Comparison Sigma 30 vs. Sony PZ 16-50 @ f5

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions
bloomoose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Like?
Comparison Sigma 30 vs. Sony PZ 16-50 @ f5
Nov 11, 2012

Shot on a tripod at ISO 1250, Exif of the Sigma image intact as I pasted the Sony image into it.

You can view and download the image here:

http://www.bloomoose.de/images/Sigma_Sony_30.jpg

-- hide signature --
 bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +10 more
creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
Re: Comparison Sigma 30 vs. Sony PZ 16-50 @ f5
In reply to bloomoose, Nov 11, 2012

Hello bloomoose

When you want to post a link to a site don't paste it directly into your reply. Click on the little "chain link" icon at the header of the reply page and paste the link there. Posting using the link icon allows your link to be active and will be able to be viewed.http://www.bloomoose.de/images/Sigma_Sony_30.jpg

Regards, Ed

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?

Wow, the 16-50 stands up pretty well against the Sigma prime. Impressive for an ultracompact zoom!

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony a6000 Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +11 more
creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?

Hello Bloomoose. Your images appear to be crops of the original images. Can you post the original size images. Many consumer grade lens do quite well in the centers, but not as good to the edges. Not seeing the images to the edges doesn't give a true comparison of the two lens. The Sigma 30mm is well known to give good results to the edges. An original size image with the Sony 16-50mm would give us a better idea of how this lens performs. I would like it to be good as it's a great size for walk around. Thank you for sharing your results.

Ed

maurus_e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?

Interesting. While sharpness on the PZ seems OK, the transitions between contrasting areas OOF look rather strange (around the ears, or from the blue cushion to the white wall). Much better on the Sigma. Is this a result of in camera processing, or an optical property?

-- hide signature --
Jawed
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
depth of field varies

The focus distance is not the same for these two shots. The Sigma focus is closer.

bloomoose
Like?
Re: depth of field varies
In reply to Jawed, Nov 11, 2012

They were shot on a tripod and I didn´t move it.

-- hide signature --
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +10 more
bloomoose
Like?
In reply to creeker, Nov 11, 2012

Thanks for the hint!

-- hide signature --
martindesu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?

creeker wrote:

Hello bloomoose

When you want to post a link to a site don't paste it directly into your reply. Click on the little "chain link" icon at the header of the reply page and paste the link there. Posting using the link icon allows your link to be active and will be able to be viewed.http://www.bloomoose.de/images/Sigma_Sony_30.jpg

Regards, Ed

Even better, embed the photo itself:

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
bloomoose
Like?
In reply to maurus_e, Nov 11, 2012

I think it is an optical property, but could be my copy and I did use some highlight recovery when processing. So it´s too early to tell.

I do see this a lot in the 16-50´s OOC corners.

-- hide signature --
bloomoose
Like?

Yes, I could post the images in original size, but there is nothing meaningful on the borders, they´re oof. So I would have to shoot somethin in plane focus, a brick wall maybe for you to judge the edges.

-- hide signature --
rogatsby
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?

bloomoose wrote:

Yes, I could post the images in original size, but there is nothing meaningful on the borders, they´re oof. So I would have to shoot somethin in plane focus, a brick wall maybe for you to judge the edges.

-- hide signature --

A landscape photo would be helpful.

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
Thanks for doing the work.

Well-thought-out from-a-tripod comparisons have been very scarce with the new lens.

If I recall correctly, you have the Sigma 19mm.  How does it compare at landscape distances with that lens or with the 16/2.8 E?

maurus_e
Like?

Thanks, bloomoose.

About the OOF transitions: Hm. Please go on with sharing your experiences with this comparison (and with the PZ in general).

-- hide signature --
Jawed
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?

bloomoose wrote:

They were shot on a tripod and I didn´t move it.

That doesn't help with anything because the ​focus​ still has to be set after you have changed lens.

bloomoose
Like?
In reply to Jawed, Nov 11, 2012

AF point was on the left eye, so if focus differs between shots, I can´t help it.

To me, though, it seems as if focus is correct. What I believe you think you see, is something else, it´s what someone called funny transitions in OOF regions in the 16-50.

-- hide signature --
ec1k
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?

Exact same ISO and shutter speed?  The PZ seems to have better contrast.

maurus_e
Like?
In reply to ec1k, Nov 11, 2012

Most probably, the PZ had in camera corrections applied (we don't know what parameters are affected, do we?) while the Sigma had no such corrections applied. This makes all conclusions about the lenses alone a bit problematic. Better contrast could also be the result of software corrections...

-- hide signature --
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,258Gear list
Like?
In reply to straylightrun, Nov 11, 2012

straylightrun wrote:

Wow, the 16-50 stands up pretty well against the Sigma prime. Impressive for an ultracompact zoom!

Pixel peeping, I see more detail in the fibers in the Sigma. Colors are more saturated on the Sony. Not bad,I suppose, but I'll wait for more samples before jumping to conclusions.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
bloomoose
Like?
In reply to maurus_e, Nov 11, 2012

No camera corrections were applied, as I developed the RAW files exactly the same, aperture, ISO were all set equal.

maurus_e wrote:

Most probably, the PZ had in camera corrections applied (we don't know what parameters are affected, do we?) while the Sigma had no such corrections applied. This makes all conclusions about the lenses alone a bit problematic. Better contrast could also be the result of software corrections...

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads