and why they did not try to fix it ?

or please add your comments/ other known problems

Thanks

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,137Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic common problems
In reply to utomo99, Nov 9, 2012

I'm not sure what you are really trying to imply here. Every camera maker has these same issues - especially in the P&S realm - and each model is different. Panasonic stacks up very well against the competition and with each iteration we see that they are improving and keeping pace so your statement that they aren't trying to "fix it" is utterly ridiculous.

If you don't like what Panasonic offers in these areas, try something else. You'll always have to make trade-offs, so be careful what you ask for.

-- hide signature --

You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
In reply to kkardster, Nov 9, 2012

i just sharing what stop me from buying panasonic camera, and i believe many has same reason.

if panasonic can fix this, I believe more people will buy it

just my 2c

leerob
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?

IMO couldn't be more wrong. Panasonic offers Leica lenses, which are second to none. Look at some pictures on this forum taken with a variety of camera models and you'll be amazed. In capable hands Panasonic is excellent camera.

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
okkie68
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?

utomo99 wrote:

is that correct that panasonic has some common problems

1. Red Eye.

2. Noise

3. Flash not good enough

especially on compact

Thanks

I like this camera, it's doing a good job for me, I don't have the issues you have with yours, maybe you should take it back to the store? Or maybe another camera will suit you more... I guess everybody has his own ways of shooting and you have to look what's best for you

hope you find one, or trade this fz, maybe there's a defect...

okkie68's gear list:okkie68's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
leerob
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to utomo99, Nov 10, 2012

BTW where were you before we bought "bad" Panasonic cameras. On this forum all did. You should have warned as before, now we're all doomed to love our cameras.

Please, buy what you like. We will stick with Panasonic!

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,287Gear list
Like?

Other than some image noise at ISO 100 and I think that is because they wanted a sharper image jpg (trade off) the rest is very good.  I thought the red eye adjustment was the best I have seen yet with my FZ200 and the flash is quite good so far.  Plus the flash is adjustable if you feel you need to tweak it.  Other than some image noise that can be eliminated using a program like Neat Image on the jpg's everything else with this camera is fabulous.  I have not used it much for video yet...I did have some issues early on taking some video and the camera having a hard time focusing but I was using a lens protector so maybe that had something to do with it.  I have a Panny TM90 I use for video so probably will not use the FZ200 much for video.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
utomo99
Like?

Thanks for all the reply.

Look at two famous Panasonic PS camera

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx7/14

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs20-tz30-review/9

Read there:
photos still have too much noise, even at ISO 100

and also look at the Flash score

utomo99
Like?
In reply to leerob, Nov 10, 2012

leerob wrote:

IMO couldn't be more wrong. Panasonic offers Leica lenses, which are second to none. Look at some pictures on this forum taken with a variety of camera models and you'll be amazed. In capable hands Panasonic is excellent camera.

I agree that Leica lens are good.

But we also need a good sensor and other parts

and many people say that the panasonic sensor are the weakest point in panasonic cameras.

and panasonic need to improve it by reducing the noise

Balifly
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?

Very questionable !

There are better cameras !

Balifly's gear list:Balifly's gear list
utomo99
Like?

utomo99 wrote:

Thanks for all the reply.

Look at two famous Panasonic PS camera

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx7/14

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs20-tz30-review/9

Read there:
photos still have too much noise, even at ISO 100

and also look at the Flash score

sorry, I forget

Strong redeye; no removal tool in playback mode

Ronomy
Like?

Why would anybody want to remove red eye on playback?  Dumb reason to not buy a camera IMHO.  Fix it in post processing if you have too.  Plus just shoot without the flash if you find it a problem.  Also there are always better cameras coming out...they get better every year.  I don't see any problems with these cameras for what they were designed for.  The reviews are quite good for this level of camera.

Kevin Omura
Senior MemberPosts: 1,614Gear list
Like?

utomo99 wrote:

1. Red Eye.

2. Noise

3. Flash not good enough

especially on compact

Thanks

Hmm lets see, when I worked in retail as a store manager for the largest camera supply chain in Canada I used to hear the following complaints about these new compact film cameras...

1 red eye

2 graininess and poor colours of high speed film

3 flash too weak

I think you have to consider the design limitations of the these small cameras. First off with red eye it's a matter of physics. The flash and lens are too close together therefore unless you can extend the flash away from the lens (which can then be easily snapped off) or make the body really big to get the flash away from the lens you will always have red eye.

Noise is also a factor of the limitations in sensor design. Things have improved massively but there will be apoint again where physics will take over and improvements will no longer be significant.

Flash not good enough, why many of the superzooms have a hot shoe.... again if you made the flash more powerful it will consume more battery power erg shorter run time for the camera. Also increase the likely hood of red eye.

I suspect at some point we will see LEDs start to replace flashes on compact cameras.

One way around this problem with lighiting may be to buy these little remote strobes that I pack in my kit. Powered by a couple of AAA batteries they are clear round bubbles with a flash tube inside and a slave sensor. I use them when I need a bit of a kick when shooting location and I don't want to use my flash kit with umbrellas and stands. Downside is they are easy to forget and leave behind.

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +46 more
utomo99
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Nov 10, 2012

Ronomy wrote:

Why would anybody want to remove red eye on playback? Dumb reason to not buy a camera IMHO. Fix it in post processing if you have too. Plus just shoot without the flash if you find it a problem. Also there are always better cameras coming out...they get better every year. I don't see any problems with these cameras for what they were designed for. The reviews are quite good for this level of camera.

Many PS user did not post processing on computer.

they want good image out from cameras.

Some situations need flash. so why not giving better flash if other cameras can have it, I believe panasonic also can give better flash.

I just hoping panasonic fans did not defend panasonic brands too much, so panasonic think they did not have problems to fix it

panasonic need to know what they need to improve on next cameras based on current cameras review

just my2c

utomo99
Like?
In reply to Kevin Omura, Nov 10, 2012

Kevin Omura wrote:

utomo99 wrote:

1. Red Eye.

2. Noise

3. Flash not good enough

especially on compact

Thanks

Hmm lets see, when I worked in retail as a store manager for the largest camera supply chain in Canada I used to hear the following complaints about these new compact film cameras...

1 red eye

2 graininess and poor colours of high speed film

3 flash too weak

I think you have to consider the design limitations of the these small cameras. First off with red eye it's a matter of physics. The flash and lens are too close together therefore unless you can extend the flash away from the lens (which can then be easily snapped off) or make the body really big to get the flash away from the lens you will always have red eye.

Noise is also a factor of the limitations in sensor design. Things have improved massively but there will be apoint again where physics will take over and improvements will no longer be significant.

Flash not good enough, why many of the superzooms have a hot shoe.... again if you made the flash more powerful it will consume more battery power erg shorter run time for the camera. Also increase the likely hood of red eye.

I suspect at some point we will see LEDs start to replace flashes on compact cameras.

One way around this problem with lighiting may be to buy these little remote strobes that I pack in my kit. Powered by a couple of AAA batteries they are clear round bubbles with a flash tube inside and a slave sensor. I use them when I need a bit of a kick when shooting location and I don't want to use my flash kit with umbrellas and stands. Downside is they are easy to forget and leave behind.

about the red eye, why other cameras can give better red eye result ?

same about noise, why other brand can give less noise ? why panasonic can not give better result ?

It will be good if built in flash improved, so we can reduce the need of using external flash

Ronomy
Like?

Well from my experience with the FX200 I don't see any problems so go figure.  My 2 cents!  

Balifly
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Nov 11, 2012

The FZ200 does not seem to fit your requirements.

Have a look at the Nikon Coolpix P510.

Or the Canon PowerShot SX500 IS .

Best of luck with your search!   

Balifly's gear list:Balifly's gear list
Kevin Omura
Senior MemberPosts: 1,614Gear list
Like?
In reply to utomo99, Nov 11, 2012

utomo99 wrote,

about the red eye, why other cameras can give better red eye result ?

same about noise, why other brand can give less noise ? why panasonic can not give better result ?

It will be good if built in flash improved, so we can reduce the need of using external flash

Considering how easy it is to remove red  eye in Photoshop and the design limitations in providing a fix is this really a problem?

Again what sensor sizes are involved and in camera firmware, I shoot with a lot of different cameras and can't say I find Panasonic any worse than others, without providing any significant data other than supposition I can't say that the problem you note is something that is worse with this brand then others.

Again, goes to design limitations which ALL camera makes have, more powerful flash = larger flash tubes = need for larger camera body and battery. I rearly use the built in flash on my FZ200, I prefer available light which is why I bought this particular camera. We also own several point and shoot pocket cameras which I do use the flash on but keep in mind their limitations. I own a DSLR kit and a portable flash kit with two power heads stands and umbrellas for times I do need to light a subject.

IMHO it boils down to understanding the limitations of your gear vs your shooting requirements.....

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +46 more
Ronomy
Like?
In reply to Balifly, Nov 11, 2012

I think you responded to the wrong post.  I am not unhappy with my Panasonic camera.

DutchMate
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,429
Like?
In reply to Kevin Omura, Nov 11, 2012

the panasonics have great optics. I agree they are a tad noisy. I prefer it over smearing detail in camera processing which can not be worked on post processing..

They came a long way with colours and wb in the last 5 years... Newest generation have better colour imo. But people mistake out of camera shots to be perfect. Remember film days you have to bring the roll to get developed.

The devolping is key as is post processing these days.. imho

-- hide signature --

maarten

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads