D600 + 28-300 travel tripod + head

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
tyler_dx
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
D600 + 28-300 travel tripod + head
Nov 8, 2012

hi there,

i am searching for a travel tripod for the D600 + 28-300 (1.6 kg / 3.6 lb). this combination will be the heaviest i'll use with this tripod.

i want to use the tripod for landscape shots (day and night) and for time lapse as well - using a time lapse motion controller (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3333480#forum-post-50253792). i don't think i'll use it for normal video.

it should be...

- very light weight (preferably <3.5lb for the tripod only) => maybe carbon fiber

- folded size should be very small => should fit in a regular 30-35 l backpack

- max height: not that important

- decent quality. not top-notch (way <700$), not flimsy

- head: no idea...

i heard lots of good things about the benro travel angel series. i really like manfrotto tripods n heads, however, i didn't find THE travel tripod for me in their range so far.

this one sounds decent as well: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/tripods/giottos-mtl9361b-and-mh1311652-1027720/review/2#articleContent  => too heavy though

which tripod and head combination do you use for these kind of purposes? what did you pay?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,179Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 + 28-300 travel tripod + head
In reply to tyler_dx, Nov 12, 2012

For travel I just bought a Sunwayfoto FB-36 it is very small ballhead and lightweight but holds a lots of weight without issues, even my D800 w 50-500mm, Yesterday I tested it with my old 600mm AIS, perfect, no issues. I think that I paid $140 or so for the head, I honestly compared against the other arca compatible heads, and this is everybit as good and well made.

I would probably match this head with a carbon fiber promaster tripod T325P or the T525P , they are lightweight, well built, not cheap.

http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=7518

GOOD LUCK !

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/bobhandal/BANNERXPEDITION1.jpg

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tyyreaun
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
In reply to tyler_dx, Nov 12, 2012

If you're trying to stick to under $700 than a Feisol CT-3441 tripod and a PhotoClam head (probably the PC-36NS) would probably be your best bet.

Of course, those are knockoffs of the Gitzo GT1542T Traveler tripod and Markins Q3T ballhead respectively, which many consider the "standard" for a small, lightweight travel kit.  High quality knockoffs, of course, that will certainly get the job done, but if you can swing it I'd go for the Gitzo + Markins combo.  The Gitzo + Markins will run you a bit under $900 including a quick release plate, while the Feisol + PhotoClam + quick release plate will go for around $650.

Haven't tried the Benro myself, but the general comments I've seen say that it's good, but definitely not a Gitzo.  It'd probably be comparable to the Feisol.

tyyreaun's gear list:tyyreaun's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D7000 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 +4 more
tyler_dx
Like?
In reply to tyyreaun, Nov 18, 2012
thx a lot for your recommendations.

yea a gitzo is not in my league. don't want to spend that much as i won't be using the tripod too too often. the feisol with the photoclam looks just excellent. now i still have to decide: feisol or benro. i don't see a big difference - but that is always pretty hard with tripods - not so easy to compare.

the benro also works as a monopod which i think is a good add-on. price-wise the feisol and the benro are pretty similar.

you helped me a lot - thanks again.

imagethemomentstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
In reply to tyler_dx, Nov 18, 2012

tyler_dx wrote:

hi there,

i am searching for a travel tripod for the D600 + 28-300 (1.6 kg / 3.6 lb). this combination will be the heaviest i'll use with this tripod.

i want to use the tripod for landscape shots (day and night) and for time lapse as well - using a time lapse motion controller (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3333480#forum-post-50253792). i don't think i'll use it for normal video.

it should be...

- very light weight (preferably <3.5lb for the tripod only) => maybe carbon fiber

- folded size should be very small => should fit in a regular 30-35 l backpack

- max height: not that important

- decent quality. not top-notch (way <700$), not flimsy

- head: no idea...

i heard lots of good things about the benro travel angel series. i really like manfrotto tripods n heads, however, i didn't find THE travel tripod for me in their range so far.

this one sounds decent as well: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/tripods/giottos-mtl9361b-and-mh1311652-1027720/review/2#articleContent => too heavy though

which tripod and head combination do you use for these kind of purposes? what did you pay?

a good manfrotto is a 293 with the ball head its small enough and holds my 1ds iii and 24-70 with little issue another idea is an induro ct014 or at014 with a bh0 ball head will be good as well.

any question let me know.

imagethemomentstudios's gear list:imagethemomentstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
tyler_dx
Like?
In reply to imagethemomentstudios, Nov 19, 2012

thx for the info. but as much as i like manfrotto, the 293 seems not to be the right one for me - not carbon fibre and too big for travelling.

best regards, tyler

Scott Oberle
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
In reply to tyler_dx, Nov 20, 2012

I just bought a Benro A2190T. No center column, 54.33" set up, 16.93" folded, 3.13 lbs, 25.4 load. When it is collapsed it is flat, which makes it very easy to pack in a suitcase or carry on a day pack. Cost was less than $160 without a head. This would seem to be the sort of 'pod you are looking for. It certainly is a lot less combersome than my full sized RRS tripod and head...

-- hide signature --

Scott Oberle

aspalmat
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to Scott Oberle, Nov 23, 2012

I was thinking of buying a Promaster XC 522.

Link here: Promaster XC522

It folds up to less than 12", weights less than 2 #'s, and will supposedly hold up to 11 lbs.  I just looked at one at my local camera store, and it looks very nice.

Anyone use one of these are have any experience with one?  It looks like it would easily fit in a backpack or carry on bag.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads