the saddest day - when new york swallows your new 24-70 (dont trust posties!!!!)

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
the saddest day - when new york swallows your new 24-70 (dont trust posties!!!!)
Nov 9, 2012

So I shipped my lens I bought from B&H photo back to them because it had a problem with the aperature blades.  Its ok.. my a99 wasnt in yet.  This was mid october, coming from Canada, five day delivery

October 28 - I get a status update.  Processed through sna francisco facility.

It is now November 8th and there has no been an update the following are the problems that I ran into and what I found out about the post along the way.

-even though I paid extra money for 5 day expedited, they tell me there is not guaruntee.  I have to file a search request and I cannot do that with american post it has to be done through canadian, and then they will contact american this process starts at ABOUT 30 DAYs and can go as HIGH AS 90 days.

5 day expedited?  Try 1/3 of a year.  Their answer?  No guaruntees.

-insurance is restricted to 1000$ on post.. now I know why.  They lose or steal your stuff then they leave you hanging.  Given that whoever out there didnt bother to update anything with a scan?  I am GREATLY inclined to believe that it was stolen by the post.

-another word of advice.  When shipping something valuable don't list the price on it like they say.  This only helps postal employees identify which are the best packages to steal.  I have never had anything disappear in the post that was not greater then 500$ so if your below that your probably fine.  The thief needs incentive to take the risk.

This is the most depressing day of my life.  I have my a99.  its silent.  Its partner.  Gone.

Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dustinash
Like?
Re: the saddest day - when new york swallows your new 24-70 (dont trust posties!!!!)
In reply to Dustinash, Nov 9, 2012

Dustinash wrote:

So I shipped my lens I bought from B&H photo back to them because it had a problem with the aperature blades. Its ok.. my a99 wasnt in yet. This was mid october, coming from Canada, five day delivery

October 28 - I get a status update. Processed through sna francisco facility.

It is now November 8th and there has no been an update the following are the problems that I ran into and what I found out about the post along the way.

-even though I paid extra money for 5 day expedited, they tell me there is not guaruntee. I have to file a search request and I cannot do that with american post it has to be done through canadian, and then they will contact american this process starts at ABOUT 30 DAYs and can go as HIGH AS 90 days.

5 day expedited? Try 1/3 of a year. Their answer? No guaruntees.

-insurance is restricted to 1000$ on post.. now I know why. They lose or steal your stuff then they leave you hanging. Given that whoever out there didnt bother to update anything with a scan? I am GREATLY inclined to believe that it was stolen by the post.

-another word of advice. When shipping something valuable don't list the price on it like they say. This only helps postal employees identify which are the best packages to steal. I have never had anything disappear in the post that was not greater then 500$ so if your below that your probably fine. The thief needs incentive to take the risk.

This is the most depressing day of my life. I have my a99. its silent. Its partner. Gone.

24-70 carlzeiss! Never got to fire a single shot.  Only got to hold it and rotate the zoom and imagine. It was beautiful and now it is gone.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,590Gear list
Like?
Re: the saddest day - when new york swallows your new 24-70 (dont trust posties!!!!)

​Buy locally and pay your taxes and enjoy your wonderful health care and benefits.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Stv
Stv
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,504Gear list
Like?

Nothing I can say is going to make you feel any better, but I do feel your pain.

Any photo purchase that is unable to be fully insured or may need future service needs to be purchased from a local Brick and Mortar, especially if you are in Canada. B&H, been there, done it....... once! Henry's or SONY Store get all of my major gear $'s for many years now.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Simplify_balancE_eXclude = photo SEX
The First rule of photography is; there are no rules. The Second rule of photography is the; rule of Thirds. The Third rule of photography is; if the Second rule does not apply, defer to the First rule.
http://stv.smugmug.com/

J Birn
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. The only good part is that they still might find, it at least could pay you insurance, so it probably won't be a total loss.

When the new iPad came out earlier this year, I ordered one. It was supposed to ship to me at work, via UPS. When the box arrived, it was very light, and the iPad had been removed. The fraud people at UPS said they actually had a suspect and surveillance video and an arrest was immanent, and Apple shipped me a new iPad. The new one was shipped straight from China. I tracked it as it reached a city in the USA, then the package never left that city. I called UPS and eventually they confirmed that a second iPad in the row had gone missing. At this point, the new iPads were in stock locally, so I had Apple refund my money and just bought one at the local Apple store. We weren't out any money (I'm glad the shipping dept. at work noted that the box felt light when they signed for the first one), but it still boggles my mind that 2 iPads in a row were stolen en transit by UPS, meaning that in two different cities in the USA, there could be UPS employees walking around using a stolen iPad with my wife's initials etched in the back.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

J Birn's gear list:J Birn's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
In reply to J Birn, Nov 9, 2012

I use Henry's.  A77 and 99 and 3k in lenses.  But 5 weeks later Sony Canada repair has my 70 300 G lens and don't reply at all.  I'm unhappy without recourse.  At 7 weeks I file a claim with fedex.

Retired forensic photographer.
London, Ontario, Canada.

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Kzoozoomer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
In reply to J Birn, Nov 9, 2012

Don't give up hope!  Anything of international origin can occasionally get detoured endlessly by the USPS.  Local post offices tell you they can't answer questions about international shipments and tell you to call an 800 number that gives you nothing but a useless recorded message.  Meanwhile, tracking information can stay unchanged for days.

When i ordered a used Minolta 200/2.8 G APO HS lens (valued at a little over $1,000) from a very reliable dealer in Japan, the package was shipped by air from Osaka to customs at O'Hare Airport.  From there it was sent to the USPS distribution center in Detroit--the wrong distribution center for the west side of Michigan where I live.  It sat there "undeliverable" for several days while I tried in vain to contact someone there.  Then suddenly the tracking information indicated that the package had been returned to Osaka! At that point my heart almost stopped and the dealer in Osaka was in total disbelief!  Next, EMS in Osaka promptly shipped the package back to O'Hare customs, who this time routed the package to the USPS distribution center in Grand Rapids--which was the correct place to send it.  Finally, about a day later, the package was delivered to my house.  Thank heavens this particular dealer used the best packing materials I have ever seen and my lens was delivered in excellent+ condition despite bouncing back and forth between Osaka and the U.S.

Another time back when I collected sports memorabilia, I ordered an item from Canada that I think cost about $25.  The package was obviously opened and inspected by Canadian customs.  When I received it, the package was about as secure as a McDonald's takeout bag but somehow my item was in okay condition.

Based on my other international purchases, I don't think these things happen very often, but when they do happen it certainly makes for a harrowing experience.

Good luck!  I hope they find your lens!

Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kzoozoomer, Nov 9, 2012

Hey, anyone want to buy my just found 24-70 Zeiss?  Said Canada on the package, but I threw that out hours ago.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
surfnet
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?

Unfortunately, I have a simillar tale to tell.  I sent a laptop to my daughter at school in Chicago and it was lost (stolen).  The thing that made me mad was that USPS people did not do anything to help.  They just gave me phone numbers and I had to call first the destination post office which said they never received. And, the origin post office people said it left there.  Nobody bothered to even call me back.

Of course, it was a pain trying to claim insurance and it took months to get my money back.  I wish I could say your lens might show up, but I am sorry to say a post office employee stole it.  I am sure most post office employees are honest, but my experience does not make me feel sorry for USPS if they have to cut back.

surfnet's gear list:surfnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
Dustinash
Like?
In reply to surfnet, Nov 9, 2012

You have all made me feel a lot better.  I have resolved though that I will not be satisfied with insurance I will do my damnedest to file a claim with what ever police precinct works in that region.  I may not be able to do anything but if people start doing that maybe the police will respond and actually force the post to provide security.

And I agree.  It was stolen.  I would advise all shippers to not honestly put the value of expensive goods on the box.  It only causes you to incur risk.

phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

I have had a few things shipped to me - Paintball markers X 2 and Lenses X 2 - all of them arrived safely (although both lenses did not work, but that was not due to shipping) and both lenses when shipped back made it to their destination.

I live in Canada, but have a shipping address in the States and luckily I live only about 20 mins from the border.

I dont have to pay the extra shipping costs (rip off) that UPS charges for having to cross the border. Since it is a "local" rather than international, the contents of the box dont have to be written out to tempt the rare unscrupulous individuals working in the shipping business

So for things I cant get here or for things that cost way too much it works out ok. I try to buy locally if I can, but sometimes it is really hard to justify paying the extra

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
aardvark7
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,110
Like?
My sympathies

One does have to wonder about these things when you do buy insurance.

I recently returned an A99 to Hong Kong (another story well documented in the forum!) and sent via DHL. They wanted about £40 for express delivery and the insurance was.... over £90!!! A total of almost £140.

Now, if we take the value of an A99 as £2300, as there can be no extraneous claims for incurred costs, more than one parcel in every 25 would have to disappear for them not to make money!

Either it is gouging the customer, acknowledgement that delivery services are full of thieves, or a combination of both. With your experience and mine being all too typical, I think it is the latter. A very sad reflection on our fellow man.

-- hide signature --

2012 : My new year's resolution -
To be decided...

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,927
Like?

Forget Canada post. I use them in Canada only their tracking can not work outside of Canada, so any time you trace it goes to the border and that's it. Also they have to send a request to the foreign authority they sent it through to track any further and I can assure you those request are not taken too seriously. UPS, purolator, FED ex, DHL or anyone else would have been better. and can insure for higher values and have proper dispute resolution in place. of those UPS is the most frustrating to deal with but they always find a way to resolve your problem.

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 16,280Gear list
Like?
USPS police's themselves and they are a very dedicated Union to each other
In reply to surfnet, Nov 9, 2012

Our neighborhood had a problem with a new route person placing mail in the wrong boxes, it wasnt as simple as just the wrong number it was different streets.  So nice notes were left in, out and all around about the issue.  But nothing worked.

So I gathered all of the continued wrong mail and mailed it to the Postmaster General.  Things still did not change.  So one day I filed a real complaint and got a call from the local office.  I demanded that disciplinary action be taken, but nothing ever happened.

You see, they police themselves and NO cares in the US federal Government.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975
Like?

Unfortunately... postal worker theft is hardly new let alone unheard of.

That being said, there is still the possibility that your package can show up at your door at some point.

PS. were you not able to insure the item for its full value?

ProducePete
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?

Be aware that much of the New York City area is still dealing with issues from Superstorm Sandy and the Nor'easter that rolled through the other day.  I know both FedEx and UPS have notices up on their websites that advise package delivery and pickup is still significantly delayed in many areas.  So, your package could just be caught up in dealing with the aftermath of the storms.

sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,371Gear list
Like?
I see nothing unusual.

Nothing here indicates your lens is lost or gone forever. You shipped from Canada less than two weeks ago.

I sell on eBay and regardless of when and where you ship something in the USA, if it's not sent overnight or 2nd day you have no guarantee of arrival within 2-5 days. This is even true of US Priority, which is usually 2-3 days but can take longer.

Tracking from CA to US is not always reliable and will not update for days on end, and USPS mail is iffy right now due to Hurricane Sandy, especially to NY. Many people there don't even have power yet, and the damage to infrastructure was extensive.

So I think you should relax and not worry too much about it or blame 'New York' or USPS for 'swallowing' your lens. Worst case it might take a couple of months to get compensated if your package really was lost, but it's very unlikely. In about 15 years of selling online I've only had one box disappear off the grid and never turn up, requiring a claim and compensation.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads