Re: Full frame Pentax
In reply to Elliot H, Nov 9, 2012

Elliot H wrote:

what is the probability of Pentax

making a full frame (35mm) camera

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?
Pentax? 100%. Members? 0% …

Elliot H wrote:

Or to clarify, what's the probability that a week shall pass, and no one ask that same question in this forum?

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
etoastw
Regular MemberPosts: 425Gear list
Like?
In reply to rogerstpierre, Nov 9, 2012

rogerstpierre wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

This topic hasn't been discussed enough, apparently.

Anyway, the probability is 1.0 I reckon.  If you want a time frame, then I can't give you one; but I'd be surprised if they don't make one sometime between now and the end of our civilisation.

I'm assuming you mean digital full frame.  Clearly they've made a few full frame film cameras.

etoastw's gear list:etoastw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +10 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,801Gear list
Like?

Elliot H wrote:

Assuming you mean Digital FF slr the they made their first Circa 2000.

Now when they make their second that should be shortly.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,698Gear list
Like?
We've been promised one!

This is what you're looking for:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50039154

So i'd say it looks pretty certain, but it could easily take another year... or 2.

I hope it wasn't some low-blowing marketing trick to keep us from switching to a D800... In a few months, it would be nice to see a FF lens roadmap (Pentax said they needed one, not me) as well as a timeline for the FF launch. Just a question of following up on a promise.

After all, they showed us a FF prototype about 10 years ago. Then.... nothing.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?

Elliot H wrote:

FF 35mm--pointless after seeing what is happening to Eastman Koadak

FF DSLR--very good and hinting that the have many nice primes that are compatible with this format.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
Mr Jam
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Seriously help me understand this

Seriously I want to understand this.  If anybody wants a FF camera why not just buy another system available right now?  I went to B&H site and selected

SLR lenses, USA, Full Frame

Overall there are 54 Canons, 57 Nikons and only 7 Pentax full frame lenses available today.  There are also several full frame bodies from other brands and 0 from Pentax.  Personally, I am not a fan of legacy second hand manual lenses with unknown pricing and quality.

So, if I want a full frame system, I will buy another known and proven brand with few known and proven lenses and will be done tomorrow.  It will be more practical and actually cheaper (compare Pentax lens prices with others) to wait few years for Pentax to produce a body and few lenses when you can buy them right now from other manufacturers.

Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: Seriously help me understand this
In reply to Mr Jam, Nov 9, 2012

Mr Jam wrote:

Seriously I want to understand this. If anybody wants a FF camera why not just buy another system available right now? I went to B&H site and selected

SLR lenses, USA, Full Frame

Overall there are 54 Canons, 57 Nikons and only 7 Pentax full frame lenses available today. There are also several full frame bodies from other brands and 0 from Pentax. Personally, I am not a fan of legacy second hand manual lenses with unknown pricing and quality.

So, if I want a full frame system, I will buy another known and proven brand with few known and proven lenses and will be done tomorrow. It will be more practical and actually cheaper (compare Pentax lens prices with others) to wait few years for Pentax to produce a body and few lenses when you can buy them right now from other manufacturers.

My thoughts exactly.  I left Canon 5D mkii for Pentax, I don't miss full frame that badly.

-- hide signature --

Creyr Glas Lightworks

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
zakaria
Senior MemberPosts: 1,624Gear list
Like?

I think pentax will strongly support their approach in APS/C weather seal system/cameras and lenses/not the full frame system.

the big boys/canikon/ tend to make full frame their main system while pentax may be to be the only player in APS/C/c system.

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
DAD519
Contributing MemberPosts: 688
Like?

I was thinking about this and my own sutuation.  I for one do not have any of the procey legacy glass to put on a FF body.  I have some lenses that members claim will work but Pentax has not confirmed as of yet.  I figure I would have to buy all new anyways and that means all manufacturers are in the race.

I have no plans on moving anytime soon.  I am fine with my equipment now.

-- hide signature --
miles green
Like?

Because we already have a few lens that we really really like?

Because we like Pentax design and ergonomics?

Pentax customer base is mostly amateur photographers, often "advanced" amateur, with wants that are quite different from the needs of pros. And them being wants  rather than needs, means that most of us can afford to wait...

Not that some pro features would hurt, but anyway....

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
baldeagle21b
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
In reply to miles green, Nov 9, 2012

miles green wrote:

Pentax customer base is mostly amateur photographers, often "advanced" amateur, with wants that are quite different from the needs of pros. And them being wants rather than needs, means that most of us can afford to wait...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

And because most enthusiasts don't need it, they won't buy it until the price is reduced to the bargain price sale point, witness the recent surge of sales for the now-bargain priced K-01. Don't think that the bean counters and execs at Ricoh/Pentax aren't aware of that, too.

baldeagle21b's gear list:baldeagle21b's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
Philnw2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244Gear list
Like?
In reply to zakaria, Nov 10, 2012

I'm not against getting another camera make if i need one.  It seems like a lot of FF discussions deteriorate into a purely technical discussion.  I do believe there is an art to good photography and to look at purely numbers on a sheet, is to miss some no less important attributes.

I'm now an officially unofficial two system camera owner with the recent purchase of a Nex 5n.  I posted many times on Pentax Forums about the need for Pentax to compete in the mirrorless market, and finally chose the 5n as an existing product that would provide me the mobility and compactness that i wanted.

on the other hand, I was doing headshots for local playhouse general auditions last night, and i chose the K5 as the most effective tool for the job.   I put my softbox on a stand, slipped a cactus radio transmitter in the hotshoe, put on the FA50 1.4, and for 2 hours, the K5 performed flawlessly taking portraits.  One veteran actor with an existing portrait, said he preferred my portrait picture and asked how he could obtain it.

I haven't read of a DSLR out there that has as quiet a shutter as the K5 (and i assume the later K5 updates).  Reports i hear of Nikon's D600 say that its got a noisy shutter, and when i heard that my interest level ceased.  Even my compact Nex 5n has a much more noisy shutter than the K5.  I'm not against buying a FF camera if i needed it and it provided an upgrade, but right now the K5 does the job for me when i shoot theater rehearsals, and the Nex 5n provides a cool way to do sidewalk shooting.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Nex 5n, Pentax K5D

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
kriztian
Contributing MemberPosts: 634
Like?
In reply to Elliot H, Nov 10, 2012

Would it be possible to use current lenses for K5 on a fullframe body?

-- hide signature --

kriztian

miles green
Like?
In reply to baldeagle21b, Nov 10, 2012

baldeagle21b wrote:

miles green wrote:

Pentax customer base is mostly amateur photographers, often "advanced" amateur, with wants that are quite different from the needs of pros. And them being wants rather than needs, means that most of us can afford to wait...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

And because most enthusiasts don't need it, they won't buy it until the price is reduced to the bargain price sale point, witness the recent surge of sales for the now-bargain priced K-01. Don't think that the bean counters and execs at Ricoh/Pentax aren't aware of that, too.

True, but not always: the economics of luxury items confuses the * out of me, whether these items are cars, bicycles, boats, cameras, wine, shoes, bags.... the last 2, i really don't get!

I donno which of the 2 categories a FF Pentax will fall in, but i have the feeling this one will be targeted for the luxury Pentax fans!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to Elliot H, Nov 10, 2012

Having been gone for a week I'm "shocked" to see a FF thread on the forum.  My current position is that if Pentax comes out with a FF model I'll take a look to see how it fits my needs and what feature set it brings, check the cost and see if I can fit it on my gear road map.  I'm getting excellent results with the gear I currently have and would be looking for compelling reasons to upgrade.  So my opinion is, that it is more important for Pentax as a manufacturer what cameras they bring out.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
miles green
Like?
In reply to kriztian, Nov 10, 2012

Officially, of the lens currently in production, only the FAs and DFAs will work (31 f/1.8, 35 f/2, 43 f/1.9, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.8 macro, 77 f/1.8 and 100 f/2.8 macro)

Unofficially, all DA primes 40mm and more "kinda" work, but with vignetting and to various extent, lower quality edges. For landscapes that doesn't work for me, but for many other shots, I add vignette and peripheral blurring in post.

None of the DA zooms or wider primes work.

All the film lens will work. But they are not coated for digital, which means that bright light sources in the frame can generate flare. Sharpness should be good but newer lens have less CA.

Do a google search for ricehigh's blog...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to miles green, Nov 11, 2012

Sorry if this was already posted, but in addition the DA* 55mm supposedly will work.  I would certainly give it a try if I got a chance.   Nikon FF cameras automatically switch to "crop mode" if one puts a DX (APS/C compatible) lens on the camera.  Pentax would likely do the same.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
kriztian
Contributing MemberPosts: 634
Like?
In reply to miles green, Nov 11, 2012

Thanks

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads