Newly converted

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions
spqr_ca
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Newly converted
Oct 30, 2012

I finally jumped ship from the world of Pentax, having been there since my film days, and bought the D800 with the 24-120mm f/4 lens to start (I'm notorious for LBA). I obviously haven't taken a lot of pictures yet, still learning my way around the camera, but I really quite like it and the images are freakin' huge!

So why jump ship? It was a hard decision since I do own two Pentax K-5 cameras and a boat load of lenses and other gear, but I finally decided that Pentax were really being honest when they said that no full frame camera was coming and nothing had changed on that score. The new K-5s look great, no shocker there, but I really want to do more (personal) studio oriented shooting and so the lack of a full frame option coupled with the, admittedly, anemic Pentax flash system and I gave up.

From my first test shots... My not always willing better half.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Catalana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125Gear list
Like?
Re: Newly converted
In reply to spqr_ca, Oct 30, 2012

I am afraid my K-5 is slowly starting to gather dust. It's the back-up now.

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gosman
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
In reply to Catalana, Oct 30, 2012

If you decide to sell your K5s, please go to the for sale forum and put it out there!

-- hide signature --

Jay

Gosman's gear list:Gosman's gear list
Pentax K-3
spqr_ca
Like?
In reply to Gosman, Oct 30, 2012

Gosman wrote:

If you decide to sell your K5s, please go to the for sale forum and put it out there!

-- hide signature --

Jay

I'm just figuring out pricing. The D800 with lens is approaching $5000 in cost, so I want to get some of that back! I'll miss dual bodies, but I just can't see that it makes a lot of sense to keep all that gear around now.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
garyhgaryh
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?

K5 is an awesome Camera.  Almost bought it, but I thought it was too expensive then so I bought my d5100.  A year later, I was going to buy a K5 since the body dropped to $750 or $800 on certain sites, but ended up making the plunge to a d800e (did not want to regret settling).  So far I've been happy with my d800e, but may someday pick up a used K5 down the line.

Gary

primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?

spqr_ca wrote:

I finally jumped ship from the world of Pentax, having been there since my film days, and bought the D800 with the 24-120mm f/4 lens to start (I'm notorious for LBA). I obviously haven't taken a lot of pictures yet, still learning my way around the camera, but I really quite like it and the images are freakin' huge!

So why jump ship? It was a hard decision since I do own two Pentax K-5 cameras and a boat load of lenses and other gear, but I finally decided that Pentax were really being honest when they said that no full frame camera was coming and nothing had changed on that score. The new K-5s look great, no shocker there, but I really want to do more (personal) studio oriented shooting and so the lack of a full frame option coupled with the, admittedly, anemic Pentax flash system and I gave up.

From my first test shots... My not always willing better half.

Pleased to meet you! Your next purchase though is a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 so you can either not shoot with direct flash at all, or use a bounce flash gun/off camera to let in ambient light for the background with the wide aperture and some light from the flash (dialed back likely) to expose your other half nicely. The problem with this hobby is you always "need" more stuff

Hope you are liking the D800.

spqr_ca
Like?
In reply to primeshooter, Oct 30, 2012

primeshooter wrote:

Pleased to meet you! Your next purchase though is a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 so you can either not shoot with direct flash at all, or use a bounce flash gun/off camera to let in ambient light for the background with the wide aperture and some light from the flash (dialed back likely) to expose your other half nicely. The problem with this hobby is you always "need" more stuff

Hope you are liking the D800.

A nifty 50 is on my list (going to miss my old P-K one, it's sweet), but I do have 4 AB-800s that I can put more useful radio remotes on...

spqr_ca
Like?
In reply to garyhgaryh, Oct 30, 2012

garyhgaryh wrote:

K5 is an awesome Camera. Almost bought it, but I thought it was too expensive then so I bought my d5100. A year later, I was going to buy a K5 since the body dropped to $750 or $800 on certain sites, but ended up making the plunge to a d800e (did not want to regret settling). So far I've been happy with my d800e, but may someday pick up a used K5 down the line.

Gary

I love the K-5, it's a great camera and I've been tempted to hold on to one, but the D800 is a pricy buy for a dedicated hobbyist and so I'll probably sell them as a result. I would still be Pentax if I thought there was a future in the camera line for the kind of shooting I want to grow into. Just not seeing it though and Pentax has been firm that they won't be changing that.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,668Gear list
Like?

Congratulations on your new purchase. Wishing you lots of great shots with it.

Aren't you going to miss the in-camera VR?

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
spqr_ca
Like?
In reply to TOF guy, Oct 30, 2012

TOF guy wrote:

Congratulations on your new purchase. Wishing you lots of great shots with it.

Thanks!

Aren't you going to miss the in-camera VR?

Probably a little, though I do appreciate the stabilization in the viewfinder you get with lens-based. The big upside to the body version is legacy glass and there was a lot of it readily available for Pentax cameras, but I don't think that will be as big a thing for me on the Nikon platform.

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,095Gear list
Like?
I was also a convert from Pentax

Welcome to Nikon. The D800 is an ​amazing ​camera!

I was also a Pentax convert when I switched to a Nikon D700 back in May 2010. Like you, I had bucket loads of Pentax lenses and some of the best as well - all 3 FA Limiteds, FA*28-70 f2.8, FA*80-200 f2.8, FA*300 f4.5 etc.

Also, like you, I wanted FF, and more importantly, I wanted professional grade cameras and lenses as the prosumer (at best) gear from Pentax just wasn't good enough, IMO. Pentax just didn't seem to be going anywhere, and so, after a few issues with the K-7 and shutter induced blur and a few other issues, I decided to jump ship. Best thing I ever did.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
LuzArt
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to spqr_ca, Oct 31, 2012

Congrats on the move, you won't regret it for a moment.  The Nikon FX bodies are extraordinary as are the lenses.  Enjoy!

-- hide signature --
 LuzArt's gear list:LuzArt's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
spqr_ca
Like?
Re: I was also a convert from Pentax
In reply to Lance B, Oct 31, 2012

Lance B wrote:

Welcome to Nikon. The D800 is an ​amazing ​camera!

I was also a Pentax convert when I switched to a Nikon D700 back in May 2010. Like you, I had bucket loads of Pentax lenses and some of the best as well - all 3 FA Limiteds, FA*28-70 f2.8, FA*80-200 f2.8, FA*300 f4.5 etc.

I remember you jumping ship back then. I think it stuck with me, but I held on a little longer by buying into the rumours. The thing was, it wasn't so much the FF option (though it was a distinct factor), it was the terrible future of off-camera flash. Pentax really, really, sucks at this and was showing no sign of getting better. Add in that no 3rd party option was even remotely willing to consider P-TTL... I have no expectations of becoming a pro, but I really like to have fun in a studio environment and Pentax is clearly a dead end there.

Also, like you, I wanted FF, and more importantly, I wanted professional grade cameras and lenses as the prosumer (at best) gear from Pentax just wasn't good enough, IMO. Pentax just didn't seem to be going anywhere, and so, after a few issues with the K-7 and shutter induced blur and a few other issues, I decided to jump ship. Best thing I ever did.

The Pentax forum here has, about weekly or so, a thread about FF. Usually along with the obligatory "who will buy it anyways" sequence. Well... Some of us would have. You and I, for example, and not the only ones. Ah well, I still really like Pentax and the K-5 is a wicked piece of kit, you'll not see me knock it, but I want a path and Pentax wants a niche, so time to part ways.

spqr_ca
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to LuzArt, Oct 31, 2012

LuzArt wrote:

Congrats on the move, you won't regret it for a moment. The Nikon FX bodies are extraordinary as are the lenses. Enjoy!

I will.

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,764Gear list
Like?

You did what ?

Kidding aside  I also kind of left pentax this fall, After waiting for a FF camera with telephoto lens and seeing  no option other than the 560mm F?? Shocked by what they were asking for it  and   finding out that it may not cover FF I took my money elsewhere.

Good luck with your D800

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The most important piece of equipment in photography is the lens cap, if used incorrectly all your photo will be under exposed.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
spqr_ca
Like?

As a side note, I've since fixed my date/time settings in the camera. I just realized the image EXIF from my test was showing a time warp for pete's sake!

spqr_ca
Like?
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, Oct 31, 2012

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

You did what ?

Kidding aside I also kind of left pentax this fall, After waiting for a FF camera with telephoto lens and seeing no option other than the 560mm F?? Shocked by what they were asking for it and finding out that it may not cover FF I took my money elsewhere.

I went Sigma for long telephoto some time ago, but I agree that going that long and covering APS-C only seems pretty crazy. Even if they have no plans on the digital front, there's still a lot of film options out there and for the price they need to be future proof.

Good luck with your D800

Thanks! I like it, a lot, and now I have to plot out my lens plans for the future. The 24-120mm f/4 was a pragmatic price to performance selection based on current and immediate need, but longer term that's going to be a vacation lens I think. I suspect my future lens choices are likely to be expensive, so I want to be careful in planning my needs longer term.

Glen78
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?

Welcome to Nikon, the 24-120 is a great lens and on my camera most of the time. While I agree with the other poster that a 50 f/1.8 or f/1.4 should be on your list, 24-120 with VR is no slouch in low light no flash shooting and sometimes better for still photography since it has VR. With my D600 at ISO 6400, f/4 and acceptable shutter speeds as low as 1/2 second at the wide end I can get nice images without flash in moonlight.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D600, 16-35 f/4 VR, 24-120 f/4 VR, 70-300 VC, 50 f/1.8G
Nikon D3100, 18-55 VR
SB-400 Flash

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +5 more
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,764Gear list
Like?

spqr_ca wrote:

I went Sigma for long telephoto some time ago, but I agree that going that long and covering APS-C only seems pretty crazy. Even if they have no plans on the digital front, there's still a lot of film options out there and for the price they need to be future proof.

I know it’s crazy, I might add they offer NO VR only  IS  that is of no value on telephotos and  No Focus memory  just to name a few

Thanks! I like it, a lot, and now I have to plot out my lens plans for the future. The 24-120mm f/4 was a pragmatic price to performance selection based on current and immediate need, but longer term that's going to be a vacation lens I think. I suspect my future lens choices are likely to be expensive, so I want to be careful in planning my needs longer term.

I picked up the 24-85 Vr for my walk about lens and its = or better than my  DA*16-50 but it does not  have the build feel of the * but again its half price

When you compare the size of the two the D800 is not that much larger

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The most important piece of equipment in photography is the lens cap, if used incorrectly all your photo will be under exposed.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
garyhgaryh
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?

spqr_ca wrote:

garyhgaryh wrote:

K5 is an awesome Camera. Almost bought it, but I thought it was too expensive then so I bought my d5100. A year later, I was going to buy a K5 since the body dropped to $750 or $800 on certain sites, but ended up making the plunge to a d800e (did not want to regret settling). So far I've been happy with my d800e, but may someday pick up a used K5 down the line.

Gary

I love the K-5, it's a great camera and I've been tempted to hold on to one, but the D800 is a pricy buy for a dedicated hobbyist and so I'll probably sell them as a result. I would still be Pentax if I thought there was a future in the camera line for the kind of shooting I want to grow into. Just not seeing it though and Pentax has been firm that they won't be changing that.

I agree that the K5 is a great camera and that the d800 is a pricey buy.  I'm starting to think even if I had started with a K5 (instead of the d5100), I would have eventually ended up with something better - a d800/d800e.

I wonder what % of the pentax convert go over to Nikon vs Canon?

Gary

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads