Has anybody submitted current Canon rebate and denied?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions
xlotus
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Has anybody submitted current Canon rebate and denied?
Nov 10, 2012

I bought a T4i and a Canon Pixma printer to qualify for the current rebate from Adorama.

I followed their instruction very carefully and submitted my form via certified mail.

However, when I checked the status 10 days later, the status is "program violation". The explanation: they can't honor the rebate because the purchase did not fulfill the term of the program. This is vague. I don't know what they were referring to.

I am very upset right now. Canon is cheating their customers.

Has anybody here submitted for the same/similar rebate and having problem like I do?

Thanks.

xlotus's gear list:xlotus's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Pentax Q Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 650D +33 more
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,092
Like?
Re: Has anybody submitted current Canon rebate and denied?
In reply to xlotus, Nov 11, 2012

Who did you buy from and what is this 'violation'? I've heard of people getting rejected but they had a chance to get the details straightened out. At least with the rebate I'm waiting on from my purchase at B&H the rebate company has a phone number with real live people who answer the phone. Don't give up yet. Canon does a lot of these rebates and it's the rebate processor who handles the rebates themselves.

I've seen posts by people who got their rebate no problem; I just checked and though mine went in about six weeks ago it still has no data on my submission. FORTUNATELY I sent the rebate stuff registered with proof of delivery, and I have a complete photocopy of everything I sent. I'll be checking with them this coming week.

Wouldn't surprise me if the rebate company makes out on some of these if they turn them down or 'lose' them but I don't think it's Canon's doing. They are a camera company, not a rebate processor (or shyster used car lot).

-- hide signature --

Do people really spend $700 on a camera so they can take a picture of a squirrel or a duck?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mojorisn
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

Here you go:

http://cogdogblog.com/2010/04/18/canon-rebate-hell/

I sent a rebate in 3 weeks ago on a printer + 5DII package. The acbcanonrebate web site status states that "Payment Approved" but it also said that it will be another 4-6 weeks before it is mailed. I have done a few Canon rebates over the years. I never bother with certified mail, etc. I have been lucky and have not been denied, but others have.

Here is another resource on lens rebates but it applies in general:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Rebates.aspx

Les

mojorisn's gear list:mojorisn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?

Something is the matter, all I can say I got my rebate on my 15-85 within three weeks (as on Canon's conditions in my country). Get in touch with them you'll get what is yours.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Midwest
Like?

The first time I called I was told that it can take 5 to 6 weeks for the rebate to get put into the system after it gets there. At this point I'm at about 5 weeks. I have to say that the person on the phone seemed very polite and not like she was just trying to get rid of me. I will check with them this coming week though and let them know I do have proof that it was delivered on a certain date.

This is the first time I've ever done certified mail on a rebate send-in, but it's a $400 rebate and I don't want there to be any way out of paying me!

-- hide signature --

Do people really spend $700 on a camera so they can take a picture of a squirrel or a duck?

xlotus
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Nov 11, 2012

It's from Adorama.

The wording is vague. It does not say what's wrong with the rebate submission.

What I do know, I followed the instruction precisely.

I filled up the rebate form, attached the cutouts of the 12-digit UPC bar codes from both the DSLR and printer boxes, circled both the DSLR and printer prices and date of purchase on the sales receipt in which they appeared together.

I read the terms of rebate over and over and I did not find anything missing from my rebate submissoin before I mailed it to the address given on the form.

I need to call them on Tuesday next week.

This is not the first time I did mail-in rebate for Canon. In fact, I have done this several times and most of the time it went through just fine.

Several years ago, there was a lot of people who didn't get their rebates and Canon even got involved helping their customers who didn't get their rebates. Then Canon changed to instant rebate while still doing mail-in rebate for camera + printer purchase.

Since this is Canon program, they are responsible to make sure that their customers are treated fairly. A lot of the rebate processing centers are almost like scumbags in which they seem to try really hard to deny you your rebate. Because this is also Adorama-specific rebate, they are also responsible in making sure that all the necessary details are provided to their customers.

I think this may well be my last mail-in rebate game with Canon. Next time I will stick with those companies who provide instant rebate.

xlotus
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Nov 11, 2012

Mine is also worth $400.

It seems that you have been played as well. It must be convenient for them to delay the payment as long as they can.

I won't be so surprised if this so-called rebate processing center is no more than ex-con Joe Blog cs running their business from a shack.

mojorisn
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

I think the other reason they delay sending the rebate, is to make sure there will be no return of the camera/lens. Some retailers who sell under this program have up to a 45 day return period.

Having said that, it really doesn't make sense: 1) I don't think you can return a camera with the UPC code cut out of the box  2) They delay sending the rebate WAY beyond the return period anyway.

The longer they delay, the more $ is in it for them. Its very frustrating for many.

mojorisn's gear list:mojorisn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Midwest
Like?

xlotus wrote:

Mine is also worth $400.

It seems that you have been played as well. It must be convenient for them to delay the payment as long as they can.

I won't be so surprised if this so-called rebate processing center is no more than ex-con Joe Blog cs running their business from a shack.

I don't consider that I've been 'played' - the fact that I got through to someone in person quickly who was polite tells me that. Also there have been people who had issues with getting their rebates in the past and they managed to get them resolved.  I seriously doubt that Canon would ever deliberately use a company which would treat their customers - many of whom are professionals - dishonestly.

The woman did say that it could take 5 or 6 weeks for the rebate to show up on the system. At 6 weeks I will be calling, and I can tell them exactly when it was delivered to them because I sent it registered. I will get my $400. Also I have read of others here who did get their rebates without a problem.

-- hide signature --

Midwest
Like?

xlotus wrote:

It's from Adorama.

The wording is vague. It does not say what's wrong with the rebate submission.

What I do know, I followed the instruction precisely.

I filled up the rebate form, attached the cutouts of the 12-digit UPC bar codes from both the DSLR and printer boxes, circled both the DSLR and printer prices and date of purchase on the sales receipt in which they appeared together.

I read the terms of rebate over and over and I did not find anything missing from my rebate submissoin before I mailed it to the address given on the form.

I need to call them on Tuesday next week.

This is not the first time I did mail-in rebate for Canon. In fact, I have done this several times and most of the time it went through just fine.

Several years ago, there was a lot of people who didn't get their rebates and Canon even got involved helping their customers who didn't get their rebates. Then Canon changed to instant rebate while still doing mail-in rebate for camera + printer purchase.

Since this is Canon program, they are responsible to make sure that their customers are treated fairly. A lot of the rebate processing centers are almost like scumbags in which they seem to try really hard to deny you your rebate. Because this is also Adorama-specific rebate, they are also responsible in making sure that all the necessary details are provided to their customers.

I think this may well be my last mail-in rebate game with Canon. Next time I will stick with those companies who provide instant rebate.

Call the number of the rebate place (it's on the form) and ask about it. Since they rejected it they obviously did receive it. There was a question early on in the B&H rebate program as to whether the receipt wording from B&H would be acceptable, and I checked with B&H who verified that it would be. (I have those emails saved.)

Canon seems to do quite a few of these rebates. If there is another camera company that would offer a pro level printer, a decent model DSLR and two kit zooms and another $100 worth of stuff for $599 outright, I've never heard of them.  I paid $999 and will get that $400, and I think you can get yours if you call them and ask nicely why your rebate claim was rejected. It should be possible to remedy whatever was wrong.

-- hide signature --

guinness2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,671
Like?

xlotus wrote:

I bought a T4i and a Canon Pixma printer to qualify for the current rebate from Adorama.

I followed their instruction very carefully and submitted my form via certified mail.

However, when I checked the status 10 days later, the status is "program violation". The explanation: they can't honor the rebate because the purchase did not fulfill the term of the program. This is vague. I don't know what they were referring to.

I am very upset right now. Canon is cheating their customers.

I joined more Canon cashbacks, it went smooth, even not quick. I doubt Canon is the one cheating, maybe Adorama ? Talk with them.

Has anybody here submitted for the same/similar rebate and having problem like I do?

Thanks.

xlotus
Like?
In reply to guinness2, Nov 14, 2012

I joined more Canon cashbacks, it went smooth, even not quick. I doubt Canon is the one cheating, maybe Adorama ? Talk with them.

No, it is not Adorama at fault. It's a rule made up by Canon rebate processing center.

I said it is made up because it is not mentioned anywhere in the terms of the rebate.

On my Adorama invoice, it showed that both the camera and printer status are B/O (back ordered). The only reason why it's printed this way because Adorama shipped the order in three different packages (Canon photo paper, Canon printer, and Camera body + lens + other bonus).

Of the 3 packages, only the invoice inside the Canon photo paper box that listed all of the items because it was the first one to ship. That's why both the camera body and printer are shown as backordered.

The terms of the rebate mentioned that both camera and printer must appear on a same invoice but it didn't mention anything about status of shipment.

I argued that they did receive the cardboard cutouts from the camera and the printer which means both items were delivered but she insisted. So I called Adorama customer service who promptly generated a new invoice/receipt for me that showed all items shipped.

When I called back the rebate center, they said I had to wait for a denial letter before I can resubmit. So naturally my next question is, when can I expect to get the letter? They told me this week. It sounded like they had not mailed me the denial letter and if I didn't call to check on my rebate status, most likely they will never mail me the letter.

The whole ordeal just makes Canon looks really bad in my eyes. I am sure if you are a customer in a brick and mortar store and they treated you like this, you would probably stay away from them.

ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?
A Different Perspective
In reply to xlotus, Nov 15, 2012

xlotus wrote:

No, it is not Adorama at fault. It's a rule made up by Canon rebate processing center.

I said it is made up because it is not mentioned anywhere in the terms of the rebate.

On my Adorama invoice, it showed that both the camera and printer status are B/O (back ordered). The only reason why it's printed this way because Adorama shipped the order in three different packages (Canon photo paper, Canon printer, and Camera body + lens + other bonus).

Of the 3 packages, only the invoice inside the Canon photo paper box that listed all of the items because it was the first one to ship. That's why both the camera body and printer are shown as backordered.

The terms of the rebate mentioned that both camera and printer must appear on a same invoice but it didn't mention anything about status of shipment.

I argued that they did receive the cardboard cutouts from the camera and the printer which means both items were delivered but she insisted. So I called Adorama customer service who promptly generated a new invoice/receipt for me that showed all items shipped.

I do think this was Adorama's fault, not Canon.

Canon was very specific about the terms of the rebate.  Adorama participated in the Canon program, for what I assume was a material increase in sales and profits, but didn't bother to provide their customers with the documentation Canon said was needed for the rebate.

The same holds true with the thread a while back about B&H not exactly meeting the terms of the rebate, even though Canon is apparently honoring the terms in this case.

We aren't talking about mom & pop camera shops.  If a major national camera retailer participates in a big rebate program, and a specific form of documentation is required for the rebate, then they have an absolute requirement to provide the documentation in a form that meets the requirements of the rebate.

That isn't rocket science and for a major retailer, this isn't that hard.  The rebate language fits on one page.  That's nothing from a legal perspective, indentures and such routinely run in the many hundreds of pages.

Adorama should be ashamed of itself.  Placing the blame on Canon and saying they are trying some sort of scam is simply ignorant, IMHO.

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
xlotus
Like?
Really? read again...
In reply to ProtoPhoto, Nov 15, 2012

You are missing something important.

Let's start over:

1. Did I complete the rebate form correctly? Yes. Checked.

2. Did I write down the 9 digit alphanumeric printer serial number? Yes. Checked.

3. Did I provide a copy of Adorama sales receipt with the purchase date and purchase price circled, both camera and printer appear on the same page? Yes. Checked.

4. Did I provide the original proof of purchase, the 12-digit UPC barcode cardboard cutout from both the camera box and the printer box leaving a hole in each box? Yes. Checked.

5. Did I mail to the correct address? Yes. Checked.

6. Did I make a copy of all the documentation? Yes. Checked.

Let me tell you I ran through this checklist over and over and over and over again to make sure I did not miss anything.

There is NOWHERE in the terms of offer that said about the backorder status on the receipt. Beside, they GOT the UPC cutouts which rendered the backorder status on the invoice meaningless.

Yes, you may have a point that a Adorama could have provided me with a rebate receipt. However in the past, I had been able to use their regular invoice without a problem.

The biggest fault is still with Canon and it's rebate center for nitpicking and making up stuff to deny and delay rebate to its customers.

They could have let me fax in the new invoice I just got from Adorama, but NO, I have to wait for a denial letter which who knows WHEN and IF it will come.

You probably did not know that several years ago, Canon had to answer flood of complaints from many customers for denying their rebate submissions during several rounds of mail-in rebates.

If I were Canon and I saw a rebate form that satisfied checklist #1 to #5, there should be absolutely NO REASON to deny honoring the rebate or using frivolous delay tactics.

Canon should be ashamed of itself.

I argued that they did receive the cardboard cutouts from the camera and the printer which means both items were delivered but she insisted. So I called Adorama customer service who promptly generated a new invoice/receipt for me that showed all items shipped.

Adorama should be ashamed of itself. Placing the blame on Canon and saying they are trying some sort of scam is simply ignorant, IMHO.

brian1366
Regular MemberPosts: 385Gear list
Like?
Re: Really? read again...

My canon rebate form stated that the price paid must be shown on the receipt. Did yours stipulate this and did the back order receipt show the price?

brian1366's gear list:brian1366's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?

You are missing my point.  I'm not suggesting you did one thing wrong.

Adorama is a big boy, they sold a lot of $500 to $1,000 packages.  All they had to do was make absolutely sure that they generated the paperwork exactly as required by Canon.

They didn't.  They sent you a backorder receipt, because that is what their system automatically generates with their internal processing.  They did not bother to conform their system to what Canon required for the rebate.  At the least, they could have sent a separate sales receipt once everything had shipped, that crossed the t's and dotted the i's, and said to use that for your rebate.

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Midwest
Like?

xlotus wrote:

Yes, you may have a point that a Adorama could have provided me with a rebate receipt. However in the past, I had been able to use their regular invoice without a problem.

The biggest fault is still with Canon and it's rebate center for nitpicking and making up stuff to deny and delay rebate to its customers.

If I were Canon and I saw a rebate form that satisfied checklist #1 to #5, there should be absolutely NO REASON to deny honoring the rebate or using frivolous delay tactics.

Canon should be ashamed of itself.

I think Canon should address this. But I also have zero doubt that their agreement with the rebate processing company states that if a rebate is awarded that does not meet the criteria, the $400 (or whatever) will come out of the rebate folks' pocket, not Canon's. I am sure that the people who process the incoming rebates are made well aware of this.

Yes, this needs to be fixed, but just because someone always was OK with something in the past doesn't mean they will continue to. Someone once posted that his rebate was held up because he didn't cut out the whole cardboard with the barcode, but just peeled off the paper top layer because despite the instructions he had 'always done it that way in the past'.

It's frustrating all round and needs to be improved but Canon is in the business of selling pro and good consumer quality cameras, not making money conning people.

-- hide signature --

iancrowe
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
Re: A Different Perspective
In reply to ProtoPhoto, Nov 15, 2012

ProtoPhoto wrote:

Canon was very specific about the terms of the rebate. Adorama participated in the Canon program, for what I assume was a material increase in sales and profits, but didn't bother to provide their customers with the documentation Canon said was needed for the rebate.

The same holds true with the thread a while back about B&H not exactly meeting the terms of the rebate, even though Canon is apparently honoring the terms in this case.

We aren't talking about mom & pop camera shops. If a major national camera retailer participates in a big rebate program, and a specific form of documentation is required for the rebate, then they have an absolute requirement to provide the documentation in a form that meets the requirements of the rebate.

That isn't rocket science and for a major retailer, this isn't that hard. The rebate language fits on one page. That's nothing from a legal perspective, indentures and such routinely run in the many hundreds of pages.

Adorama should be ashamed of itself. Placing the blame on Canon and saying they are trying some sort of scam is simply ignorant, IMHO.

I really don't think yoiu can blame Adorama for this.

Firs ask why you shop at Adorama? Answer because among other things they are cheap.

How do they achieve this? By automating the process as much as possible. They have a system which takes order from the internet cross checks with the inventory management system and produces an invoice and a packing list for the grunts in the warehouse. The guy in the warehouse prints out all the documentation (packing list delivery label and invoice), selects the items from the shelves puts them in a box with appropriate packaging and the invoice, slaps the delivery label on the box and out the door it all goes. What is on the invoice matches what's in the box and if there is a shortage it is indicated as such on the invoice.

The problem comes up when Canon comes up with this mail in rebate game. Note that this is really Canon's game not Adorama's. Basically Canon launched the T4i while they had a shed full of the T3i's (and possibly printers too). The only way to make the T3i's attractive to the punter now the shiny new T4i out there is to discount and fairly heavily but you don't want to alienate the wholesalers and retailers who currently have stock by announcing a new much lower price which will wipe out the profit margins on their current stock of T3i's. So what Canon does is construct a bundle which comes to a substantial price ($999 in this case) and offer a whopping 40% off. Then you set a few conditions and ensure the money back is in the form of a pre-loaded credit card. This means a couple of things, first of all there is the opportunity for people to fail to meet the conditions of the mail-in which means you don't have to pay them the rebate (the average now drops below 40%). Secondly you hang on to the money say 8 weeks while you are "processing" the rebate and another 3-4 weeks while the customer gets round to using the card and possibly another few weeks until the the bill comes due from the credit card company.

The problem is that there is no incentive for Adorama to change their system to generate what is effectively a false invoice (one which does not reflect the true state of affairs regarding goods shipped) for the situation where one or more items are temporarily out of stock. Changing an accounting/stock control system for something like this is a major effort (probably by an external software house) which for at most a couple of hundred orders per year is not economic. It is much better handled by the customer contacting customer services and requesting a special copy (which apparently they were happy to do).

I suspect once the "correct" paperwork is submitted the claim will be authorised and the credit card will be shipped out. Meanwhile Canon have hung on to that $400 for an extra 4-6 weeks.

It's mainly down to how the mail-in rebate fulfilment company interpret the conditions.

Ian

JerryDavis
Contributing MemberPosts: 864
Like?
In reply to iancrowe, Nov 15, 2012

iancrowe wrote:

ProtoPhoto wrote:

Canon was very specific about the terms of the rebate. Adorama participated in the Canon program, for what I assume was a material increase in sales and profits, but didn't bother to provide their customers with the documentation Canon said was needed for the rebate.

We aren't talking about mom & pop camera shops. If a major national camera retailer participates in a big rebate program, and a specific form of documentation is required for the rebate, then they have an absolute requirement to provide the documentation in a form that meets the requirements of the rebate.

That isn't rocket science and for a major retailer, this isn't that hard. The rebate language fits on one page. That's nothing from a legal perspective, indentures and such routinely run in the many hundreds of pages.

I really don't think yoiu can blame Adorama for this.

Firs ask why you shop at Adorama? Answer because among other things they are cheap.

How do they achieve this? By automating the process as much as possible. They have a system which takes order from the internet cross checks with the inventory management system and produces an invoice and a packing list for the grunts in the warehouse. The guy in the warehouse prints out all the documentation (packing list delivery label and invoice), selects the items from the shelves puts them in a box with appropriate packaging and the invoice, slaps the delivery label on the box and out the door it all goes. What is on the invoice matches what's in the box and if there is a shortage it is indicated as such on the invoice.

The problem comes up when Canon comes up with this mail in rebate game. Note that this is really Canon's game not Adorama's. Basically Canon launched the T4i while they had a shed full of the T3i's (and possibly printers too). The only way to make the T3i's attractive to the punter now the shiny new T4i out there is to discount and fairly heavily but you don't want to alienate the wholesalers and retailers who currently have stock by announcing a new much lower price which will wipe out the profit margins on their current stock of T3i's. So what Canon does is construct a bundle which comes to a substantial price ($999 in this case) and offer a whopping 40% off. Then you set a few conditions and ensure the money back is in the form of a pre-loaded credit card. This means a couple of things, first of all there is the opportunity for people to fail to meet the conditions of the mail-in which means you don't have to pay them the rebate (the average now drops below 40%). Secondly you hang on to the money say 8 weeks while you are "processing" the rebate and another 3-4 weeks while the customer gets round to using the card and possibly another few weeks until the the bill comes due from the credit card company.

The problem is that there is no incentive for Adorama to change their system to generate what is effectively a false invoice (one which does not reflect the true state of affairs regarding goods shipped) for the situation where one or more items are temporarily out of stock. Changing an accounting/stock control system for something like this is a major effort (probably by an external software house) which for at most a couple of hundred orders per year is not economic. It is much better handled by the customer contacting customer services and requesting a special copy (which apparently they were happy to do).

I suspect once the "correct" paperwork is submitted the claim will be authorised and the credit card will be shipped out. Meanwhile Canon have hung on to that $400 for an extra 4-6 weeks.

It's mainly down to how the mail-in rebate fulfilment company interpret the conditions.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I couldn't have explained it any better.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Greenbaum Adorama-Supervisor

iancrowe
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
In reply to JerryDavis, Nov 15, 2012

Thanks Jerry

I should point out that I have no connection to Adorama. In fact living in the UK I don't even buy from them. I just have enough years under my belt to have a little understanding of how the new e-commerce retail world works.

I take my hat off to Jerry and his colleagues in the industry. Selling non-necessity goods into a tight market when the prices are consistently falling is almost the definition of nightmare.

Ian

P.S. I'm kicking myself for the huge typo in the second line! Grump!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads