D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions
KG2002
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
Nov 4, 2012

Just to report that good working D800s do come to Canada once in a while after all. I almost gave up when I had to go through 3 unit all with the same Left AF issue. Old batch, new batch - didn't matter. Finally found a unit with 50076xx S/N which works great. I did see people reporting here same S/N as defective so I suppose the batch is irrelevant or S/N is not representing when the unit was manufactured.

Interesting fact - my local dealer has contacted Nikon after I returned 3 units and as expected Nikon was in denial the issue exists. Nikon also has directed my dealer not to exchange cameras any longer but rather to send to Nikon for under warrant repair. We've settled on refund as I refused to accept a defective product and had a better luck at different store. I actually have a feeling they are not happy with Nikon position either.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to KG2002, Nov 4, 2012

KG2002 wrote:

Finally found a unit with 50076xx S/N which works great.

I'm also in Canada and recently purchased a D800E with a serial number in the 5002xxx range that appears to be within spec.

 The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marinaside
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to KG2002, Nov 4, 2012

KG2002 wrote:

Just to report that good working D800s do come to Canada once in a while after all. I almost gave up when I had to go through 3 unit all with the same Left AF issue. Old batch, new batch - didn't matter. Finally found a unit with 50076xx S/N which works great. I did see people reporting here same S/N as defective so I suppose the batch is irrelevant or S/N is not representing when the unit was manufactured.

Interesting fact - my local dealer has contacted Nikon after I returned 3 units and as expected Nikon was in denial the issue exists. Nikon also has directed my dealer not to exchange cameras any longer but rather to send to Nikon for under warrant repair. We've settled on refund as I refused to accept a defective product and had a better luck at different store. I actually have a feeling they are not happy with Nikon position either.

What store did you order from?

 marinaside's gear list:marinaside's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JBP
JBP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to The Andy G, Nov 4, 2012

The Andy G wrote:

KG2002 wrote:

Finally found a unit with 50076xx S/N which works great.

I'm also in Canada and recently purchased a D800E with a serial number in the 5002xxx range that appears to be within spec.

From what I have heard the D800E's were not affected by the left focus issue, I stand to be corrected  though.

-- hide signature --

35 to 4 x 5 - NPS Member

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kcyuen
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to KG2002, Nov 4, 2012

Thanks for the update. I now wonder if it'll be easier to find a good D800e than a good D800. Can you let us know which store you got that from at the end?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KG2002
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to kcyuen, Nov 4, 2012

kcyuen wrote:

Thanks for the update. I now wonder if it'll be easier to find a good D800e than a good D800. Can you let us know which store you got that from at the end?

The 3 deffective ones were from Henry's.Excellent service by the way. Not their fault the cameras had issues. Got the working one from Future Shop. Surprisingly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to KG2002, Nov 5, 2012

Maybe you forgot to set it to metric mode?  Camera doesn't measure distance to subject properly otherwise...

 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to KG2002, Nov 5, 2012

KG2002 wrote:

kcyuen wrote:

Thanks for the update. I now wonder if it'll be easier to find a good D800e than a good D800. Can you let us know which store you got that from at the end?

The 3 deffective ones were from Henry's.Excellent service by the way. Not their fault the cameras had issues. Got the working one from Future Shop. Surprisingly.

I feel sorry for the dealers, especially the smaller franchises.  They'e stuck between a rock and trying to keep loyal customers from being ripped off.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VINAPIX
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: D800 in Canada - went though 4 units before found a good one
In reply to KG2002, Nov 6, 2012

I had a similar experience with a vendor in Mississauga. The last one I got from them has serial number 5010XXX and it too have the left focus aligment issue. I don't think there is a higher serial number around Toronto. All the one at Futureshop has serial number in the 5007XXX range. I have to say the customer service at this Mississauga store is top notch. They returned my money after trying hard to find me a good one.

I noticed all the D800 boxes at Future Shop are open. You can tell the box corners are all worn and the plastic wrap inside is all wrinkled.

There is a Consumer Protection Act in Ontario that prevent stores from selling defective products. Like KG2002 said, if they tell you to send it to Nikon for adjustment then the product is considered defective.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads