Another over priced 5D III post.

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions
marksee
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Another over priced 5D III post.
Nov 7, 2012

I've notice (finally) a number of posts on this forum about the Canon overpricing the 5DIII on it's debut.  I believe in free enterprise and charging what the market will bear. Heck, their isn't a company out there that wouldn't do the same, including photographers. I was OK with the original pricing of the 5DIII because it is a wonderful camera that fills most of my needs, but when I bought the 5DIII I did so with expectation that the price wouldn't dive within months. Still, what upsets me most is the lack of response by Canon to the original buyers who "feel" taken, and what upsets me second most is the response by members of this forum to posters here like me who feel taken. Canon watches these forums and take them into consideration when making marketing decisions. If you guys tell Canon in your replies that it's OK to overprice, which most of you do, then maybe it will be you next time that feels taken. I know now that I will never be first again with Canon's new releases. That will be my way of stating my position to Canon and their business practices. Finally, I have been a Canon (professional) photographer for over 45 years and will probably remain so. I'm just hoping that enough buyers will wait for new Canon debut prices to level after introduction and that Canon feels it in lower sales. Maybe then they will rethink their future marketing decisions. Lastly, to anyone that writes a negative response to this post, Canon is reading it, so please tell them that It's not OK to ignore buyers who feel taken.

marksee's gear list:marksee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Another over priced 5D III post.
In reply to marksee, Nov 7, 2012

I think the negative responses to these kinds of posts is not aimed at Canon. What I mean is, that anyone who was following the announcement of the 5DIII and the D800 JUST KNEW the 5D3 was priced wrong. The fact that some people bought it anyway and are now lamenting it, is the problem.

Unless your trying to say that you had NO IDEA Canon screwed up the initial offer price and now feel taken... but that's kind of hard to believe.

So, #1)yes Canon's release pricing of the 5D3 was fecked, and #2)everyone knew it and #3)who's fault is it if you bought one at that ridiculous price?

Unless you REALLY NEEDED it because your a full time working pro and it solved a problem for you, in which case it was worth every penny regardless of it's overpriced status. (And then it really does suck that Canon gouged it's main supporters. So in that sense I AGREE COMPLETELY.)

(Not much of an answer, sorry... )

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DSHAPK
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
In reply to Qwntm, Nov 7, 2012

Qwntm wrote:

I think the negative responses to these kinds of posts is not aimed at Canon. What I mean is, that anyone who was following the announcement of the 5DIII and the D800 JUST KNEW the 5D3 was priced wrong. The fact that some people bought it anyway and are now lamenting it, is the problem.

Unless your trying to say that you had NO IDEA Canon screwed up the initial offer price and now feel taken... but that's kind of hard to believe.

So, #1)yes Canon's release pricing of the 5D3 was fecked, and #2)everyone knew it and #3)who's fault is it if you bought one at that ridiculous price?

Unless you REALLY NEEDED it because your a full time working pro and it solved a problem for you, in which case it was worth every penny regardless of it's overpriced status. (And then it really does suck that Canon gouged it's main supporters. So in that sense I AGREE COMPLETELY.)

(Not much of an answer, sorry... )

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

It's impossible to have any empathy for anyone who feels they bought something that is overpriced. That's why these threads are really stupid. A tool that solves a business problem is worth every penny. Other than that YOU elected to buy the "overpriced" item.

Competition is a great think. If you believe Canon is gouging you then move on. Sony, Pentax, Nikon etc. would love to have Canon defectors as customers.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?

I considered the 5D III for a good while starting over the summer. My conclusion is that it's just overpriced given the alternatives. I think Canon has some glass that I really wanted, but I also recognize that I am pretty simple in wanting a good and fast 35mm lens and anything else is gravy for me, really. So, I can look at Sony's A99 and Nikon D600 and D800 and still get the main lens I'd use on any system. For that matter, I can even consider the RX1 as a cheap alternative to the bigger bodied cameras (and keep using my NEX-5N for the few other focal lengths I use here and there).

But I still wanted the 5D III because of the AF speed. I know this won't go over well here, but I think Sony is making the best sensors in this game right now. When I balance the difference between the sensors and the AF issue I certainly think pricing should not be skewed to heavily towards the Canon, but I also believe in the market determining this stuff. Canon priced the 5D III at launch and had nice sales with it. The price is coming down now to reflect the fact that there is decent competition, but at $3,200 there is no way I'd consider it (and I know it goes on sale more than any competitor so it can be found under the listed price often - Edit: I can find it for $2,800 right now so that's a price I'd consider). I have yet to decide the FF route I am going to take, but I know I am not going to pay much more than the A99 price ($2,800). I've pretty much ruled out the D600 for a variety of reasons after testing one out. Maybe my waiting game will bring the 5D III into play; maybe not. But I do think the Canon is overpriced and I am a system neutral buyer at this point. My next choice will likely choose my loyalties.

Added edit in bold above

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
NRBlack
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?

The 5DII dropped in price six months after release, so why are you surprised it happened on the 5DIII. This has happened frequently with other Canon models as well. This also happens in other market/product segments. Cars come to mind. Understand history. 

I doubt anyone gives very much weight to the DPReview forums. These forums are fanatical and hysterical. Winers, moaners, armchair business experts. A fun read. Sure there is information a company can sift from the noise, but these forums are very "noisy". There is far, far more money to available selling to the non "dpreview" type crowd.

DSHAPK
Like?
In reply to NRBlack, Nov 7, 2012

NRBlack wrote:

The 5DII dropped in price six months after release, so why are you surprised it happened on the 5DIII. This has happened frequently with other Canon models as well. This also happens in other market/product segments. Cars come to mind. Understand history. 

I doubt anyone gives very much weight to the DPReview forums. These forums are fanatical and hysterical. Winers, moaners, armchair business experts. A fun read. Sure there is information a company can sift from the noise, but these forums are very "noisy". There is far, far more money to available selling to the non "dpreview" type crowd.

You are right.

As far as history, look at the iphone. The iphone 4 was selling for hundreds of dollars, now it's being given away by Verizon. Every piece of electronic equipment follows a similiar path. Depending on the manufacturing the price drop may vary by minutes to years, but it's gonna happen.

Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,987
Like?
In reply to DSHAPK, Nov 7, 2012

The only one who can decide if something is overpriced is the person (not) buying it. I paid full price for my 40D and 60D the week they were released. I waited about 9 months before buying a 5DII. I chose not to purchase the 5DIII because of the price. I have never regretted any of these choices.

Also, FWIW - I am considering a 6D but am going to wait to see if there is an improvement in the sensor performance when pushing the shadows. I do this a lot with my 5DII and find it leaves a lot to be desired on that camera. If this feature is indeed improved on the 6D, I am prepared to pay full MSRP for one.

-- hide signature --

View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter
Model Mayhem: http://www.modelmayhem.com/93181

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,500
Like?
Are you trying to say..
In reply to DSHAPK, Nov 7, 2012

DSHAPK wrote:

It's impossible to have any empathy for anyone who feels they bought something that is overpriced. That's why these threads are really stupid.

Are you trying to say you have a hard time having sympathy to someone who says...

"No one forced me to do it but, I bought an overpriced product because I am stupid and did not do research"

Personally, I try to buy products at end of life, the problem with that is sometimes they come out with something better for less money. But if I buy bleeding edge, I know the price is going to go down so I don't worry about it. I make the choice to buy at the beginning of the product life cycle and you PAY for that decision.

SwampYankee
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?

Well I thought it was overpriced and waited until it dropped $600 bucks before buying.  That didn't take long.  I was interviewed, and then had a conversation with a professional newspaper photographer (circulation 1,000,000) who was using a Mark II and he thought the III was over-priced so he is waiting still.  I was hoping that Canon learned their lesson but I don't think so.  The pricing of the 6D and new lenses seems out of whack.  I'd just as soon wait for the prices to come down before buying.  I'd love to see the sales curve of the 5DIII.  I'm sure it was OK to start with, but after 2 months it must have dropped like a stone.  A couple of months after that and we are seeing $2,800.  The lesson is clear.  Wait 6 months or pay the early adopter 20% mark-up

Abdullah M
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?

I'm planning to buy a full frame camera, I'm now monitoring prices by using wish lists in Amazon, B&H and Digitalrev.com (Which offer free shipping to my country).

Week after week, prices changes, I will decide after the release of 6D.

The items in list is: 5D2, 5D3 and 6D. With and without kit lens (24-105).

Abdullah M's gear list:Abdullah M's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +7 more
Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536Gear list
Like?

marksee wrote:

Canon watches these forums and take them into consideration when making marketing decisions. If you guys tell Canon in your replies that it's OK to overprice, which most of you do, then maybe it will be you next time that feels taken.

Right.  Pricing by popular forum vote, instead of by manufacturing cost and market conditions.  Let me know how that works out.

I purchased a 5D3 early because it was worth the expected premium to me.  You purchased early, even though it apparently wasn’t worth it to you.  And now you think we need yet another thread, even though we already have two that are active.

As a 45-year Canon professional, surely you knew the price would come down.  It always does.  And as a professional, surely your camera has paid for itself by now.

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,129
Like?
Re-post, Never the right time.........

Canon gouges earlier purchasers of most of the camera products they put out. I was gouged when I was one of the first purchasers of the Xsi, but I knew it at the time, and considered part of the cost of having a new product.

The cycle is as follows:

1) Camera comes out, price the highest. When newbies ask whether they should purchase now, many will say, wait for the price to come down.

2) The camera now in mid-cycle of its product life is now cheaper. When newbies ask whether they should purchase now, they are told to wait as the price will drop even lower when new model set to release.

3) The new model is just a month or two away from release and the price is the lowest with the current model. When newbies ask whether they should buy the camera now, they are told to wait, this model will be obsolete with the new model having better features.

So the good news is, no matter when you purchase, its the wrong time.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Brian Cruickshank
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
I'm confused. You write that you believe in free enterprise and charging what the market will bear, but begrudge Canon for charging what the market will bear. The fact that you bought it means that Canon priced it correctly.  You've been doing this long enough to know that prices will drop, but you apparently saw value in buying the camera at its initial price. I'm not sure how you would want Canon to respond to that.

Brian
http://www.briancruickshank.com

Brian Cruickshank's gear list:Brian Cruickshank's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
VivaLasVegas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?

I'm in shock, I mean surprise, that you did NOT know this price GOUGING practice by Canon after 45 years. What I've learn is to just wait 2-3 years after its release to get a good price, this btw, applies to lenses also. The benefits of waiting are; 1. You don't become a stupid paying BETA TESTER just to uncover your latest&greatest body is defective, ouch! 2. Quality control is perfected, this means, light leaks are fix or oil spost are reduced....etc. 3. Workers assembling these bodies internalizes the sequence of assembly that it becomes second nature to them, better tighter tolerances internally and superb fit and finish externally. 4. Minor quirks are addressed through firmware updates. 5. Tons of test and reviews are done to sway you for or against it. 6. If your lucky, they'll release a firmware update adding features like clean HDMI out 4.2.2 8bit or AF support at F8. 7. All raw converters have added this particular model you are about to buy. And finally #8, you get to save more $€£¥.

The price will go down quickly if there are few BETA TESTER buyers. But on the same token, we need those few BETA TESTERS(guinea pigs) to perfect my body.

VivaLasVegas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?
Re: Re-post, Never the right time.........
In reply to rsn48, Nov 7, 2012

rsn48 wrote:

Canon gouges earlier purchasers of most of the camera products they put out. I was gouged when I was one of the first purchasers of the Xsi, but I knew it at the time, and considered part of the cost of having a new product.

The cycle is as follows:

1) Camera comes out, price the highest. When newbies ask whether they should purchase now, many will say, wait for the price to come down.

2) The camera now in mid-cycle of its product life is now cheaper. When newbies ask whether they should purchase now, they are told to wait as the price will drop even lower when new model set to release.

3) The new model is just a month or two away from release and the price is the lowest with the current model. When newbies ask whether they should buy the camera now, they are told to wait, this model will be obsolete with the new model having better features.

So the good news is, no matter when you purchase, its the wrong time.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Aha ha ha......that is so true, hell, I might have given that advice.

tron999
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?

marksee wrote:

I've notice (finally) a number of posts on this forum about the Canon overpricing the 5DIII on it's debut. I believe in free enterprise and charging what the market will bear. Heck, their isn't a company out there that wouldn't do the same, including photographers. I was OK with the original pricing of the 5DIII because it is a wonderful camera that fills most of my needs, but when I bought the 5DIII I did so with expectation that the price wouldn't dive within months. Still, what upsets me most is the lack of response by Canon to the original buyers who "feel" taken, and what upsets me second most is the response by members of this forum to posters here like me who feel taken. Canon watches these forums and take them into consideration when making marketing decisions. If you guys tell Canon in your replies that it's OK to overprice, which most of you do, then maybe it will be you next time that feels taken. I know now that I will never be first again with Canon's new releases. That will be my way of stating my position to Canon and their business practices. Finally, I have been a Canon (professional) photographer for over 45 years and will probably remain so. I'm just hoping that enough buyers will wait for new Canon debut prices to level after introduction and that Canon feels it in lower sales. Maybe then they will rethink their future marketing decisions. Lastly, to anyone that writes a negative response to this post, Canon is reading it, so please tell them that It's not OK to ignore buyers who feel taken.

My motto is

you need the latest and greatest only if you are making money out of that or its worth in other terms like status symbol, bragging rights, new baby etc etc

Else wait till your patience and market price and your affordability meet the point.

In the mean time improve your skills using existing tools.

Now the days people are so irresponsible, they buy the things either they don't need or  they can't afford. Once the new toy craze is over, reality settles in and they start whining.

Disclosure:

I am waiting for the price to come down to $2750 for 5D3

Till that, I am happy with my T2i

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,255
Like?
In reply to tron999, Nov 7, 2012

tron999 wrote:

Disclosure:

Out of interest, what made you decide on $2750 as the specific price that is the tipping point for you to purchase a 5DIII ?

tron999
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
In reply to meland, Nov 7, 2012

meland wrote:

tron999 wrote:

Disclosure:

Out of interest, what made you decide on $2750 as the specific price that is the tipping point for you to purchase a 5DIII ?

That is my affordability level and I think that is what the camera worth for me.

In fact I invested in some canon lenses and a flash 580 EX, else I would have jumped ship.

DSHAPK
Like?
In reply to tron999, Nov 7, 2012

tron999 wrote:

meland wrote:

tron999 wrote:

Disclosure:

That is my affordability level and I think that is what the camera worth for me.

In fact I invested in some canon lenses and a flash 580 EX, else I would have jumped ship.

I understand Canon lenses hold their value very well. Wouldn't if feel really good to finally be rid of evil Canon and not beholden to them in buying their overpriced equipment any more?

KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,287Gear list
Like?

I haven't followed the 5D3 prices but Canon must have priced it too high compared to similar Nikon and Sony models.

You get the same feeling (getting taken) when you buy something and a month or two later a newer model comes out with better features. How about driving that new car off the lot and seeing how much it's worth 2 months later compared to what you paid for it?

When the 7D first came out I had planned a trip to Death Valley and up Hwy 395 to Lake Tahoe and they were few and far between and I wanted one for the trip. I found one at a smaller camera store that was charging $100 over list and paid the extra $100 and have never regretted it because I wanted the camera. That was over 3 years ago or about $30/ year.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads