Remove a double chin

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions
hzmeyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?
Remove a double chin
Nov 5, 2012

My wife and I volunteer to take the publicity photos for a small local theater. We have done this about 5 years and they have liked our work- or at least said so because we are free. We have now hit a challenge that we don't know if we can handle.

The current play is a musical and the lead singer is, well, fat. She is a good singer but has a significant weight problem. And she didn't like the photos we took of her. She said she wants to hide her double chin and protuding belly. In other words, she wants us to make her look slim.

We do our work in LR 2 and I don't think it has that option. We were ask to reshot her this coming Saturday. That is not a problem but making her look slim is a BIG problem.

Is there any S/W out there that the casual user can use to make this happen? Bear in mind that we don't make money on this work and do little retouching so we need something cheap and easy to use.

Patsy Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,407
Like?
Re: Remove a double chin
In reply to hzmeyer, Nov 5, 2012

It would be simpler for you to just post a photo, then members would be able to tell you what software and tecniques they used. What I can tell you is Lightroom won't do what you want.

Regards Patsym

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GHwell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?

posing is the starting point.   If you are doing head shots try having her lean forward with the leading shoulder slightly down and push her chin out but not up.  This is done by moving the face forward with the neck.   Now shoot form a slightly high angle with short lighting.  SL is the shadow side of the face closest to the camera.  YOU must have off camera flash to do it right.

The same stands true for a full body shot.  bring the light across the body with the shadows to the camera.   Dark colthing that is not tight also helps

Remind her she is who she is and she is beautiful person.   size is not that important.   A retouched  picture that does not look like her will be far less flattering than a natural shot.

stormyboy
Contributing MemberPosts: 542
Like?

Ha.  Patsy, Do you think the "fat" singer (called so by the OP) wants her picture posted on an international website?

hzmeyer
Like?
In reply to GHwell, Nov 5, 2012

Usually we don't have the option to pose our subjects. The director wants us to shoot during the rehearsal so we take what we can get. It has worked in the past for us since we usually walk away with close to 1000 shots from which we can get 2 or 3 good ones for each actor. ( Poor stage lighting, quick movements, ect)

This time in addition to poor lighting, ect, we have a fat leading lady. I guess you might call this the perfect storm- everything is working against the photographer. As I see it the only thing left is to do something in retouching. I don't know what the audience will do when the beautiful swan they see in the advertising and lobby photos turns into an ugly ducking when she walks on stage.

Still looking for a software program- please under $100- to save our reputation. Its terrible when your fired from a volunteer job.

hzmeyer
Like?
In reply to stormyboy, Nov 5, 2012

Good point, Stormyboy. If she saw the photo I would have to leave town on the next stage.

Dave Jaseck
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,120Gear list
Like?
Will it really matter or be noticed?

I had to do some makeup photos for a church directory.  I took this one and could not let it go as is.  Oddly enough, after the person saw the retouched version, she did not even comment about the change.  It is all about how people see themselves, which is OK.  Here are the before and after.  Liquify filter was used in photoshop for most of the work.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/davidjaseck
http://www.pbase.com/davidjaseck/image/112520927/small.jpg
Be careful how you interpret the world: It is like that.

ed3052
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to hzmeyer, Nov 6, 2012

hzmeyer wrote:

My wife and I volunteer to take the publicity photos for a small local theater. We have done this about 5 years and they have liked our work- or at least said so because we are free. We have now hit a challenge that we don't know if we can handle.

The current play is a musical and the lead singer is, well, fat. She is a good singer but has a significant weight problem. And she didn't like the photos we took of her. She said she wants to hide her double chin and protuding belly. In other words, she wants us to make her look slim.

We do our work in LR 2 and I don't think it has that option. We were ask to reshot her this coming Saturday. That is not a problem but making her look slim is a BIG problem.

Is there any S/W out there that the casual user can use to make this happen? Bear in mind that we don't make money on this work and do little retouching so we need something cheap and easy to use.

use a wide lens ans shhot down - have the ladie look up

DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,537Gear list
Like?
Really easy to do this: Shoot from above
In reply to hzmeyer, Nov 7, 2012

Simple answer: Shoot from above.

Climb up on a step ladder. Shoot with as long a focal length as you can manage. Have the subject look up at you. The chin disappears. Both of them. All of them. Even if you don't crop tight. The body is largely hidden by the shoulders. When the subject looks up at you, her eyes become fully wide open and that's what people will see. Practice this. It works beautifully.

This lovely woman is by no means even an ounce overweight, but I'm showing you this image so you can get an idea of what I mean by shooting from above. I'm up on a step ladder, far enough away to use a focal length of 165mm on my 70-200.

Canon 5D II, ISO 200, f/11 with Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II at 165mm

Lighting was one Einstein at camera left in a 24x30-inch non-gridded softbox. A second softbox to camera right but with its Einstein turned off so the front diffuser fabric was used only as a fill reflector.

With an overweight subject, I would put less light on the right side, making the face look thinner. That "short lighting" technique was not needed here.

wayne johnson
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to hzmeyer, 7 months ago

hi sir, dont worry about that.. i was suffering same problem..

but now i taking relief from these problem.. just do one thing you should exercise regular basis and continue your treatment.. i know it is difficult to schedule in our daily routine 1st week is difficult but after that it will help you... you can also refer http://removedoublechin.net/ thanks..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads