Sony is at it again this time a Sony Foveon chip.

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions
Robert Garcia NYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047Gear list
Like?
Sony is at it again this time a Sony Foveon chip.
Oct 31, 2012

They seem to be always wanting to get better and giving us what we want.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/next-sony-foveon-alike-patent/

Momotarou
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Re: Sony is at it again this time a Sony Foveon chip.
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, Oct 31, 2012

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

Will this come in a Canon camera?
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Garcia NYC
Like?
In reply to Momotarou, Oct 31, 2012

I doubt it, Canon would have to purchase the chip from Sony. I hope Canon gets in the game they are so far behind. However, they could have something up their sleeve I just hope it's not just more megapixels.

GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,092Gear list
Like?

Trolling for Halloween?

Pathetic.

And yes, I do use Sony. But for IQ my Sony RX100 does not match my G1 X. Not even close.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Momotarou
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

I doubt it, Canon would have to purchase the chip from Sony. I hope Canon gets in the game they are so far behind. However, they could have something up their sleeve I just hope it's not just more megapixels.

They probably do. You do not stay in business this long w/o being innovative. Otherwise, you start looking like R.I.M.

Gwen22
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?
In reply to GaryJP, Oct 31, 2012

GaryJP wrote:

Trolling for Halloween?

Pathetic.

And yes, I do use Sony. But for IQ my Sony RX100 does not match my G1 X. Not even close.

-- hide signature --

The G1X have the same sensor than the EOS7D slighly resized, that is to said a sensor that was already two years old when the G1X was realeased. That's a long time in this buisness.

There is no doubt that when realease it was one of the very best but Canon should think to renew it now as sony's recent sensor are more efficient.

G1X vs RX100 in low light there is no match the canon is a clear winner due to its much bigger sensor , in good light there is no match neither but their the Sony is the winner due to it's better definition and big advantage in dynamic range.

Robert Garcia NYC
Like?
In reply to GaryJP, Oct 31, 2012

GaryJP wrote:

Trolling for Halloween?

Pathetic.

-- hide signature --

No A..hole, I was just keeping those that were maybe interested informed. Not everyone is stuck on Canon and that is from a long long time Canon user here.  I had G1X it was just too big and slow but the image quality was great I prefer the RX100 for speed image quality is a little below so for me it's a way better camera I don't miss shots with it.

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 3,259Gear list
Like?

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

canon's had / has similar patents

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Gwen22
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?
In reply to rrccad, Oct 31, 2012

If Canon and Sony have this kind of patent it mean that this could be the future of the sensor.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Going into several forums and posting the same link, especially going into a Canon forum with a Sony link, is easily interpreted as trolling.  You're informing people of absolutely nothing until there is another camera on the market with a multiple layer imaging sensor that is worth having.  At present, the technology is more gimmick than revolution and Sony is no more a hero of the photographic community than any other manufacturer.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,754
Like?

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

What exactly are Sony giving here. A lot of these patents never get off the drawing board. This does read like something from a marketing agency and detached from reality. It always amuses me how you marketing people never seem to realise just how absurd this hyperbole looks.

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Oct 31, 2012

Greynerd wrote:

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

What exactly are Sony giving here. A lot of these patents never get off the drawing board. This does read like something from a marketing agency and detached from reality. It always amuses me how you marketing people never seem to realise just how absurd this hyperbole looks.

You’d never have believed it was possible. Now all forum visitors can explore the creative possibilities of full-blown hyperbole with press releases that trip easily off your tongue.

The extraordinary new Hyperbole™ BS-1 from Sony realises the dream of photographers everywhere. Just 2 pages A4 (with footnotes), it packs a perfectly crafted press release saying sweet FA into a document that’s perfectly proportioned for all photographers to wipe themselves with.

Far easier to read than any previous marketing document, the Hyperbole™ BS-1 offers superb written quality that’s previously been the domain of high-end professional technical documentation, only without any of the the content. The unified writing style assures razor-sharp alignment of the marketing message with customer expectations. This brings out the full potential of the message to deliver unprecedented on target quality, right to the very edges of each page. Full use of the English language is complemented by effortlessly intuitive use of the Courier Font, making it easy for copywriters to realise their creative vision without sacrificing readability or the need to provide meaningful content.

GaryJP
Like?
In reply to Gwen22, Oct 31, 2012

Gwen22 wrote:

G1X vs RX100 in low light there is no match the canon is a clear winner due to its much bigger sensor , in good light there is no match neither but their the Sony is the winner due to it's better definition and big advantage in dynamic range.

I have both, and that's bs. The advantages my RX100 have are shutter responsiveness and size. Not IQ. The rest is wishful thinking.

(And let's not even get into the crappy JPEG noise reduction).

Apart from which, so far the Foveon chip images I have seen have been sorely disappointing. I don't understand why it's so over-rated.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,019Gear list
Like?
a patent does not mean it exists

You can file a patent on a concept, even a description or a hand drawn sketch.  And it does not have to be physically possible to make nor do you have to actually develop anything with the patent!

PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
In reply to GaryJP, Nov 2, 2012

GaryJP wrote:

Trolling for Halloween?

Pathetic.

-- hide signature --

While I am never, ever arguing that rx100 is better or equal to the g1x, it's also seemed to me that grand claims about the differences comes down to consistent - but very tiny - differences between the two. "not even close" always seems to mean "a really tiny improvement in detail" or "a tiny improvement in dynamic range".

Robert Garcia NYC
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Nov 2, 2012

PaulRivers wrote:

GaryJP wrote:

Trolling for Halloween?

Pathetic.

-- hide signature --

While I am never, ever arguing that rx100 is better or equal to the g1x, it's also seemed to me that grand claims about the differences comes down to consistent - but very tiny - differences between the two. "not even close" always seems to mean "a really tiny improvement in detail" or "a tiny improvement in dynamic range".

So true Paul they are both fine cameras you can't go wrong with either one. It boils down to those small differences and your preference.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, Nov 2, 2012

You've heard the difference between the right word and the wrong word is the difference between lightning and lightning bug?  Depending on your particular set of priorities, there is a very large difference between these two cameras.  It truly is the difference between getting the shot and not getting the shot.  And for photographers getting a shot that you want and missing it is on par with having a camera or not having one.  In other words, having a camera that won't get the shot you want means you might as well not even bother bringing a camera in the first place.  That is not hyperbole.  For example, shooting at night a few weeks ago I was getting tired of carrying around the 7D on a tripod.  I put everything away and then was prented with a shot that I wanted to get before I called it a night, so I put the G1 X on the tripod and got the shot.  The combination was so light and easy to carry I decided to make one more pass and got several more great shots.  Just the difference in weight gave me the energy to get some more great pictures.  There are many times that you might not even take a camera with you because some aspect of it bothers you.  "I'm going to a concert and I know I can't get a decent high ISO pic, so why bother."  Or, on the same note, "I want to take concert pics but they won't let me in with my 7D so I'm out of luck."  My G1 X has come with me on many occasions a cheap point and shoot would have stayed at home and also when my 7D would have been too cumbersome.  Getting the picture Vs. Not getting the picture = very big difference.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
Robert Garcia NYC
Like?
In reply to howardroark, Nov 2, 2012

Howard, the differences I was thinking about were the G1X and RX100 not with the 7D. These are way smaller take with you cameras one has better image quality the other the performance plus back pocket ability. But yes the best camera is the one you got with you and use the most.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to howardroark, Nov 2, 2012

I'm afraid you've missed my point entirely.  The discussion about the 7D was an example, but if I must be blunt I'll be blunt.  It takes very little to make a camera either very useful or very useless.  In one example I used it was weight, but I also mentioned ISO noise and implied image quality by comparing a G1 X to a cheaper point and shoot.  Image quality being a function of lens, sensor, and various other factors (large sensor size allowing for more depth of field, good aperture shape creating more pleasing bokeh, etc.).  The RX100 loses on a few notes for me and those make all the difference in the world.  Everyone has very well defined, but very subtle, boundaries of requirements and preferences.  Those limits are so dramatic that any minor violation is unforgivable.  For some people focus speed is that criteria, and perhaps the RX100 satisfies the speed requirement for some.  The interface or even the articulating screen can be enough to push people in one direction or another.  Funny how something subtle can make the difference between always having the camera with you and never having it with you.  Even one stop of useful ISO can be a deal breaker.  If you must have an exposure of 1/30th of a second, but going to ISO 3200 to get it creates more noise than you find aesthetically acceptable, the camera is a glorified paper weight.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
GaryJP
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Nov 3, 2012

PaulRivers wrote:

GaryJP wrote:

Trolling for Halloween?

Pathetic.

-- hide signature --

Well, an improvement that's "tiny" to some photographers is not so "tiny" to others. There are those who will argue that there's no need for the improvements you can get in RAW or that a pocket camera is only slightly less good than a DSLR and that there's no need for DSLR's any more. I am not one of them.

My bodies include a 1D MkIII, a 5D MkIII, 60D, Lumix GX1 and micro four thirds system, the G1X, several others in the G range, the Fuji X10, and the RX100. For me, the best balance between portability and image quality is the G1 X. No doubt about it. The RX100 has some other advantages, but really I'd have to have MUCH worse sight than I do to think it trumped the others (except the X10) in IQ.

The OOC JPEG softness of the RX100 is more than a "tiny" difference to some of us. And noise shows up fast.

Others don't care about squeezing the best out of their equipment and that's fine for them.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads