DPR K5II vs K5IIs Studio Shots are Up

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,300
Like?
DPR K5II vs K5IIs Studio Shots are Up
Nov 10, 2012
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,243Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR K5II vs K5IIs Studio Shots are Up
In reply to Dale108, Nov 10, 2012

Dale108 wrote:

Enjoy.

Dale

Looks good, more moire as expected, but sharper too.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,369Gear list
Like?

Surprised there are no more replies yet.  Interesting, and nice to see. It definitely highlights the moiré effect without the AA filter (also interesting how DPR chose the default position to highlight that difference, well chosen, I could have missed it otherwise).  Interesting to see how the 16Mpix APS-C is more vulnerable to moiré than the 36Mpix FF of the D800E, though not a fair comparison.  While I see the difference in added crispness in the IIs, sample, I am less convinced of the added value, i.e. how much crispness can be added to the II sample with a bit more fine tuning of the sharpening as I see no more details in the IIs sample, just a tad sharper actually.  Perhaps the benefit is more obvious in landscapes, as we've mostly seen to date.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Lawnmower Shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
In reply to rogerstpierre, Nov 10, 2012

rogerstpierre wrote:

Surprised there are no more replies yet. Interesting, and nice to see. It definitely highlights the moiré effect without the AA filter (also interesting how DPR chose the default position to highlight that difference, well chosen, I could have missed it otherwise). Interesting to see how the 16Mpix APS-C is more vulnerable to moiré than the 36Mpix FF of the D800E, though not a fair comparison. While I see the difference in added crispness in the IIs, sample, I am less convinced of the added value, i.e. how much crispness can be added to the II sample with a bit more fine tuning of the sharpening as I see no more details in the IIs sample, just a tad sharper actually. Perhaps the benefit is more obvious in landscapes, as we've mostly seen to date.

-- hide signature --

Roger

I just noticed this thread. I can say as I had wondered before, the IIs has less, or at least smaller, noise grain. Maybe this is just each pixel not bleeding over to the next, but the appearance is of less noise. Maybe the lack of a standard LPF blocks less actual light and allows for less iso gain? I would be interested to know exactly why this is, but there is a definite difference. I will also say, the original K5 looks slightly worse than the II, and the II looks slightly worse than the IIs.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=pentax_k5iis&masterSample=imgp0116.acr&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=pentax_k5iis&slot0Sample=imgp0116.acr&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=pentax_k5&slot1Sample=imgp3873.acr&slot2Camera=pentax_k5iis&slot2Sample=imgp0116.acr&slot3Camera=pentax_k5ii&slot3Sample=imgp0025.acr&x=0.0006639214625871061&y=0.003025492339148977

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,966
Like?

Amazing how it compares to the 5D MarkIII and D600. Hardly any noticeable differences .

Lawnmower Shooter
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, Nov 10, 2012

johnbee wrote:

Amazing how it compares to the 5D MarkIII and D600. Hardly any noticeable differences .

Yep it's pretty amazing. You are on the money, you literally can't tell a difference. I can only imagine what a pentax FF would be capable of. I think this is why pentax isn't in such a hurry to release one, the new K5 is well capable enough to hold the market, especially at such a low price for the feature set. I've seen a few pentax interviews where they hint about FF, I don't expect them of all brands to show their hand. I for one will be feeding my new IIs nothing but FF lenses, buying DA glass would be a waste if you plan on buying FF eventually.

GordonBGood
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,271
Like?
In reply to Lawnmower Shooter, Nov 10, 2012

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

rogerstpierre wrote:

Surprised there are no more replies yet. Interesting, and nice to see. It definitely highlights the moiré effect without the AA filter (also interesting how DPR chose the default position to highlight that difference, well chosen, I could have missed it otherwise). Interesting to see how the 16Mpix APS-C is more vulnerable to moiré than the 36Mpix FF of the D800E, though not a fair comparison. While I see the difference in added crispness in the IIs, sample, I am less convinced of the added value, i.e. how much crispness can be added to the II sample with a bit more fine tuning of the sharpening as I see no more details in the IIs sample, just a tad sharper actually. Perhaps the benefit is more obvious in landscapes, as we've mostly seen to date.

-- hide signature --

Roger

I just noticed this thread. I can say as I had wondered before, the IIs has less, or at least smaller, noise grain. Maybe this is just each pixel not bleeding over to the next, but the appearance is of less noise. Maybe the lack of a standard LPF blocks less actual light and allows for less iso gain? I would be interested to know exactly why this is, but there is a definite difference. I will also say, the original K5 looks slightly worse than the II, and the II looks slightly worse than the IIs.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=pentax_k5iis&masterSample=imgp0116.acr&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=pentax_k5iis&slot0Sample=imgp0116.acr&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=pentax_k5&slot1Sample=imgp3873.acr&slot2Camera=pentax_k5iis&slot2Sample=imgp0116.acr&slot3Camera=pentax_k5ii&slot3Sample=imgp0025.acr&x=0.0006639214625871061&y=0.003025492339148977

It's hard to compare the K-5 to either of the K-5 II(s) as the 'II''s are focussed a little further frontward than the K-5, which seems to be focussed on the background surface.

Regards, GordonBGood

Lawnmower Shooter
Like?
In reply to GordonBGood, Nov 10, 2012

GordonBGood wrote:

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

It's hard to compare the K-5 to either of the K-5 II(s) as the 'II''s are focussed a little further frontward than the K-5, which seems to be focussed on the background surface.

I guess this is as good a time as any to get into it. I have also heard from people that uneven focusing makes these comparisons worthless, but in reality it is only that way for sharpness comparisons. A camera will show the same noise profile whether you are tac sharp or not. This is a very simple example, two shots, one almost focused on a wall with a nail, and one totally blurred. Crops were cut from the full size file, then up rezzed for easier viewing. Full FOV files are downsized to show the difference in focusing of the two. The crops are taken from the portion just to the left of the nail. In terms of noise, both are identical, focusing makes no difference in noise pattern.

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,294Gear list
Like?

i think you should have a look at image resource.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

another year has gone, just cleared my 200 gallery images will start all over again, thanks to everyone that took the time to look.

JohnBee
Like?

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

johnbee wrote:

Yep it's pretty amazing. You are on the money, you literally can't tell a difference. I can only imagine what a pentax FF would be capable of. I think this is why pentax isn't in such a hurry to release one, the new K5 is well capable enough to hold the market, especially at such a low price for the feature set. I've seen a few pentax interviews where they hint about FF, I don't expect them of all brands to show their hand. I for one will be feeding my new IIs nothing but FF lenses, buying DA glass would be a waste if you plan on buying FF eventually.

Upon further investigation I'm afraid I'd have to recant my statement.

I have no idea what DPReview considers RAW in their studio comparison tool but its nowhere near what the RAW files look like in most default developers I could find. At any rate, here's what I found using Raw Therapee without any special processing(default).

LightBug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,272Gear list
Like?

Someone mentioned this in DPR's studio shot announcement page, could K-01 be also non-AA like K-IIs? Notice the side portrait crop has moire for both K-01 and K-IIs. Is that indicative of non-AA output on K-01?

Joey

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
Lawnmower Shooter
Like?

Again, I don't think we can judge sharpness in a setting like this, regardless of which medium we use. The K5 file shows the Queen of hearts is much sharper than the D600's, they are obviously focused at different places. It's very hard to compare the sharpness of any two objects because of this, noise is a different story. I think in noise, the IIs can hold it's own with any FF of today up through iso12k, except maybe with the D4.

In your crops above, the majority of the stuff on the posterboard is much closer to the cameras, if you look at the left of the playing card you can see the board protrudes from the wall at least an inch or two. If they could somehow make the display virtually all 2D it would be much easier to nail focusing so we can compare sharpness. One thing I do know, my IIs can throw down some amazing sharpness in a lens's sweet spot.

My christmas gift to myself (thanks to the wife) is a dual prime set, likely the FA100mm 2.8 and FA35mm 2.0. For now, I have a cheap 50mm and a 28-200 to keep my happy. As long as I keep the 50 around F8, it takes some sharp shots.

JohnBee
Like?

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

Again, I don't think we can judge sharpness in a setting like this, regardless of which medium we use. The K5 file shows the Queen of hearts is much sharper than the D600's...

That would likely fall in the OOF area.
That being said, the K-5 doesn't seem to compete with the D600 on the resolution end of it, no matter how we slice it. Which I suppose can be expected given the differences between both sensors.

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,736Gear list
Like?
@ JB

johnbee wrote:

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

johnbee wrote:

Upon further investigation I'm afraid I'd have to recant my statement.

I have no idea what DPReview considers RAW in their studio comparison tool but its nowhere near what the RAW files look like in most default developers I could find. At any rate, here's what I found using Raw Therapee without any special processing(default).

JB if it’s no trouble could you post a K5IIs scaled to D600  thanxs

ISF

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The most important piece of equipment in photography is the lens cap, if used incorrectly all your photo will be under exposed.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
JohnBee
Like?
Re: @ JB
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, Nov 10, 2012

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

JB if it’s no trouble could you post a K5IIs scaled to D600 thanxs

Sounds like fun

I'll give it a go shortly. 
I'll also add some Imaging Resource samples for good measure.

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,736Gear list
Like?
Re: @ JB

heres my quick go at it

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The most important piece of equipment in photography is the lens cap, if used incorrectly all your photo will be under exposed.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,490Gear list
Like?
DPR's new studio scene

DPreview is creating a new camera comparison studio setup. They posted about it a few days ago and it's flat (2D).

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
miles green
Like?
K5IIs High ISO is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
In reply to LightBug, Nov 10, 2012

The K5IIs at high ISO is amazing!

It holds up, even compared to the Nikon D4 all the way to ISO 6400! At ISO 3200 particularly, the K5IIs is excellent! Compared to the D4, the K5IIs is less saturated, and the D4 seems to have an advantage where the colors are vibrant (feathers) but the K5IIs does at least as well if you look at the bank note (with the ancient greek sculpture) and the shadow box with the threads. Amazing!

I guess high ISO is about the signal-to-noise ratio, and increasing the signal by a step (no AA filter) is just as good as decreasing the noise by a stop (FF sensor)!

Also compare it to the D800e at iso 3200... The D800e has more detail due to sheer size, but the K5IIs is significantly cleaner!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
miles green
Like?
Imaging resource
In reply to Donald B, Nov 10, 2012

Donald B wrote:

i think you should have a look at image resource.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

another year has gone, just cleared my 200 gallery images will start all over again, thanks to everyone that took the time to look.

Are the IR pictures from raws, or ooc jpgs?

Aaaah the 1DX...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,327Gear list
Like?

Well It confirms IRs results IMO re IQ the only 2 that can conclusively beat it are the 645d & D800's

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads