Composition question

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
Ichinichi
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Composition question
Nov 8, 2012

I snapped this quick image out of an upper story internal window at the Louvre and upon review it really appealed to me; something about the placement or spacing of statues, people and foliage? Or the architecture? or lines? ????

Can someone explain? Or is it just appealing to me?

Edit: Unprocessed JPEG from Canon FD 24mm f/2 on Sony NEX 5N

willym
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
Re: Composition question
In reply to Ichinichi, Nov 8, 2012

I didn't realise this was 'real' at first glance - first thought was that it was an architect's model.

I like it

I agree in both that it is interesting, and not really knowing why

willym's gear list:willym's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ichinichi
Like?
In reply to willym, Nov 8, 2012

Yah! That's exactly what I felt: "architect's model".

rogatsby
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?

Ichinichi wrote:

I snapped this quick image out of an upper story internal window at the Louvre and upon review it really appealed to me; something about the placement or spacing of statues, people and foliage? Or the architecture? or lines? ????

There is a fair amount of distortion in this photo.  Do you notice it, especially on the left side?

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
willym
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

Ichinichi wrote:

Yah! That's exactly what I felt: "architect's model".

I used to help my architect housemate back in uni to make is models after lectures into the early hours of the morning. We'd hold up a a piece of cardboard cut into a mesh and use a lamp to simulate the appearance of a glass roof.

Looked exactly like it does here

willym's gear list:willym's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
Ichinichi
Like?
In reply to rogatsby, Nov 8, 2012

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

There is a fair amount of distortion in this photo. Do you notice it, especially on the left side?

I presume you're judging by the shadow lines? The roof is a semi cylinder (not sure what the architectural name is) and I think distortion would have affected the pillars in the top left and the woman in the middle left, which I do not see. Also, if you look at the original size, you'll see the connecting lines between the stone/marble floor - they're straight. Distortion would impact everything, not just the roof shadow.

rogatsby
Like?

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

There is a fair amount of distortion in this photo. Do you notice it, especially on the left side?

I presume you're judging by the shadow lines? The roof is a semi cylinder (not sure what the architectural name is) and I think distortion would have affected the pillars in the top left and the woman in the middle left, which I do not see. Also, if you look at the original size, you'll see the connecting lines between the stone/marble floor - they're straight. Distortion would impact everything, not just the roof shadow.

I see. But the pic still doesn't look right for some reason. But nice try.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Ichinichi
Like?

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

Uh, so you come in here, don't look carefully, claim distortion, you're shown that you're wrong, and you give me a condescending "nice try"?

Jeez, any real input from more experienced members?

rogatsby
Like?

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

Uh, so you come in here, don't look carefully, claim distortion, you're shown that you're wrong, and you give me a condescending "nice try"?

Hey, there is nothing special about your photo. It doesn't show awesome composition, doesn't have great sharpness, and just looks off. Most of all, your initial post can be paraphrased in simple English as follows:

"I took this photograph and it is so awesome. Can someone tell me why it is so awesome?"

What response did you expect?

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,024Gear list
Like?

Ichinichi wrote:

Take it as just my personnel opinion. Attraction of an image can be caused by contrast. Contrast could be found in a color, space, or even content.

In this case, I believe that contrast is built by regular pattern of a roof shades and chaos created by the rest of a image. Looking carefully, you might find also the closer tree and biggest sculpture to create a diagonal, which is giving it - bit of dynamics.

However, I wouldn't look in the composition field when judging this photo. There is very few right about it. It works as a snapshot - nicely captured momentum, with a pleasant positive light and color and interesting shade pattern. But, try to think about it again, and if you can, get back to the place. I am sure you will come with better photo.

Just my 2c.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?

My eye had difficulty figuring out where to look. I don't even find myself looking at the statues as much as I am seeing the people and wondering where they are going. I think the concept hits on the right idea with the shadow lines, etc., but simplifying the concept could really tighten up the composition. Given your vantage point, you probably needed a different lens (e.g., 50) to do this, though.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Ichinichi
Like?

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

Hey, there is nothing special about your photo. It doesn't show awesome composition, doesn't have great sharpness, and just looks off. Most of all, your initial post can be paraphrased in simple English as follows:

"I took this photograph and it is so awesome. Can someone tell me why it is so awesome?"

I expect helpful answers or suggestions from people what I may find appealing so that I can go out and do or look out for more of those things. I said the photo appealed to me, not that it is absolutely awesome; clearly you're not reading nor looking at photos carefully, let alone qualified to summarize anything into simple English.

Furthermore, I certainly did not expect some troll who cannot tell the difference between shadows and distortion to bluster on about distortion or things being "off" in undefinable terms. Your post demonstrates quite obviously that you have no idea what you're talking about; please go practice taking more photos of wine bottles and get out of my thread.

Ichinichi
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Nov 8, 2012

sean lancaster wrote:

My eye had difficulty figuring out where to look. I don't even find myself looking at the statues as much as I am seeing the people and wondering where they are going. I think the concept hits on the right idea with the shadow lines, etc., but simplifying the concept could really tighten up the composition. Given your vantage point, you probably needed a different lens (e.g., 50) to do this, though.

Great insight and thanks for sharing your thoughts as you look at the image! Not knowing where to focus is another thing I noticed as well. I would have liked to focus on the couple on the bench or the couple in the bottom right as they contemplated the statue.

rogatsby
Like?

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

I expect helpful answers or suggestions from people what I may find appealing so that I can go out and do or look out for more of those things. I said the photo appealed to me, not that it is absolutely awesome; clearly you're not reading nor looking at photos carefully, let alone qualified to summarize anything into simple English.

Furthermore, I certainly did not expect some troll who cannot tell the difference between shadows and distortion to bluster on about distortion or things being "off" in undefinable terms. Your post demonstrates quite obviously that you have no idea what you're talking about; please go practice taking more photos of wine bottles and get out of my thread.

OK lol

Ichinichi
Like?

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

OK lol

Bye!

Ichinichi
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Nov 8, 2012

verybiglebowski wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

Take it as just my personnel opinion. Attraction of an image can be caused by contrast. Contrast could be found in a color, space, or even content.

In this case, I believe that contrast is built by regular pattern of a roof shades and chaos created by the rest of a image. Looking carefully, you might find also the closer tree and biggest sculpture to create a diagonal, which is giving it - bit of dynamics.

However, I wouldn't look in the composition field when judging this photo. There is very few right about it. It works as a snapshot - nicely captured momentum, with a pleasant positive light and color and interesting shade pattern. But, try to think about it again, and if you can, get back to the place. I am sure you will come with better photo.

Just my 2c.

WOW! THANKS! Lots to think about. I'd love to get back there again! Thank you also for delineating attraction and composition. More to read about. Exactly what I'm hoping for. Thank you, VBL!

verybiglebowski
Like?

WOW! THANKS! Lots to think about. I'd love to get back there again! Thank you also for delineating attraction and composition. More to read about. Exactly what I'm hoping for. Thank you, VBL!

No problem my friend, it is just my opinion.

I just wanted to clear it up - composition and contrast does have lot in common. There are many situations where contrast is created by the composition or vice versa.

What Sean wrote above, is of a great help in practice. Look at your display and let your eye stop somewhere. If it stops, check if that is the main subject of your photo. It is not universal rule of the composition (there is none anyway), but it is very practical help that can improve your photography.

Looking for the contrasts is something that will come by experience.

Just keep shooting and have fun.

Ichinichi
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Nov 8, 2012

verybiglebowski wrote:

No problem my friend, it is just my opinion.

I just wanted to clear it up - composition and contrast does have lot in common. There are many situations where contrast is created by the composition or vice versa.

What Sean wrote above, is of a great help in practice. Look at your display and let your eye stop somewhere. If it stops, check if that is the main subject of your photo. It is not universal rule of the composition (there is none anyway), but it is very practical help that can improve your photography.

Looking for the contrasts is something that will come by experience.

Just keep shooting and have fun.

Thanks for the guideline-of-thumb, the original photo isn't typical of my photos. It is an oddity that for some reason appealed to me but for what reason I cannot put my finger on.

Here's some more typical shots (MF, FD24 f/2 or FD50 f/1.4):

Pompeii

Pisa

Roman Forum

Venice, St. Marks Square from a Vaporetto

verybiglebowski
Like?

Those are all fairly nice compositions. Well done.

For that kind of photos you can benefit of a shift capable lens, as it can improve "falling lines". As they are quite big and expensive usually, you can try software correction as well.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,612
Like?

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

Ichinichi wrote:

My input is that is a good, and unusual, photo.

Perhaps its appeal may be that the architecture and the statues follow a rectangular grid, and the shadow seems to fit into the grid, almost like a diagram.

Trying to explain the quality of a work of art in words is a hopeless enterprise, no more useful than taking a photograph to explain a piece of music.

Anyway, this one works.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads