EM-5, Lumix 20/1.7, ISO 3200, VSCO Ilford HP5 preset

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,889Gear list
Like?
EM-5, Lumix 20/1.7, ISO 3200, VSCO Ilford HP5 preset
Nov 8, 2012

Most I believer are ISO 3200 - auto ISO, anyway. A few from this evening's walk during the Nor'Easter. Not being one to just let an exposure be stamped w/o a personal touch, the VSCO preset was massaged a little (but I trust I kept the flavor of the film style, never having worked with film of this type, that is).

For ISO 200 studies, I tend to resort to Silver Efex for the mono finish. But for high ISO nigh stuff I find the VSCO presets rather interesting as well as less involved. Being there's so many VSCO presets, I've come to embrace the Ilford HP5 for some reason (it conveys the precise and imprecise rather well for my eye).

I'm pleased for these, having pretty much written off the 20/1.7 with the OM_D for the potential for banding. Though I've taken to the 40mm FOV as an innate FOV, I've always found it a little tight, and I'm looking forward to moving to a fast 17mm lens shortly. Blah, blah. . . etc.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Oldroadster
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Re: EM-5, Lumix 20/1.7, ISO 3200, VSCO Ilford HP5 preset
In reply to Bob Tullis, Nov 8, 2012

Very atmospheric Bob. They work really well in mono and viewing them I feel cold and wet. As a composition the last one is interesting to me on two levels. The lone dog walker running their dogs in the snow has a melancholic feel to me. And as a dog owner living in the UK our public parks don't have such facilities.

As an aside you explain what VSCO is short for. Is it software?

Thank you for sharing Bob and all the best to you and all others affected by the weather recently.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prime85
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?
In reply to Oldroadster, Nov 8, 2012

Great shots.  I also felt cold.  Well done!

flacko_man
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?

Very unpleasant - conditions. Great photos. B&W really suits.

flacko_man's gear list:flacko_man's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Zbynek Hromek
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
In reply to flacko_man, Nov 8, 2012

Very nice pictures.

Zbynek Hromek's gear list:Zbynek Hromek's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Bob Tullis
Like?

Oldroadster wrote:

Very atmospheric Bob. They work really well in mono and viewing them I feel cold and wet. As a composition the last one is interesting to me on two levels. The lone dog walker running their dogs in the snow has a melancholic feel to me. And as a dog owner living in the UK our public parks don't have such facilities.

As an aside you explain what VSCO is short for. Is it software?

I believe there are two more dog owners in the dog run there - but more to the point NYC has quite a few areas set aside as dog runs.     VSCO is the Visual Supply Company, they've created presets/filters to emulate a wide range of film styles for LR, ACR/PS, and Aperture (iirc).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,373Gear list
Like?

Very nice series.  Like 1, 3 and 4 best (subject matter related).  Not ready for this yet.  Still have to take the lawn deck off the tractor and install the blower and hoping the weather warms up in the next couple of days for me to do that.

Oldroadster
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?

Thank you for the information and sorry I did notice the other people but my inexperience at posting meant I had no idea how to edit my post.

Keep posting,

Ian.

Christian Grevstad
Regular MemberPosts: 209Gear list
Like?

1, 3, and 6 are fantastic. Love the atmosphere

Christian Grevstad's gear list:Christian Grevstad's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
americayall
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

Great shots, glad to see others embracing VSCO as well. Much like yourself I tend to stick with just a few of their presets (fuji 160c and kodak portra 160vc)!

Bill Wallace
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,227Gear list
Like?

Amazingly eerie feel to them Bob. You have definitely stamped these shots. Right now it's tough for you guys to get a break, I hope things turn in your favor soon. So much heartache....

Compelling shots...

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace
http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/
"Mister I ain't a boy no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land"....

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562
Like?

Bob,

Wonderful photos!!!

stefano888
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?

Great atmosphere Bob!!

I love 1,4,6.

I have to take a look at that VSCO software.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)
stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to stefano888, Nov 8, 2012

stefano888 wrote:

Great atmosphere Bob!!

I love 1,4,6.

I realize now that the 2nd shot is only interesting for what can't be seen, the Triborough and Hellsgate bridges in the distance . Likely of questionable merit even to those familiar with Carl Shurz park.

I have to take a look at that VSCO software.

A little pricey, I think it's most of interest to those that shot film for a period, but worth a peek for sure.   I may have picked it up from Americayall if it was he who mentioned it in the past several months.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Vittorio Fracassi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?

very good work Bob, the snow on dark background, the harshness of high ISO blended with the texture of the preset, all in tune.  Lovely.

Regards, Vittorio

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466Gear list
Like?

Bob Great shots. I like the first and last the best. The first one reminds me of an old b/w movie I looked for Jimmy Stewart and I think I heard a bell. ha

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +5 more
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466Gear list
Like?
In reply to TomWret, Nov 8, 2012

Bob does VSCO have a web site?

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

A little pricey, I think it's most of interest to those that shot film for a period, but worth a peek for sure. I may have picked it up from Americayall if it was he who mentioned it in the past several months.

Definitely correct about a little pricey - checked out their website. But agree it would be of interest for those who remember/used some of these film stocks. (Fond memories of Kodak Tri-X - and we complain about noise/grain. Now that was grainy in the higher speeds!!!)

Love the mood of the shots through the snow. Thanks for sharing them.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Nov 9, 2012

as a few have remarked already they made me feel cold (moreso since its hot right now in australia). great compositions and its odd how film grain can really add to a mood or feel. i wonder if it is innate or a nostalga thing. it works whatever. great stuff!

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, Nov 9, 2012

Steven Wandy wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

A little pricey, I think it's most of interest to those that shot film for a period, but worth a peek for sure. I may have picked it up from Americayall if it was he who mentioned it in the past several months.

Definitely correct about a little pricey - checked out their website. But agree it would be of interest for those who remember/used some of these film stocks. (Fond memories of Kodak Tri-X - and we complain about noise/grain. Now that was grainy in the higher speeds!!!)

They run discounts when they introduce a new set of presets; when Film 2 was introduced, you could get it for 1/2 price with a purchase of Film 1. That makes it slightly more bearable.

I like to look of many negative films, though I never shot with them much. Having used them for a while, there are a number of things I like about the presets:

• easy to get a consistent look across images, while still making shot-by-shot adjustments;
  • faster workflow: once I've selected a preset, most of my fiddling happens in the Basic panel in LR;
  • a more film-like rolloff to whites and blacks;
  • a choice between different pleasantly-inaccurate color palettes.

Something I've noticed since I began using them: the initial rendering of an image with which I start my processing has a big impact on the finished result; starting with different presets, I get to very different finished results. This made me realize how much influence I had been allowing to Adobe's defaults! Selecting very different presets at the outset makes it easier to produce different versions of an image (if I'm so inclined), which I can choose among later.

Here are three different treatments of the same captureā€¦

Kodak Portra 160NC +

Ilford HP5

Fuji Neopan 1600

None of these are the presets straight; they were all substantially adjusted after the initial preset was applied.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads