Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 Demonstration

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,640Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 Demonstration
Nov 2, 2012

This video shows a demonstration of the new Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 lens. Warning: Lot's of cat pictures because quite simply "I like cats and they show a lot of detail".

35-100mm Demonstration video

It is an expensive but very versatile lens. I received mine from samys.com today. The lens is exceptionally sharp even wide open at F2.8. The 35-100mm has in lens image stabilization that as you can see in the video works extremely well in both stills and video modes.
This lens is not that much longer and actually narrower than the 14-140mm. The weights really are not that much different either. However, the 35-100mm has about 2 stops advantage over the 14-140mm across its focal range.
The 35-100mm is par-focal so it maintains its focus as you zoom. However, the 14-140mm is par-focal as well.
I haven't seen any of the stepped aperture issues that plagued the 12-35mm F2.8 lens. However, I have not been able to fully test that yet. In addition I have not seen in CA(Chromatic Aberrations) or other distortions with this lens. The image quality of it is unmatched by any other m4/3s I have tested. This is expected with a lens this expensive though.
The 35-100mm lens emits very faint whirring and whining noises from the continuous auto focus motors. They are faint but you can hear them if you put your ear up next to the lens. I couldn't hear the noises in any of the videos I took.
The auto focus with the GH2 + 35-100mm is extremely accurate and it does not hunt at all. However, it can be slow to refocus in very dark situations where the focus point changes very quickly.

35-100mm F2.8 Wide Open

35-100mm F2.8 @ F3.2

14-140mm Wide Open

Image Stabilization OFF

Image Stabilization On

Album of pictures link

Let me know if there are any other things you want to know about the lens. I am extremly happy with it. I know its price will steer most people away. However, for me it is the ideal lens. I will be selling off not only my 14-140mm lens but also my 45mm F1.8 lens as well.

Since I do a lot of video I need IS in the lens for these focal lengths so the 45mm F1.8 is not as useful to me.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
g_r_w
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Re: Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 Demonstration
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Nov 2, 2012

Oh no - not with the cats!  Just kidding, love cats, got two of my own - plus whiskers and fur are great "measures" of sharpness and detail.

Can't agree more about this lens.  It is by no means inexpensive, but I think worth the money that you put down for it - others' perception of value may vary.

It can also be "challenged" unlike the 14-140 or 100-300 which don't seem to handle challenging circumstances well simply due to lack of speed.

It is also solidly built without being heavy.

Not sure it is enough to make me sell my 45 1.8 yet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Like?
In reply to g_r_w, Nov 2, 2012

I really never thought this lens would make me want to sell the 45mm F1.8 as well. However, it has done just that. It is not that I think the 35-100mm F2.8 is better than the 45mm. It is just that they are both high quality and the 35-100mm covers that focal range very well.

Sure I would like to have the F1.8 at 45mm. However, I would much rather shoot portraits at 70mm F2.8 and I absolutely must have IS for videos at 45mm and beyond.

I just can't see myself taking off the 35-100mm F2.8 in order to swap it out for the 45mm. I doubt other people are in the same situation as me though. Most people don't shoot as much video as I do.

I absolutely love the 35-100mm lens. It is really sharp wide open and it is not as big or heavy as I thought it was going to be. I also think that the internal zoom is an often overlooked feature.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
BushmanOrig
Senior MemberPosts: 2,871Gear list
Like?

The sky seem to have a purplish color cast......is that correct? What camera?

-- hide signature --

Community of Photographers
www.photographyisfun.ch

BushmanOrig's gear list:BushmanOrig's gear list
Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Olympus E-M1 +14 more
mpgxsvcd
Like?
In reply to BushmanOrig, Nov 2, 2012

BushmanOrig wrote:

The sky seem to have a purplish color cast......is that correct? What camera?

-- hide signature --

Community of Photographers
www.photographyisfun.ch

It was just the editing I did in those pictures. I was checking the dynamic range so I probably pushed the photos more than I should have. I am not very good at editing photos because I shoot out of camera jpgs most of the time.

mpgxsvcd
Like?

I just tested and verified that the 35-100mm F2.8 lens is a continuous aperture adjustment lens. The 12-35mm lens does not have continuous aperture adjustment so there are "steps" in the exposure as you zoom. The 35-100mm does not exhibit this problem.

If you really want good videos then look no further than the 35-100mm. I would rate it as an essential lens for anyone doing AF videos.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,249
Like?
Lets wait for controlled testing ...

... before making any conclusions, because these test images don't look good at all: low contrast and soft (probably misfocused), with visible CA.

mpgxsvcd
Like?
Re: Lets wait for controlled testing ...
In reply to forpetessake, Nov 2, 2012

forpetessake wrote:

... before making any conclusions, because these test images don't look good at all: low contrast and soft (probably misfocused), with visible CA.

They were all shot with the intent of stress testing the lens. I was going for the shallowest depth of field and in the lowest light. The cat pictures have too shallow of a depth of field and they were all taken with sunlit back lighting to see what the dynamic range of the GH2 really is in preparation for the GH3 testing that I want to do at the end of the month.

Not sure which pictures you are seeing a lot of CA in though. There is some. However, the 35-100mm has a lot less CA than the 14-140mm does. I left it uncorrected so you could see what would happen on Olympus cameras that are not supposed to auto correct for it.

I am taking a ton of sporting event pictures this weekend. I will take those with the intent of just getting a good overall image. Those will also have people in them and they will all be of high action sports(Horseback Riding, Professional Freestyle BMX Park, and a Running Race).

pablolie
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?

Congratulations - it is a fantastic lens. I do however it is pricey for a 2.8, but the optical quality clearly is a amazing. If it was a 2.0 I'd snap it up in a second. For now I work it with my old trusty OM 135:2.8. But I am definitely very tempted... but can't justify it after just having snapped up the 70:1.8 and 25:1.4 in the last 3 months...

pablolie's gear list:pablolie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Lets wait for controlled testing ...
In reply to forpetessake, Nov 2, 2012

forpetessake wrote:

Roger Cicala from LensRentals.com tested it recently. Good at 35mm, but not as good as he hoped at 100mm, softens starting from 70mm. Still better than other zooms.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
mpgxsvcd
Like?
In reply to pablolie, Nov 2, 2012

pablolie wrote:

Congratulations - it is a fantastic lens. I do however it is pricey for a 2.8, but the optical quality clearly is a amazing. If it was a 2.0 I'd snap it up in a second. For now I work it with my old trusty OM 135:2.8. But I am definitely very tempted... but can't justify it after just having snapped up the 70:1.8 and 25:1.4 in the last 3 months...

One important thing to remember is that you can't use even F2.8 in bright sunlight without a filter because the cameras only go upto 1/4000th or slower.

It will be really nice when the GH3 comes out because in electronic shutter mode it should be able to do ISO 125 and faster than 1/4000th shutter speed. That means you won't have to use a filter anymore outside even for pictures at F2.8 and wider apertures.

pablolie
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?

mpgxsvcd wrote:

One important thing to remember is that you can't use even F2.8 in bright sunlight without a filter because the cameras only go upto 1/4000th or slower.

It will be really nice when the GH3 comes out because in electronic shutter mode it should be able to do ISO 125 and faster than 1/4000th shutter speed. That means you won't have to use a filter anymore outside even for pictures at F2.8 and wider apertures.

A feature I really like in the XZ-1 is the ND Filter build into the camera itself. It allows you to shoot open in daylight - and I would like to have that in my m43 cameras as well, so I can truly use the bright lenses in daylight without carrying ND filters around.

pablolie's gear list:pablolie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,336Gear list
Like?

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I've not seen anything that indicates the electronic shutter can go faster than 1/400th.  Do you have a link to that info?

-- hide signature --

OM-D for sale; see classifieds forum.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
mpgxsvcd
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Nov 4, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I've not seen anything that indicates the electronic shutter can go faster than 1/400th. Do you have a link to that info?

-- hide signature --

OM-D for sale; see classifieds forum.

Sorry I was thinking more of video mode. VK had said that the GH2 electronic shutter mode was just a modified video mode. Looks like the GH3 is different.

Shutter Speed Still Images: 1/4,000 - 60 and Bulb (Approx. 60 minutes)
Motion Images: 1/16,000 - 1/30 (NTSC), 1/16,000 - 1/25 (PAL)

g_r_w
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Nov 4, 2012

I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder per se, but I tend to hold onto lenses based on the idea that they might be useful one day - probably longer than I do find any use for them.

I can't help but think that the 45 is so nice and compact... but then again if you're going even with a 2x prime walk around, you might as well carry the 12-35.  Chances are you'd go with the 45 and something wider.

I have the PL45 as well and I've hardly used it - I keep it based on the "memory" of the images that I did take with it.

I have the 20 and its not seen the light of day since I got the 25.

mpgxsvcd
Like?
In reply to g_r_w, Nov 5, 2012

g_r_w wrote:

I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder per se, but I tend to hold onto lenses based on the idea that they might be useful one day - probably longer than I do find any use for them.

I can't help but think that the 45 is so nice and compact... but then again if you're going even with a 2x prime walk around, you might as well carry the 12-35. Chances are you'd go with the 45 and something wider.

I have the PL45 as well and I've hardly used it - I keep it based on the "memory" of the images that I did take with it.

I have the 20 and its not seen the light of day since I got the 25.

+1

I use my 25mm F1.4 and 35-100mm F2.8 exclusively now. The 14-140mm will be sold shortly and as much as I like the 45mm F1.8 I just can't bare to take the 35-100mm off in favor of the 45mm.

The only spare lens I will keep is the 14mm F2.5 for those times when I really need to go wide and the GoPro won't give me what I want. That actually is really rare. The GoPro 3 Black is the BEST camera for under $400 bar none. It is the best camera purchase I have ever made.

Kornflejk
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Nov 6, 2012

:-Dmpgxsvcd wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4222674355/albums

I love the expression of your cat so much I had to place it as wallpaper on my work station  Great!

mpgxsvcd
Like?
In reply to Kornflejk, Nov 6, 2012

Kornflejk wrote:

:-Dmpgxsvcd wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4222674355/albums

I love the expression of your cat so much I had to place it as wallpaper on my work station Great!

Cool. He really is a great cat. His name is T.V. Yes my son named him that when he was 2.5 years old.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads