First Owl Picture :)

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions
ThomCull
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
First Owl Picture :)
Oct 30, 2012

This afternoon I had a break from lectures so I went on a walk through the provincial park thinking I would look for wildlife, given the thick fog I had pretty much given up hope of seeing anything of significance when I spotted my first owl ever.

Looks to be a Great Horned Owl, fairly common, but still the first I've ever photographed and second I've ever seen wild.

Great Horned Owl - St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

Not the greatest photo ever, however my 350D was pretty much maxed out with ISO 800 and low light thanks to the fog.

C&C appreciated, I think I will start to do this more often as I hear there are snowy and other varieties in the same park.

- Thomas

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ThomCull
Like?
Re: First Owl Picture :)
In reply to ThomCull, Oct 30, 2012

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,209
Like?

I like these better.  Yes, it's difficult with foggy weather, so I don't think we can find fault with your pictures.  Some people photoshop different backgrounds and play around with the image that way for different affects.  But that is something I don't care to do...but it can be useful.

I've only had a few times to take pictures of owls, in fact it's so few of times that I remember where they were.  Once it was on Vancouver Island.  I tried to take the picture of the owl under the dark canopy of trees with my Sony H2 P&S camera.  I was able to get a photo of the bird, but the image quality was not good.  The other time was in Walla Walla, Washington as I followed an owl in a clump of trees.  But branches obscured my view of the owl, so I was unable to get a photo of it with my Olympus E-510 DSLR camera.  So saying that, I can appreciate sometimes the difficulty in taking pictures of these owls, particularly in dark conditions.  Now, with the Canon T2i (550D) cameras that I'm using, I think I would be better able to get a good photo of them in low light conditions.

ThomCull
Like?
In reply to Digirame, Oct 30, 2012

Thank you for the kind words, I forgot to mention that the bottom one is SOOC, just converted to JPG from LR4. To give an idea of how foggy it truly was.

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,209
Like?

It looks like that fog is going to change to massive amounts of rain & snow. That's some Nor'easter storm coming your way. When it is safe to take photos, you'll have to show us some of the affects.

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?

ThomCull wrote:

The top image looks excellent when I click View: Original Size!  I would encourage anyone reading this to have a look at it that way.

Very nice capture!  Congratulations!

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
ThomCull
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, Oct 30, 2012

Thank you very much, I don't know what happened when I exported from LR, there is an odd border happening with the first. This has really inspired me to follow wildlife for a while, I live essentially in a provincial park (subdivision is surrounded) so maybe I'll take it as an opportunity to stalk some moose, elk, and if I'm lucky find an eagle. They're apparently around this area.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads