Opinions On The Canon Power Shot SX150

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions
Mac7778
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Opinions On The Canon Power Shot SX150
Nov 4, 2012

A friend of mine is thinking about getting a SX150 and would like to have some opinions on it from people who now own that camera. Would appreciate it. Thanks

Laif
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Battery life disappointing
In reply to Mac7778, Nov 4, 2012

I bought it for myself, however, I was only able to take about ten or fifteen pictures on fresh Duracell alkaline batteries each time before the low battery warning came on. I returned it as defective, but other reviewers were experiencing the same problem. I've heard the SX160 has better battery life.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,330Gear list
Like?
Use Eneloops or other low self discharge batteries.
In reply to Laif, Nov 5, 2012

Laif wrote:

I bought it for myself, however, I was only able to take about ten or fifteen pictures on fresh Duracell alkaline batteries each time before the low battery warning came on. I returned it as defective, but other reviewers were experiencing the same problem. I've heard the SX160 has better battery life.

Use Eneloops or other low discharge NiMH batteries and there is no problem. Alkaline batteries are very poor for these high drain functions and often give less than their stated mAh. The thing is to buy NiMH batteries that are sold pre-charged which means they will not self discharge and seem to function OK in the SX130 and the SX150. I used ordinary NiMH in my SX130 and they showed low battery quickly but Eneloops are fine. I also keep a couple of Lithium batteries as reserves as they also work OK and have a long life compared with Alkaline batteries.

I have found also with a Fuji that the low battery indicator can come on quickly but just ignore it and the camera will function OK for a lot more shots. The trigger voltage for the sensor is possibly just too high or the batteries are just a bit low voltage but useable.

Hopefully Canon have sorted out this bug in the SX160 as you have said but it is more an inconvenience with the SX130/150 than a terminal problem.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Mac7778
Like?
Re: Use Eneloops or other low self discharge batteries.
In reply to Greynerd, Nov 5, 2012

I was wondering about the flash. I read a review somewhere and it said that the flash needs time to recharge everytime you turn the camera on and after taking a few pics it will again need a little time to recharge, is this so?

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mac7778, Nov 5, 2012

I just tried this on my SX150.

If the camera has not been turned in a while, it takes 5 seconds from when you push click the shutter to when the flash fires and the picture is taken.

After that, the camera seems to know you are interested in flash pictures.  When the "busy" message goes away, the next message you get is "charge flashing" for one second with a black screen.  Then the display goes back the camera view.  But there is still a one second delay from clicking the shutter to the flash firing.

After that, in a 60 second period, I was able to get 7 pictures.

With the flash turned off, in a 60 second period, I was able to get 17 pictures.

If you just turn the camera off, and then turn it back on one minute later, there is still some charge left in the flash circuit.   So it is still only about one and a half seconds from from the first click to the first picture being taken.

I was using Energizer Nicket Metal Hydride batteries.  I get pretty good battery life from those.  I have also used Duracell Alkaliines and have gotten decent battery life but I don't really remember how much.  Just enough to get through an afternoon on vacation in a pinch.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Nov 5, 2012

Just to be sure about things, I fully recharged my batteries and tried again.  Same results.

The best thing about the SX150 is it feels perfect in the hands.  The screen is clearly visible, even in sunlight.   But indoors, the images come out noisy.    I only use my SX150 outdoors in sunlight and use other cameras indoors or in twilight.     One odd quirk about the SX150 is that lower light images look noisier on the camera display than they do when you load them on the computer.   Overall, for the price, the camera is good.  Kind of a winner actually.  But hard to recommend because newer cameras with CMOS sensors do a better job in low light than the CCD in the SX150.  I believe the SX160 has retained the CCD.   Some people like a CCD because in bright light the noise levels with a CCD are lower than with CMOS.  But I figure the noise is low in bright light either way.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
Mac7778
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Nov 6, 2012

I think I may tell my friend to go for another camera. There seems to be too many problems with this SX150. Bad IQ in low light, problem with flash charging, problems with batteries......... a little much.  I have a G12 which I totally love but she is getting a camera on her airmile points and the SX150 was one that was offerred for the number of points she has. Thanks again for your comments.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads