$710 for 17mm f/1.8? Crazy overpriced

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,768
Like?
$710 for 17mm f/1.8? Crazy overpriced
Nov 9, 2012

The rumormonger guy estimates that the 17mm f/1.8 will cost $710 US dollars.

The marketing people at Olympus must be smoking something. Panasonic has a 20mm with a faster aperture for only less than half the price.

Adamant
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: $710 for 17mm f/1.8? Crazy overpriced
In reply to sigala1, Nov 9, 2012

Jeez.

I feel like I should buy a 45/1.8 for $399 before Olympus realizes their pricing mistake on that one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OldDigiman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adamant, Nov 9, 2012

On the other hand, you could be looking at $1,650 for a Nikon 35mm f1.4 FX....

-- hide signature --

Geesix
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?
It's just a rumor [nt]
In reply to sigala1, Nov 9, 2012
-- hide signature --

Nam

Geesix's gear list:Geesix's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +12 more
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
In reply to OldDigiman, Nov 9, 2012

OldDigiman wrote:

-- hide signature --

Or about $700 to $800 for a second hand or refurbished X100

ulmer
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adamant, Nov 9, 2012

Adamant wrote:

Jeez.

I feel like I should buy a 45/1.8 for $399 before Olympus realizes their pricing mistake on that one.

I hear you! The 45mm is plastic rather than metal and I think has less exotic glass, so I think it justifies it's lower price.

The 17mm is supposed to be a higher-end, metal-bodied lens so it's $$$. Hopefully it performs better than the first batch of pics posted here.

ulmer's gear list:ulmer's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus OM-D E-M5 +24 more
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
And FT5 rumor! [nt]
In reply to Geesix, Nov 9, 2012
Donkey914
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
In reply to sigala1, Nov 10, 2012

I don't get why rumor sites continually try to use exchange rates to estimate prices unless it's deliberately to generate controversy and more affiliate revenue.

It's pretty well established that the pricing is 1:1 or close to that. For example, the PL5 goes for 699 euros right now on Amazon.

If the price really is 550 euros, it can expect to debut here for $550, or at worst, $600.

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 20,681
Like?
How much...
In reply to OldDigiman, Nov 10, 2012

OldDigiman wrote:

...for the Nikon 35 / 2?

sigala1
Like?
In reply to ulmer, Nov 10, 2012

ulmer wrote:

Adamant wrote:

Jeez.

I hear you! The 45mm is plastic rather than metal and I think has less exotic glass, so I think it justifies it's lower price.

The 17mm is supposed to be a higher-end, metal-bodied lens so it's $$$. Hopefully it performs better than the first batch of pics posted here.

This idea that "metal" somehow makes the lens take better pictures.... lol....

sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,462Gear list
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

The marketing people at Olympus must be smoking something. Panasonic has a 20mm with a faster aperture for only less than half the price.

Why the angst over a rumor? Let's wait until it's official then you can start

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 +6 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,402Gear list
Like?

My first thought was - Ridiculous!  But there might be a reason.

I suspect it might be a stellar performer, in which case it would be considered cheap when compared to the zeiss etc. and also small.

goshigoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 691
Like?
In reply to ulmer, Nov 10, 2012

ulmer wrote:

Adamant wrote:

Jeez.

Can I have the plastic and less exotic glass version of the 12/2, 17/1.8 and 75/1.8?
I am VERY happy with the IQ of 45/1.8

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555Gear list
Like?
$550 more likely (sigh!)

43rumors just looked at one specific example. I find, usually (and sadly enough for Europeans) the $ - price is about the same as the € -price, so $550 is more likely.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
kckempf
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

Am I just being naïve, or is a metal lens more likely to have higher durability?

amvrvd
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
In reply to kckempf, Nov 10, 2012

nah, it depends...

Metal tends to dent and scratch while plastic (depending on the quality) can withstand shock and whatnot, paint also comes off metal too, metal of course is also heavier than plastic. There's this established notion or belief (due to decades old asian manufacturing quality and QC) that plastic must always be a bad thing but this is not a reality today, plastics have come a looooong way from those days, the only other ( perhaps better) trade off would be carbon fiber, as it's more durable but just as light, but then again, just imagine those prices...

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,411Gear list
Like?
MF clutch mechanism...

sigala1 wrote:

First, we don't know what the real price will be - various rumors set it anywhere from $500 to about $800. Second, it's going to be built like the 12mm with the manual focus "snap ring" which makes the manual focus behave like a real mechanical lens - it's still focus by wire but it doesn't feel like it. and it will have a distance scale on the barrell, which means you can set it for zone focus or hyperfocal shooting before you raise the camera to your eye. Some people might not care about this - it's a nearly make or break feature for others. If this doesn't matter to you, the lens MAY seem overpriced to you - if it does matter, it may seem like a bargain.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

sigala1
Like?
Re: MF clutch mechanism...
In reply to Ray Sachs, Nov 10, 2012

Ray Sachs wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

First, we don't know what the real price will be - various rumors set it anywhere from $500 to about $800. Second, it's going to be built like the 12mm with the manual focus "snap ring" which makes the manual focus behave like a real mechanical lens - it's still focus by wire but it doesn't feel like it. and it will have a distance scale on the barrell, which means you can set it for zone focus or hyperfocal shooting before you raise the camera to your eye. Some people might not care about this - it's a nearly make or break feature for others. If this doesn't matter to you, the lens MAY seem overpriced to you - if it does matter, it may seem like a bargain.

And how much does printing some numbers on the lens barrel add to the manufacturing cost? Fifty cents? Five cents?

MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Overpriced compared to what?

Compared to Leica lenses, it is dirt cheap! Compared to any other quality lens, it is cheap.

It is right that it is more expensive than the Panasonic, which is a really a cheap and quite good lens. The construction is supposed to be much better though, and the AF should be much faster.

So your comparison is like taking a Nikkor pro lens to a Tamron cheap lens, and complaining that the Nikkor is more expensive... Really?!

Also this is based on an equal price, and as we all know, the US price will be much lower than the european price, so it will likely be less than $600 in the shops.

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Geesix
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?
Re: $550 more likely (sigh!)
In reply to eques, Nov 10, 2012

eques wrote:

43rumors just looked at one specific example. I find, usually (and sadly enough for Europeans) the $ - price is about the same as the € -price, so $550 is more likely.

Peter

True, but what people don't take into account the different, beside price, between Europe and USA is that in Europe the warranty is two years and is transferable while in the US is only one year and not transferable it's apply only to the original buyer.

-- hide signature --

Nam

Geesix's gear list:Geesix's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads