Day 2: A99 vs A900 - high ISO

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
Day 2: A99 vs A900 - high ISO
Nov 2, 2012

It's a well known secrete that A900 can handle decent high ISO noise (up to 3200) if you shoot RAW. One of the biggest improvement A99 has over A900 is the better noise handling. Just how much better? I did some unscientific test and to my eyes, it's about 1-1.5 stop better. It might not sound much but in real life that means you can more than double shutter speed, extremely useful for long lens users. Here are the test images and various 100% crop (straight from RAW without any NR). Identical setting for both cameras, full manual exposure.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bart7D
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,829Gear list
Like?
Re: Day 2: A99 vs A900 - high ISO
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Nov 2, 2012

For what I see in these pictures the noise is handled better on the A99, but the fine detail and contrast is better in the A900 series.

Thanks for posting your test images here!

Bart

Bart7D's gear list:Bart7D's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bart7D, Nov 2, 2012

Bart7D wrote:

For what I see in these pictures the noise is handled better on the A99, but the fine detail and contrast is better in the A900 series.

Thanks for posting your test images here!

Bart

I agree - looks like more/stronger on-chip NR going on with the a99?

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 +1 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Nov 2, 2012

I don't think A99 has NR applied to RAW files (unlike Pentax). Also the grains are finer, less colour noise too.

Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

I don't think A99 has NR applied to RAW files (unlike Pentax). Also the grains are finer, less colour noise too.

I thought almost all current CMOS sensors have some on-chip NR applied to raw but I am willing to stan corrected if I am wrong...

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 +1 more
philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?

The A900's could probably look a bit better if you worked on the contrast of the noise,

But clearly, even if you look at the details, it's about a Stop difference in some of the underlying detail.

Considering the SLT light loss, that's quite impressive.

Would you be able to upload say the A900 ISO6400 RAW? I'd like to see if the noise profile could be subdued without losing much detail..?

Ralf B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,979Gear list
Like?
That is one fine Whisky...

... in your selection of test targets!

Thanks for sharing this comparison, as an a900 owner this is quite interesting.
But that whisky - wow:

Ardbeg Supernova

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
newday
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: That is one fine Whisky...
In reply to Ralf B, Nov 2, 2012

Thank you for sharing these. I have loads of Sony/Minolta gear, but I am seriously considering to get a Nikon(600 or 800) because I am so tired of the bad high ISO performance.

The A99 looks interesting, I really like the swivel screen for video and studio work. But I need a camera with good high ISO performance.

The other thing missing is a built in Intervalometer for time-lapse. But maybe they could add this with a software update.

Bart7D
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,829Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ralf B, Nov 2, 2012

Try to stay on topic, Ralf! Keep clear, see clear... 

(The Ardbeg is out of stock anyway...)

Bart

Bart7D's gear list:Bart7D's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +11 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
In reply to philbot, Nov 2, 2012

philbot wrote:

Would you be able to upload say the A900 ISO6400 RAW? I'd like to see if the noise profile could be subdued without losing much detail..?

I don't know how to upload RAW file to DPR gallery. These are crops are considered "RAW" quality (strait RAW to jpeg conversion, no modification, no NR).

Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
In reply to newday, Nov 2, 2012

I would say A99 is very similar to D600 interms of noise handling. There are two church interior RAW image posted online with ISO 6400 from both cameras, I can easily make them look the same.

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,864
Like?

Looks interesting.

Any chance we could see the RAW files?

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,095Gear list
Like?
Some one go shooot real life high ISo like a school play or football (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
In reply to Bart7D, Nov 2, 2012

Bart7D wrote:

Try to stay on topic, Ralf! Keep clear, see clear...

(The Ardbeg is out of stock anyway...)

Bart

Off topic: actually you can get both 1999 and 2000 release from London Whisky Exchange. 1999 release is suppose to be better.

remylebeau
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?

Nice comparisons thanks for the doing the testing.

remylebeau's gear list:remylebeau's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX +9 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, Nov 2, 2012

johnbee wrote:

Looks interesting.

If I can figure out how to upload RAW file to DPR I would. These crops are pretty much as "authentic" as RAW since all I did was strait conversion no NR or any other modification.

philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?

johnbee wrote:

Looks interesting.

If I can figure out how to upload RAW file to DPR I would. These crops are pretty much as "authentic" as RAW since all I did was strait conversion no NR or any other modification.

Yeah, probably too much hassle..  It's just I've found the 'straight' conversions can differ quite a bit between camera's, it looks like the sharpness is way higher or something is causing much higher contrast noise, I'm sure it could be reduced.

But it's not worth the hassle, the detail under the noise is clearly less, and that's the important thing here.. I'm still shocked at the leap in performance Sony have made with their FF sensor.

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,864
Like?

johnbee wrote:

Looks interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/

http://www.filedropper.com/

http://wikisend.com/

There is also the option of uploading the files to an FTP server if you are familiar with this.

That being said, there seem to be variances between the samples in terms of processing and shooting. ie, the A99 image seems soft or perhaps OOF. Which is not consistent with the comparison images on Imaging Resource. That being said, at this point, I'd say the results depend greatly on OOC NR and processing which makes it very hard to peer through and assess the overall IQ of each sensor.

tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,929Gear list
Like?
Mmmmm, tasty whisky. A900 not too bad! /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +17 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
Two action shots
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Nov 3, 2012

Not super high ISO (only 1600) but still showing fine grain even after sharpening applied.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads