A girl, an A57 and one cheap ass lens!!

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
A girl, an A57 and one cheap ass lens!!
Nov 9, 2012

A couple snapshots taken on the Oregon coast with the much maligned KM 18-70mm. Nothing special (girl aside, of course), but not too bad for a $40 investment. Plus, if I drop it in the sand..who cares? LOL!! Thanks for looking and, as always...C&C appreciated.

Cheers!!

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Pentax K-m (K2000) Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,517
Like?
Re: three girls an a100 and the same cheap az lens..
In reply to BrewLab, Nov 9, 2012

they look excellent,looks about open?..nice its sharp wide open the km. its a little 'different' with landscapes but for close work/portraits its 40beans well spent..like them all,partial to the first and nice skin tone...brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrewLab
Like?
Re: three girls an a100 and the same cheap az lens..
In reply to brian14478, Nov 9, 2012

Ha!! Thanks! Nice play on my header

Yeah, it was just about wide open. Weather was typical November Oregon coast weather. Partly gray to gray with chances of rain. I took the KM and my latest, greatest el cheapo, the Minolta 75-300 "new" with me, and was really happy for the most part. Two lenses, under $100 for both and not a care in the world while standing on the beach in the drizzle. Not to say I don't still lust after Z's and G's, but...

Cheers!

Trevor

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
linslus
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Re: A girl, an A57 and one cheap ass lens!!

Well done, the A57 is an excellent cam.

linslus's gear list:linslus's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,570
Like?
A working man's workhorse lens

BrewLab wrote:

... the much maligned KM 18-70mm.

I and a few others I know use that same lens a heck of a lot. It's a great match for any of the 16mp SLTs. There was apparently considerable sample variation in production, though... so assuming you got a good one like I did, don't let it go.

Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,278Gear list
Like?

BrewLab wrote:

A couple snapshots taken on the Oregon coast with the much maligned KM 18-70mm. Nothing special (girl aside, of course), but not too bad for a $40 investment. Plus, if I drop it in the sand..who cares? LOL!! Thanks for looking and, as always...C&C appreciated.

Cheers!!

Where on the Oregon coast? I don't usually get south of Cannon Beach so there's a lot of coast I'm not familiar with.

I know this is an equipment forum and all of that, but I've said for years equipment is over rated as even the worst of it is still pretty good. The a57 is a perfectly fine mid range camera and the older Minolta lens is an inexpensive kit lens, but still pretty good if used properly. It's hard to judge IQ from smallish pictures posted on an internet forum but they look pretty good to me.

C/C: In a perfect world, the second picture wouldn't have all the distracting footprints in the sand. Sigh. My only real complaint would be #3 where the model is looking 3/4 away from the camera but not really looking at the Sea Gull either. The Sea Gull is distracting, and the picture doesn't have a real subject without it.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
redsim74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,149
Like?
Re: A working man's workhorse lens
In reply to sybersitizen, Nov 9, 2012

sybersitizen wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

... the much maligned KM 18-70mm.

I and a few others I know use that same lens a heck of a lot. It's a great match for any of the 16mp SLTs. There was apparently considerable sample variation in production, though... so assuming you got a good one like I did, don't let it go.

Agree, I was lucky to get a good one with my old KM 5D.

BrewLab
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, Nov 10, 2012

Thanks for the C&C, Ray, and good points. I really appreciate it.

To answer your question, the first was taken in Depoe Bay and the next two were taken at Fogarty Creek State Park, 2 miles north. You should try and get down there some time. Depoe Bay is the self proclaimed "whale watching capitol of the world" and home to the smallest navigable harbor in the world as well as the Spouting Horn. It's a really beautiful part of the coast line. But, if you ask me, it's all pretty great

Cheers!

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290Gear list
Like?
In reply to BrewLab, Nov 10, 2012

And then go to the world's shortest river a few miles north (D); anything to have claim to fame for the tourists.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174
Like?

Very nice pics Brewlab.I enjoyed them.Thanks for sharing.

Robert

BrewLab
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, Nov 10, 2012

steelhead3 wrote:

And then go to the world's shortest river a few miles north (D); anything to have claim to fame for the tourists.

Ha!! I would say it's probably best to avoid Lincoln City, but it's unavoidable. World's shortest river in, quite possibly, the world's longest beach town. Lol

BrewLab
Like?
In reply to robert614, Nov 10, 2012

robert614 wrote:

Very nice pics Brewlab.I enjoyed them.Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Thanks, Robert!

john farrar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,038Gear list
Like?

Nothing 'cheapass' about that first shot, it's very pleasing and with the kind of softer treatment that both greatly benfits that kind of photo and perplexes pixel peepers who still can't get their artistic side to fly 

I've still kept an 18-70 too and use it for times like walking the dog, on the beach and up in the rocks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads