D3x verses D800

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Questions
sylvain denis
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
D3x verses D800
Nov 6, 2012

I can purchase a D3x for $2500 or a D800 for $3K

Anyone of you know the difference in images quality between both cameras?

The price difference in both cameras is so huge, must be a reason.

Wondering wich one to buy?

Thanks

Sylvain

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3X Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Bond
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: D3x verses D800
In reply to sylvain denis, Nov 6, 2012

If it was me I would go for the D3X. This is in my opinion nikons BEST camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IainD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185
Like?
In reply to Jim Bond, Nov 6, 2012

Hello!

I have the D3x but not the D800, so I can only half answer.

The D3x is marvellous and accurate, but could be too slow for some purposes. I would love to use it for my wildlife especially birds, but I miss too many shots. Also, it does not like to have its ISO pushed too high.

My reading suggests the D800 is a bit quicker, and goes to higher ISO without any trouble, and this could be the deal breaker for you. The D800 is lighter and more compact too. So there is not really an absolute answer. Both are obviously great cameras, and fit into a similar position in their uses. I am sure many people will answer by saying the new technology of the D800 is well worth it, but the D3x is still superb!

IainD

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
In reply to IainD, Nov 6, 2012

I have both.  If you pass on the D3x at that price, and it's not a trotline weight, please send me the info and I'll take it. 

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

sylvain denis
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, Nov 6, 2012

coronawithlime wrote:

I have both. If you pass on the D3x at that price, and it's not a trotline weight, please send me the info and I'll take it.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeedtithe

supposedly it has 40k activation, it's in good shape as far as I can seem.

Are the images of the D3x as good as the D800 at 1000 ISO?

maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,613
Like?
D800 is a better camera

My D3X has sat on the shelf since I bought the twins.

Compared with the D3X, the D800/D800E have better high ISO, better dynamic range, better AF, more resolution, better auto ISO, smaller and lighter body.

The D3X is a bigger body, built in vertical grip, professionally rugged.

I would buy the D800.  You'll have Nikon's best camera ever.

maljo

shotshot
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 is a better camera
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, Nov 6, 2012

I agree!

To the OP : Go with the D800 or save money and grab the D600. I had the D800 but sold it and bought the D600 but the D800 is definitely a better camera in many ways then the D3x

-- hide signature --

"the Story___
of life is quicker
than the wink of an eye
_______
the story-of love ___
is hello and goodbye____
until we meet again"
Jimi Hendrix

shotshot's gear list:shotshot's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D600 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
sylvain denis
Like?
In reply to shotshot, Nov 6, 2012

Thanks this is great info, I am getting people tha are saying different  but the more I am getting the better.

what you said make sense, only one thing I really hate on th. D800 is the battery system the door feels so flimsy

and the battery does not last long and hate to have 2 battery one for the camera sand the other for the vertical ggrip but my main point is high ISO and image quality from better dynamic range.

Mauro.B
Senior MemberPosts: 2,343Gear list
Like?
Get the D3x

Better autofocus: much more consistent than the D800.

Non focus point biased metering: more reliable exposures in mixed light.

That price is great. Later on, if you do not like the D3x or wish to "upgrade", you can sell it without losing money and decide what's next.

Best Nikon cameras so far are the D3s and the D3x.

Btw, I have the D800e: a truly excellent camera with an autofocus system not really designed for 36mpix and a matrix metering I do not like (using manual most of the time).

M

Mauro.B's gear list:Mauro.B's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-T1
MichaelIsGreat4
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
D800 without the shadow of a doubt!

Anyone who tells you on this forum that you should go with the D3X has an agenda, an ulterior motive like selling you a D3X!!

It is simply dishonest to tell you to go with the D3X when the D800 is currently on the market, that is as simple as that.

There is no comparison between the two cameras and it is due to many reasons. The sensor for a start is much better on the D800 than on the D3X and that translates in much higher dynamic range. And many other features that make the D800 stand out in many ways.

Having said that, both cameras are still great cameras. But a new generation camera like the D800 makes a lot of difference compared to an older generation camera like the D3X.

cyclop20
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

sylvain denis wrote:

Thanks this is great info, I am getting people tha are saying different but the more I am getting the better.

what you said make sense, only one thing I really hate on th. D800 is the battery system the door feels so flimsy

and the battery does not last long and hate to have 2 battery one for the camera sand the other for the vertical ggrip but my main point is high ISO and image quality from better dynamic range.

the battery of D800 might last for 1000-1200 shots depends on weather, or the frequently you review the picture shots, if you do a whole day wedding shoot, from morning till midnight, it should need another half piece of fresh battery to finish your job, while for vacation just charge it every night. ^^ just my little opinion ...

for the same battery that use inside D7000 it seems work forever, I remember the day I shoot Formula One race day, after 1500 shots the battery remain 60% charge, I have no idea when the battery will die. New technology is somehow terrible.

FireWalk
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Re: D800 without the shadow of a doubt!
In reply to MichaelIsGreat4, Nov 6, 2012

If it was me I would go with the D800.

I use a D3X daily in work, and while it has stunning image quality, and a great build, it is quite simply only at it's best in a studio/low ISO environment. This really limits its potential. In fact if I ever have to shoot outside the studio then I choose to use my own D700 over work's D3X.

It's not that it's a bad camera by any means, but unless you really need the pro build quality, then I can't see any reason to choose it over the D800.

Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
I miss two things

live view was much much better in the studio. My D3X changed brightness automatically, even when the lens was stopped down to F16 and above. With my new D800E it is just dark and can't focus on the object. It's a step back when I use strobes in the studio.

Second, the D3X had a fine body.  Anything else is better on my D800E, except moirè.

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
glo
glo
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
Re: D800 without the shadow of a doubt!
In reply to MichaelIsGreat4, Nov 6, 2012

MichaelIsGreat4 wrote:

Anyone who tells you on this forum that you should go with the D3X has an agenda, an ulterior motive like selling you a D3X!!

It is simply dishonest to tell you to go with the D3X when the D800 is currently on the market, that is as simple as that.

There is no comparison between the two cameras and it is due to many reasons. The sensor for a start is much better on the D800 than on the D3X and that translates in much higher dynamic range. And many other features that make the D800 stand out in many ways.

Having said that, both cameras are still great cameras. But a new generation camera like the D800 makes a lot of difference compared to an older generation camera like the D3X.

What's your agenda? Because I have both the 3X and the 800E and I disagree with you except where you say they're both good cameras. The 800 is better at a few things and has newer technology, but you're wrong to say that it's dishonest to recommend the 3X. If you really believe that, I question whether you've owned or used a 3X. And FYI, my 3X is not for sale.

To the OP, it's your money, if you have plenty of it, get the 800 if you think you'll need large files for printing. If you want a great camera take the 3X and use the balance for some glass - you'll be delighted with it.

glo

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,270
Like?

I like the professional grade cameras with the built in battery grip and the larger bodies.  I had the d3s and now the d4, tried the d800 but went for the d4.

I personally would consider the d3x knowing that it is not as good at high iso settings, ok at anything under iso of about 1,100.  I like the handling and more exterior buttons for setting changes on the d3 series cameras.  If you use a camera for rugged use then the d3 series cameras are better I personally think.  I also think that the 24 mp's is plenty for most purposes unless your printing large posters.

Larry

D700man
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?

sylvain denis wrote:

I can purchase a D3x for $2500 or a D800 for $3K

Anyone of you know the difference in images quality between both cameras?

The price difference in both cameras is so huge, must be a reason.

Wondering wich one to buy?

Thanks

Sylvain

If it was like new with few clicks on it then I'd go D3x.  Pro body with just the right amount of resolution and great DR.  I've been thinking of going this route myself actually as I feel the D800 is a bit to much on the mP side and the D600 does not have the pro features that I'm looking for.  I think I'd be overjoyed if I got a D3x.

-- hide signature --

www.brentpearcy.com

sportmaster
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?

Buy the new technology.  It's a better investment.

The D3x is old and will lose resale value much faster.

sylvain denis
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Nov 6, 2012

larrywilson wrote:

I like the professional grade cameras with the built in battery grip and the larger bodies. I had the d3s and now the d4, tried the d800 but went for the d4.

I personally would consider the d3x knowing that it is not as good at high iso settings, ok at anything under iso of about 1,100. I like the handling and more exterior buttons for setting changes on the d3 series cameras. If you use a camera for rugged use then the d3 series cameras are better I personally think. I also think that the 24 mp's is plenty for most purposes unless your printing large posters.

Larry

so the D800 and D3x are the same image quality at 1000 iso?

I don't need more the 1000iso

Someone mentioned that focusing is not great on the D800, to many megapixel.

PatFahey
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?

sylvain denis wrote:

so the D800 and D3x are the same image quality at 1000 iso?

I don't need more the 1000iso

Someone mentioned that focusing is not great on the D800, to many megapixel.

I use both the 3x and the 800E.  Personally, I wouldn't use the D3x over ISO 800, but that is a subjective call.  On the other hand, I believe that nothing beats the D3x IQ at base ISO.

Re: DR.  I think it's a wash.  You might squeeze out a little more DR from the 800, but there's so much to begin with on both cameras, the slight difference has never been an issue for me.

On the other hand, when extracting high DR images, the D3x holds much more accurate colors.  I find that the 800e introduces slight but unusual color when using a lot of DR.

The other observation is that the D800e doesn't seem like it will last very long.  The plastic pieces seem very flimsy.  The flash above the prism wiggles around and doesn't seat very well, and I'm waiting for the battery door to fall off any day.  Luckily the battery is held in with a retaining clip, so one probably does not need the battery door.  If there are any clouds in the sky I'm using the 3x anyhow.

The D3 and D4 cameras, on the other hand, will probably outlive me.

-Pat

RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,442Gear list
Like?
In reply to sportmaster, Nov 8, 2012

sportmaster wrote:

Buy the new technology. It's a better investment.

The D3x is old and will lose resale value much faster.

incorrect and badly so. it has already lost the lions share of its resale value. the D800 has not. do the math. none of them are investments unless youre a professional making an investment

if anything, the d3x can be expected to maintain its usability much, much longer on account of being the better built camera

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads