D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions
simon65
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
Nov 10, 2012

Can it really be true...? 
"The D5200 uses a similar viewfinder to the D5100, ..., a not-especially-impressive 0.78x magnification. It's arguably the least-impressive aspect of the entire camera"
"Disappointingly the D5200 doesn't have an eye sensor either to turn off the rear screen when you're using the viewfinder, so it can flicker away distractingly at you, turning off as you half-press the shutter then lighting up again when you take your finger away" DPR

I've been waiting for the D5200 for some time and really praying that Nikon would have the wit to do something about the D5100's cramped viewfinder, and its the seriously outdated omission of an eye sensor for turning the rear screen off. I think Canon introduced such sensors on their introductory basic compact DSLRs around about 2002, and yet here we are in 2012 and Nikon still haven't got round to adding one in the med range DSLRs.

Nikon its appalling. Just who do you think we are? I'm not going to splash out my hard won cash on a DSLR with a micro viewfinder, and which doesn't even come equipped with a $10 sensor for preventing the rear screen from flickering in my eyes when I'm trying to compose a shot.

Woeful effort Nikon. D minus (again). Try joining the 21st century.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jakes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,517
Like?
Re: D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

simon65 wrote: .

Nikon its appalling. Just who do you think we are? I'm not going to splash out my hard won cash on a DSLR with a micro viewfinder, and which doesn't even come equipped with a $10 sensor for preventing the rear screen from flickering in my eyes when I'm trying to compose a shot.

.

OK then, don't.

-- hide signature --

jakes
WSSA# 107

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Re: D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

simon65 wrote:

Can it really be true...?

... true that you are a crybaby? Yes, it's very, very true. Very.

I'm not going to splash out my hard won cash on a DSLR with a micro viewfinder,

Warm some milk, have your mommy rub your tummy, then don't buy it. Nikon will be just fine without you. I hear Canon and Olympus make cameras...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

flip the lcd screen round or turn it off

-- hide signature --

one by one the penguins steal my sanity

 illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Agree..
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

0.78x is pretty pathetic even my old Km5d from 2005 had a 0.83x VF, some of the budget Pentax models had not bad penta mirror viewfinders too. The K-30 has a pretty decent penta prism VF that is much larger and 100% yet costs significantly less than the D5200

The rear screen being on is an issue shared with Pentax too only the half press of the shutter turns it off. I believe it was Minolta who brought the eye sensor in with the Dynax 7 35mm semi pro film body in 2000..and it works esp well for DSLR's that don't have a top panel LCD

I suppose it's Nikon's flawed thinking from years past in action again. They'll port down the (questionable but nice sounding) 39 point AF system from the D7k..beef up the fps a bit, but completely ignore the calls for a better viewfinder, proper hard controls for ISO and WB, proper support for wireless flash/Auto FP, a lock switch so that you don't change AF points by accident again all on deaf ears.

But they will sell a ton of them because 24mp sounds great and it will get great reviews 

The best makers take the best ideas from everyone else and combine them into their own products, stuff like a decent VF, and eye level sensors are fairly basic things.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,837Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012
 baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PerrimanSmythe
Regular MemberPosts: 282
Like?
Re: Agree..
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Nov 10, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

I suppose it's Nikon's flawed thinking from years past in action again. They'll port down the (questionable but nice sounding) 39 point AF system from the D7k..beef up the fps a bit, but completely ignore the calls for a better viewfinder, proper hard controls for ISO and WB, proper support for wireless flash/Auto FP, a lock switch so that you don't change AF points by accident again all on deaf ears.

But they will sell a ton of them because 24mp sounds great and it will get great reviews

The best makers take the best ideas from everyone else and combine them into their own products, stuff like a decent VF, and eye level sensors are fairly basic things.

That's what new D7000 will be for. It's called marketing, it's awful, but today it's everywhere and you'll have to live with it. They won't predate their own top consumer DSLR.

As for eye sensor. I have some experience with Sony A100, and it has the sensor. I'd take Nikon D40 without a sensor instead of that Sony any day.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,402Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
In reply to illy, Nov 10, 2012

While I agree the viewfinder isn't a gem, the screen thing is a non-issue. Just turn "auto screen" off in the menu. If you need to look at it, one button press next to the finder brings it back up. Most relevant info is in the finder anyway.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,948Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

simon65 wrote:

Can it really be true...?
"The D5200 uses a similar viewfinder to the D5100, ..., a not-especially-impressive 0.78x magnification. It's arguably the least-impressive aspect of the entire camera"
"Disappointingly the D5200 doesn't have an eye sensor either to turn off the rear screen when you're using the viewfinder, so it can flicker away distractingly at you, turning off as you half-press the shutter then lighting up again when you take your finger away" DPR

I've been waiting for the D5200 for some time and really praying that Nikon would have the wit to do something about the D5100's cramped viewfinder, and its the seriously outdated omission of an eye sensor for turning the rear screen off. I think Canon introduced such sensors on their introductory basic compact DSLRs around about 2002, and yet here we are in 2012 and Nikon still haven't got round to adding one in the med range DSLRs.

Nikon its appalling. Just who do you think we are? I'm not going to splash out my hard won cash on a DSLR with a micro viewfinder, and which doesn't even come equipped with a $10 sensor for preventing the rear screen from flickering in my eyes when I'm trying to compose a shot.

Woeful effort Nikon. D minus (again). Try joining the 21st century.

In another 18 months the mirrorless version of the D5200 will have everything you seek.  But remember, Nikon cameras are about the imaging chain, not about the bells and whistles, particularly at the entry level. I agree that no eye sensor and a low-mag viewfinder is a failing, but then at 24mp I think that autocalibrating AF fine tuning is important as well, especially on an entry level body, to keep the entry level folks from fretting and measurebating too much. Unfortunately no manufacturer seems to think that way.

 mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aesmith
Regular MemberPosts: 239
Like?
Re: Agree..
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Nov 10, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

.....  but completely ignore the calls for a better viewfinder, proper hard controls for ISO and WB, proper support for wireless flash/Auto FP, a lock switch so that you don't change AF points by accident again all on deaf ears ...

If those are important, why are you considering the D5200 - have you looked at a D7000?  That has all that you're asking for, unless you really really need 24MP.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 - another Jurassic Park dino from Nikon
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

simon65 wrote:

Nikon its appalling. Just who do you think we are? I'm not going to splash out my hard won cash on a DSLR with a micro viewfinder, and which doesn't even come equipped with a $10 sensor for preventing the rear screen from flickering in my eyes when I'm trying to compose a shot.

Woeful effort Nikon. D minus (again). Try joining the 21st century.

Indeed you are over zealous in trying to make your point as nobody forces you where or how to spend your money. People don't buy a specific model because of the feel or its too heavy. So its not unusual to not buy a certain model beause of one specific item.

read bythom, it appears nikon has some problems.

http://www.bythom.com/

'but that misses the point: they should be dominating the camera market. It's their marketing inefficiency and lack of strong product messaging that's not allowing them to do that."

 pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,499Gear list
Like?
Lets make this quick.....
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

If you have a problem making a compelling picture with the D5200.....

The problem is not Nikon....or Canon...or any other excuse

The problem is the operator.

If you dont belive me...lets go shooting together.

Roman
--
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Nothing to do with marketing
In reply to PerrimanSmythe, Nov 10, 2012

PerrimanSmythe wrote:

That's what new D7000 will be for. It's called marketing, it's awful, but today it's everywhere and you'll have to live with it. They won't predate their own top consumer DSLR.

Adding a half decent penta mirror VF does not obsolete the D7000. The D5200 has a worst in class viewfinder which is frankly abysmal for the joke £700+ asking price.

As for eye sensor. I have some experience with Sony A100, and it has the sensor. I'd take Nikon D40 without a sensor instead of that Sony any day.

Irrelevant, it's not about the model but what the eye sensor does

Nikon contiinue to put pixels over substance. Still the ONLY DSLR maker who does not support wireless flash/HSS or have a DOF preview button. They're stuck in a time warp with their cut down 35mm bodies. They also have the least compatibility of any maker with lenses ala no in body AF motor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing to do with marketing
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Nov 10, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

PerrimanSmythe wrote:


That's what new D7000 will be for. It's called marketing, it's awful, but today it's everywhere and you'll have to live with it. They won't predate their own top consumer DSLR.

Adding a half decent penta mirror VF does not obsolete the D7000. The D5200 has a worst in class viewfinder which is frankly abysmal for the joke £700+ asking price.

As for eye sensor. I have some experience with Sony A100, and it has the sensor. I'd take Nikon D40 without a sensor instead of that Sony any day.

Irrelevant, it's not about the model but what the eye sensor does

Nikon contiinue to put pixels over substance. Still the ONLY DSLR maker who does not support wireless flash/HSS or have a DOF preview button. They're stuck in a time warp with their cut down 35mm bodies. They also have the least compatibility of any maker with lenses ala no in body AF motor.

then don't buy one, and your life will be happier without constantly moaning about a camera you have no intention of buying, think of it like a crap TV show.....instead of watching it a writing a letter of complaint about it being so bad......just change the channel

-- hide signature --

one by one the penguins steal my sanity

 illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Because that stuff costs extra (nt)
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012
-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Learn to read..
In reply to illy, Nov 10, 2012

illy wrote:

then don't buy one, and your life will be happier without constantly moaning about a camera you have no intention of buying, think of it like a crap TV show.....instead of watching it a writing a letter of complaint about it being so bad......just change the channel

-- hide signature --

one by one the penguins steal my sanity

From a well known source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

I have some news we are on a forum which is where a discussion takes place.

Insteadof defending the flag for some maker, take part in the discussion with a series of "points" yes that thrilling thing where you actually make a point..not a tedious ramble about not saying anything bad about "my dearly beloved maker" I think you get the drift on this. If you can't handle that don't take part in an internet forum. 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Re: Learn to read..
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Nov 10, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

illy wrote:


then don't buy one, and your life will be happier without constantly moaning about a camera you have no intention of buying, think of it like a crap TV show.....instead of watching it a writing a letter of complaint about it being so bad......just change the channel

-- hide signature --

one by one the penguins steal my sanity

From a well known source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

I have some news we are on a forum which is where a discussion takes place.

Insteadof defending the flag for some maker, take part in the discussion with a series of "points" yes that thrilling thing where you actually make a point..not a tedious ramble about not saying anything bad about "my dearly beloved maker" I think you get the drift on this. If you can't handle that don't take part in an internet forum.

i'm trying to read but it's difficult with your endless whining..........because it's so close to Christmas i'll try and make my next reply in the theme of a pantomime

-- hide signature --

one by one the penguins steal my sanity

 illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,365Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing to do with marketing
In reply to illy, Nov 10, 2012

illy wrote:

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

PerrimanSmythe wrote:


That's what new D7000 will be for. It's called marketing, it's awful, but today it's everywhere and you'll have to live with it. They won't predate their own top consumer DSLR.

Adding a half decent penta mirror VF does not obsolete the D7000. The D5200 has a worst in class viewfinder which is frankly abysmal for the joke £700+ asking price.

As for eye sensor. I have some experience with Sony A100, and it has the sensor. I'd take Nikon D40 without a sensor instead of that Sony any day.

Irrelevant, it's not about the model but what the eye sensor does

Nikon contiinue to put pixels over substance. Still the ONLY DSLR maker who does not support wireless flash/HSS or have a DOF preview button. They're stuck in a time warp with their cut down 35mm bodies. They also have the least compatibility of any maker with lenses ala no in body AF motor.

then don't buy one, and your life will be happier without constantly moaning about a camera you have no intention of buying, think of it like a crap TV show.....instead of watching it a writing a letter of complaint about it being so bad......just change the channel

-- hide signature --

one by one the penguins steal my sanity

Yes I don't get that.  If I see a product that doesn't meet my requirements, I don't buy it.

If i buy something and find that it doesn't meet my needs, I return it.

Would you buy a a hammer and complain that it's not a good screwdriver?  Manufacturers make the products that their marketing research tells them people will purchase.  If you feel that a product should have different features, send your feedback to the manufacturer.  Whining and moaning on a forum does nothing constructive.

 sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187
Like?
The D5200 is an amazing camera....
In reply to simon65, Nov 10, 2012

For it's class and price bracket.

What some people seem to really want is a D800 type build for D5200 prices. This is of course absurd.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,402Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing to do with marketing
In reply to sshoihet, Nov 10, 2012

sshoihet wrote:

Yes I don't get that. If I see a product that doesn't meet my requirements, I don't buy it.

Right. I went to the store to buy my new camera (imagine that). I knew I wanted a 16-85 lens if I was going to buy a DX nikon so had them pull one out. They also got out a 3100, a 5100 and a 7000. I considered the price points (the 5100 was on special for $400ish) and while I liked some of the features the 7000 has, they weren't worth $600 to me so I didn't get one. Yes I have to live with a crappy viewfinder but I had a choice and I made it. Most of the other features they explained like wireless this and that etc I would never use. If I needed those features, I'd be looking for a different camera

-- hide signature --

Stacey

 Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads