how do you clean your lenses?

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions
john enea
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
how do you clean your lenses?
Nov 2, 2012

I searched and most of the results are about photoshop cleaning of images (yes in the lens forum)  -(

I do take them in to keeble and shukat once a year for a pro cleaning, but i'm talking about on the spot on the shot cleaning. I usually just breathe on the lens and wipe in a circular motion with a fresh microfiber cloth. Are there any other ways that could be better that I'm missing?

thanks

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: how do you clean your lenses?
In reply to john enea, Nov 2, 2012

Wth water on a wash rag, and then dry with a cotton towel.  Yes, I do that contrary to what everybody thinks it is a bad idea.  I'm talking about my expensive 70-200mm and 300mm lens, not just the cheap 50mm lens.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,426Gear list
Like?

john enea wrote:

I searched and most of the results are about photoshop cleaning of images (yes in the lens forum) -(

I do take them in to keeble and shukat once a year for a pro cleaning, but i'm talking about on the spot on the shot cleaning. I usually just breathe on the lens and wipe in a circular motion with a fresh microfiber cloth. Are there any other ways that could be better that I'm missing?

thanks

As little as possible

I am much more inclined to leave a bit of dust on a lens rather than scrub the surface.  Dust on the lens won't show in images at all, but scratching the lens or (eventually) rubbing off the coatings would be much worse.

When I do clean them, I do the same as you.

Also note that I leave lens hoods on almost 100% of the time; this prevents most of the possibilities for dirt (kiddy fingers, windblown dust, etc).

Cheers

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,157
Like?

1) Air blower (rocket blower or ear bulb blower, not compressed air) for the light stuff

2) ROR lens cleaner (the best there is, bar none) with a clean/new microfiber cloth when I need to get smudges or residue (or bird droppings, etc) off.

-m

flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,129Gear list
Like?
Blower and Lenspen....

As per the big one

plus

Blower, Lenspen Brush, Lenspen Pad when needed. Unless I did not put a protective filter on (when in a harsh environment), then I use a Blower, lenspen Brush then gentle wipe with distilled water and micro fiber cloth then Lenspen Pad if needed( usually is after water wash to get rid of smears.

Also have used lenspen pad on sensor dust (not oil where I use pec pads and solvents)

Lenses/coatings are tougher than most people think. I always have a lenscap on unless I'm taking a shot or two.

-- hide signature --

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,020
Like?
Re: Blower and Lenspen....
In reply to flbrit, Nov 2, 2012

Pentax Micro fibre cloth.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810Gear list
Like?
In reply to john enea, Nov 3, 2012

I never clean them.  If they get dirty I dump them and buy new ones. 

If it will not blow off I use a PEC pad and cleaning solution, but I generally keep the caps on, so they do not get too dirty in the first place.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
adamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
In reply to user_name, Nov 3, 2012

I don't clean them. I just clean the NC filter which is always attached. I use the air blower every time after shooting and before putting back a lens cap on. This way I don't have to use a microfiber cloth often to remove collected dust after longer period of use.

adamba's gear list:adamba's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
hewhosculpts
Contributing MemberPosts: 815Gear list
Like?

I guess I'm old school because I start out with a brush...

hewhosculpts's gear list:hewhosculpts's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
ata3001
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?
In reply to hewhosculpts, Nov 3, 2012

Dishwasher, but use Calgon to eliminate the water spots, lol.....

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
Mr Fartleberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to ata3001, Nov 3, 2012

The question is, how dirty do they get. Different procedures for different problems.

-- hide signature --

Sold the (old) half-frame from Thailand. Bought a 700 under my own personal stimulus plan.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,089Gear list
Like?

We all have our own methods.   How about looking at what a pro shop does?   Lensrentals cleans every lens and camera when it is returned from customers, and that equipment tends to be treated rougher than average.    They posted a nice description of the way they clean things, the equipment and supplies they use and why:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,051
Like?

I normally carry a "Rocket Blower" in my camera bag, that's for both sensor cleaning and some times for lens,  I shoot with primes for the most part and change lens any time anywhere when I feel like, whether that's in a hotel shooting reception, on the street shooting parades, hiking in the wood.....most of the time the blower will take care of it but sometimes if I see something stuck and can't be blown off, if I am home, I will use the regular lens cleaning cloth to wipe it, and if I am out in the field which I don't normally carry all the cleaning stuffs, I just use pretty much anything I have, tissues, T-shirt, the front element is not as fragile as most people made it sounded like, I don't use any UV filter for protection either, it's pretty cheap to replace the front element even if I actually damaged it, front element is actually pretty hard to get scratched, unless you hit some hard and sharp object,  it's highly unlikely you will damage it from cleaning it unless you use some sand paper, both myself and some of my working pro friends have had front element replaced on varies different lens, the repair cost is dirt cheap compare to the price of the lens itself, so really got nothing to worry about,  the last one I remember is my friend had his 70-200 2.8 IS front element replace for little under $200 or $250, he bumped his lens into some other photographer's camera while we are all fighting for a good spot one time when we covered the local event, the front glass actually cracked, and it cost even less for my 135L few years ago when I sent it in to have front element replaced.

Arree
Senior MemberPosts: 1,485Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, Nov 3, 2012

For dust: a blower

For overal cleaning: a soft cloth

For fat fingerprints: a lenscleanpen

After i come home from a shooting I let my camera "breath", after 30 minuts I clean everything with a towel, Moose peterson is using this method, and it works great.

Arree's gear list:Arree's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
overniteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 572
Like?
In reply to Arree, Nov 3, 2012

Blow off the dust/dirt. A little ROR on a lens tissue in a soft circular motion. One more wipe with a lens tissue for a shine.

Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
Lens Pen

john enea wrote:

I searched and most of the results are about photoshop cleaning of images (yes in the lens forum) -(

thanks

I rarely clean them, if there is some dust on the front element I will usually use a lens pen, if it is persistant I will breath on the lens front element and use the pad of the lens pen carefully.

Mark

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,768Gear list
Like?

Nikon's guidance https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965/kw/Lens%20cleaning

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads