Importing images, Lightroom or Bridge.?

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions
Guy 2
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Importing images, Lightroom or Bridge.?
Nov 2, 2012

This may sound like a silly question but could I ask your opinions on if it is better to import images from cards on your pc via Lightroom or Adobe Bridge,? I currently use LR4 and have Bridge 6 but I always use LR. I wondered if there was any real advantage in using either software to import images. I currently import a fair few images over a year, (many thousands) and rely on date order and naming of files to re-find them.

This has worked ok so far but wondered if I should be doing something differently, so your suggestion would be welcome. I guess thinking ahead when I "clock my cloggs" someone may need to go through all my images. So should I be making it easier for them from now on.?

Thanks for your time. Guy

Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?
Re: Importing images, Lightroom or Bridge.?
In reply to Guy 2, Nov 2, 2012

I have never used Bridge, only LR4 and Photoshop Elements Organiser, but I would be surprised if they don't have basically the same functionality (LR and PSE Organiser certainly do). So really it is down to your preference re the user interface. I assume Bride allows you to organise, tag photos, create collections...?

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,463Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy 2, Nov 3, 2012

Guy 2 wrote:

This may sound like a silly question but could I ask your opinions on if it is better to import images from cards on your pc via Lightroom or Adobe Bridge,? I currently use LR4 and have Bridge 6 but I always use LR. I wondered if there was any real advantage in using either software to import images. I currently import a fair few images over a year, (many thousands) and rely on date order and naming of files to re-find them.

This has worked ok so far but wondered if I should be doing something differently, so your suggestion would be welcome. I guess thinking ahead when I "clock my cloggs" someone may need to go through all my images. So should I be making it easier for them from now on.?

Personally I find Bridge to be a mess in comparison to Lightroom.  I couldn't imagine importing w/Bridge now.  Maybe if I had used Bridge first then went to Lightroom I'd see things differently.

Mark

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,803Gear list
Like?

I use LR and have never tried Bridge for importing images.

One thing I do suggest is adding keywords when you import images.  Between key words, a good filing system (i.e year, date & subject, etc.), flags, colors, and ratings it becomes easy to sort and find images.

Being able to do all of the above is why I use and love LR.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?

By "importing images" do you mean from the card to the computer? or from the computer to the Lightroom catalog?

I've never used Bridge for importing either way. When I first got Lightroom it wanted to do the download as soon as I put the card in the reader but I turned that off.

For importing from the card to the computer I use Downloader Pro. I'm sure there are lots of similar programs out there. This program allows me to change the name of the file so I'm not working with DSC_4932 type stuff. I can work with a file with a real descriptive name. It makes it so much easier to find things later and someone else will know immediately what the image subject is.

You can do this in Lightroom to some extent now (I didn't know how to do this when I started using Downloader Pro) but since I have a workflow that works for me I haven't changed it. I looked at that a year or two ago but decided to stick with what I have for some reason I've now forgotten.

Not only does DPro allow me to put a descriptive name on the file it sends it to a folder with the same name as a subfolder of the year the photo was taken. Additional organizational stuff there.

Then first thing I do after using the program is to copy all the files to my backup disk.

When I then import the images to Lightroom I make sure to add tags to all the images describing the subject. The next step in my workflow is to reject the duds (out of focus, shots of my foot, things like that), then add additional tags to individual photos identifying features not common to all the shots (people's names, locations, other stuff like that). After that I can do whatever editing is necessary, and do the final selection.

When that's all done I backup everything again so I have the .XMP files with the Lightroom edit info included.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Robert J. Gonzalez
Senior MemberPosts: 1,173Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy 2, Nov 13, 2012

How about, "Via the operating system?"

Just dump your images into folders.

Guy 2 wrote:

Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list:Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,463Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert J. Gonzalez, Nov 13, 2012

Robert J. Gonzalez wrote:

If the OP is using Lightroom to do the initial conversion & editing, it makes the most sense to import through Lightroom.  Otherwise, using the operating system and then going to LR will be double work since LR requires the photos to be imported into the catalog.  Import through LR once and be done.

Mark

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,525Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert J. Gonzalez, Nov 13, 2012

Exactly, that's what I do. Download to the computer and then decide where you want them. But it's interesting here that everyone hates Bridge. I tend to agree, although i have just started using CS6 and have tried the latest Bridge and it's not too bad, mini bridge can be quite useful if your are doing loads with PS as I do.

Jules

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,433Gear list
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Nov 16, 2012

If you have both, use Lightroom for importing images and data management. That is its role in the Adobe world. Bridge can do similar things but not as well as Lightroom. Most folks I know who have both never use Bridge.  (I haven't opened Bridge in two years.)

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
sledzik102
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Nov 25, 2012

As a wedding photographer my vote is for Lightroom.

http://www.bestdreamphotography.biz/

Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?
In reply to sledzik102, Nov 25, 2012

I actually prefer to sort my images in Bridge and get rid of the obvious rejects before importing to the LR catalog. I also like the fact the Bridge respects folders, which I use to segregate files for use outside of LR.

If I were dealing with tens of hundreds of files I'd probably be using Photo Mechanic for the initial culling and sorting, certainly not LR.

http://thephotobrigade.com/2012/05/workflow-by-ryan-lasek/

Timzee
Contributing MemberPosts: 855
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Nov 25, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

Exactly, that's what I do. Download to the computer and then decide where you want them. But it's interesting here that everyone hates Bridge. I tend to agree, although i have just started using CS6 and have tried the latest Bridge and it's not too bad, mini bridge can be quite useful if your are doing loads with PS as I do.

Jules

Same here-- drag/drop with Windows Explorer then import into LR. Simpler and avoids some potential "got-cha's" going the LR import route. Of course if you're locked in to a LR workflow and take advantage of some of the features when importing, that will work fine.

I'll chime in and agree with the Bridge detractors. But they're such fundamentally different programs as Bridge is basically a file browser and LR a database system, I don't think a comparison is all that useful.

Robert J. Gonzalez
Like?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 26, 2012

Timzee wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Jules

Same here-- drag/drop with Windows Explorer then import into LR. Simpler and avoids some potential "got-cha's" going the LR import route. Of course if you're locked in to a LR workflow and take advantage of some of the features when importing, that will work fine.

I'll chime in and agree with the Bridge detractors. But they're such fundamentally different programs as Bridge is basically a file browser and LR a database system, I don't think a comparison is all that useful.

LR is a workflow system that uses a database.

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
mr645
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
In reply to Guy 2, Nov 26, 2012

I use Bridge.  Lightroom does not work over a network and really does not seem to do much that Bridge and ACR don't already do. I already have a well organized system to store all of my images and 2 servers with RAID cards and 8 2 TB drives.  Bridge works great in a busy, multi user studio environment.  I think of it like Lightroom is great for hobbyiests, not too busy Pro's but Bridge can handle a lot more.

Timzee
Like?
In reply to Robert J. Gonzalez, Nov 27, 2012

Not to put too fine a point on it, but both LR and Bridge-- or for that matter any software program out there-- necessarily implies some kind of workflow.

Timzee
Like?
In reply to mr645, Nov 27, 2012

mr645 wrote:

I think of it like Lightroom is great for hobbyiests, not too busy Pro's but Bridge can handle a lot more.

Could not possibly disagree more-- just flat out wrong.

LR can do everything Bridge or ACR can do, and much, much more. I can't imagine trying to work with the thousands of images I do without a system such as LR.

Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 27, 2012

Timzee wrote:
 I can't imagine trying to work with the thousands of images I do without a system such as LR.

I can't imagine working on thousands of images with Lightroom, at least not if they were all from rescent sessions and I had deadlines to meet. See previous comments about Photo Mechanic.

Having said that, I do have my photos cataloged in LR, but my usage is recreational and not professional.

Timzee
Like?
In reply to Ho72, Nov 27, 2012

Ho72 wrote:

Timzee wrote:
I can't imagine trying to work with the thousands of images I do without a system such as LR.

I can't imagine working on thousands of images with Lightroom, at least not if they were all from rescent sessions and I had deadlines to meet. See previous comments about Photo Mechanic.

Having said that, I do have my photos cataloged in LR, but my usage is recreational and not professional.

Fair enough. If that works for you, great.

For me, I can return from a shoot, import several hundred images into LR, do a quick cull, then sort & rate, do basic adjustments, rename all images, put up a www gallery for client to view in about an hour or less. All without ever touching Photoshop or ACR.

Of course everyone's workflow is different. Not saying this applies in your case, but most of the LR detractor's comments I read are coming from those not that well versed in the feature set available.

Robert J. Gonzalez
Like?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 27, 2012

Timzee wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but both LR and Bridge-- or for that matter any software program out there-- necessarily implies some kind of workflow.

Sure, but to call lightroom a database is to imply that being a database is it's function.

It isn't.

Robert J. Gonzalez
Like?
In reply to mr645, Nov 27, 2012

mr645 wrote:

I use Bridge. Lightroom does not work over a network and really does not seem to do much that Bridge and ACR don't already do. I already have a well organized system to store all of my images and 2 servers with RAID cards and 8 2 TB drives. Bridge works great in a busy, multi user studio environment. I think of it like Lightroom is great for hobbyiests, not too busy Pro's but Bridge can handle a lot more.

Lightroom works fine over a network, it just won't let you open a catalog that's on a network drive.

If you use the subst statement to make an alias for the network drive, it will work that way too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads