Why tilting rather than swivelling screens on Oly M 4/3 ?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,441Gear list
Like?
Why tilting rather than swivelling screens on Oly M 4/3 ?
Nov 11, 2012

While I mostly use the viewfinder, I take 20 to 30 % of images from low down.  And especially with wide angle, which I love, portrait orientation images from low down can be very effective.

Tilting screens are fine for landscape orientation images, but no help at all for portrait.  Why have Oly fitted them to their M 4/3 cameras rather than the more versatile swivelling screens?

My first decent camera, a Canon G3, had the swivel screen, and apart from my D700 (which I bought almost by accident), all my cameras since have had this feature, including the Oly E3.

Why don't Oly offer swivel screens on M 4/3?  They can't take up much more s[ace than tilting screens.

I want a camera I can get in a jacket pocket, and while I know Panasonics have swivel screen, I much prefer the Oly colour rendering.

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Nikon D700 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SidSnot
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Why tilting rather than swivelling screens on Oly M 4/3 ?
In reply to Rens, Nov 11, 2012

I don't like the swivelling screen on my GH2, I love the tilting screen on my OM-D...

Buy what suits you, there's plenty of choice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rens
Like?
In reply to SidSnot, Nov 11, 2012

SidSnot wrote:

I don't like the swivelling screen on my GH2, I love the tilting screen on my OM-D...

Buy what suits you, there's plenty of choice.

What suits you, yes, no rights and no wrongs.

But plenty of choice, no, not if you want Oly IQ in M 4/3.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,174Gear list
Like?

But that is coming too. I have GH2 and EPL5 and EPL5 indeed has better IQ, but in reality it is not what I would call big. Not whe you work with RAW. It is personal. And I love my swiveling screen MUCH more than the tilting screen on the Oly, if only to protect the screen from scratches as you can turn the screen towards the body with GH2.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
SidSnot
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?

There's lots of other things about Olympus cameras that annoy me far more than a non-swivelling screen...

Even if Oly comes out with a swivelling screen then I'm sure there will be many other things that will bug you.

Olympus cameras are full of strange design decisions. Panasonic UI and ergonomics are far better...

Then again if you really are in love with the Oly colour rendering (and don't shoot RAW) then you really do have a problem...

There really is no 'perfect' camera - they all have plusses and minuses - you just have to decide what you can and can't live with...

robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jorginho, Nov 11, 2012

Jorginho wrote:

But that is coming too. I have GH2 and EPL5 and EPL5 indeed has better IQ, but in reality it is not what I would call big. Not whe you work with RAW. It is personal. And I love my swiveling screen MUCH more than the tilting screen on the Oly, if only to protect the screen from scratches as you can turn the screen towards the body with GH2.

this is why i love the swivel screen, this and low down portrait shots. i dont get the tilt screen, seems crippled for functionality. i've heard some say they dont like the squivel screen poking to one side, but why that's any more obtrusive than pointing a camera has got me beat. yo can fold the swivel back in screen facing out or use the evf too. best of all worlds. i wish the sony sensor came attached and i'd b sold.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
mujana
Senior MemberPosts: 2,949Gear list
Like?

I too prefer swivelling screens (coming from E5 and knowing how versatile it is). Unfortunately OM-D doesn't come with one (but I still bought one...more good than bad)

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?

The lack of an articulated screen on the M5 was almost a deal breaker for me but the G5 was not available when I purchased, so I got the M5.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?

"Tilt and swivel" screens run the risk of dying/ losing connection if they are not surrounded by a strong build, I have a tilt and swivel screen die on one of my Sony camcorders but can still use the EVF likewise my GH1 screen has started being buggy the last few days however my L10 screens which by far get the most use and are older are fine :-]

-- hide signature --

living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.YouDidntDidYou.com/blog

sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,241Gear list
Like?

Jorginho wrote:

I love my swiveling screen MUCH more than the tilting screen on the Oly, if only to protect the screen from scratches as you can turn the screen towards the body with GH2.

That is a big advantage to swivel screens, along with being able to shoot from whatever odd angle you find you need to. As far as reliability, I have one in my 2 1/2 year old E-620, and haven't had any trouble; Olympus does know how to build these.

As for the question "why tilt?" $, that simple. Less moving parts and complications in electronics.

A plus to tilt screens, they're instant to use, just pull it down and you're in business. Swivels have to be folded out and turned, and with my E-620 switched from OVF to the LCD. Sounds silly, but it's just that much less convenient that I rarely find myself using it.

Another plus for tilt, is you can shoot discretely by not having to hold the camera up to your face or at arms length; just open and angle it and shoot with it at your waist. Nice for public places.

Both good, and either is much better than fixed.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,591Gear list
Like?
You were absent when they asked everyone what they wanted. (NT)
-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Rens
Like?
Pany RAW
In reply to SidSnot, Nov 11, 2012

SidSnot wrote:

Even if Oly comes out with a swivelling screen then I'm sure there will be many other things that will bug you.

There's something less than perfect about every camera.  Some imperfections bug more than others.

Then again if you really are in love with the Oly colour rendering (and don't shoot RAW) then you really do have a problem...

I've always shot RAW plus JPEG, and abandoned the JPEGs on my GH 1 almost immediately.  But I found even processing RAW in ACR I couldn't get the colours I'd so loved from the earlier E3.  This could have been my poor processing technique, but I've been perfectly happy with my ACR rendering of Oly E3 and Nikon D700 and D5100 RAW files.

There really is no 'perfect' camera - they all have plusses and minuses - you just have to decide what you can and can't live with...

Of course.  And I'll live with the limitations of a tilting screen rather than Pany files. I also have trouble with the Pany wheel you have to push in to change its function from aperture to EV compensation.  I find I push it in without intending to.

My only other candidate for a pocketable camera is the Sony NEX 6, which also has just the tilting screen. As of now I'm leaning towards the Oly OMD.  I'd also get the very compact collapsing Oly 9-18 lens - a pity I gave one away to my son with the GH1.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Rens
Like?
Re: You were absent when they asked everyone what they wanted. (NT)
In reply to Bob Tullis, Nov 11, 2012

Your point is?

We all have preferences but were all absent.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Rens
Like?
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, Nov 11, 2012

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

... likewise my GH1 screen has started being buggy the last few days however my L10 screens which by far get the most use and are older are fine :-]

No design (of anything) exists that works perfectly every time and for ever.

Over the past decade I've owned:

Canon G3 (excellent for its time)
Sony R1 (Sony's usual curate's egg, but I'm still using it at work many years on)
Oly E3 (heavily used for a couple of years)
Panasonic GH1 (not long with me but still in regular use)
Nikon D5100 (excellent but too big for any pocket)

My wife has owned a Canon G3 and Pany G1, which have both been regularly used in long photgraphic sessions for her work.

All these seven cameras have swivel screens and none has given problems of any kind.

I think if yours is being buggy (whatever you mean by this), then you're unlucky.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?

Rens wrote:

While I mostly use the viewfinder, I take 20 to 30 % of images from low down. And especially with wide angle, which I love, portrait orientation images from low down can be very effective.

Tilting screens are fine for landscape orientation images, but no help at all for portrait. Why have Oly fitted them to their M 4/3 cameras rather than the more versatile swivelling screens?

My first decent camera, a Canon G3, had the swivel screen, and apart from my D700 (which I bought almost by accident), all my cameras since have had this feature, including the Oly E3.

Why don't Oly offer swivel screens on M 4/3? They can't take up much more s[ace than tilting screens.

I want a camera I can get in a jacket pocket, and while I know Panasonics have swivel screen, I much prefer the Oly colour rendering.

. . . Swivel screens may be useful for portrait orientation but I find them clumsy and awkward to use regardless of what orientation is being used. Tilting screens may less versatile but are far better ergonomically for me and I won't likely ever buy another camera that doesn't have one.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,529
Like?
Have used both

I have a swiveling screen on my E3 (I believe this was the first dslr to have this setup), and a tilting screen on both EM5 and E330.

Both are good, but I really prefer the tilt to the swivel... it's more compact. In order to extend the screen out on the swivel, it has to stick out to the side, and it puts the image off of the plane of the camera/lens. The tilt screen is both more compact in use, and it keeps the image you're viewing in line with the camera body and lens - just seems more natural to me.

OTOH, one thing I really like about the swivel screen is being able to flip it around and protect it when not in use. Also works better for self portraits.

Tomato, tomahtoe...

Rens
Like?
Re: Have used both
In reply to TrapperJohn, Nov 11, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

OTOH, one thing I really like about the swivel screen is being able to flip it around and protect it when not in use. Also works better for self portraits.

And you can take low pictures in portrait orientation.  For landscape, the tilting screen is fine.

-- hide signature --

Rens

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,100Gear list
Like?

Rens wrote:

Canon G3 (excellent for its time)
Sony R1 (Sony's usual curate's egg, but I'm still using it at work many years on)

I had never heard this expression before, but it's great!  Before I looked it up, I said to myself, that has to be a British English term...and voila, it was.

I think if yours is being buggy (whatever you mean by this), then you're unlucky.

In electronics, "buggy" means faulty in operation, so I suspect his LCDs are having some kindof connection problems from heavy use over time.

-J

StevenN
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
I agree: Prefer swiveling screen

Jorginho wrote:

And I love my swiveling screen MUCH more than the tilting screen on the Oly, if only to protect the screen from scratches as you can turn the screen towards the body with GH2.

I love the swiveling screen on my GH2. It it so much more versatile. Plus, as you mentioned, you can turn the screen towards the body to protect the screen from scratches. I don't want to carry my camera over my shoulder, with the screen getting scratched by the rivets on my jeans as I walk.

At least Nikon DSLRs come with plastic (and replaceable) screen shields. Yes, I know you can buy a screen protector for the OM-D, but you shouldn't have to.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

StevenN's gear list:StevenN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Fujifilm X-A1 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +4 more
rrockley
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
Re: Why tilting rather than swiveling screens on Oly M 4/3 ?

Rens wrote:

While I mostly use the viewfinder, I take 20 to 30 % of images from low down. And especially with wide angle, which I love, portrait orientation images from low down can be very effective.

Tilting screens are fine for landscape orientation images, but no help at all for portrait. Why have Oly fitted them to their M 4/3 cameras rather than the more versatile swivelling screens?

Obviously people's opinions differ, but I found the swiveling screen to be virtually useless. For the life of me I can't see how you can hand-hold a camera with a screen hanging out to the left. The tilting screen, OTOH, is great for those low shots - you can hold the camera with both hands.

The only good thing about the swiveling screen, IMO, was that you could turn it round completely so it wasn't visible any more.

rrockley's gear list:rrockley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads