D600/D800 Firmware Update Coming

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363
Like?
D600/D800 Firmware Update Coming
Nov 8, 2012

D600 update will allow you to change aperture in live view during video mode.

D800 update will fix the focus priority AF-ON live view bug which can maker the screen go dark.

Not sure what other changes are coming, but these changes are very positive.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/08/upcoming-firmware-updates-for-nikon-d600-and-d800.aspx/

Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ralf Ronander
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
Re: D600/D800 Firmware Update Coming
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Nov 8, 2012

D800: focus priority with AF-ON and LV stopping down (dark screen) are two separate issues.

I really hope they fix both....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687
Like?

I'm really confused about the D600 aperture change during LV fix.  There have been several explanations of why the D600 (and other lower-end consumer bodies) are physically incapable of doing this.  It's no big deal to me, but it would be nice if this rumor is true.

Doug

Darren Langdon
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?

It would be great if they add the focus trap ability to the update. The AF-on focus priority bug was a nuisance. Glad that's gonna be fixed.

-- hide signature --

___________________________________________________________ One should never 'take' a photo but rather make one.....the only thing you should take is your time. FCAS Member #104

Darren Langdon's gear list:Darren Langdon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,429
Like?
How does one load the firmware update?

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

D800 update will fix the focus priority AF-ON live view bug which can maker the screen go dark.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/08/upcoming-firmware-updates-for-nikon-d600-and-d800.aspx/

How is this done?

AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363
Like?
Re: How does one load the firmware update?
In reply to leicaman, Nov 8, 2012

leicaman wrote:

How is this done?

It's extremely easy, you just load it onto a formatted memory card through your computer, then put the card in your camera, point it to the file and update firmware through the menu.  Takes 2 minutes.

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,780
Like?
Is this for real ?
In reply to Ralf Ronander, Nov 8, 2012

As far as I know, the D600 has the same issue with focus priority as the D800 does. Why not fix it on the D600 ??

lock

Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030
Like?

leicaman wrote:

How is this done?

It's extremely easy, you just load it onto a formatted memory card through your computer, then put the card in your camera, point it to the file and update firmware through the menu. Takes 2 minutes.

How do you backup your current firmware prior to update?? (in case you might want to revert back to the old one if not satisfied with the new version)

Leo

turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leo360, Nov 8, 2012

You can't Revert back to the old firmware.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
TWHTom
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Knisely, Nov 8, 2012

D Knisely wrote:

I'm really confused about the D600 aperture change during LV fix. There have been several explanations of why the D600 (and other lower-end consumer bodies) are physically incapable of doing this. It's no big deal to me, but it would be nice if this rumor is true.

Doug

Guess those explanations were BS because this fix is on the official list on Nikon's site

TWHTom's gear list:TWHTom's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-Pro1
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,169Gear list
Like?

Multiple AF tuning values (both ends and optionally for user middle) for zooms?

Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030
Like?
In reply to turbsy, Nov 9, 2012

turbsy wrote:

You can't Revert back to the old firmware.

Are you sure about it? If I have a firmware image as a file why can't I put in on a card and let camera to replace its firmware image with the one on the card? An ability to roll back an update is essential.

Leo

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,624
Like?
In reply to TWHTom, Nov 9, 2012

TWHTom wrote:

D Knisely wrote:

I'm really confused about the D600 aperture change during LV fix. There have been several explanations of why the D600 (and other lower-end consumer bodies) are physically incapable of doing this. It's no big deal to me, but it would be nice if this rumor is true.

Doug

Guess those explanations were BS because this fix is on the official list on Nikon's site

Link? I don't see it on NikonUSA.

-- hide signature --
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,640Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leo360, Nov 9, 2012

Leo asks:

Are you sure about it (not being able to revert a firmware update?

We can't be sure because we haven't had access to the rumored firmware update. But reverting to a previous firmware version has certainly not been possible in the past with Nikon dSLRs. That's why some deliberately wait for others to try it out for a few weeks before installing the update on their cameras.

So far Nikon's firmware updates have always been reliable to my recollection.

Also don't keep your hopes too high. It would not be the first time rumors surface about a firmware update which never materialize beyond the state of vapor ware.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,640Gear list
Like?
If we start the laundry list of desired features
In reply to inasir1971, Nov 9, 2012

How about no interpolation in LV ?

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Knisely, Nov 9, 2012

D Knisely wrote:

Doug

I'm confused too, thought there was a complex mirror, shutter, aperture lever thingamabob interaction preventing this?

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,751Gear list
Like?
Huh?
In reply to TWHTom, Nov 9, 2012

TWHTom wrote:

Which Nikon site? I couldn't find anything either on the USA site or on the European site.

Or did you think Nikon Rumor is an official site? Huh !

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346Gear list
Like?
In reply to KnightPhoto2, Nov 9, 2012

KnightPhoto2 wrote:

D Knisely wrote:

Doug

I'm confused too, thought there was a complex mirror, shutter, aperture lever thingamabob interaction preventing this?

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

BTW I tested my D7000 this week, based on a tip on Nikonians, and by entering LiveView in Shutter priority and then twiddling with exposure compensation I was able to manipulate the Aperture into opening and closing while recording.  Exposure IS affected though.

I guess if the goal is varying Aperture so that DOF changes during filming (from narrow to deep or vice versa) while "auto" maintains a consistent exposure.  I don't think I can get my D7000 to do this.  And trying my D800E it can do this, varying Aperture while filming in Aperture priority but when ISO jumps to compensate and maintain an even exposure, there is a noticeable flicker on the resultant video.  So stepping back here, what is the requirement to vary Aperture while filming and did we expect to see flickering we we do so?

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,848Gear list
Like?
Solid AF lock in studio light, AF-ON to CAF , LV 100% zoom to manual focus
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Nov 9, 2012

I am Hoping Niikon will "surprise" us by doing a "FW Canon".  and put down a D800 FW update that does not "just" Fix  but  IMPROVE !

1) Solid AF lock in studio light, the D800 does not have that ZIP-BEEP quick solid feel ,  it seems to be unsure (vs the D700).  and sometimes it has a slight miss focus (really slight, just enough to be irritating and Hard to check in the LCD)

2)  AF-ON to CAF ,  I would love to be in SAF in Focus Priority (half-press) ... and THEN with a simple press of the AF-ON button have my setting "switch" to a SAF (focus Priority) , with  CAF only on AF-ON and shutter to "just trigger".   Basically a "On-Demand"  famous Nikon AF-ON CAF setting.       ... yes, some will want Focus priority and some will want Release priority , it can just follow your CAF settings.

All Nikon would have to do is Allow you to PROGRAM  the AF-ON button to kick in your CAF settings, and make your shutter , shutter ONLY.

3) LV 100% zoom to manual focus,  really helpful if Nikon puts a fix to this in Live View zoom Manual focus.

* would love Nikon to ADD in some  SAVE ALL current settings into at least two USER Mode Settings , where ALL of the camera settings are saved, and can be brought back quickly. The original save.

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Martin Grecner
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
Re: Is this for real ?
In reply to lock, Nov 9, 2012

lock wrote:

As far as I know, the D600 has the same issue with focus priority as the D800 does. Why not fix it on the D600 ??

lock

Is there any issue with focus priority on D800 ?

I have done some testing with mine, and it just does not support trap focus, that is all.

Focus priority works fine, you just have to press the AF-ON button BEFORE releasing the shutter.

Is there some focus priority issue in live view or something like that ?

Martin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads