Split this forum by brand

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions
Triggr Happy
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
Split this forum by brand
Nov 10, 2012

This was suggested many times here, and I was always against it. Now, it's obvious that it's the right thing to do. All we see here is Olympus threads. Most Panasonic threads go unnoticed/ignored.

Other brands share the same technology and yet they have separate forums, so why Panasonic and Olympus can't have separate forums?

clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?
Re: Split this forum by brand
In reply to Triggr Happy, Nov 10, 2012

Triggr Happy wrote:

This was suggested many times here, and I was always against it. Now, it's obvious that it's the right thing to do. All we see here is Olympus threads. Most Panasonic threads go unnoticed/ignored.

Other brands share the same technology and yet they have separate forums, so why Panasonic and Olympus can't have separate forums?

...or they could split it according to sensor manufacturer.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,525
Like?
Re: Split this forum by brand -- nope

I think most of us are interested in both brands. Not to mention topics such as 3rd party lenses and legacy lenses which apply to both. As to which draws the most interest on any given week, it depends on which has the hotter new camera out.

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Triggr Happy
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
In reply to Gato Amarillo, Nov 10, 2012

Gato Amarillo wrote:

I think most of us are interested in both brands. Not to mention topics such as 3rd party lenses and legacy lenses which apply to both. As to which draws the most interest on any given week, it depends on which has the hotter new camera out.

-- hide signature --

silvermirage.com

Not so. Hot new camera in this format right now is GH3 and every thread about it gets completely ignored. Compare that to the hype in this forum when OM-D was announced and that hype still continues.

Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246Gear list
Like?

You just need to stick around a while and then you'll see how cyclical things are in terms of popularity. I remember when the G1 came out, we G1 owners had to post in the Olympus SLR forum (the de facto 4/3 forum) until they finally made the m4/3 forum.

I am interested in bodies and lenses of both brands and wouldn't want to have to follow separate forums for each. If there were a divide, I prefer they divided it into a lenses and bodies forum, I think that's still not necessary at this point.

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +13 more
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?

Triggr Happy wrote:

Gato Amarillo wrote:

-- hide signature --

silvermirage.com

Not so. Hot new camera in this format right now is GH3 and every thread about it gets completely ignored. Compare that to the hype in this forum when OM-D was announced and that hype still continues.

This too shall pass. I think splitting the forums is a bad idea. I want to hear about everything available in m4/3. There are plenty of Panasonic threads right now. They happen mostly to be about lenses, not bodies. Would you really rather have an Olympus forum that ignores the Panasonic lenses?

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +23 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,746
Like?
Except for all those GH3 threads...

And 35-100 threads...

and 12-35 threads...

and G5 threads...

and...

robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303Gear list
Like?
Re: Except for all those GH3 threads...
In reply to TrapperJohn, Nov 10, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

And 35-100 threads...

and 12-35 threads...

and G5 threads...

and...

not that i favour splitting, i dont, and ther have been a few 35-100 and 12-35 threads, but G5 has hardly raised a blip compared to OMD.... OMD threads would outnumber those for all other bodies on this forum.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
drxcm
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: Except for all those GH3 threads...
In reply to robonrome, Nov 10, 2012

Another vote against splitting the forum ..

I like coming to one place for both brands - as I use gear from both brands.

micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562Gear list
Like?

Triggr Happy wrote:

Gato Amarillo wrote:

-- hide signature --

silvermirage.com

GH3 doesn't exist yet.
It's not clear when it will be shipped and no serious photography sites have reviewed production version. What do you want to discuss about GH3? There was "GH3, where are you..." thread recently and you didn't bother to show up.

Perhaps you don't see many Panasonic threads because Panasonic hasn't recently released anything that appeals to masses? And many people switched and switching from Panasonic to Olympus, particularly OM-D?
Then separating Panasonic into separate forum would just result boring forum, wouldn't it?

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +6 more
pablolie
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?

I don't believe it. I goes back and forth with new camera releases, that's all. Olympus has unexpectedly surged ahead with the new sensor stuff. It used to be very different earlier on. Up to 6 months post GH2 days it was all Panasonic superiority

Honestly I think all cameras released within the last 2 years and within the next 2 years are going to do great things to people that use them enthusiastically. I am honestly more interested in lens and technique discussions than camera model discussions.

I have the EM5 and yet I am trying to assess how much it truly does on top of the EP2 I used to own. I'd estimate it at a 25% ceiling. Tops.

And I am all Olympus - but Panasonic cameras are great. No religion here.

pablolie's gear list:pablolie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +6 more
amvrvd
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?

This nonsense, again ?

Why ? what would effectively change ? A panasonic sub-forum wouldn't magically conjure gazillions of threads, it would be a barren territory...same goes for an exclusive Oly forum btw...this current forum really does go around in cycles, before the OMD olympus didn't produce much interest, in fact things looked pretty dull and lifeless in Oly land (same old sensor, repetitive features, more art filters, yet another 14-42 kit lens..etc) and there were even threads just like this one arguing in favor of an independent Oly sub-forum.

It seems like every turn of the cycle when one brand or another get's less attention the fanboys come out with this thread as if sub-forums would help gather more attention to one brand or ¨save¨ it from oblivion...IMO it would cause just the opposite: people don't have the time to navigate sub forums and whatnot, they don't have time to navigate through yet another sub-site or open another tab just out of curiosity, they want it in the front page right there and now.

So get over it, buzz doesn't come just because company A or B releases yet another evolutionary product, people need to see revolutionary changes for them to flock in here, if the GH3 had featured something like a no-compromises global shutter sensor, trust me, there'd be no OMD threads in page 1. Besides, what's the point ? This isn't Canon vs Nikon, this is ONE system, that's the beauty of it. I have an E-PL1 but I'm not an Olympus user, at least I don't consider myself one, I'm an M4/3 user, I have pany lenses and other pany products, I don't attach myself to a brand, that's the dumbest thing to do as a photographer, be it with canon, nikon or whatever, specially in the case of MFT where's its a joint venture initiative.

If it ever comes to a forum split I'll simply won't bother to navigate TWO whole forums to get to a single interesting thread... this forum will simply die of dullness.

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,617Gear list
Like?
G5 was just another G, OM-D brought a lot of new users...
In reply to robonrome, Nov 10, 2012

robonrome wrote:

but G5 has hardly raised a blip compared to OMD.... OMD threads would outnumber those for all other bodies on this forum.

Well, the G5 was just another "G", many of its users are upgraders, those who have previously ownec "G" cameras in the past.

The OM-D on the other hand was the first digital OM...it was put M4/3 into hands of people who had no interest in M4/3 before, myself included.  Of course it's going to generate a LOT more traffic.

In addition the OM-D had an IS that is totally new technology...again food for generating posts.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
grapher
Contributing MemberPosts: 994Gear list
Like?
Please don´t split!

Since I own Olympus and Panasonic gear (both lenses and cameras) and mix them happily I prefer to find my information in ​oneplace. I also use lenses and equipment from other brands on µ4/3, where should that be postet?

Please don´t split!

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
stefano888
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?
In reply to amvrvd, Nov 10, 2012

I am obviously interested in the whole subject m4/3.
Probably I'll buy a Panasonic camera body (I have the OMD).
I do not want to be forced to look for news in two separate forums.

in any case I do not think this forum is so busy ...
My vote is to keep only a forum for m4/3.

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)
stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: Triggr

Triggr Happy wrote:

It wont get split, I asked many moons ago, was hammered for it.

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

be better to split it by mental state

-- hide signature --

one by one the penguins steal my sanity

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +4 more
DigitalDick
Contributing MemberPosts: 691
Like?
Re: G5 was just another G, OM-D brought a lot of new users...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Nov 10, 2012

Ditto for me ... I have read the Olympus, the Panasonic and the Micro 4/3s forums for years waiting for news about any EVIL cameras. I held off buying the GH1 and GH2 only because I wanted image stabilization for my old OM film lenses. I finally bought the E-M5 but while waiting I talked several of my friends into buying the GH and G series cameras from Panasonic. The last time I counted four were shooting with their Panasonics and eight of us are using the E-5M. They would all be shooting Nikon or Canon if I hadn't talked up the micro 4/3s systems. Even though I have an all Olympus kit I still read all the Panasonic postings and am interested in both systems.

ps, I think both Olympus and Panasonic owe me a big commission.

Dick

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
Re: no

If not, just because of the lenses having a common mount. M43 is also a shared standard. I once also thought this (dividing), but believe very strongly that I was wrong.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

joachim05
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?

Triggr Happy wrote:

Perhaps it is not so hot after all

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads