Replacement for Canon MP970

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
Replacement for Canon MP970
Oct 31, 2012

My Canon MP970 Multi-Function appears to have died. Looks like the power supply from what I can tell. No lights nothing. Parts will be hard to get and there's no guarantee it's not one of the boards. Unfortunately like most things these days not made to last. I'll look into fixing it but realistically it's time to let it go.

Can anyone recommend a solid replacement? It got sporadic use and was used almost exclusively to print full colour A4 images, mostly for framing, occasionally for laminating or putting in A4 plastic sleeves. Being a 7 colour printer, skin tones were good, it was reasonably fast and reliable. On the other hand I had to lighten everything to print (I am not working in a colour managed environment, and from that I could tell when I tried doing it without tools, the printer was as off as my monitors).

I'd like to keep the budget under $500. I'd also like to run a continuous ink system and would spend an extra $100-$200 on that. I have another multi-function for scanning and photocopying, so a photo printer would suffice.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Sammy Yousef
Like?
Re: Replacement for Canon MP970
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Oct 31, 2012

No one's replaced a Canon 7 ink printer with something they're happy with?

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 11,866
Like?
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Oct 31, 2012

Sammy Yousef wrote:

My Canon MP970 Multi-Function appears to have died. Looks like the power supply from what I can tell. No lights nothing. Parts will be hard to get and there's no guarantee it's not one of the boards. Unfortunately like most things these days not made to last. I'll look into fixing it but realistically it's time to let it go.

Can anyone recommend a solid replacement? It got sporadic use and was used almost exclusively to print full colour A4 images, mostly for framing, occasionally for laminating or putting in A4 plastic sleeves. Being a 7 colour printer, skin tones were good, it was reasonably fast and reliable. On the other hand I had to lighten everything to print (I am not working in a colour managed environment, and from that I could tell when I tried doing it without tools, the printer was as off as my monitors).

I'd like to keep the budget under $500. I'd also like to run a continuous ink system and would spend an extra $100-$200 on that. I have another multi-function for scanning and photocopying, so a photo printer would suffice.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

Not to be sarcastic -- but probably have not within 7 hours.  Give them time to respond

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Oct 31, 2012

If you have enough room for it, I would look for a Canon 9000 mkII on Craigslist for about $100-200. These will print up to 13x19 inch prints, have 8 colors, and you can get inexpensive and excellent 3rd party ink from:

http://stores.ebay.ca/PrecisionColors/Canon-8-Cartridge-Printers-/_i.html?_fsub=12749088&_sid=98545621&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

You should also buy a chip resetter to reactivate a refilled cartridge. A spare set of all cartridges is also a good idea.

This will fit your budget and it gives great photo prints.

Sammy Yousef
Like?
In reply to detectorman, Oct 31, 2012

Thanks for that answer.

I'll take that on board. The 9000 uses some of the same inks I'm using (It is 8 colour, my mp970 is 7 with a non-photo black so I have to buy red and green). I can even get it new.

Unfortunately the cost in Australia is closer to $700, and shipping from the US is over $200 (and effectively the price of shipping it back for repairs means I'd have no warranty).

So while I think I'd love that printer, I don't think it's within my budget.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

Sammy Yousef
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Oct 31, 2012

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Not to be sarcastic -- but probably have not within 7 hours. Give them time to respond

I wasn't trying to be rude or impatient, so I apologise if that's how it sounded. It's my experience that if a question doesn't get a response in 24 hours, it may never get one as newer posts push it off the radar.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Nov 1, 2012

The low prices for the 9000 printer come from rebates given to those who purchase a high-end Canon camera. Some who get the rebates sell the printer new on Craigslist. Check that source in Australia. You might also check the Canon web site or Canon dealers. Look at the other posts about this printer on this forum too for information.

Sammy Yousef
Like?
In reply to detectorman, Nov 1, 2012

detectorman wrote:

The low prices for the 9000 printer come from rebates given to those who purchase a high-end Canon camera. Some who get the rebates sell the printer new on Craigslist. Check that source in Australia. You might also check the Canon web site or Canon dealers. Look at the other posts about this printer on this forum too for information.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads