My most Difficult Panorama so far. ZS19 + PSE 8. Tenmangû Shrine, Kyoto.

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,550
Like?
My most Difficult Panorama so far. ZS19 + PSE 8. Tenmangû Shrine, Kyoto.
Nov 9, 2012

I posted this panorama in the landscape forum after fighting several shots into a Panoramic:

But I still wasn't happy with it, the building on the left just doesn't look right, all of the shots were crooked and had to be straightened 2-6 degrees to get them to line up. One example:

Straight out of camera with tilt corrected. All 5 shots were crooked to different degrees - we were very tired but that's really no excuse, but it's the best I have we had just spent about 1/2 hour sitting in a shaded area with drink vending machines.

So, this morning I messed around with it some more and came up with what I think is a better rendition, 4 out of 5 shots used, reds enhanced on the right-hand shot to look more like it actually did, the orange-red "Vermilion"paint that is used on some temple buildings and Torii gates:

It just goes to show that even a badly messed up Panoramic can be saved.

The Loo is 'cleverly' hidden behind the bush on the right.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (Lumix DMC-TZ6)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DutchMate
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,714
Like?
Re: My most Difficult Panorama so far. ZS19 + PSE 8. Tenmangû Shrine, Kyoto.
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Nov 9, 2012

I think you did a pretty good job Eric. I too sometimes struggle with buildings. I tripod might help but i hate sleppin them arround. I also saw they were not allowed where you were.

I plan on doing some takes on the new trainstation when they start with the main roof.Which could get problematic either.

What i sometimes do is not using the widest focal length but in stead take a view steps back if possible and zoom in to approx 50mm 2/3/4 times zoom depending on space to move arround. This may give more detail and might take out some slight lens distortion . I also try to look at shooting location that i can somewhat stand in the middle of the wide view i want to capture.

With freeware ice it is also easy to drop in multiple rows of images. When shooting a lot i might try standard jpegmode as stiching a lot of files already creates massive resolution.

Adding an extra row in front of subject can create more depth to the final image.

Locking exposure and wb is essential .

-- hide signature --

maarten

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
in_focus
Forum ProPosts: 17,193
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Nov 10, 2012

Fine results, Erik.. comparing the two panoramas - reworked image certainly has better proportions, especially on the brown building at the left.. the extra effort has rewarded you pleasantly .. thanks for sharing ..

Beat regards,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

leerob
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?

can you post uncorrected images, so I can try them in Autopano or Ptgui? Let see what problems I run into.

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
RevsCam
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
In reply to leerob, Nov 10, 2012

leerob wrote:

can you post uncorrected images, so I can try them in Autopano or Ptgui? Let see what problems I run into.

I agree. Might be fun to see what other people and tools can do with them.

RevsCam's gear list:RevsCam's gear list
Olympus C-7000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,685Gear list
Like?
In reply to DutchMate, Nov 10, 2012

DutchMate wrote:

I tripod might help but i hate sleppin them arround. I also saw they were not allowed where you were.

What?! Why would tripods be prohibited anywhere? How pervasive is this phenomenon?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Erik Ohlson
Like?
GREAT Idea !!
In reply to leerob, Nov 10, 2012

leerob wrote:

What a great idea, thanks!

Here they are - all 5 ( I didn't use #3 in my panoramic, above.)

And here's what PSE8's most automatic Panorama stitch did - Correction needed 

It will be great fun to see what other stitching routines do - Play fair, if you have to level the pix as I did in the Initial Post here, or other things,tell us so!

In my corrected version, above, I lightened the shadows, did some cloning on the far left, and cropped.

I am eagerly awaiting results!!

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Nov 10, 2012

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

DutchMate wrote:

I tripod might help but i hate sleppin them arround. I also saw they were not allowed where you were.

What?! Why would tripods be prohibited anywhere? How pervasive is this phenomenon?

-- hide signature --

Florida

As I stated, elsewhere, particularly in Japan, where one removes one's shoes when entering a building, tripods - most of which have metal spikes in the feet that can be retracted, often are NOT retracted.

The floors in these ancient Temples and Shrines are often hundreds of years old, unfinished wood, and some inconsiderate person with a tripod could do great damage.

As an example, the Nijo-Ji palace in Kyoto burned to the ground in 1750 and was finally re-built in 1893, so the squeaky "nigtingale floors" are 110 years old, and are so worn by just people in Stocking feet, that the grain is easy to feel with your feet as you walk around.

So - as usual - a few incnosiderate people ruin things for all of us. In Nijo-Ji the caretakers solved the entire problem: NO Photos at all, and you are never out of a guard's sight!

In Japan, you are expected to obey the rules, period.

I don't read Japanese, but I'm pretty sure the first 2 characters on the left stand for "3", and "Feet", or "Legs", something like that, and the last character symbolizes something like:"Stop", that I did figure out.

By watching things carefully, I was able to figure out 1or 2 characters per day - the numbers are easy - just study a list.

Perhaps Rick ("Snap") can tell us in detail what it says, but the Red Circle makes it pretty clear.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

RevsCam
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Re: GREAT Idea !!

Erik Ohlson wrote:

leerob wrote:

What a great idea, thanks!

Here they are - all 5 ( I didn't use #3 in my panoramic, above.)

And here's what PSE8's most automatic Panorama stitch did - Correction needed

It will be great fun to see what other stitching routines do - Play fair, if you have to level the pix as I did in the Initial Post here, or other things,tell us so!

In my corrected version, above, I lightened the shadows, did some cloning on the far left, and cropped.

I am eagerly awaiting results!!

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Here's what Autostitch does. One uses the 4 images, the other uses all 5. Very similar to what your PSE8 does. The main difference is in the sky. Interesting what the addition of image 4 does to the perspective.

Pano with 5 images

Pano with 4 images

RevsCam's gear list:RevsCam's gear list
Olympus C-7000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,726Gear list
Like?

Thoroughly enjoying this thread Eric.

Carry on

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/show (some real gems in there). With the FZ200 performance so good, I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao has triggered the update to the FZ50. Our desire for IQ was taking us in the wrong direction. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,685Gear list
Like?

Erik Ohlson wrote:

DutchMate wrote:

-- hide signature --

Florida

As I stated, elsewhere, particularly in Japan, where one removes one's shoes when entering a building, tripods - most of which have metal spikes in the feet that can be retracted, often are NOT retracted.

The floors in these ancient Temples and Shrines are often hundreds of years old, unfinished wood, and some inconsiderate person with a tripod could do great damage.

Thanks for the explanation Erik. Sorry I didn't see your other post.

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,105
Like?
Re: With Panorama Maker 5 Pro

Here's my first tries, Eric, with Panorama Maker 5 Pro, without and with prior tilt adjustments. I also tried Calico, which I have not used before, and found it had a steeper learning curve than my limited dexterity could master.

Thanks for the opportunity!

By the way, did you try the camera's panorama setting? Maybe not as high an IQ as stitching separate stills, but as it is presumably stitching narrow vertical frames with tighter overlaps than manual frames, it should have less distortion of alignments.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,218Gear list
Like?

Good work Erik.  Only you would know the building on the left was not quite right but the improved version certainly looks to be in better proportion. Stuart

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
okkie68
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
In reply to windmillgolfer, Nov 10, 2012

again something new for me...'stiching' photo's to a panorama.....

for sure good job

okkie68's gear list:okkie68's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to RevsCam, Nov 10, 2012

Thank you for the "Autostitch" versions. It seems like the far left-hand building's roof is a problem here, too.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to John Miles, Nov 10, 2012

John Miles wrote:

Thoroughly enjoying this thread Eric.

Carry on

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/show (some real gems in there). With the FZ200 performance so good, I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao has triggered the update to the FZ50. Our desire for IQ was taking us in the wrong direction. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095

Thanks, John!

Actually the "let's all try it" idea was Leerob's.

After your train, and your weekly Friday Interpretation, I wish I'd thought of it before being reminded!

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Nov 10, 2012

Erik Ohlson wrote:

DutchMate wrote:

-- hide signature --

Florida

Thanks for the explanation Erik. Sorry I didn't see your other post.

Florida

No Prob. It's a shame that so many regulations are required 

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Like?
Re: With Panorama Maker 5 Pro
In reply to Cyril Catt, Nov 10, 2012

Good ones, Cyril,

It does help to straighten the successive shots - "my bad" I still have no idea why I messed up the individual frames so badly - maybe it was from picking at random from the drinks vending machine (usually at random - can't read them!) and getting flat green tea to drink. 

No, I haven't used the Sweep Panorama: tried it once, didn't like it. My take on that is 'if it's worth doing, do it right (full size & stitch) although that sure wasn't the case here. I usually have no troble keeping things straight.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to windmillgolfer, Nov 10, 2012

windmillgolfer wrote:

Good work Erik. Only you would know the building on the left was not quite right but the improved version certainly looks to be in better proportion. Stuart

I guess that's true - but it was mostly the shadows that kept me wondering: the tree shadows on the left look like much later in the day than it was and, sure enough, the left frame was stretched out horizontally.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to okkie68, Nov 10, 2012

okkie68 wrote:

again something new for me...'stiching' photo's to a panorama.....

for sure good job

Hi, Ella,

I think you have PSE8? Not sure if I remember.

If you do, the stitching is found at: File>New>Photomerge Panorama, and then you insert your images (left to right) and let it do it's thing.

There are several merge variations including one where you position the images by hand as close as possible and then the software cleans it up (hopefully).

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads