Sigma 30 owners: are you planning to replace it with the Sony 35 OSS?

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions
jamesbm
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Re: Sigma 30 owners: A vs E?
In reply to blue_skies, Nov 11, 2012

Anyone compare the Sigma E mount with its A mount equivalent?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rogatsby
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30 owners: are you planning to replace it with the Sony 35 OSS?
In reply to cptobvious, Nov 11, 2012

Yes, I am waiting for some reviews and samples of the 35mm OSS and will consider replacing my Sigma 30 with, although I am more than satisfied with the Sigma so far.

Another option to consider is getting the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and using it on the Nex with an adapter. That is also a very sharp lens, and even faster than the upcoming 35mm E-mount.

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
nidri
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
In reply to clail, Nov 13, 2012

First full review of the SEL 35/1.8 OSS :

(http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-e-35mm-f-1-8-oss-lens-review-20665)

Via SArumors

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,785Gear list
Like?
re: a bit of shocking news (at least to me)
In reply to jpr2, Nov 13, 2012
rogatsby
Like?
In reply to flint-hill, Nov 13, 2012

flint-hill wrote:

cptobvious wrote:

Just curious what opinions are there now that the Sigma's been out a while and the Sony's about to be released. As someone who bought a 5N as a second camera and is looking for a normal prime, I feel the Sony 35's a bit much to pay for but it obviously has the more attractive aperture and OSS.

Not me. The Sigma 30/2.8 outresolves the sensor on my 5N. 30mm is not much different than 35mm, and if I had to choose, I'd choose 30mm anyway. OSS is not a limiting factor in the kind of shooting I do. The extra 1.33 stops and narrowed DOF would be nice, but it's not enough to make me fork over money for the lens.

I agree. More and more, I'm leaning towards sticking with the Sigma. The more I use this lens, the more I love it. Sharp, light, small, and perfect focal length for my tastes. My Nex-5N would have been far less enjoyable without the Sigma 30 (and its little brother, the Sigma 19). The Sigmas are definitely a boon for Nex users. And I concur that OSS is not really critical at 30mm. More than anything, I've developed a great comfort level with the Sigma 30, just because I use it so much.

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,197Gear list
Like?
Re: re: a bit of shocking news (at least to me)

jpr2 wrote:

the 35/1.8 OSS is encased in plastic it feels like a huge cheat at $450

jpr2

Is it really plastic though? Quote: "Build and design is typical of Sony's E-Mount lenses, with high quality black plastics that sport a glossy finish used for much of the lens barrel construction" -

But actually a metal barrel is typical of Sony's E-Mount lenses - is it possible they got it wrong?

It seems over-priced regardless of finish. Its performance is probably going to be up there with the 50/1.8 and the Zeiss 24/1.8, but I'm wrestling with my conscience & bank balance about replacing my current favourite all-round go-to lens Canon FDn 35/2, which is rapidly rendering my other 28 & 50's obsolete.

The examples on that ephotozine review linked above look excellent, sharp across the frame, lovely bokeh, good flare resistance. Look at this for sharpness (false moire indicating out-resolving the sensor top left), minimal distortion and only a mere hint of softness and CA in bottom right corner at f5.6:

Alan

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,785Gear list
Like?
re: a bit of shocking news (at least to me)
In reply to boardsy, Nov 13, 2012

boardsy wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

the 35/1.8 OSS is encased in plastic it feels like a huge cheat at $450

jpr2

Is it really plastic though? Quote: "Build and design is typical of Sony's E-Mount lenses, with high quality black plastics that sport a glossy finish used for much of the lens barrel construction" -

But actually a metal barrel is typical of Sony's E-Mount lenses - is it possible they got it wrong?

It seems over-priced regardless of finish.

the high-gloss finish of this and other E-mount lenses is my general gripe - yes, regardless of their building material - I find it much, much more preferable to have them in a dullest matte possible Oftentimes I'm resorting to a strip of a gaffer tape to mask most offending parts = hardly elegant, though,

jpr2

GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Re: re: a bit of shocking news (at least to me)

Nope, I'm happy with the Sigma and not willing to pay the price difference.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
RUwithME?
Like?
In reply to cptobvious, Nov 13, 2012

I am very happy with size, weight and sharpness of sigma (start up time doesn't bother me) except for one thing: bokeh.

Based on this I will see what sony has to offer and at what street price.

RUwithME?'s gear list:RUwithME?'s gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 906
Like?
In reply to clail, Nov 13, 2012

clail wrote:

With PDAF, the difference in focusing speed will be telling. Still prefer f1.8 for a prime. OSS a bonus.

It's interesting. I have the sigma 30, and for 99% of stuff, especially wide open, I end up manual focusing to get it "eye-lash hair sharp" On the eyes or whatever Im trying to hit.

PDAF or CDAF, either way if its bright easy if target and I'm stopped down, it's easy for the AF to get anyWay.

it would be nice to have the OSS though. And the f1.8.

though using the sigma 30 occasionally  find myself wishing I had a 28 or even a little wider, NOT a 35.

TwinTurboJosh
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
I may get the Zeiss instead
In reply to cptobvious, Nov 13, 2012

If the Sony 35mm wasn't so expensive, and was launching a little bit earlier (I'll be on a plane to Europe on what SonyStyle is saying is the release date) I would probably pick it up. But money is obviously going to be tight around this time, so I may wait until the Zeiss is out in Spring and see how it stacks up.

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: I may get the Zeiss instead
In reply to TwinTurboJosh, Nov 13, 2012

I'll probably be swapping the Sigma for the new 35, yeah. The Sigma is a great lens - sharp as a tack, nice and compact - but I find it has little character. There's little microcontrast, first of all, and occasionally the CA correction that needs to be done softens details a touch. Not only does f/2.8 kind of limit your DoF options, but there's something about the bokeh that bothers me - not necessarily that it's ugly, but that it drops off very slowly and therefore doesn't help much on subject isolation.

The obvious benefits to the Sony are the IS and extra 1 1/3 stop of light, plus it's not too much bigger than the Sigma. The big problem, though, is that as far as I'm concerned 30mm is far, far more appealing than 35mm as a walkaround FL.

mx5002
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
Re: I may get the Zeiss instead
In reply to cptrios, Nov 13, 2012

the new dxo version 8 supports the sigma 30mm 2.8 with the nex cameras. it is fantastic software and you can add as much microcontrast as you want to your sigma 30mm images with the use of a slider. i am keeping the sigma30mm because it is sharper than the sony 35mm. if you look at ephotozines imatest for the sigma 30mm at f4, the center resolution is literally off the chart!

crisotunity
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
In reply to Rehabdoc, Nov 14, 2012

though using the sigma 30 occasionally find myself wishing I had a 28 or even a little wider, NOT a 35.

Amen! Whatever happened to 28mm lenses? Are they out of fashion? It's a shame that my 28mm FD is really not good (maybe a bad copy) but it fitted my NEX so well and was so versatile.

Back on topic - would I exchange my Sigma for the Sony? Not a chance if ephotozine's charts are correct. Although Sony's bokeh appears to be nice, £300 extra is not a fair price for stabilisation and an extra stop all else (IQ-wise) being equal.

As for the super-duper AF? Let's see the non-marketing spiel evidence.

clail
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
In reply to crisotunity, Nov 14, 2012

I really like what the SEL50 can do at 1.8. My Sigma19 is just not bright enough at 2.8 I like indoor portraits and the 35 would complement my 50 nicely. Wider than 35 won't give me enough subject isolation innit? I need the SEL35 as a stop gap for my next upgrade - A99 with CZ50/1.4!!  But thats in another league!!

IMO the Sigmas are mainly daytime/outdoor lenses. 2.8 is too slow for indoor/night shots, made worse without OSS. The 19 is clunky and just isn't special enough for ME. Yes sharper than the 16, but is that it? But then, I'm not into landscape >_<

clail's gear list:clail's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +7 more
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to crisotunity, Nov 14, 2012

crisotunity wrote:

though using the sigma 30 occasionally find myself wishing I had a 28 or even a little wider, NOT a 35.

Amen! Whatever happened to 28mm lenses? Are they out of fashion? It's a shame that my 28mm FD is really not good (maybe a bad copy) but it fitted my NEX so well and was so versatile.

Surprised to hear that - the FDn (all-black, bayonet, not earlier breech lock) f2.8 version? Mine is pretty sharp I think - tweaked JPGs from original NEX-5:

I used to pair the 28/2.8 with a FDn 50/1.4 or Olympus 50/1.8 for extra speed/length/bokeh, but I have more recently found that 35mm is my preferred focal length, and the FDn 35/2 is fast replacing both of them as the perfect all-rounder:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59079068@N02/8178958828/

Alan

Dennishh
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
In reply to cptobvious, Nov 14, 2012

NO! Maybe with a Zeiss but I have found the Sigma to be great.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
Hans von der Crone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243Gear list
Like?
In reply to cptobvious, Nov 14, 2012

Just got the Sigma 30mm. What a great little thing! AF is pretty fast on my nex6 too (low light).

Hans von der Crone's gear list:Hans von der Crone's gear list
RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads