The biggest Sony negative: service and support

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
It's regional...
In reply to taamberg, Nov 14, 2012

For example, here in Singapore, I can drop off my camera or lens at *any* Sonystyle branch. Usually within 2 days I get a phonecall from the tech working on the issue if he needs clarification. I get the camera back within 5 days, and can pick it up at any SonyStyle of my choice.

If it was a minor issue (AF focus calibration, or if it's an issue that could cost a bit but I decide to live with it because it's not really bugging me) then I usually get it all back FOC.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,257
Like?
Re: True
In reply to OntarioJohn, Nov 14, 2012

OntarioJohn wrote:

The poster minced no words calling them unethical, they milk people and do things in an illegal manner and are unprofessional.

That's correct, but you have to be precise. It's a little short of what I said. I said they did things which were both unethical and illegal. It's an important distinction for your argument. Libel (side note: you meant libel or defamation  not slander) applies to statements of fact, not statements of opinion. Stating that Sony is unethical is an opinion; it is not consider libel. The same thing goes for milking people. You could state those about Mother Teresa and Ghandi, and if they were still alive, they'd have no basis to sue you. Stating that Sony breaks the law, on the other hand, is a statement of fact. That is a place where Sony could legitimately have a lawsuit if I were wrong.

Fortunately, in this case, I have a neat paper trail, at least for their interactions with me. I suspect it'd be easy to pull up similar paper trails for similar forum posts I've seen from others. If Sony were to sue me (or vica-versa), I suspect that the most likely outcome is that we'd both be out tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, I'd be out days of time in time spent in courts, and in the end, I'd be awarded $700 from Sony. This is not a great outcome for either side, which is why, in the end, I let them cheat me.

I did not feel the need to repost because I've posted it many times before, and because no one asked for it (if you're curious, please look over my forum post history, in particular, looking for the word 'a55').

I believe you might be the first person to accuse me of defamation. In particular, as was pointed out to you, you did this without even asking for evidence (even after this was pointed out to you). This is something to consider for your future forum interactions.

rob asnong
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
Re: The biggest Sony negative: service and support

I think this is a more regional problem.

Till now I needed a repair two times on my A77, living in Belgium, Europe.

First issue was the broken O-ring on the front dialer. Sony replaced it within ten days, delivered it at my home without any costs.

Second repair was the joystick, which didn't respond anymore. Same story, about ten days repair time and home delivered without costs.

Service good enough for me till now.

Rob

-- hide signature --

www.picasaweb.google.be/alphamember

rob asnong's gear list:rob asnong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +9 more
GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
Re: The biggest Sony negative: service and support

Take a look at the Nikon FX forum and see how happy they are with the Nikon service and support.

9000AF
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?
No experience with support but very good one with service.
In reply to GuyMcKie, Nov 15, 2012

I think you have to differentiate between  support  and service. While the OP had issues with  receiving product  support, others mention service. I had 2 positive experiences with service so far, the folks in Laredo came through for me both times. Now I have my 24/2 there, they called me to confirm that they had received it and that they would call or email me with follow-ups as part of the "Sony cares" program . No complaints here, as good or better than what I have heard from other large companies so far.

9000AF's gear list:9000AF's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads