Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to fucile, Nov 13, 2012

fucile wrote:
When it becomes virtually impossible to change the battery on your laptop, then you really are committed to a two to three year machine. That really sucks. I'll wait to see what you think of your Air in two or three years.

Well, I use it for year and a half now, if I remember correctly, and the battery diagnostics report 1.8 years of battery age, 185 cycles and 91.3% capacity relative to new, which is not that bad at all. And when the battery falls below acceptable levels I'll just order a new one, either from ebay (together with a torx screwdriver) or from the local Apple store which will replace it for me when it arrives. It's not such a hugely different deal from what I would have with any other laptop, except that elsewhere I wouldn't have to see the laptop's guts just to change the battery. But I'm not the type who would carry a spare with me anyway so this is not a problem. The glued-in battery in the retinabook, however, is a problem for me since I have no idea on how they plan to actually change it. They probably change the touchpad as well, which sounds suspiciously like the admission of the touchpad's useful life not being longer than the battery's.

I admit I am concerned by the low repairability of Apple's computers because I am used to performing my own repairs and upgrades and don't like being dependent on anyone.

And 2 out of three Macs that I have had to have the HDD replaced because it FAILED within two years of purchase (not for FUN reasons at all).

Shock or overheating?

It's also quite annoying that most all of the reliability issues with Apple computers are resolved via class action lawsuits because Apple is so reluctant to admit there is anything actually wrong.

Yes, their public image is that "nothing ever goes wrong with a mac", which is just incredible knowing they put the generic off-the-shelf components into their machines. How a WD or Seagate HDD would be more reliable in a Mac than in a Lenovo or a HP, I have no idea.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,163Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't forget Aperture
In reply to fucile, Nov 13, 2012

fucile wrote:

It's nice that you like Aperture, but most people would consider it a disadvantage of OSX.

Just read the rants over Aperture in this forum.

Your statement makes no sense. How can Aperture be a "disadvantage of OS X" when it's not part of OS X? It's just an app, and OS X users can take it or leave it.

As for rants, you can read rants against anything on these forums. Fact is, most Aperture users love it. My business partner and I extensively tested other products and chose Aperture to run our event photography business. It's the best A-Z RAW workflow tool we've seen.

If you have a specific gripe about Aperture, make your case. Otherwise, you're just trolling.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
mike_ski
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Nov 13, 2012

I switched to a 27" imac from a 15" Windows laptop almost two years ago.  I admit I was expecting great things because I had read and was told that a Mac was the way to go for photos and video.  It is true that the Macs come with very capable software for these applications, as well as an upgrade path to higher end versions of similar software.

I really love the 27" high-res screen.  I like the decreased real estate my imac takes up compared to a comparable desktop (I have it set up in a home music recording studio).  It works considerably faster than any Windows machine I've had, and seems to run very stable (although it has had its hiccups).

The down side - I should have learned more about software and what I want the new tool to do.  It turns out that in multimedia (music, stills, video combined), much of the software and hardware accessories available at low prices, i.e., the best bang for the buck, is on the Windows platform.  The industry caters to young would-be producers without much money, not high-end, artsy-fartsy studios that can afford anything.  This industry assumes, in my opinion, that if I was really serious with my Mac, I would be splurging for Final Cut Pro and other high-end software (100's or 1000's of dollars) vs getting some third-party Windows app that can do 90% of what the high end Mac stuff can do for about $79.95.  My recommendation is to figure out what you are trying to do with your photography and videos, investigate the software that does what you want at the level you are willing to pay, and buy the platform that runs that software.  You may be surprized (but happy) with what you ultiimately end up with.

I have no regrets.  I've learned alot.  I have a great tool that I'm customizing to my use (including running Parallels so I can run Windows on it after all).

Mike H.

theefixrr
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Undah, Nov 13, 2012

Undah wrote:

I'm considering switching from a lifelong history of PC use to a macbook pro with Retina Display.

I'm not a mac user and don't know anything about them. I do a lot of photography related activities (photoshop, etc.) Some video slideshows, and web surfing (firefox).

Is there anything I will miss by switching?

Been on a MAC for 9 years and wished i made the move sooner. No pop ups, viruses or computer slow downs. Love my MAC.

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,084
Like?
In reply to mike_ski, Nov 13, 2012

mike_ski wrote:

My recommendation is to figure out what you are trying to do with your photography and videos, investigate the software that does what you want at the level you are willing to pay, and buy the platform that runs that software.

Yes...that's always been the best way to buy a computer. Understand your task, choose the software for that, then choose the hardware that runs it.

Then you can take other considerations into account, like the user experience you want and whether you have an existing investment in a particular platform. Not too different than buying a camera!

Greg Eddinger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,109
Like?
In reply to Undah, Nov 14, 2012

Undah wrote:

I'm considering switching from a lifelong history of PC use to a macbook pro with Retina Display.

I'm not a mac user and don't know anything about them. I do a lot of photography related activities (photoshop, etc.) Some video slideshows, and web surfing (firefox).

only with I knew sooner

-- hide signature --

Gregory Eddinger
Those that believe they can, CAN, because they BELIEVE!

graybalanced
Like?
In reply to fucile, Nov 15, 2012

fucile wrote:

When it becomes virtually impossible to change the battery on your laptop, then you really are committed to a two to three year machine. That really sucks. I'll wait to see what you think of your Air in two or three years.

This is incorrect because the time horizon is being assumed using outdated data. Most laptop batteries, including older Mac batteries, were roughly 350-cycle batteries. They did die after 2-4 years.

But the unibody built-in batteries are rated for 1000 cycles, almost 3x a typical battery. Apple got rid of the thickness of the removable battery bay and safety enclosure in part so that they could make room for more cells and get to 1000 cycles.

1000 cycles means it will not be dead after the 3-4 years of a 350-cycle battery, but 3x that. This makes ALL the difference. It means that most of these 1000 cycle batteries will still hold a reasonable amount of charge well before the user freely chooses to upgrade to a newer machine, since the battery should still be doing well after 5 years.

I was a bit skeptical myself, but my own battery has now been through 114 cycles, which is about of the third of the way through to the death of a typical laptop battery.

But after 114 cycles, my battery health is reading at 98%. I'm impressed.

- -

Oh, there is one more thing. The first MacBook Airs were released in January 2008. If you were correct, we should now be hearing reports of mass battery deaths. If you were correct. But I think we're hearing...crickets.

fucile
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Nov 15, 2012

graybalanced wrote:

fucile wrote:

This is incorrect because the time horizon is being assumed using outdated data. Most laptop batteries, including older Mac batteries, were roughly 350-cycle batteries. They did die after 2-4 years.

But the unibody built-in batteries are rated for 1000 cycles, almost 3x a typical battery. Apple got rid of the thickness of the removable battery bay and safety enclosure in part so that they could make room for more cells and get to 1000 cycles.

1000 cycles means it will not be dead after the 3-4 years of a 350-cycle battery, but 3x that. This makes ALL the difference. It means that most of these 1000 cycle batteries will still hold a reasonable amount of charge well before the user freely chooses to upgrade to a newer machine, since the battery should still be doing well after 5 years.

I was a bit skeptical myself, but my own battery has now been through 114 cycles, which is about of the third of the way through to the death of a typical laptop battery.

- -

Oh, there is one more thing. The first MacBook Airs were released in January 2008. If you were correct, we should now be hearing reports of mass battery deaths. If you were correct. But I think we're hearing...crickets.

If you charge your laptop EVERY DAY (and I do) then a 1000 cycle battery will last less than three years. Do the math...

fucile's gear list:fucile's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
fucile
Like?
In reply to danijel973, Nov 15, 2012

danijel973 wrote:

fucile wrote:

Well, I use it for year and a half now, if I remember correctly, and the battery diagnostics report 1.8 years of battery age, 185 cycles and 91.3% capacity relative to new, which is not that bad at all. And when the battery falls below acceptable levels I'll just order a new one, either from ebay (together with a torx screwdriver) or from the local Apple store which will replace it for me when it arrives. It's not such a hugely different deal from what I would have with any other laptop, except that elsewhere I wouldn't have to see the laptop's guts just to change the battery. But I'm not the type who would carry a spare with me anyway so this is not a problem. The glued-in battery in the retinabook, however, is a problem for me since I have no idea on how they plan to actually change it. They probably change the touchpad as well, which sounds suspiciously like the admission of the touchpad's useful life not being longer than the battery's.

I admit I am concerned by the low repairability of Apple's computers because I am used to performing my own repairs and upgrades and don't like being dependent on anyone.

And 2 out of three Macs that I have had to have the HDD replaced because it FAILED within two years of purchase (not for FUN reasons at all).

Shock or overheating?

I wish I knew. They just died with very little warning. I know that Apple had recalls of certain hard disks, but my serial numbers didn't fall in the range.

It's also quite annoying that most all of the reliability issues with Apple computers are resolved via class action lawsuits because Apple is so reluctant to admit there is anything actually wrong.

Yes, their public image is that "nothing ever goes wrong with a mac", which is just incredible knowing they put the generic off-the-shelf components into their machines. How a WD or Seagate HDD would be more reliable in a Mac than in a Lenovo or a HP, I have no idea.

There are recalls, lawsuits & judgments on many Apple computer components. HDD's, Video Cards, the magsafe connectors, and so on. How they manage to maintain this "nothing ever goes wrong" aura is beyond me.

Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,163Gear list
Like?

fucile wrote:

graybalanced wrote:

fucile wrote:

- -

If you charge your laptop EVERY DAY (and I do) then a 1000 cycle battery will last less than three years. Do the math...

I did the math. If you're discharging and then charging 50% of the battery capacity every day, a 1000-cycle battery should last you over 5 years. That's because a cycle refers to full discharge and full charge, not just topping off. AND, that's not 5 years until it dies, it's 5 years until it retains only 80% of its original maximum capacity. I don't know about you, but 80% of a 7-hour battery is still plenty usable to me.

Do you really run your battery all the way down and then fully recharge it every day?

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
Nikko aus London
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?

And 2 out of three Macs that I have had to have the HDD replaced because it FAILED within two years of purchase (not for FUN reasons at all). It's also quite annoying that most all of the reliability issues with Apple computers are resolved via class action lawsuits because Apple is so reluctant to admit there is anything actually wrong.

I would not even consider putting spinning media in any new Mac when SSD is so cheap and, by comparison, completely reliable.  But the main reason that I've retrofitted SSD into my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro is the massive performance boost it provides.  So I end up using SSD for the system disk on each machine and a 1Tb RAID array for secure storage of photos & music.

Nikko

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
PC by day, Mac by night.
In reply to Undah, Nov 16, 2012

Other then our pc server I would never go back to pc for home use.

I will never be as proficient on a Mac as I am with a pc but I would never go back.  Mac more intuitive; less calls to my computer guy.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
graybalanced
Like?
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Nov 16, 2012

Majikthize wrote:

fucile wrote:

I did the math. If you're discharging and then charging 50% of the battery capacity every day, a 1000-cycle battery should last you over 5 years. That's because a cycle refers to full discharge and full charge, not just topping off. AND, that's not 5 years until it dies, it's 5 years until it retains only 80% of its original maximum capacity. I don't know about you, but 80% of a 7-hour battery is still plenty usable to me.

Do you really run your battery all the way down and then fully recharge it every day?

Absolutely right. fucile did not respond to why my Mac maintains 98% battery health after over 100 cycles, or why the 2008-2009 MacBook Airs do [b]not[/b] have any kind of reputation for mass death of non-replaceable batteries since by his own math they are all due or overdue.

What might be true about his situation is that if he does do a complete discharge/recharge cycle every single day or close to it, that is known to be a killer condition for lithium-ion batteries (they prefer a shallow cycle), so if that's how his job requires him to use his battery he has no choice but to live with significantly shorter than average battery life, which would be unfortunate. But still unrepresentative of most users.

Tizzio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,973
Like?
Adobe support....
In reply to Undah, Nov 16, 2012

Undah wrote:

Im interested to know whether retina is supported by CS6 and LR4....

Thanks in advance.

graybalanced
Like?
Re: Adobe support....
In reply to Tizzio, Nov 17, 2012

Tizzio wrote:

Im interested to know whether retina is supported by CS6 and LR4....

There is a public beta of LR4 out now that supports Retina in Develop.

As for the other apps, this link is the best info anyone outside Adobe has right now:

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/new-macbook-pro-retina-display-support/

kbel
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
In reply to Undah, Nov 17, 2012

if i would be you i would stay with pc, I switched to mac some years ago and was my personal choice and I like to work with mac but on the other hand is very exprensive and also you have less choice.

apole changed a lot and today they are more interested in selling iphones and ipads than to be a partner of professionals like photographers or graphic designers, for instance the new macbook pro with retina display even not have a ethernet connection so how they think companies can connect to a network

and aso the imacs only are with glossy screens that is a no go for editing photos

with pc you have much more choice for less money and the new windows is as good as the os i think and photoshop and lightroom is no difference to work on mac or pc

-- hide signature --
fucile
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Nov 17, 2012

graybalanced wrote:

Majikthize wrote:

fucile wrote:

I did the math. If you're discharging and then charging 50% of the battery capacity every day, a 1000-cycle battery should last you over 5 years. That's because a cycle refers to full discharge and full charge, not just topping off. AND, that's not 5 years until it dies, it's 5 years until it retains only 80% of its original maximum capacity. I don't know about you, but 80% of a 7-hour battery is still plenty usable to me.

Do you really run your battery all the way down and then fully recharge it every day?

What might be true about his situation is that if he does do a complete discharge/recharge cycle every single day or close to it, that is known to be a killer condition for lithium-ion batteries (they prefer a shallow cycle), so if that's how his job requires him to use his battery he has no choice but to live with significantly shorter than average battery life, which would be unfortunate. But still unrepresentative of most users.

Bingo !!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads