What the 35 / 2 IS has done for me, and, more specifically, Canon.

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,303
Like?
What the 35 / 2 IS has done for me, and, more specifically, Canon.
Nov 6, 2012

I currently have a 5Dc, 15 / 2.8 FE, 24 / 1.4L, 50 / 1.2L, 70 / 2.8 macro, 100 / 2, and 200 / 2.8L.  I've been debating if I'm going to get a 5D3 (at $2800), a D600, or even get an EM5.

The 35 / 2 IS pushed me over to staying with Canon.  It's a killer lens, and I hope the first of a series.  That is, I'd like to see a 24 / 2 IS, 50 / 2.8 IS 1:1 macro, and 100 / 2 IS.  If the macro could be a 50 / 2 IS 1:1 macro, even better.

I've long been a proponent of a line of f/2 primes that are sharp in the center wide open and sharp across the frame by f/4, and the 35 / 2 looks like it may fit the bill.

Bravo, Canon.  I will "tolerate" your lag in sensor tech to get this lens (but you need to rethink your pricing of the 5D3).

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,262
Like?
Re: What the 35 / 2 IS has done for me, and, more specifically, Canon.
In reply to Great Bustard, Nov 6, 2012

Great Bustard wrote:

Bravo, Canon. I will "tolerate" your lag in sensor tech to get this lens (but you need to rethink your pricing of the 5D3).

I am sure they are very pleased to hear your first comment but why do they need to rethink the price of the 5DIII?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,965
Like?
In reply to Great Bustard, Nov 6, 2012

Great Bustard wrote:

I currently have a 5Dc, 15 / 2.8 FE, 24 / 1.4L, 50 / 1.2L, 70 / 2.8 macro, 100 / 2, and 200 / 2.8L. I've been debating if I'm going to get a 5D3 (at $2800), a D600, or even get an EM5.

The 35 / 2 IS pushed me over to staying with Canon. It's a killer lens, and I hope the first of a series. That is, I'd like to see a 24 / 2 IS, 50 / 2.8 IS 1:1 macro, and 100 / 2 IS. If the macro could be a 50 / 2 IS 1:1 macro, even better.

I've long been a proponent of a line of f/2 primes that are sharp in the center wide open and sharp across the frame by f/4, and the 35 / 2 looks like it may fit the bill.

Bravo, Canon. I will "tolerate" your lag in sensor tech to get this lens (but you need to rethink your pricing of the 5D3).

I am in too deep with Canon lenses to think about switching brands, but I agree this 35 F2 w/ IS looks like a great lens that I just might have to add to my bag.  I would be interested in a 24F2 w/ IS as well,  and probably the others you mentioned if I was not already covered at those focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,303
Like?
In reply to meland, Nov 7, 2012

meland wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

I am sure they are very pleased to hear your first comment but why do they need to rethink the price of the 5DIII?

The "need" is based on my opinion that Canon will make more profit by selling the 5D3 at $2800 than they will make by selling it at $3500.

NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
In reply to Great Bustard, Nov 7, 2012

Great Bustard wrote:

meland wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

The "need" is based on my opinion that Canon will make more profit by selling the 5D3 at $2800 than they will make by selling it at $3500.

How on earth do you determine that?

I would love to see your financial analysis on this one? Or is it just on opinion alone? Do you know the costs?

Doesn't sound right to me, not for a product at this stage in it's life cycle with a healthy demand. At 2800, keeping wholesale what it is, retailer will make nothing. Lower the wholesale so the retailer makes a good margin, and Canon might be taking a loss at this stage. I don't know their costs, but I'm sure it's priced where it is for a reason. Be it to recover costs, or just send a price signal and position itself in the market.

There are other impacts too. Anyone who bought at the higher price will be furious!

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,078Gear list
Like?
In reply to NomadMark, Nov 7, 2012

Its a whole nother ball game if they plan to aggressively enforce MAP.  Previous to MAP who the heck cared about MSRP?  It was whoever bought a good deal bought a good deal.  Lets wait and see how things look 6 months into MAP.  Right now I still see that Canon is giving ridiculously good deals on their own refurb lenses that beat pre-owned values...to me thats still bang for the buck you don't get for Nikon.

People also complain about the price of the 35 f2...again it depends on the enforcement of MAP and how much it actually affects street pricing on this.  The Nikon 28 1.8 is not cheap either and has no IS.

To me Canon has already made 3 recent prime IS lenses...some *truly* popular focal lengths are remaining!  Such as the 50mm, 85mm, 100, and 135, etc!  Maybe they picked wide angles to test the waters before getting to tremendously popular focal lengths (the 35 being one).  They may lag a bit on sensor technology (which has very marginal effect on real-world photography), but are giving you some substantial benefits in terms of flexibility if you are not a tripod shooter!  They are ahead of the game in providing decently fast primes with IS...this 35 f2 being the fastest IS prime yet (not counting larger telephoto lenses).

IBIS is not easy for FF sensors...the A99 is the first and (only?) unfortunately it also has an SLT so you can't have everything.  Also arguably fixed-sensor camera's may employ better dust vibration mechanisms or dissipate heat better by being more heavily coupled to the body.  The *only* real disadvantage of lens IS is that some lenses don't have it!  Price I think the difficult export economy for Japan and weak dollar is a bigger factor to pricey lenses than the inclusion of IS.  I think 5 years down the road, Canon will be leading in IS-enabled primes...we'll have to see how the economy swings to see if prices fall or not.  Remember the lead Canon had on Ring USM primes in the portrait range was *not* short at all!  Nikon just revamped their portrait/normal primes and I think they don't have the capacity and demand to release VR ones...where as Canon has 20 yr old designs they can revamp that Canon buyers would be glad to see.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?
I don't know but $850 price tag will make me think twice

Do I need IS on a 35mm lens ?

Enthused
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

I currently have a 5Dc, 15 / 2.8 FE, 24 / 1.4L, 50 / 1.2L, 70 / 2.8 macro, 100 / 2, and 200 / 2.8L. I've been debating if I'm going to get a 5D3 (at $2800), a D600, or even get an EM5.

The 35 / 2 IS pushed me over to staying with Canon. It's a killer lens, and I hope the first of a series. That is, I'd like to see a 24 / 2 IS, 50 / 2.8 IS 1:1 macro, and 100 / 2 IS. If the macro could be a 50 / 2 IS 1:1 macro, even better.

Just curious why you haven't bought a 35L before this (if you don't mind expanding on your thoughts some more - thanks)

rebel99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

fortunately, i have been able to own a plethora of canon "L" lenses and have been a very happy customer of canon products, never had a complain or dire issue to change my mind about canon products that said, i have never missed or noticed "IS" on my lenses that much, especially on my wide FL lenses, so no big news for me here as far as 5D pricing is concerned, i think it is very simple to understand,  it is entirely up to the market supply and demand. i don't think canon is concerned to please everyone, rather it will be looking after its own profits. when demand slows down for 5D3, its price will go down to $2800 or possibly even lower!

cheerz.

Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,749Gear list
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

The 35 / 2 IS pushed me over to staying with Canon. It's a killer lens, and I hope the first of a series.

Third in "a series"... and the first two were f2.8, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 24/2 IS.  I am sure a $1000+ 85/1.8 and 100/2 IS will show up eventually unless the current management is sacked.

It is nice that Canon will sell at least one of these lenses, and perhaps even a body for their strange efforts.  I don't think the DSLR division are worthy of anything but scorn at this point, and there is no encouragement from these cascading disappointments.  Any money I have spent on camera gear in the last three years has gone to Olympus/Panasonic, so it is their loss.  Maybe one day they will have a 50+MP FF camera with a quality sensor that competes on price with Sony and Nikon... but again, I'm not holding my breath.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Howard S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795
Like?
In reply to NomadMark, Nov 7, 2012

It's a margin X volume calculation. If overall you make more margin $ by selling more volume at a lower margin per sale it can be worthwhile. Of course the impact on margin of pulling sales from other models would need to be considered and if the overall impact is positive. Also if it pulls more people into the Canon system that helps the overall margin.

Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 3,951Gear list
Like?

I agree with your comments on this lens, it seems fantastic!  Can't wait to see it tested.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
scott_mcleod
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?
Re: What it (and the 24 & 28 IS) have done for *me*

... made me extremely glad I bought a 5DIII!

I do a relatively large amount of shooting of static scenes in mediocre/poor lighting where support systems are either prohibited or impractical. Until now my "weapon of choice" was a high-quality APS-C cam with one of the better stabilized zooms. Prior to switching to Canon I used a D300 with the 16-85VR (after the switch it was a 7D + 15-85IS). The D700 killed it in good light but without a stabilized lens it wasn't in the race for the available-darkness stuff (I mean around EV3 or so). Well, you could do it but a) you'd be cranking the ISO up so high that any advantage over the D300 was well and truly lost, and b) the 50mm would be wide-open leaving almost nothing in focus. The 24-120VR didn't cut it for me and neither did the 24-105L when I switched (corners, corners, why can APS-C zooms have good corners but not FF?)

I honestly don't know why all the whining. Sure they're pricey but WA primes with sharp corners and IS? Wow! I am dying to get my hands on the 35/2 IS! Bring on a new 50mm and 85mm with IS and I'll be set 

Scott

mgrum
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

I'm pretty sure a company the size of Canon has a guy who figures this sort of stuff out. A guy with extensive portfolio of market analysis / price elasticity forecasts as well as detailed production costs, manufacturing capability and expected R&D payoff period.

But hey maybe not, maybe you should send them your CV!

ultimoamore
Regular MemberPosts: 278
Like?
Re: What it (and the 24 & 28 IS) have done for *me*
In reply to scott_mcleod, Nov 7, 2012

scott_mcleod wrote:

I do a relatively large amount of shooting of static scenes in mediocre/poor lighting where support systems are either prohibited or impractical.

Maybe a stupid question... but what do you photograph? I'm trying to understand why people need IS on a wide lens...

Thank you

laquila65
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?

I don't get this. Could anybody give me an example of when and where they would use this lens? I mean an example where the IS would be needed? When shooting video handheld perhaps, but photography? I don't know.

I still think it's overpriced. Optical quality will probably be not much better than the current 35/2. I think Canon primarily charges here for the IS and the motor, but it's not worth it.

laquila65's gear list:laquila65's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D40 Nikon D80 Canon EOS 550D +4 more
cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

meland wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

You can get the 5D3 for $2,899 Aussie Dollars now!

for the first time, the ole 'Pacific Peso'  has made buying gear here really affordable

(agree, I like the sound of 35mm f2.0 IS)

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211Gear list
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

meland wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

at 2800, canon is making around 220,000 Yen per camera - nearly 55,000 yen off the original JPY price and a full 80,000 yen down from the 5d Mark II price - how do you know they make a profit after all other factors are considered (such as technical support, production, shipping, warranty, etc,etc are considered) - not to mention R&D and fabrication overhead that has yet to amortize?

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to laquila65, Nov 7, 2012

laquila65 wrote:

I don't get this. Could anybody give me an example of when and where they would use this lens? I mean an example where the IS would be needed? When shooting video handheld perhaps, but photography? I don't know.

I still think it's overpriced. Optical quality will probably be not much better than the current 35/2. I think Canon primarily charges here for the IS and the motor, but it's not worth it.

Optical quality is likely to be better than the previous f2 lens, if Canon's MTF graphs can be somewhat trusted, as well as their recent track record, especially in regards to the 24 and 28mm IS USM.

mgrum
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?

Great Bustard wrote:

They've only just released a 24 f/2.8 IS, so I can't see them making a 24 f/2.0 IS. I'd love to see a new midrange 50mm as the current offerings are pretty poor, either an f/1.4 that's usable wide open or an f/2 that's bitingly sharp and contrasty. Can't imagine it being 1:1 though, it would have to extend a long way or become a 25mm to achieve macro focus. 1:2 ~ 1:4 might be a possibility.

As for IS, it's a good option to have, certainly, but Canon have started at the wrong end, I would much rather a 100 f/2.0 IS or 85 f/1.8 IS.

I bought the 100 f/2.8L macro to use for low light events instead of the 85 f/1.2L as slower aperture + IS ought to enable me to have more depth of field/fewer focus misses without raising the ISO. However I found when shooting at 1/25s or 1/50s that subject motion became a problem so I went back to the 85. An 85 f/1.8 IS would be the best of both worlds.

I keep thinking IS would be great for low light shots of static subjects when out and about, but then I remember in these situations I usually just tense up and rip through 10 to 15 shots in succession and I'm usually able to pull out a sharp shot at shutter speeds you would usually reserve for IS lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads