Fuji XF1 - Bokeh examples

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions
Mark Prince
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Fuji XF1 - Bokeh examples
Oct 30, 2012

Since this is a new lens from Fuji, perhaps a few of you would be interested in how the bokeh looks like, including the shape of the rings and their characteristics. I got a lot in one photograph I took today (which is a reject of mine because the subject I was shooting wasn't focused to my liking). Here's the full photo

Fall Flowers

And here is the 100% crop of the bokeh cluster.

Bokeh cluster

To be honest, and considering the camera, sensor this lens is on, it's not bad! It is fairly circular hexagon so I assume the XF1 has a six blade aperture (anyone know?) but the consistent highlight halo and a kind of tearing on the right sides of the bokeh disks throws me off a bit.

That said, it reminds me a bit of the bokeh from my Canon 50mm f1.4, though it's not as good as my all time fave bokeh champ - the 35mm F2 Summicron in my stable. It's certainly nicer than the bokeh from a Canon 50mm f1.8, as seen here:

Canon 50mm f1.8 II - Making Coffee with Light

A kind of ovoid shaped bokeh.

What does throw me off a  bit with the Fuji XF1 is the very-bright halo effect around many of the bokeh circles. But overall, considering the camera, and considering the amount of super craptastic barely-there bokeh I've seen from some P&S cameras, this seems pretty good to me.

Mark

-- hide signature --

Mark Prince, CoffeeGeek.com
Photos: flickr.com/coffeegeek
Twitter: twitter.com/coffeegeek

Mark Prince's gear list:Mark Prince's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-PL1 +18 more
Mark Prince
Like?
Re: Fuji XF1 - Bokeh examples
In reply to Mark Prince, Oct 30, 2012

I wasn't clear about one thing in my post - I don't think the bokeh from the FujiFilm XF1 is better than that from the 50mm f1.8 Canon - I meant to say the shape of the bokeh is better. The harsh halo effect throws me off a bit, and I like the softer examples most of my SLR lenses provide. I would rate this XF1 bokeh a bit better than my 50mm f2.5 Macro from Canon, which has really, really bad bokeh.

But overall, I still like the bokeh better from almost all my SLR lenses.

Mark

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-PL1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

The bokeh with your mario or luigi character in front of your computer looked much better.  The bokeh in this image is very harsh.  It all depends on your background.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

Mark, I'm not trying to offend you, but the bokeh from those first two images appears rather 'nervous' or 'harsh' to me. Let me take the oportunity to compare it to a shot from the X10, at almost the same focal length, slightly stopped down, juuust for comparisons sake

If I may add, the bokeh from that shot looks creamier, the way I personally prefer it. I could add more examples if necessary.

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Mark Prince
Like?
In reply to evoprox, Oct 30, 2012

evoprox wrote:

Mark, I'm not trying to offend you, but the bokeh from those first two images appears rather 'nervous' or 'harsh' to me. Let me take the oportunity to compare it to a shot from the X10, at almost the same focal length, slightly stopped down, juuust for comparisons sake

If I may add, the bokeh from that shot looks creamier, the way I personally prefer it. I could add more examples if necessary.

Hi Evoprox!

No offense taken at all. I wasn't trying to get any bokeh shots yesterday, I noticed that particular cluster and figured I'd post it as a "out in the wild" photo. If I have time Tuesday, I'll try to set up some specific bokeh shots with this camera and its lens.

Which is the other point I wanted to make - the X10 and the XF1 have different lenses, and I'm guessing the X10 has a better lens based on the specs and everything (white orbs aside).

Plus, I'm speculating on something here - I wonder if shooting at M (6mp) mode is somehow changing the bokeh and how it looks? I should try a few test shots tomorrow - stage some good bokeh reproduction, then shoot it in 12mp mode and 6mp mode and see what happens. I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I wonder if the act of skipping (or not fully using) every other pixel on the sensor affects this.

Mark

-- hide signature --

Michael Melb AU
Contributing MemberPosts: 935
Like?
In reply to evoprox, Oct 30, 2012

evoprox wrote:

If I may add, the bokeh from that shot looks creamier, the way I personally prefer it. I could add more examples if necessary

I think you have nailed it here. Compare the pair:

X10 lens focal length f=7.1 - 28.4 mm, equivalent to 28 - 112 mm on a 35 mm camera full-aperture F2.0 (Wide) - F2.8 (Telephoto)

XF1 lens focal length f=6.4 - 25.6 mm, equivalent to 25 - 100 mm on a 35 mm format full-aperture F1.8 (Wide) - F4.9 (Telephoto)

Having better  focal length to max aperture ratio when zoomed in, X10 wins. I haven't held XF1 in my hands yet, but by the looks of it X10 lens is more solid as well. This adds. Interesting though that people compare by bokeh - it reminds me "Top gear" guys speaking of car engine sound

Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 501
Like?

This is how HS30 bokeh looks like.

Peter

evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

Mark Prince wrote:

evoprox wrote:

Hi Evoprox!

No offense taken at all. I wasn't trying to get any bokeh shots yesterday, I noticed that particular cluster and figured I'd post it as a "out in the wild" photo. If I have time Tuesday, I'll try to set up some specific bokeh shots with this camera and its lens.

Which is the other point I wanted to make - the X10 and the XF1 have different lenses, and I'm guessing the X10 has a better lens based on the specs and everything (white orbs aside).

Plus, I'm speculating on something here - I wonder if shooting at M (6mp) mode is somehow changing the bokeh and how it looks? I should try a few test shots tomorrow - stage some good bokeh reproduction, then shoot it in 12mp mode and 6mp mode and see what happens. I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I wonder if the act of skipping (or not fully using) every other pixel on the sensor affects this.

Mark

-- hide signature --

Mark, I'm glad you perceive it that way, it's not all meant as something like 'Hey, look, my bokeh is BETTER than yours !' LOL or to bash your new cam. If you don't mind, I join in with comparable shots (focal length, aperture, L vs. M size) from my X10 as that might help potential buyers to make up their minds and find the right tool for their jobs.

Greetings from a fellow coffee junkie

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?

Mark Prince wrote:
To be honest, and considering the camera, sensor this lens is on, it's not bad! It is fairly circular hexagon so I assume the XF1 has a six blade aperture (anyone know?) but the consistent highlight halo and a kind of tearing on the right sides of the bokeh disks throws me off a bit.

Yes according to the specs the XF1’s lens has six diaphragm blades and the X10 lens has a seven-bladed aperture!

expressivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
In reply to vkyr2, Oct 30, 2012

The bokeh on the first two images (the original and 100% crop) definitely remind me of a cheapo mirror lens.  The bokeh in the third and fourth images (again, an original and crop) are a bit better...  smoother...   but there are still some hard edges that are distracting.  That being said, it was a high contast scene with back-lighting...  so...  some distracting bokeh could be expected here.

That first scene in the first two images, however, shows terrible bokeh...   about as far from smooth and creamy bokeh as one could get.  Then again, some people love the bokeh created from mirror lenses.

Patrick

Mark Prince
Like?
In reply to expressivecanvas, Oct 31, 2012

expressivecanvas wrote:

The bokeh on the first two images (the original and 100% crop) definitely remind me of a cheapo mirror lens. The bokeh in the third and fourth images (again, an original and crop) are a bit better... smoother... but there are still some hard edges that are distracting. That being said, it was a high contast scene with back-lighting... so... some distracting bokeh could be expected here.

Just for clarity sake - the 3rd and 4th images are not from the Fuji XF1 but, as stated, from a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.

But yeah, now that I think about it, the bokeh from the XF1 sample does remind me a tiny bit of mirror lens effects from days of yore.

Mark

-- hide signature --

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,215
Like?
May be better at longer focal length
In reply to Mark Prince, Oct 31, 2012

Mark Prince wrote:

And here is the 100% crop of the bokeh cluster.

Bokeh cluster

Don't think 6.4mm is necessarily the best focal length for this shot. Probably a longer focal length would have shallower DOF and better OOF rendition.

Thanks for the test, in any case!

Camp Freddy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?
Fakey Bokeh Mark? ie double exposure defocus merge
In reply to CAcreeks, Oct 31, 2012

Thanks for sharing first snaps with the camera, which I think is a cool trade off on size for IQ so far.

The XF1 ( and other X?) Has a fakey bokeh which merges a sharp shot and OOF shot right? Does it do the magic select work or is this just a gimmick?

Look forward to more of your shots, once the (english?) weather lets up a bit!

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/
NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888
Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/
"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;
............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

Mark Prince
Like?
Re: Fakey Bokeh Mark? ie double exposure defocus merge
In reply to Camp Freddy, Nov 2, 2012

Camp Freddy wrote:

Thanks for sharing first snaps with the camera, which I think is a cool trade off on size for IQ so far.

The XF1 ( and other X?) Has a fakey bokeh which merges a sharp shot and OOF shot right? Does it do the magic select work or is this just a gimmick?

Look forward to more of your shots, once the (english?) weather lets up a bit!

Hi Freddy - I'm up in Rainforest Vancouver BC We just had about 225mm of rain in October, which even for us is a lot

I did post in another thread somewhere here images showing the "Pro Focus" mode on the XF1, and especially how it did not do a great job identifying the in focus subject vs. background. It's a toy feature; I probably will not be using it again. Let me see if I can find a link for you.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50152514

Regards

Mark

-- hide signature --

yonsarh
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark Prince, Nov 2, 2012

can you tell me how to apply bokeh effects on the menu setting ?

yonsarh's gear list:yonsarh's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,215
Like?
In reply to yonsarh, Nov 2, 2012

yonsarh wrote:

can you tell me how to apply bokeh effects on the menu setting ?

Turn the dial to Adv (advanced), select Pro Focus, shoot.

Probably best to use a tripod or other solid support.

yonsarh
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, Nov 2, 2012

Really appreciated.

yonsarh's gear list:yonsarh's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Camp Freddy
Like?
Toy Feature but gives me an idea...
In reply to Mark Prince, Nov 5, 2012

It is a toy feature then....okay

But gives me an idea for mFT to get something more interesting than a gausian blur on a mask set up.

-- hide signature --

NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/
"to do is to be" Satre ;

Camp Freddy
Like?
jury still out a bit on Pro Focus Mode ....Feature but gives me an idea...
In reply to Camp Freddy, Nov 5, 2012

Actually, it aint so bad on some other images, but for portraits it looks like it uses a bit of "fuzzy logic" on the mask select, choosing to smudge edges it can't cut cleanly.

Some images turn out with a good bokeh but queston mark on the mask boundary eg

tree stump Pro Focus Mode

I expect this will be all the rage in Mobile Phones soon.

Defo an amateur modus! But what the heck, I quite like the concept anyway. If you can save the original sharp-shot Raw file then I would leave it on for portraits just to see how it went and have quick , short DOF shots for the internet.

-- hide signature --

NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
"to do is to be" Satre ;

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads