Fuji X-10 Canada repair!!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions
Icewolfca
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Fuji X-10 Canada repair!!
Nov 5, 2012

Sent in the camera ALMOST 2 months ago. Contacted them said they are waiting for "parts". Two months? I am not one to complain but really 2 months is insane if you ask me. Any others out there who had their camera repaired by Fuji Canada? Thank you.

zcus
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-10 Canada repair!!
In reply to Icewolfca, Nov 5, 2012

I feel your pain!!!  Day 50 and still waiting...  and the bad news is that someone else here on the forum that sent it to the same place in canada for repair; recently received his back and the the focus is stuck on AF-C...   this is just unacceptable service.

zcus's gear list:zcus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kwa_photo
kwa_photo MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595Gear list
Like?
In reply to zcus, Nov 5, 2012

My X-S1 was sent to Fuji USA (lens droop and sensor blooming) back on Sept 24th.  I don't have it back yet...BUT, I was contacted by a Fuji rep on Friday.  They are doing their best here in North America to get these repaired and/or replaced with new units.  It sure sounded like they are at the mercy of Fuji Japan's ability to send new parts/units. Yes, it is frustrating.

I sent my X10 in back in July and I had a new on back in a few days - excellent service! I just think that the demand for the repair was a lot higher than Fuji Japan anticipated and they let the N. American centers down with low stock of supplies. I feel for the Fuji staff over here.  They sure probably take the brunt of the complaints for something out of their control.

Here was my OP on the topic: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3288971

-- hide signature --
 kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Lyle From Canada
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373
Like?
In reply to kwa_photo, Nov 6, 2012

Mine was gone for 58 days. Heard three different excuses and was flat out led to on two seperate occasions. Fuji canada is a horrible bunch to deal With.

-- hide signature --

Sony a77 & NEX7 - sigma 30/1.4 - sigma 85/1.4 - sigma 8-16 - sigma 17-50/2.8 - sigma 70-200/2.8 - extension tubes - HVL42 (3) -HVL58 - 16 pancake + fisheye adapter, fuji x10 compact
http://photogenykstudios.blogspot.com/

jkuo
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
In reply to zcus, Nov 6, 2012

zcus wrote:

I feel your pain!!! Day 50 and still waiting... and the bad news is that someone else here on the forum that sent it to the same place in canada for repair; recently received his back and the the focus is stuck on AF-C... this is just unacceptable service.

Not only that but the flash appears to be non-operational as well after I got it back.  No matter what I try, the flash does not fire when popped up and the odd thing is that the flash modes do not appear when I press the right side of the control dial where the flash symbol is.  Though I dread having to send it back and wait for who knows how long again, I simply can't live with a "disabled" camera.  Makes me regret having sent it in in the first place, hoping it would be an easy fix for something that was, for me, only a relatively rare and intermittent orb issue...

Lyle From Canada
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373
Like?
In reply to jkuo, Nov 9, 2012

Make sure the camera isnt in super macro mode. The flash will not fire in ths mode and all flash options will be unaccessable.

-- hide signature --

Sony a77 & NEX7 - sigma 30/1.4 - sigma 85/1.4 - sigma 8-16 - sigma 17-50/2.8 - sigma 70-200/2.8 - extension tubes - HVL42 (3) -HVL58 - 16 pancake + fisheye adapter, fuji x10 compact
http://photogenykstudios.blogspot.com/

zcus
Like?
In reply to Lyle From Canada, Nov 9, 2012

So I got my X10 back from Fuji Canada after a LONG 54 DAY WAIT!!!

Now the camera is worse than when I sent it in. The metering is way out of wack and the live view is always dark and not at all acurate, and doesn't reflect changes when I dial in EV comp... Shutter speeds are always way too low. It's hard to explain just how messed up this 'brick' I got back is, so I need your help to explain the problem when I call and, do I have the right to demand a new camera?

Here are some attached pics (very bad and basic just to demonstrate the problem)

Notice the shutter speed and ISO on the X10 in the EXIF data compared to the TX5

Both cameras are on auto ISO - the problem is the X10 is bumping the ISO way up just to reach a far to low shutter speed.   The camera should of selected ISO 100 for these conditions as i see it.  So it is impossible to shoot in anything but the brightest daylight now.

First the fuji and then the sony TX5

X10

TX5

X10

TX5

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,321
Like?
In reply to zcus, Nov 9, 2012

I don't think Fuji is going to give a lot of credence to comparing a sony vs fuji.

Better that you find some of your old x10 images and compare them.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

zcus
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Nov 9, 2012

Ok, I went back and found a picture I tried to reproduce and again the ISO maxed out with the shutter speed not being high enough.. thus creating a inaccurate representation of the scene.

Both were shot in the same lighting and F/2.5 ... the original X10 was forced at ISO200 because I wanted a dark feel but the repaired X10 I had to use max auto ISO just to get a 1 sec exposure, but the original gave me a 1/15sec at ISO 200 exposure. Both were hand held.  I have a feeling im not making sence??  But the problem is; as stated above, the camera is not metering and exposing correctly.  In other words I should of been able to create the same shot with the same settings if the camera was working correctly.

First the original from before the camera was sent in:

The returned camera...  Selected MAX ISO at the same F-stop and a 1 sec exposure time.

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,321
Like?
In reply to zcus, Nov 9, 2012

you are making sense but you are confused, the old jan image was taken in M mode, iso 100, shot in raw etc, etc

the more recent one was in A mode, dr 100~400, fine jpg etc, etc

so given that these few settings I looked at are so different I suspect you also metered differently.

I suggest you look at all of the settings that were used with the old shot, duplicate them and then determine just how different the metering is, or if it even is different.

the memory is not as reliable as we humans would like to think

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

zcus
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Nov 10, 2012

I appreciate your help/opinion but I know the camera is not functioning correctly...  The fact the above shot that was out doors in BRIGHT overcast daylight could only produce a shutter speed of 1/30th sec and had to boost to ISO 800 wide open at F2 is not right AT ALL!!  (Notice the TX5 shot the same shot at shutter speed of 1/50th, ISO 125 at F3.5)  there is a problem with the sensor sensitivity and metering on the "repaired" X10.
I tried everything/setting I can think of:  Reset camera, change battery/ change mem card/ turn on/off camera multiple times/ update firmware/ fallback to firmware 1.03/  try all modes/ reset all settings to normal/ shoot in auto...   all produce the same results.  Will calll Fuji Canada on Monday and ask for a NEW camera.

zcus
Like?
In reply to zcus, Nov 10, 2012

Digging through some old photos and found this one, very different conditions but looking at the EXIF data should prove something is wrong with the ISO sensitivity...  it's like the base ISO is now ISO400 just to get any usable shutter speed, even wide open in daylight.. example below

Repaired X10

Now this shot in winter past but darker/later in the day and stopped down to F/5.6 and notice the ISO is at 100 and 1/25sec shutter speed... SOMETHING IS WRONG? Right?

Original X10

jkuo
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

zcus wrote:

I tried everything/setting I can think of: Reset camera, change battery/ change mem card/ turn on/off camera multiple times/ update firmware/ fallback to firmware 1.03/ try all modes/ reset all settings to normal/ shoot in auto... all produce the same results. Will calll Fuji Canada on Monday and ask for a NEW camera.

While I don't have the same problems that you have with my repaired X10, I'm also left with a camera that is now in worse shape than when I had sent it in.  True, I don't have the orb phenomena happening any more, but with the inability to switch off the rear LCD because I can no longer select AF-S mode and no ability to use flash either, I'm left with an expensive camera that can be used in far fewer situations than before the repair.

I'm also contemplating asking for a new camera, because after hearing of your experience with the repair center in Mississauga, I no longer believe that what happened to my camera is just an unfortunate isolated incident.  Indeed, I would have to wonder if sending it in again won't create even more problems than I'm currently left with, and I'm running out of time with my warranty period.  Like you, I will try asking, but given my experiences so far with this repair center, I'm not confident that this issue will get resolved properly and in a timely manner.

zcus
Like?
In reply to jkuo, Nov 10, 2012

Thanks for replying Jkuo!!!  Maybe if we complain together we can get somewhere???  I have NO confidence in Fuji Canada, Mississauga to repair this camera and am in no mood to wait another 50+ days for a repair. And I'm pretty sure the techs are not photographers and don't know the faults to check for after repair...  I'm guessing they just follow some guide on the procedures to replace the sensor and when finished turn it on and if it turns on they think its fixed.  NOT!!!

Both yours and mine are worse now than before the repair and this NOT acceptable!

What I'm doing Monday is I'm going to go back to Henery's where I purchased and compare a new X10 to mine and prove the faults and see if they will help or even exchange it. 
I will keep you posted, if you get anywhere with it reply back either here or through the email

Thanks again!!!!

Mike

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,648Gear list
Like?

zcus wrote:

I appreciate your help/opinion but I know the camera is not functioning correctly... The fact the above shot that was out doors in BRIGHT overcast daylight could only produce a shutter speed of 1/30th sec and had to boost to ISO 800 wide open at F2 is not right AT ALL!! (Notice the TX5 shot the same shot at shutter speed of 1/50th, ISO 125 at F3.5) there is a problem with the sensor sensitivity and metering on the "repaired" X10.
I tried everything/setting I can think of: Reset camera, change battery/ change mem card/ turn on/off camera multiple times/ update firmware/ fallback to firmware 1.03/ try all modes/ reset all settings to normal/ shoot in auto... all produce the same results. Will calll Fuji Canada on Monday and ask for a NEW camera.

Your camera is definitely messed up, after changing the lens/sensor, some adjustments have to be made to the camera (new sensor has slightly different parameters), and this is probably what happens when they make a sizable mistake in "adjustments", whatever it is they are doing (they are calling it "adjustment"). Some people got cameras back from repair with high noise in DR400 mode at ISO 100, and Fuji explanation was to send the camera back again for "adjustment". Best to get the new camera from them, if you can, if they would not do it, send it back as many times as needed until it is fixed. In the meantime, get some camera from a reliable brand (so you have something to shoot with), and sell the Fuji when it is fixed.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
zcus
Like?
In reply to DS21, Nov 13, 2012

Sent it in for a second time and requested a REPLACEMENT this time.... will report back..

zcus
Like?
In reply to zcus, Dec 6, 2012

They returned the camera after about 3 more weeks and stated....

"Checked and tested camera, no fault found. Camera has the latest lens and sensor. ISO limit can be set.  No sample images sent in for analyses."

For one they never asked for images to be sent in and should of called before returning the camera. I left my name and number on the one page description of the problem!

So this time I decided to take the camera back to Henery's Camera and shoot it in the excact same conditions with the shelf camera they had there on display, and the problem was acknowledged immediately by the store manager and he is now handling the problem and sending it in for me.  So glad that he was up front and honest about the situation..

I just have to say this is the worst warrenty/repair situation I have ever experienced!!  As someone else on this forum said "fuji canada in Mississauga are a terrible bunch to deal with" and I have to AGREE!!!  I'm disgusted with this service, and I know it doesn't represent all Fuji repair facilities, but unless they return a new camera I'm going to cut my losses and sell the Fuji and buy a Sony RX100.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads