X-S1 giving my DSLR a run for the money

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
X-S1 giving my DSLR a run for the money
Nov 8, 2012

This is what I was hoping for with the purchase of my X-S1.

My wife and I were shooting together yesterday at a Gray Squirrel cleaning up under the bird feeders. I was shooting the X-S1 while she had our Pentax K-5 with DA* 60-250 lens. I've been waiting for the opportunity to compare the two rigs - the $600 Bridge camera vs. the $2200 DSLR setup. I must say that I am quite impressed with the Fuji - I think it gave the DSLR a run for its money with these shots.

First image is the X-S1 - second is the K-5 w/DA*60-250

Fujifilm X-S1

K-5 w/DA*60-250

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

coaltrain's gear list:coaltrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Fujifilm X-S1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
var1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 giving my DSLR a run for the money
In reply to coaltrain, Nov 8, 2012

Nice images, printed up and viewed at normal distance, who could tell the difference.

Pick my Fuji XS-1 up tomorrow, looking forward to it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ron
Salamander Bay, Australia

var1's gear list:var1's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to var1, Nov 8, 2012

var1 wrote:

Nice images, printed up and viewed at normal distance, who could tell the difference.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ron

At higher ISO's, the differences will become clear fast.  Today's DSLR's shoot at ISO6400 without much problem.  The X-S1 will turn to mush at that setting.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Nov 8, 2012

rattymouse wrote:

var1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ron

At higher ISO's, the differences will become clear fast. Today's DSLR's shoot at ISO6400 without much problem. The X-S1 will turn to mush at that setting.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

I ask myself this question: what percentage of images an amateur photographer makes that need iso 6400?

Peter

coaltrain
Like?
In reply to Peter71951, Nov 8, 2012

Peter71951 wrote

I ask myself this question: what percentage of images an amateur photographer makes that need iso 6400?

Peter

Kind of my point I guess. For a difference of $1600 between these 2 kits, with the Fuji having twice the focal length (375mm equivalent vs. 624mm equivalent), if you can shoot at a decently low ISO, I am very impressed with the Fuji. I don't expect the fuji to replace my DSLR since I do a lot of lower light wildlife shooting, but with a little extra thought and care (tripod etc.) the X-S1 could in fact replace my DSLR for my requirements.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,556Gear list
Like?
not really ...

coaltrain wrote:

This is what I was hoping for with the purchase of my X-S1.

Squirrels?

My wife and I were shooting together yesterday at a Gray Squirrel cleaning up under the bird feeders. I was shooting the X-S1 while she had our Pentax K-5 with DA* 60-250 lens. I've been waiting for the opportunity to compare the two rigs - the $600 Bridge camera vs. the $2200 DSLR setup. I must say that I am quite impressed with the Fuji - I think it gave the DSLR a run for its money with these shots.

Well, her composition is far better. You managed to cut the squirrel in half with the background. You did not capture the ambient light in the background as the Pentax so clearly did. You managed to get the eye in shadow while the Pentax shot has the face fully lit and thus much more pleasant to look at. The platform is far too light in your image when compared with the Pentax image. And the Pentax tones are much richer while yours look washed out.

All in all the Pentax (or your wife) crushed the X-S1 (or you) ...

The point here is that comparisons like this are about the photographer, not the technology ... I think you can see who I think won this battle ...

Fujifilm X-S1

K-5 w/DA*60-250

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,211
Like?
Re: not really ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Nov 8, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

The point here is that comparisons like this are about the photographer, not the technology ... I think you can see who I think won this battle ...

Fujifilm X-S1

K-5 w/DA*60-250

Shooting squirrels whilst they're eating is always hit and miss there head never stops moving. All in all I think the X-S1 has done a great job compared to the Pentax.

Paul.

coaltrain
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Well, her composition is far better. You managed to cut the squirrel in half with the background. You did not capture the ambient light in the background as the Pentax so clearly did. You managed to get the eye in shadow while the Pentax shot has the face fully lit and thus much more pleasant to look at. The platform is far too light in your image when compared with the Pentax image. And the Pentax tones are much richer while yours look washed out.

I appreciate your comments Kim. Just to explain a little farther - I had to crop the Pentax image quite a bit in order to get the size comparison fairly equal. That is why the overall composition is better in the Pentax image. And yes, the Fuji shot has cut off a lot of the squirrel but it was moving so fast it was just about impossible to get a nice composition.

The eye shadow is merely a case of how the squirrel was facing the light at the time of each capture.

The background and ambient light is different as we were shotting from different levels (angles).

I will agree that the overall tone of the Pentax image wins - not surprising with APS-C vs the small Fuji sensor.

My only objective with posting these examples was to notice the image quality of the finer details where I feel the X-S1 did very well.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,288
Like?

the xs1 did well, one major issue is that unless one looks at the original the 'new and updated' DPR' images all look like they need serious help, another thing is that the XS1 is a bit more of a challenge to lock focus, maintain a fast enough SS and keep the iso low enough for good detail.

the XS1 is a very 'freeing' camera...one just needs to accept the limitations and then enjoy.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?

Great detail from XS1! I'm impressed indeed.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,556Gear list
Like?

coaltrain wrote:

My only objective with posting these examples was to notice the image quality of the finer details where I feel the X-S1 did very well.

I completely agree. It looks good. I have posted a number of images of my great-niece shot this summer that I think were handled well by the X-S1.

My issue with the Pentax comparison is simply that the larger sensor image allows for cropping, and that allows for better compositions, and that really showed here. The X-S1 is very difficult to bring to bear reliably on fast moving targets ... that is a bridge cam thing in general and especially a Fuji thing.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Michael Melb AU
Contributing MemberPosts: 935
Like?

That is one of the principal points that make bridgecams in general and X-S1 in particular so attractive for Internet quality photography - their long zoom. No need for heavy crop anymore. And  with 12Mp sensor some post-shot framing goes not have devastating effect either. However,  even with cropping, Pentax image makes clearer impression - maybe because of less heavy noise canceling.

coaltrain
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

My issue with the Pentax comparison is simply that the larger sensor image allows for cropping, and that allows for better compositions, and that really showed here. The X-S1 is very difficult to bring to bear reliably on fast moving targets ... that is a bridge cam thing in general and especially a Fuji thing.

I totally agree with all you've said. While we were shooting the squirrel, he was moving very quickly. I actually had to pre-focus where I thought he would hesitate next to get a focused shot with the Fuji. All the while my wife was just snapping away with the Pentax.

I won't be giving up my Pentax gear anytime soon, but I am happy enough with the X-S1 that it will stay in the stable for a while. The longest lens I have for the Pentax is the FA* 300 4.5 which is an IQ king, but not really long enough for some of my work (450mm equivalent). When I bought the X-S1 I was hoping that it would help fill in for longer shots being 624mm equivalent. It will work for me for that intended use and for me much better than spending $4K on an auto-focus FA*400 lens.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,306
Like?

coaltrain wrote:

I won't be giving up my Pentax gear anytime soon, but I am happy enough with the X-S1 that it will stay in the stable for a while. The longest lens I have for the Pentax is the FA* 300 4.5 which is an IQ king, but not really long enough for some of my work (450mm equivalent). When I bought the X-S1 I was hoping that it would help fill in for longer shots being 624mm equivalent. It will work for me for that intended use and for me much better than spending $4K on an auto-focus FA*400 lens.

This is a big problem with DLSR, even partial-frame APS-C - long lenses are just too big, heavy, and (especially) expensive.

My long-range prediction is that the Nikon 1, or similar system, will eventually prevail for bird photography.

Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?

I have yet to see a good sample from the Fuji at the longer end. Your sample was shot at only 158mm. Also the K5 is weatherproof. Not to knock the Fuji but it doesn't really compare to the K5 in IQ and features but the S1 has it's place and I'm glad you're happy with it. I looked at getting one but wouldn't have been satisfied with the softness at the longer end which is what I wanted it for. Love my X10 but it only reaches to 112mm.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,288
Like?
In reply to Dabbler, Nov 8, 2012

Dabbler wrote:

I have yet to see a good sample from the Fuji at the longer end. Your sample was shot at only 158mm. Also the K5 is weatherproof. Not to knock the Fuji but it doesn't really compare to the K5 in IQ and features but the S1 has it's place and I'm glad you're happy with it. I looked at getting one but wouldn't have been satisfied with the softness at the longer end which is what I wanted it for. Love my X10 but it only reaches to 112mm.

-- hide signature --

Michael

158mm lens length = 624mm 35equiv

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

coaltrain
Like?
In reply to Dabbler, Nov 8, 2012

Dabbler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Michael

In addition to what was said in the above post, are you saying the Fuji sample I posted soft? Myself, I am particularly impressed by the lens being shot at its longest end and wide open........

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

Jerry Mucci
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Nov 9, 2012

Kim's retort was really off the mark - focusing on the results of shots of opportunity rather than the subject of discussion:  comparison of clarity between two cameras.  Photographic composition is not the subject of this thread - that seems rather obvious to me.

painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?
In reply to coaltrain, Nov 9, 2012

pretty impressive actually ..My buddy has the X-S1. He has sold off his D5100 and lenses for the Fuji and is very happy. I note Paul Till also sold off his DSLR stuff too for this camera.

In the end the X-S1 is a very capable camera ..capable of satisfying any casual shooter  who is not a pixel peer who does not print past 8X10.

all the best

g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to coaltrain, Nov 9, 2012

When we get into these discussions about XS-1 (or any other bridge camera) compared to DSLR's. I always think that it would indeed be a great leap for a smaller sensored, fixed lens camera to equal or surpass a larger sensor camera like a T4i or D5100, much less a pro DX camera.

On the other hand, there's always a guy out there who shows up with fabulous pics from a camera that shouldn't be able to produce those results.  No, I don't really believe that a S100 is capable of always equalling a 5D, but it does happen, and I think this is why:

Some of us live with these things long enough to really understand how they work and where they produce their best results and you can see the results all around this forum.  On the other hand, lots of guys buy and sell these things so fast for the Next Big Thing, that unless they are really technically fast on their feet, they never find out what this camera or that camera can really do.  Not that that's a bad thing:  They provide a steady market of 'barely used, like new' cameras on CraigsList for less money than new !

In my case, I take much better pictures with my X10 now than I did when I bought it in March.  I expect my XS-1 to follow that same learning curve.  They're both keepers for me.  I'd like a DSLR, but frankly, I stay confused as to whether I need an DX, an FX, a 4/3, a micro 4/3, and on and on.

And I'm sure these Fujis can take better pictures than I've yet discovered in them.

An XS-1 was really the only choice for me, as I wanted something substantial, a larger than normal sensor for a P+S, and way more focal length than the X10.  That the software prompts and the menus are very similar was an added attraction, it really is an X10 on steroids.  And it just suits me.

I tend to stay away from these discussions, as there's always going to be something better, faster, stronger, sharper  . . . . on the spec page.  But people take pictures, not cameras.  That these two fit me is the most important thing.

I suppose I see these comparisons and just think, 'well, the (. . . bigger, more expensive camera . . . ) was supposed to be better, what am I missing here . . . . '

It's about images, not which camera 'stomped' the other.  Otherwise, it's all pixel peeping in the Old West:  There's always going to be somebody faster, cowboy . . . .

All the Best,

JW

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads