a99: The All Souls Procession

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,265
Like?
a99: The All Souls Procession
Nov 5, 2012

Took the A99 out for some night shooting for the yearly event in Tucson.  Light was quite dim, and all the ambient was from low pressure sodium lights.  Tucson has low pressure sodiums due to astronomy in the area.  The light is very strongly yellow.

I think the actual temperature is lower than Lightroom will go.  All the photos pegged at 2000-deg, and I think to fully correct the WB, it needs to go a touch lower.  All shots with Minolta 50mm f/1.7, most are ISO 6400, and all are RAW.  I was truly impressed at how nicely photos at this ISO came out. Luminance correction is set to zero!  The EVF made shooting this event very easy.

-- hide signature --
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488
Like?
Re: a99: The All Souls Procession
In reply to Steve West, Nov 5, 2012

very cool..what great pictures for available light..they look great...thanks for sharing enjoyed viewing them..we used to live in tempe(i was a kid..went up to flagstaff quite a bit and will never forget the view of phoenix and its suburbs at night comming back down...maybe you can post a couple someday???you have the 'goods' to do it.thanks again,brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?

Beautiful captures Steve. I can see you will keep the A99, even for landscape, portrait, street & event shooting purpose. Hope you will figure out a way to use it for your birding. Cheers!

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137
Like?

Very nice pics Steve.Looks like a great time.Thanks for sharing these.

Robert

Steve West
Like?
In reply to Steve West, Nov 6, 2012

Thanks to all for the comments.  The camera did an amazing job at this ISO.  Yes Am So Shoo, looks like I will be keeping the camera.  Brian, glad this made you remember when you were in the state.

-- hide signature --
GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?

Good pictures.

For the last one the original size is not big enough.

linslus
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?

What is this event about? Is it Halloween-related?

linslus's gear list:linslus's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Steve West
Like?
LOL!(nt)
In reply to GuyMcKie, Nov 6, 2012
-- hide signature --
Steve West
Like?
In reply to linslus, Nov 6, 2012

I don't really understand all the culture, but it appears to be an annual event for All Soul's Day which marks remembrance of those who have passed (which is why you see a lot of photos in the crowds).  Anyone can march in the ceremony. It appears to have started here in Tucson in 1990.  It's a 2 mile march.  The roots come from Mexico's Dia de los Muertos.  It's supposed to be a celebration and mourning for loved ones that have passed.

-- hide signature --
Robsphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124
Like?
High ISO images: Quality of Sony A99 vs Sony A77

Hi Steve, I am very impressed with these images. I see that you also own a Sony A77 and I am interested to know whether you think the quality of the A99 high ISO images is a great deal better than the comparable A77 images would be?

In New Zealand, the A99 costs a hefty $4,000 in comparison with about $2,000 for the A77, but if the image quality is a great deal better (particularly for high ISO situations), it could be well worthwhile purchasing the A99 (I currently own the A900 and A55).

However, the A99 doesn't have built-in flash, so do you think it's worthwhile purchasing an external flash unit, considering that the high ISO images of the A99 look so good?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

www.robsphotography.co.nz

The_Wicker_Man
Senior MemberPosts: 1,521
Like?

Very cool

At risk of disrupting another thread by mentioning his name, I had been wondering where MaxIso has been hiding these last few hours, then got to the last of your photos. 

-- hide signature --

i know what i know, which is a fraction of what i don't

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,177Gear list
Like?

Great, Steve! They all have this smooth, yet sharp, great color and a nice 3D look! I am suprised how easy the A99 files are to process, daylight or artificial light.

The last one -- almost like a FF fisheye photo!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
underxposed59
Contributing MemberPosts: 710
Like?

Great shots Steve.

The A99 continues to impress.

splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
All Saints and All Souls
In reply to Nordstjernen, Nov 6, 2012

All Saints and All Souls

Great lines; to honor the dead from whom we don't know but may have become saints, due to the good path they followed on earth.

Very nice pictures BTW, I might get devilish and buy a 99 also.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to The_Wicker_Man, Nov 6, 2012

The_Wicker_Man wrote:

Very cool

At risk of disrupting another thread by mentioning his name, I had been wondering where MaxIso has been hiding these last few hours, then got to the last of your photos.

-- hide signature --

i know what i know, which is a fraction of what i don't

He simply uses other names/accounts attacking Sony SLT camera's other aspects (EVF, etc.). I feel sorry for that guy spending all his energy in from of computer trolling around.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Phaelix
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?

As far as your white balance woes go, Sodium Discharge bulbs are pretty impossible to properly balance for, because they have an extremely low colour rendering index.  Although you can white balance for a sodium bulb's effective colour temperature (~3800K), lots of things will still look wrong because the light doesn't contain most colours, so it can't show them adequately on your subject.

Phaelix's gear list:Phaelix's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
Takuya
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?

Amazing.  Thank you for sharing these. This post alone should put high ISO naysayers to rest.

Takuya's gear list:Takuya's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +7 more
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,572Gear list
Like?
In reply to Takuya, Nov 7, 2012

All Saints day is November 1st. it's a Christian holy day, a Catholic Holy day of Obligation.. The day before all Saints Day is called all Souls day, also know as the day of the dead, and it has a loosely connected history to Halloween...

The shots are excellent, thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO

busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve West, Nov 7, 2012

Darn nice work! Both you and the a99!

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
Steve West
Like?
Rob
In reply to Robsphoto, Nov 7, 2012

Hi Rob,

Thanks.  Here's my take on the A77 compared to the A99.  It is based on experiments I did last weekend.  Nord and Allan O helped out with suggestions.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50187105

If you set up both cameras with the same lens and the same distance, if you crop the A99 to the APS size so both see the same image.  I'm giving the A99 a 1 stop advantage in noise. This is mainly just due to my view of straight pixel noise between the images.  So for wildlife telephoto with heavy crops, you only get about a 1-stop advantage.

If however, you use the same lens, but adjust the distance so that the same scene fills up each detector, then the A99 gets about a 2.5 stop advantage!  So long as you fill that FF detector with the scene, the amount of light the pixels gathers is phenomenal.  For a given lens, that means you have to get closer to your object with FF.

As far as the flash--I'm pretty Tee'd at Sony.  The very least they could have done is put a small pop-up flash that could act as the wireless commander.  I have 3 Minolta flashes and I use all 3 for portraits, but now I have to mount one of my 43FAMs to the top of this camera and then buy another flash.  This is ridiculous.  Or I have to spend more money and go to radio, but I want radio to work with HSS.  I hate Sony for leaving their loyal customers out of the A99 hotshoe.  Because of this stupid move to get new customers at my expense, I will not say anything nice about whomever made this idiotic decision, and my thoughts about Sony in general have degraded.  This falls into the category of screw your friends first.

The nice thing about the A99 is that for low light non-studio work, you don't need no stinking flash!

So is the A99 worth extra money?  I always wanted a FF detector, and now I have one. I already went out to this event and got pictures that were impossible with my APS camera. I saw peoples flash pics, and the subject is illuminated (usually over illuminated) and the background is completely black, so they don't get the wonderful ambient backgrounds the non-flash photography brings to the table.

Robsphoto wrote:

Hi Steve, I am very impressed with these images. I see that you also own a Sony A77 and I am interested to know whether you think the quality of the A99 high ISO images is a great deal better than the comparable A77 images would be?

In New Zealand, the A99 costs a hefty $4,000 in comparison with about $2,000 for the A77, but if the image quality is a great deal better (particularly for high ISO situations), it could be well worthwhile purchasing the A99 (I currently own the A900 and A55).

However, the A99 doesn't have built-in flash, so do you think it's worthwhile purchasing an external flash unit, considering that the high ISO images of the A99 look so good?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

www.robsphotography.co.nz

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads