Day 2: A99 vs A900 - high ISO

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229
Like?
Re: Two action shots
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Nov 3, 2012

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

Not super high ISO (only 1600) but still showing fine grain even after sharpening applied.

Great pics!Nice focus on the head.Looking at the EXIF,I assume this is AF-C.Have you had a chance to try the AF-D yet?If so,how do you think it stacks up against your 7D.I would be interested in your impressions.Thanks.

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to robert614, Nov 3, 2012

Have you had a chance to try the AF-D yet?If so,how do you think it stacks up against your 7D.I would be interested in your impressions.Thanks.

Hi Robert, indeed I used AF-C. A99 currently don't support AF-D for my 70-200G (due next year). As far as focusing performance wise, my brief impression is that A99 not as quick & reliable as 7D, not even close, but better than A900 that's for sure. I still need more time to get a good grip of its AF system, will report more.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229
Like?

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

Have you had a chance to try the AF-D yet?If so,how do you think it stacks up against your 7D.I would be interested in your impressions.Thanks.

Hi Robert, indeed I used AF-C. A99 currently don't support AF-D for my 70-200G (due next year). As far as focusing performance wise, my brief impression is that A99 not as quick & reliable as 7D, not even close, but better than A900 that's for sure. I still need more time to get a good grip of its AF system, will report more.

Thanks for the reply.I thought you also had a 70400g,which is why I asked if you tried the AF-D mode.Anyways,I look forward to some more impressions later.

Robert

whtchocla7e
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
Re: Day 2: A99 vs A900 - high ISO

Thanks for the comparison.

The A900 looks much better at high iso to my eyes... preserves much more detail.

GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?

What is the  -1,3 EV in the 6400 shot of the a900? Exposure compensation in the raw program or in the camera settings? And does it mean that the a99 is less sensitive at 6400 ISO?

The a900 shots have more detail, contrast and are a little bit lighter. With some tweaking in the raw convertor the a900 3200 iso could be very close to the result of the a99, regarding detail and noise.

Aberoni
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
Re: That is one fine Whisky...
In reply to newday, Nov 3, 2012

newday wrote:

Thank you for sharing these. I have loads of Sony/Minolta gear, but I am seriously considering to get a Nikon(600 or 800) because I am so tired of the bad high ISO performance.

-- hide signature --

--

I am also get tired of the people here who keep whining about the ISO performance of the Sony gears, especially the A99.   Anyone stops you shifting to Nikon?

**Things may be named,but names are not the things.**

Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
In reply to GuyMcKie, Nov 3, 2012

GuyMcKie wrote:

What is the -1,3 EV in the 6400 shot of the a900? Exposure compensation in the raw program or in the camera settings? And does it mean that the a99 is less sensitive at 6400 ISO?

Good catch! For some reason A900 over exposed before I dialed down EV-1.3 (hightlight brownout). My pet theory is that 6400 is the last scale at expended ISO range, sensor is no longer reliable at this level, while A99 sensor behaved as should.

The a900 shots have more detail, contrast and are a little bit lighter. With some tweaking in the raw convertor the a900 3200 iso could be very close to the result of the a99, regarding detail and noise.

Obviously my Minolta 50/1.7 has focus shift issue on different body. On A900 the focus is more on toy bird while on A99 focus shifted toward bottle.

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
another ISO 6400 shot...

at Apple Store (all the iPad mini were sold out).

oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Nov 3, 2012

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

I agree - looks like more/stronger on-chip NR going on with the a99?

It's either that or due to the SLT mirror and/or stronger AA filter assuming these were shot from a tripod. The red's of the birds chest is loosing a lot of detail in the A99 shot. A900 shot has more contrast, but is still maintaining much better detail in the reds. Due to the way the reds in the chest look, I would suspect on chip chroma NR is at play here.

Rand 47
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
In reply to oklaphotog, Jul 8, 2013

I'm glad I added another new a900 to my system rather than an a99 (not an EVF lover).  I'm surprised by the better detail rendering of the 900, and noise is easily handled these days in PP.  Thanks for the comparison.

Rand

Derbarrett
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
In reply to Rand 47, Jul 8, 2013

Rand 47 wrote:

I'm glad I added another new a900 to my system rather than an a99 (not an EVF lover). I'm surprised by the better detail rendering of the 900, and noise is easily handled these days in PP. Thanks for the comparison.

Rand

I own two a99's and one a850...and I can definitively say that the a99 outperforms the a850/a900 by at least 1.5-2 stops at high ISO (ISO 1600+)... easy!

Rand 47
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
In reply to Derbarrett, Jul 8, 2013

Derbarrett wrote:

Rand 47 wrote:

I'm glad I added another new a900 to my system rather than an a99 (not an EVF lover). I'm surprised by the better detail rendering of the 900, and noise is easily handled these days in PP. Thanks for the comparison.

Rand

I own two a99's and one a850...and I can definitively say that the a99 outperforms the a850/a900 by at least 1.5-2 stops at high ISO (ISO 1600+)... easy!

No argument from me on that. I don't think I've shot above 400 with my a900s in the last three years.

When I do need high ISO, I don't use Sony.

Rand

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads