What to do with $250.

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions
alfredo_tomato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430Gear list
Like?
What to do with $250.
Nov 7, 2012

I use an Olympus EPL-1 and the only M4/3 lenses I have are the kit 14~42 and a Sigma 19 2.8. I have several legacy lenses - (28mm, two 50's, 135, big assed Canon zoom).

Two lenses in my budget are the Sigma 30mm and a Panny 14mm from the "bay."

You can look at my flickr account to see which you feel would better suit my style. Suggesting a Ball-Peen hammer or finding another hobby is not helpful but will be considered. 

In time I will update to the Oly EPL-5.

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 756
Like?
Re: What to do with $250.
In reply to alfredo_tomato, Nov 7, 2012

Third option, put that money towards the epl5. You have both those focal lengths covered and neither of those lenses are particularly fast.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,838Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pic Man, Nov 7, 2012

Find another $75 and a refurbed Oly 45mm comes into play.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Bangers and Mash
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
4th option
In reply to Pic Man, Nov 7, 2012

Pic Man wrote:

Third option, put that money towards the epl5. You have both those focal lengths covered and neither of those lenses are particularly fast.

Fourth option, you could pass it my way. Remember, there is more happiness in giving then there is in receiving.

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
Re: 4th option
In reply to Bangers and Mash, Nov 7, 2012

What kind of shooting do you do, or what do you want to be able to do better? There are actually plenty of suggestions for how to spend your money- a tripod, some filters, legacy lens, save up a little more for a lens that provides something new like the samyang 7.5 or olympus 45,  get a viewfinder, etc...

There are too MANY options for how to spend your money, certainly not too FEW. Tell us what you want to be able to do with your camera!

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
AndyPalf
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpm40, Nov 7, 2012

rpm40 wrote:

What kind of shooting do you do, or what do you want to be able to do better? There are actually plenty of suggestions for how to spend your money- a tripod, some filters, legacy lens, save up a little more for a lens that provides something new like the samyang 7.5 or olympus 45, get a viewfinder, etc...

There are too MANY options for how to spend your money, certainly not too FEW. Tell us what you want to be able to do with your camera!

I second this response.  A lot of people talk about "the kind of shooting they do", when it comes to buying new kit I prefer to think of the kind of shooting I want to do.

I have a similiar set up to you, an Oly E-PL2 with the kit zoom and the Pany 20mm.  Earlier in the year I spent about £75 from 2 ND filters and the various adaptor rings.  This has added long exposure shots to my fun.

I have the Oly 40-150 on my wish list for some sports photography that I do.  And I'm going to get a couple of legacy primes to do some portrait/concert photography on a budget.

I'd also recommend a tripod, blooming invaluable in my opinion.

AndyPalf's gear list:AndyPalf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Re: What to do with $250.:pancake

The 14mm will give you a pocketable system.

I use the 17mm pancake on my e-P1 and that is the ONLY camera/lens combination that goes everywhere with me.

Any other bigger lens just gives you another lens : no big deal since you have plenty covered with your manaul lenses.

alfredo_tomato
Like?
In reply to AndyPalf, Nov 7, 2012

I have a full stable of filters, a VF3, and a top line Dolica Proline with a DIY short stack for low aspect work.

I even thought of the Panny G3 body as a possible buy. The swivel lcd is a selling point.

Take a look at my flickr page to see what I do. My images are seasonally adjusted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredo_tomato/

Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
alfredo_tomato
Like?
Re: What to do with $250.:pancake
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Nov 7, 2012

I see little need for a pocketable camera. My only consideration is what it does in my hand.

MarcusBrody
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?

What focal lengths do you most often use on your zoom?  What makes you unhappy about using it?

I'm not unhappy with the quality of my (Panasonic) kit zoom at 14mm, so to me the major advantage of the 14mm prime would be pocketability, which you say you don't care about.  To me, that would make the 14 an unlikely choice in your place.

Do you often find yourself shooting with the kit zoom around 30mm? Do you wish for an extra stop there? It doesn't seem to me like the 30mm is offering you that much different, but if that happens to be a favorite focal length, maybe the single stop is worth it.

I generally don't like to upsell people, but I'd say keep saving.  A 45mm 1.8 gives you something entirely different and would be very good for the close up faces that you have a lot of on flicker.  That or keep saving a bit and upgrade the camera if you're looking for better high iso performance or something like that.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
alfredo_tomato
Like?
In reply to MarcusBrody, Nov 7, 2012

It's a legacy zoom, so I rarely use it. Yes I do like getting up close, and the 19mm makes me get inside some people's comfort zone (including mine).  Something like the 30mm would put some space between me and my subjects, and wouldn't distort the face as much. The 45 is a delicious lens, but way out of my price range.

My legacy 50's are usually teamed up with my extension tubes.  I've never really warmed up to zooms. Back in the sixties I had a zoom, but the 50mm was my go to lens. My 14~42 usually stays at 14mm.

The Panny G3 body is of interest.

alfredo_tomato
Like?
In reply to baxters, Nov 7, 2012

What about going with the Panny 14~45?

jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933Gear list
Like?
I'd also save [nt]

Nothing to see here

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
alfredo_tomato
Like?
Re: I'd also save [nt]
In reply to jcharding, Nov 7, 2012

That is an option. It's been several months since I've taken the 19mm off my body. I've been looking at the Panny G3, but it doesn't give much better IQ than the EPL-1. What it does give is better performance, a VF and swivel LCD. IS is not that important. I turned my IS off several months ago, forgot about it and never missed it.

MarcusBrody
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?

If you're willing to shop around online and buy used from third parties from places like this site's forums, I've seen the 45mm 1.8 go for $290-$325 in excellent declared condition.  As it's only 20-25% over your budget, you might be able to save up.  It would just be more of an investment in hunting down a good deal.

I haven't used the 14-45, though if I could sell my 14-42, I'd be tempted to try it out.  Are you unhappy with your current 14-42?

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
LudwigVB
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
In reply to Bangers and Mash, Nov 7, 2012

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

Fourth option, you could pass it my way. Remember, there is more happiness in giving then there is in receiving.

A friend of mine used to say that.  He was an amateur boxer.

-- hide signature --

The trouble with resisting temptation is, you never know when you'll get another chance

alfredo_tomato
Like?
In reply to MarcusBrody, Nov 7, 2012

Thanks. I forget to check out the forums here.  The 14~42 is the first generation model and its just not my cup of tea. I can't use polarizers or graduated filters with it.

The 14~45 has gotten good reviews for IQ.

Midnighter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727
Like?
Flash

External flash unit. So important, so often overlooked. Complex to master but so rewarding. If I had the choice of a two lens travel system or single lens and a flash it would be the flash in a heartbeat. Daylight fill flash turns high contrast scenes not even salvageable with Photoshop or Liightroom into perfect ones needing little or no post processing.

That said I am not sure what the price is of an Oly flash currently, it should be less than $300? but I dont know. The third party ones...hmmm.... flash aspect ratio may not be suited to four thirds? Again, dont know. But flash it is.

alfredo_tomato
Like?
Re: Flash
In reply to Midnighter, Nov 7, 2012

I rarely use the flash except for fill. I can tilt the built in flash back using my index finger.

Jeremy_T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?

Since you seem to like manual focus, perhaps either the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye, or 85mm f/1.4 would be considerations? Both are rather specialty lenses but would offer up something new and fun to shoot with.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads