How do you turn off Windows 8 auto-rotation of thumbnail view?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Questions
TangoMan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168
Like?
How do you turn off Windows 8 auto-rotation of thumbnail view?
Nov 8, 2012

Hi everyone,
I've just got a new laptop with windows 8 installed and I kind of like it (now that I have learned all the keyboard shortcuts that are needed to be productive with the mostly invisible interface...)
My question is "how do you turn off thumbnail autorotation?" I use my favorite software to view, sort and rotate the pictures, but annoyingly, once a picture is rotated, windows 8 insist on rotating it even more in the windows explorer. So my portrait rotated images, probably still having "the flag", are displayed as landscape again... (they are really portrait now, but the explorer or file selector, uploader, etc display them as landscape)
Anyone knows how to make windows ignore the "rotate" flag?

ANSWER:
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,222
Like?
Re: How do you turn off Windows 8 auto-rotation of thumbnail view?
In reply to TangoMan, Nov 8, 2012

I would install Irfanview and stop using Microsoft image-viewing software. Irfanview runs fine on Windows 8 (according to their website) and has a thumbnail view when you want it.

One thing I hate about Microsoft image viewer (whatever it's called on various releases) is that it rewrites files on your SD card! That is very destructive and caused me to lose pictures, because the camera could not deal with the SD card after rewriting.

Irfanview does not do that, unless you run lossless JPEG rotate (or similar lossless operations) that work directly on the JPEG.

TangoMan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I've just got a new laptop with windows 8 installed and I kind of like it (now that I have learned all the keyboard shortcuts that are needed to be productive with the mostly invisible interface...)
My question is "how do you turn off thumbnail autorotation?" I use my favorite software to view, sort and rotate the pictures, but annoyingly, once a picture is rotated, windows 8 insist on rotating it even more in the windows explorer. So my portrait rotated images, probably still having "the flag", are displayed as landscape again... (they are really portrait now, but the explorer or file selector, uploader, etc display them as landscape)
Anyone knows how to make windows ignore the "rotate" flag?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237Gear list
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, Nov 8, 2012

I tried to like Windows 8 on my desktop computer after installing the Start 8 button but when importing photos from my camera I just hated the new system. I have the option in Windows 7 to delete photos on my SD card once files are imported not in Windows 8, also Adobe CS6 was unstable.

This morning I reverted back to Windows 7 now things work as I like again, I think Windows 8 will be a flop like Vista.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
TangoMan
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, Nov 9, 2012

Well, thanks for trying a guess, but the truth is I use ACDSee, not the MS viewer, and the problem is that once ACDSee has rotated the full picture, Windows 8 insist to show it to me re-rotated. It doesn't rotate it, it just rotates the view that I get of it. So when my portrait pictures are straightened up by ACDSee, Windows don't care and just show them to me as if they were now meant to be seen in landscape mode. That's very annoying at all times, but especially when you try to select, from the thumbnail view, a picture to upload.

The first thing I do when I offload my pictures to the computer is have the software losslessly autorotate them. So, I don't want my properly oriented pictures to be shown to me sideways.

CAcreeks wrote:

I would install Irfanview and stop using Microsoft image-viewing software.

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,993
Like?
In reply to TangoMan, Nov 9, 2012

TangoMan wrote:

Well, thanks for trying a guess, but the truth is I use ACDSee, not the MS viewer, and the problem is that once ACDSee has rotated the full picture, Windows 8 insist to show it to me re-rotated. It doesn't rotate it, it just rotates the view that I get of it.

When you are rotating the photos in ACDSee it should also be updating the exif data. I think it's not doing that sense Win8 is rotating the thumbnails again. Maybe there is a setting in ACDSee to apply the change to the exif data than hasn't been enabled?

Thank you
Russell

CAcreeks
Like?

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Are you talking auto rotation as in this video? I would think you'd want the thumbnails to rotate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnFxRDuBz4

TangoMan wrote:

Well, thanks for trying a guess, but the truth is I use ACDSee, not the MS viewer, and the problem is that once ACDSee has rotated the full picture, Windows 8 insist to show it to me re-rotated. It doesn't rotate it, it just rotates the view that I get of it. So when my portrait pictures are straightened up by ACDSee, Windows don't care and just show them to me as if they were now meant to be seen in landscape mode. That's very annoying at all times, but especially when you try to select, from the thumbnail view, a picture to upload.

The first thing I do when I offload my pictures to the computer is have the software losslessly autorotate them. So, I don't want my properly oriented pictures to be shown to me sideways.

CAcreeks wrote:

I would install Irfanview and stop using Microsoft image-viewing software.

TangoMan
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, Nov 9, 2012

CAcreeks wrote:

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Are you talking auto rotation as in this video? I would think you'd want the thumbnails to rotate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnFxRDuBz4

No, I am talking about a desktop monitor and showing a double-rotated view of my photos in the windows explorer.

TangoMan
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Nov 9, 2012

Russell Evans wrote:

TangoMan wrote:

Well, thanks for trying a guess, but the truth is I use ACDSee, not the MS viewer, and the problem is that once ACDSee has rotated the full picture, Windows 8 insist to show it to me re-rotated. It doesn't rotate it, it just rotates the view that I get of it.

When you are rotating the photos in ACDSee it should also be updating the exif data. I think it's not doing that sense Win8 is rotating the thumbnails again. Maybe there is a setting in ACDSee to apply the change to the exif data than hasn't been enabled?

Thank you
Russell

Well my version is pretty old (and wicked fast), so it could be the problem, except that my version of photoshop autorotates the pictures that haven't been rotated by ACDSee and not the ones that have been. So ACDSee is definitely doing something to the file to say "already rotated". Windows should either pick that sign up or allow me to tell it to leave the photo rotation alone.

TangoMan
Like?
In reply to rpps, Nov 9, 2012

Hey,

hang on there! Window 8 takes a lot of getting used to, but once you learn a few hidden tricks, there is a lot to like about it!

Here, to get you started

Windows key: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last accessed application
Windows key + C: Access the charms bar
Windows key + Tab: Access the Modern Desktop Taskbar
Windows key + I: Access the Settings charm
Windows key + H: Access the Share charm
Windows key + K: Access the Devices charm
Windows key + Q: Access the Apps Search screen
Windows key + F: Access the Files Search screen
Windows key + W: Access the Settings Search screen
Windows key + P: Access the Second Screen bar
Windows key + Z: Brings up the App Bar when you have a Modern Desktop App running
Windows key + X: Access the Windows Tools Menu
Windows key + O: Lock screen orientation
Windows key + . : Move the screen split to the right
Windows key + Shift + . : Move the screen split to the left
Windows key + V: View all active Toasts/Notifications
Windows key + Shift + V: View all active Toasts/Notifications in reverse order
Windows key + PrtScn: Takes a screenshot of the screen and automatically saves it in the Pictures folder as Screenshot
Windows key + Enter: Launch Narrator        
Windows key + E: Open Computer
Windows key + R: Open the Run dialog box
Windows key + U: Open Ease of Access Center
Windows key + Ctrl + F: Open Find Computers dialog box
Windows key + Pause/Break: Open the System page
Windows key + 1..10: Launch a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Shift + 1..10: Launch a new instance of a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Ctrl + 1..10: Access the last active instance of a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Alt + 1..10: Access the Jump List of a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + B: Select the first item in the Notification Area and then use the arrow keys to cycle through the items Press Enter to open the selected item
Windows key + Ctrl + B: Access the program that is displaying a message in the Notification Area
Windows key + T: Cycle through the items on the Taskbar
Windows key + M: Minimize all windows
Windows key + Shift + M: Restore all minimized windows
Windows key + D: Show/Hide Desktop (minimize/restore all windows)
Windows key + L: Lock computer
Windows key + Up Arrow: Maximize current window
Windows key + Down Arrow: Minimize/restore current window
Windows key + Home: Minimize all but the current window
Windows key + Left Arrow: Tile window on the left side of the screen
Windows key + Right Arrow: Tile window on the right side of the screen
Windows key + Shift + Up Arrow: Extend current window from the top to the bottom of the screen
Windows key + Shift + Left/Right Arrow: Move the current window from one monitor to the next
Windows key + F1: Launch Windows Help and Support

PageUp: Scroll forward on the Modern Desktop Start screen
PageDown: Scroll backward on the Modern Desktop Start screen
Esc: Close  a charm
Ctrl + Esc: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last accessed application
Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel: Activate the Semantic Zoom on the Modern Desktop screen

Alt: Display a hidden Menu Bar
Alt + D: Select the Address Bar
Alt + P: Display the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer
Alt + Tab: Cycle forward through open windows
Alt + Shift + Tab: Cycle backward through open windows
Alt + F: Close the current window Open the Shut Down Windows dialog box from the Desktop
Alt + Spacebar: Access the Shortcut menu for current window
Alt + Esc: Cycle between open programs in the order that they were opened
Alt + Enter: Open the Properties dialog box of the selected item
Alt + PrtScn: Take a screen shot of the active Window and place it in the clipboard
Alt + Up Arrow: Move up one folder level in Windows Explorer (Like the Up Arrow in XP)
Alt + Left Arrow: Display the previous folder
Alt + Right Arrow: Display the next folder
Shift + Insert: CD/DVD Load CD/DVD without triggering Autoplay or Autorun
Shift + Delete: Permanently delete the item (rather than sending it to the Recycle Bin)
Shift + F6: Cycle backward through elements in a window or dialog box
Shift + F10: Access the context menu for the selected item
Shift + Tab: Cycle backward through elements in a window or dialog box
Shift + Click: Select a consecutive group of items
Shift + Click on a Taskbar button: Launch a new instance of a program
Shift + Right-click on a Taskbar button: Access the context menu for the selected item
Ctrl + A: Select all items
Ctrl + C: Copy the selected item
Ctrl + X: Cut the selected item
Ctrl + V: Paste the selected item
Ctrl + D: Delete selected item
Ctrl + Z: Undo an action
Ctrl + Y: Redo an action
Ctrl + N: Open a new window in Windows Explorer
Ctrl + W: Close current window in Windows Explorer
Ctrl + E: Select the Search box in the upper right corner of a window
Ctrl + Shift + N: Create new folder
Ctrl + Shift + Esc: Open the Windows Task Manager
Ctrl + Alt + Tab: Use arrow keys to cycle through open windows
Ctrl + Alt + Delete: Access the Windows Security screen 
Ctrl + Click: Select multiple individual items
Ctrl + Click and drag an item: Copies that item in the same folder
Ctrl + Shift + Click and drag an item: Creates a shortcut for that item in the same folder
Ctrl + Tab:  Move forward through tabs
Ctrl + Shift + Tab: Move backward through tabs
Ctrl + Shift + Click on a Taskbar button: Launch a new instance of a program as an Administrator
Ctrl + Click on a grouped Taskbar button: Cycle through the instances of a program in the group
F1: Display Help
F2: Rename a file
F3: Open Search
F4: Display the Address Bar list
F5: Refresh display
F6: Cycle forward through elements in a window or dialog box
F7: Display command history in a Command Prompt
F10: Display hidden Menu Bar
F11: Toggle full screen display
Tab: Cycle forward through elements in a window or dialog box
PrtScn: Take a screen shot of the entire screen and place it in the clipboard
Home: Move to the top of the active window
End: Move to the bottom of the active window
Delete: Delete the selected item
Backspace: Display the previous folder in Windows Explorer  Move up one folder level in Open or Save dialog box
Esc: Close a dialog box
Num Lock Enabled + Plus (+): Display the contents of the selected folder 
Num Lock Enabled + Minus (-): Collapse the selected folder
Num Lock Enabled + Asterisk (*): Expand all subfolders under the selected folder

Press Shift 5 times Turn StickyKeys on or off
Hold down right Shift for 8 seconds Turn FilterKeys on or off
Hold down Num Lock for 5 seconds Turn ToggleKeys on or off

Memorize them and you should be fine!

TangoMan
Like?
Mystery case...

Ok, I will never know what happened, but today I can't reproduce the problem.

My first batch of rotated pictures still displays wrongly in windows explorer, but the last one, with apparently everything the same don't have any problem. And various attemps to reproduce the problem with different settings, size, raw, rotated after download or still on card, etc could not fault windows.

Soooooo, case closed. And I still wonder what happened yesterday...

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Excalibur212
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to TangoMan, Dec 13, 2012

Hello, can someone please actually ANSWER the original question asked? I just installed Windows 8 and would like to know the same thing. Please do NOT reply about installing other software, how Windows sucks, etc etc. or some other off-topic non-response. The question is how to disable Windows 8 from DISPLAYING the image rotated on your screen/OS, even when the actual image itself has NOT been rotated. Also this has absolutely nothing to do with auto-rotation of your *desktop* or any physical moving of a tablet or screen vertically or horizontally (ignore the original 1st reply to this thread and youtube link; this person did not understand the question). It is a simple thumbnail display question, when you are looking at files in Large or Small icon view in Explorer... Again, please no responses saying to install other software or about using different programs/apps to view images...that is not the question and not appreciated.

gscotten
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
In reply to TangoMan, Dec 13, 2012

TangoMan wrote:

Windows key: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last accessed application

What if your keyboard doesn't have a "Windows" key for all these things?

-- hide signature --

George

CAcreeks
Like?
In reply to Excalibur212, Dec 14, 2012

Excalibur212 wrote:

Hello, can someone please actually ANSWER the original question asked?

Probably not. We are too busy arguing about Windows 8 to actually use it. In this case, a nice Zen haiku applies:

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

Gnardenia
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, 8 months ago

Regardless of computer hardware manufacturer, it seems this is a Windows 8 issue. I'm having the same problem and did a fair amount of googling to find a select few very frustrated people. The best work-around I've found, one that doesn't require installing new software or ditching Windows 8, is in a post here:

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/12304-windows-8-not-saving-autorotate-images-gallery-viewer-apps.html

In a nutshell, User Chinatree says:

- Open the photo in Windows Photo Viewer

- Rotate it

- Go to the next or previous photo

- Go back and re-rotate it to the correct orientation

And I'll be damned if it didn't work for me, at least on the sample photo I used.  It's awkward as all get out and not one I'm keen to use for all of the photos I upload to my website, but it will work for now.  I hope it helps someone else until a better solution comes along.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads