Misha Pedan
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
Of course, the dog is an important element of the composition. Izmir 06.11.2012
Nov 8, 2012
trickcyclist
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course, the dog is an important element of the composition. Izmir 06.11.2012
In reply to Misha Pedan, Nov 8, 2012

Of course, the dog is an important element of the composition

Which one?

-- hide signature --

I don't have a signature

trickcyclist's gear list:trickcyclist's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Banana Chips™
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course, the dog is an important element of the composition. Izmir 06.11.2012
In reply to trickcyclist, Nov 8, 2012

trickcyclist wrote:

Which one?

i think the "dog" the OP is referring to is the whole image.

Banana Chips™'s gear list:Banana Chips™'s gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Nikon D600 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,611
Like?

Hi Misha, good to see you posting again.

Leo33
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851Gear list
Like?
Misha

Nice dog, indeed! IMHO, a bit closer would have been nicer. :)))

Cheers,

Leo33(Emil)

Leo33's gear list:Leo33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm XF1
trickcyclist
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to Banana Chips™, Nov 8, 2012

Banana Chips™ wrote:

trickcyclist wrote:

Which one?

I think that's overly harsh. I don't fully understand Misha's images. I'm not sure all of them work. However, he does have a significant portfolio, and there's something about this one that draws me in. The idea of a live dog by a human statue, for a start.

I would dispute Misha's assertion that his work should only be examined visually. After all, he supplies captions for his images which lack an immediately obvious meaning too, so there is a verbal element.

Hence my attempt to engage him in conversation with humour. After all, he's a Russian living in Sweden and (after England, clearly) those countries probably have two of the most highly developed cultures of humour and irony on the planet.

-- hide signature --

I don't have a signature

trickcyclist's gear list:trickcyclist's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
BSweeney
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?

Agreed- the Black Dog, posed equivalently to the white statue behind it, reversed from the statue- a "lighter" element to the image. I believe the term "easter egg" applies to such features in a movie or image.

One question: the list of top posters for this forum is included in your post. Is that intentional, or is it a error in the forum software? The site has suffered multiple "glitches" in the last few weeks.

BSweeney's gear list:BSweeney's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Leica M9 Olympus PEN E-P2 +5 more
Daedalus2000
Like?

trickcyclist wrote:

Banana Chips™ wrote:

trickcyclist wrote:

Which one?

I think that's overly harsh. I don't fully understand Misha's images. I'm not sure all of them work. However, he does have a significant portfolio, and there's something about this one that draws me in. The idea of a live dog by a human statue, for a start.

I would dispute Misha's assertion that his work should only be examined visually. After all, he supplies captions for his images which lack an immediately obvious meaning too, so there is a verbal element.

Hence my attempt to engage him in conversation with humour. After all, he's a Russian living in Sweden and (after England, clearly) those countries probably have two of the most highly developed cultures of humour and irony on the planet.

-- hide signature --

I don't have a signature

Very good comment.

Banana Chips™
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?

trickcyclist wrote:

Banana Chips™ wrote:

trickcyclist wrote:

Which one?

I think that's overly harsh. I don't fully understand Misha's images. I'm not sure all of them work.

I'm not.  Look, if you see how he responds to other posters who don't like his work.

I'm not going to sugarcoat my opinion around such individuals.

Banana Chips™'s gear list:Banana Chips™'s gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Nikon D600 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
BSweeney
Like?
In reply to Misha Pedan, Nov 9, 2012

Misha Pedan wrote:

-- hide signature --

pedan.info

What is the point of including the names of the top posters of this forum in an image thread? Is this a problem with the forum software, or are you confused about how to make a post?

Daedalus2000
Like?
In reply to BSweeney, Nov 9, 2012

BSweeney wrote:

Misha Pedan wrote:

-- hide signature --

pedan.info

What is the point of including the names of the top posters of this forum in an image thread? Is this a problem with the forum software, or are you confused about how to make a post?

I think he plays a word game... We compose a pic, but also a message. So the names are part of the composition...

BSweeney
Like?
In reply to Daedalus2000, Nov 9, 2012

World-War I Symmetry.

I see, then it is an invitation for other members in the list to post to the thread.

The man looking at the aircraft is for asymmetry.

Hand-held, no cropping, no powerpoint- except to resize image. No bubble-level. The Museum does not allow tripods.

tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,899
Like?

Interesting ..... super fine composition.  The dog is, of course, critical in the composition since it provides a distinct stopping point for the eye.  The live animal and dead statue work together.

-- hide signature --
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,638
Like?

I like this, Misha, but it needs to be quite a lot larger to express properly, IMO.

-- hide signature --
SphericalAberration
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Nov 9, 2012

I'm getting convinced Misha's aim with these compositions is to deliberately create images that are visually uncomfortable.

Here we have a white figure deliberately placed near the edge of the frame looking out of the frame : classically and aesthetically this figure should be placed looking into the right two thirds of the frame or the frame draw out more to the left.

Highlighting in the title the insignificant dog is to draw the viewer not to the dog, but to the rule breaking element - otherwise they will continue to scan looking for the the reason behind the image.

In most forums there would be no comment or someone would throw in a supportive 'like' to encourage the novice not to give up. To break this false politeness, it has to be creatively bad; which takes skill.

SphericalAberration's gear list:SphericalAberration's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica M9 Leica M9-P Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,638
Like?
In reply to SphericalAberration, Nov 9, 2012

Your comment, Spher..A, is threaded as a response to mine. I hope that was unintentional as I cannot divine how it is related otherwise.

-- hide signature --
SphericalAberration
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?

Godfrey wrote:

Your comment, Spher..A, is threaded as a response to mine. I hope that was unintentional ...

Godfrey, the response was intended to be to the thread in general - your post  just happened to be the last in time. I was looking at the flat view

SphericalAberration's gear list:SphericalAberration's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica M9 Leica M9-P Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Artichoke
Forum ProPosts: 11,854Gear list
Like?
I agree, Godfrey

Godfrey wrote:

I like this, Misha, but it needs to be quite a lot larger to express properly, IMO.

this is my favorite of Misha's offerings to this forum because of its strong composition and delightfully complex geomtrics

the dog is a sweet addition

much is lost when higher resolution captures are reduced for the web & this one suffers in particular being reduced so greatly in size

there must be some recondite reason for Misha's inclusion of the most frequent posters list

Misha relishes being obtuse

-- hide signature --

pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
my PBase Galleries
"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +10 more
BSweeney
Like?
In reply to SphericalAberration, Nov 9, 2012

SphericalAberration wrote:

I'm getting convinced Misha's aim with these compositions is to deliberately create images that are visually uncomfortable.

As forum members listed in the original post have been invited to post images to this thread, this lens was created to provide "visually incorrect" images. They are perhaps the opposite in compositon to Mr. Pedan's style. It is "spherical aberration" unbound. Using a Visible+infrared camera.

DavidGBK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062
Like?
Petty
In reply to BSweeney, Nov 9, 2012
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads