RX100 Control Ring Not Working?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Questions
Franks38
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
RX100 Control Ring Not Working?
Nov 10, 2012

The control ring on my Sony RX100 has stopped working...I checked to see if it was on; it was set at Standard but no settings show up on the LCD when I turn it in any mode (PASM). I switched the control ring setting to Shutter Speed, but again no setting options were displayed in any mode. I checked Friedman's book but didn't see any suggestions...I assume the problem is some setting I have in the camera, but I can't think of any changes I made that would stop the control ring from showing information...the ring turns as usual.  I appreciate any suggestions...

ANSWER:
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,866Gear list
Like?
did you try a reset to factory defaults ?..nt
In reply to Franks38, Nov 10, 2012
-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Franks38
Like?
Re: RX100 Control Ring Not Working?

Problem Solved--RESET the camera to the default settings...so it was some kind of software glitch and not a mechanical problem...I dropped a note to Gary Friedman asking if his book had a solution...he replied quickly that if it were a software problem a RESET would return the control ring operation to normal...if not, then I had a mechanical problem.  Fortunately, it turned out to be software. Many thanks to Gary Friedman....Frank

Franks38
Like?
Re: did you try a reset to factory defaults ?..nt
In reply to Marti58, Nov 10, 2012

Thanks...Gary Friedman suggested that and it worked...hadn't occurred to me...thank you for the reply...Frank

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?
Re: did you try a reset to factory defaults ?..nt

Franks38 wrote:

Thanks...Gary Friedman suggested that and it worked...hadn't occurred to me...thank you for the reply...Frank

i dont own the camera or the book but often thats a good way to start with any camera.

anyhow glad it solved your problem.

cheers Marti

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
gp photo
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to Franks38, Nov 14, 2012

I hate to say this but I also had a problem with the control ring not working properly.  If I am in for example P,A,S, or M mode, no matter what I change the control ring to in the menu, it stays on focus.  I was in New York for the photo show and showed it to a guy at the Sony booth who was very familiar with the camera.  He couldn't make it work properly either so he reset the camera and it worked for a while but is now stuck on focus again.  Does anyone from Sony monitor these forums?  Otherwise I love the camera and hope this if fixed with a firmware update.

gp photo's gear list:gp photo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?
you and franks...
In reply to gp photo, Nov 14, 2012

are the first who seem to report this as far as i recall, so lets see if franks.. one keeps working as it should.

a FW fix based on one user is not likely.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

walker29
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Franks38, Nov 18, 2012

Focus Mode > DMF and/or MF Assist > On can have an effect on the control ring not doing what you set it to do under Control Ring.

SilentMountain
Like?
In reply to walker29, Mar 2, 2013

walker29 wrote:

Focus Mode > DMF and/or MF Assist > On can have an effect on the control ring not doing what you set it to do under Control Ring.

This fixed the problem for me. While messing around with the Fn button settings, I set Focus Mode to DMF, and this disabled the A/S/P Mode Control Ring Functions. Choosing another Focus Mode re-enabled the functions. Much better than a system reset!

DidierML
Like?
In reply to Franks38, 3 months ago

I have a similar problem. I bought a refurbished one and the control ring just don't work. However, the display shows his "function". I got no results no matter what option I chose in the settings. I tried restoring the factory settings - without success... I'm a little sad, cause this is a really great camera.

gp photo
Like?
In reply to DidierML, 3 months ago

thanks for your post.  It is a great camera and I keep having to reset it (and lose my saved settings) to get the control ring to work.  Obviously there is also another problem since you are experiencing something different.  Hopefully Sony will notice and issue a firmware update for the RX100.  we can't be the only ones experiencing problems.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
herojig
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to gp photo, 2 months ago

gp photo wrote:

I hate to say this but I also had a problem with the control ring not working properly. If I am in for example P,A,S, or M mode, no matter what I change the control ring to in the menu, it stays on focus. I was in New York for the photo show and showed it to a guy at the Sony booth who was very familiar with the camera. He couldn't make it work properly either so he reset the camera and it worked for a while but is now stuck on focus again. Does anyone from Sony monitor these forums? Otherwise I love the camera and hope this if fixed with a firmware update.

Same problem here, just got mine last week and today it locked up and I had to reset to get the control ring working again.

herojig's gear list:herojig's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D
herojig
Like?
Re: you and franks...
In reply to Marti58, 2 months ago

How about two?

gp photo
Like?
In reply to walker29, 2 months ago

Thanks!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
herojig
Like?
In reply to walker29, 2 months ago

thx for that, saved me from a second reset!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads