Raw file size is Odd

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Questions
Voleema
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Raw file size is Odd
Nov 4, 2012

Friends,

My instructors have all preached to fill the frame as you shoot because cropping reduces resolution. The Raw files from my 7D are coming out as 240dpi and 21.5in x 14.2in (5184x3456) according to CS5. Adorama recommends images be sent to them at 300dpi for printing. Can I adjust the 7D to produce images at 300dpi? What is the down side of converting them to 300dpi in CS5? your wisdom would be appreciated..........

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Eckstein
Senior MemberPosts: 2,077Gear list
Like?
Re: Raw file size is Odd
In reply to Voleema, Nov 4, 2012

You need to make this change in an editing program. Photoshop is one among many others.

Michael Eckstein's gear list:Michael Eckstein's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,716Gear list
Like?

Voleema wrote:

Friends,

My instructors have all preached to fill the frame as you shoot because cropping reduces resolution. The Raw files from my 7D are coming out as 240dpi and 21.5in x 14.2in (5184x3456) according to CS5. Adorama recommends images be sent to them at 300dpi for printing. Can I adjust the 7D to produce images at 300dpi? What is the down side of converting them to 300dpi in CS5? your wisdom would be appreciated..........

Your image does not define the dpi. It is the software (photoshop) that defines dpi. Change the dpi in photoshop.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,249Gear list
Like?

When you open the RAW file in ACR, Adobe Camera Raw, down the bottom in blue usually you will see:

Adobe RGB (1998);16 bit; 5184 by 3456 (17.9MP); 240 ppi

Instead of RGB it may be sRGB depending on your settings.

Click on that blue text and that will bring up a Workflow Options window where you can set the pip to 300.

I hope that helps?

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Nov 4, 2012

You can not change DPI in camera .

Dpi is dots per inch and the camera is pixals .

I don't print over 8.5 X 11 , I shoot large raw and JPEG . To print a raw shot it has to be converted to jpeg . Most of time I convert a raw to jpeg if color , cropping  - whatever needs changing and select 4 X 6 , 5 X 7 , or 8.5 X 11 and press print .

Raw has a lot more info , is easier to change / correct , but JPEG can go straight to printer .

Most of time I do a little culling , then go to Costco for 4 X 6 prints .

Camera are not designed to match any paper size .

You are doing the right thing by asking questions .  A lot of people get answers to questions they did not know they had , understand things better by reading or trying to explain a post , and see questions they mean to ask someday - just not today .

A word of advise - if you are considering buying a printer , get a refurbished / demo one . The main cost of the printer is ink and most of time it is cheaper to buy a refurb than ink . Switch brands 2 or 3 times before considering a company .

Me - I have bought 7 different brands . I now have 4 HP printers [ an HP 100 only does 4 X 6  , 7355 - both use same ink cart , an h470 - has a battery but only does 8.5 X 11 and an all in one C 8180 ] The big reason for HP is most places carry ink .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Voleema
Like?

Also the size is odd. 14" x 21"is the raw image size and Adorama prints in 11"x17" or 16"x20".

Voleema
Like?

Thanks folks for your quick response! I am happy to know I was OK in changing the DPI in CS5.

As to the odd size though, it is gonna be a problem if I fill the frame when taking the picture and have to crop it in post processing just to get a standard size. I must be missing something here because this topic has never come up in class before.  I am only now beginning to print my images so I never gave the RAW size a second thought. Do any of you experience this problem?

tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?

When print box comes up , select the paper size , and fit to page .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,871Gear list
Like?
image ppi is irrelevant

Voleema wrote:

Friends,

My instructors have all preached to fill the frame as you shoot because cropping reduces resolution. The Raw files from my 7D are coming out as 240dpi and 21.5in x 14.2in (5184x3456) according to CS5. Adorama recommends images be sent to them at 300dpi for printing. Can I adjust the 7D to produce images at 300dpi? What is the down side of converting them to 300dpi in CS5? your wisdom would be appreciated..........

The ppi set by the camera is arbitrary and doesn't matter.  What matters is the resolution.  Adorama is correct that 300 dpi is optimum, but that's for the size being printed.  If you're sending a file for an 8x10, the resolution should be 3000 pixels wide by 2400 pixels high.

Mark

Mark B.
Like?
Use crop lines on 7D LCD

Voleema wrote:

Thanks folks for your quick response! I am happy to know I was OK in changing the DPI in CS5.

As to the odd size though, it is gonna be a problem if I fill the frame when taking the picture and have to crop it in post processing just to get a standard size. I must be missing something here because this topic has never come up in class before. I am only now beginning to print my images so I never gave the RAW size a second thought. Do any of you experience this problem?

You have to keep cropping in mind when framing the shot.  As you print more photos, you'll learn how much room to leave.  The 7D does have an option to put crop lines on the LCD; if you're shooting on a tripod you can use Live View to frame the shot.  If not, just take a peek at the Live View image with the crop lines so you have an idea.

Mark

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
ppage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,601Gear list
Like?

Voleema wrote:

As to the odd size though, it is gonna be a problem if I fill the frame when taking the picture and have to crop it in post processing just to get a standard size. I must be missing something here because this topic has never come up in class before. I am only now beginning to print my images so I never gave the RAW size a second thought. Do any of you experience this problem?

You shouldn't crop your image to fit the paper format, you should resize the image to fit the paper.  If the paper and the image don't have the same dimensions, you can cut the extra white paper away after it's printed.

Adorama recommends that you print at 300 DPI but if you want to upsize your image, you can print at 240 DPI.  You'll still get a pretty good print, but not as good as you will with a smaller print at 300 DPI.  Obviously the relationship of DPI to print size is important.  Here is a good article that I think will probably answer most if not all your questions:

http://www.bythom.com/printsizes.htm

Hope this helps,

Peter

ppage's gear list:ppage's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
ppage
Like?
About printing...
In reply to ppage, Nov 4, 2012

If you're new to printing, you may or may not know about the issue of matching print colour to monitor colour.  In short, if you're not using a colour managed work flow, your prints will not match your images as they appear on the monitor.  If your instructors haven't covered this yet, they will soon, or they should.  Ask them.  You will need to calibrate your monitor using a colorimeter and software (this will set you back a couple of hundred dollars), and you may need to download a printer profile from Adorama. I've never used Adorama's print services, but I'm sure that they must have profiles somewhere on their site.

Good luck,

Peter

Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Mark B.
Like?
In reply to ppage, Nov 5, 2012

ppage wrote:

Voleema wrote:

You shouldn't crop your image to fit the paper format, you should resize the image to fit the paper. If the paper and the image don't have the same dimensions, you can cut the extra white paper away after it's printed.

Adorama recommends that you print at 300 DPI but if you want to upsize your image, you can print at 240 DPI. You'll still get a pretty good print, but not as good as you will with a smaller print at 300 DPI. Obviously the relationship of DPI to print size is important. Here is a good article that I think will probably answer most if not all your questions:

http://www.bythom.com/printsizes.htm

Hope this helps,

Peter

Not sure how resizing the image to fit the paper works.  If you send an image with 2:3 ratio to a lab to print an 8x10, they'll crop the image.  If you instruct them to fit the long edge to completely fit, what you end up with is white bands across the top & bottom.  In that case you may as well print an 8x12 and have it framed appropriately.

Mark

ppage
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Nov 5, 2012

Mark B. wrote:

Not sure how resizing the image to fit the paper works. If you send an image with 2:3 ratio to a lab to print an 8x10, they'll crop the image. If you instruct them to fit the long edge to completely fit, what you end up with is white bands across the top & bottom. In that case you may as well print an 8x12 and have it framed appropriately.

Mark

Agreed.  Unless I misread the message to which I was replying, the OP seemed to be considering cropping his image to match the paper format rather than resizing his image to fit whatever paper size he wants to use.

Peter

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,716Gear list
Like?
In reply to ppage, Nov 5, 2012

ppage wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Not sure how resizing the image to fit the paper works. If you send an image with 2:3 ratio to a lab to print an 8x10, they'll crop the image. If you instruct them to fit the long edge to completely fit, what you end up with is white bands across the top & bottom. In that case you may as well print an 8x12 and have it framed appropriately.

Mark

Agreed. Unless I misread the message to which I was replying, the OP seemed to be considering cropping his image to match the paper format rather than resizing his image to fit whatever paper size he wants to use.

Peter

I always crop my own image when I require a specific print size.  I never let the printer resize the image or decide which parts to cut out.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Mark B.
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Nov 6, 2012

Olga Johnson wrote:

ppage wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Mark

Agreed. Unless I misread the message to which I was replying, the OP seemed to be considering cropping his image to match the paper format rather than resizing his image to fit whatever paper size he wants to use.

Peter

I always crop my own image when I require a specific print size. I never let the printer resize the image or decide which parts to cut out.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Exactly, because by default they'll crop to the center and that may not be what you want.  I always crop, resize, and do a final print sharpening prior to sending the file.

Mark

Voleema
Like?
In reply to ppage, Nov 7, 2012

Peter,

That is an excellent and very helpful article! Thanks so much!

Voleema
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Nov 7, 2012

My problem exactly, Mark!

Diseewise
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Nov 9, 2012

Thank you, your reply helped my major question this morning for submitting an image to a Photo Magazine -

so manged to change image easily to 300dpi

and as a result have now become a new member to DPREVIEW

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads