Questions about purchasing a new iMac

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions
johnwt44137
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Questions about purchasing a new iMac
Oct 29, 2012

I am in the market for a new computer. I have a 6 year old Macbook that I have upgraded as much as I'm able to. I am looking at purchasing a new iMac and would like some advice.

First, I only have a Canon Rebel XS. Its still working well but only 10 mp. I may upgrade in the next year or two but thats not in the cards right now. I enjoy photography as a hobby and am looking to do more with my photos after I take them.

Now, onto which iMac should I buy? I'm leaning towards the new base 27" model. I was originally thinking about just the 21.5" and upgrading to the Fusion drive and maybe getting the better processor and graphics card. After further thought, for close to the same money, if I go 27", I get the better graphics card, better processor and while not a fusion drive, 7200 hard drive as opposed to 5400. Which is the better route to go? I was also looking at getting aperture and a 3 year protection plan so I'm really looking to stay as close to $2,000 as possible when its all said and done.

On a slightly different note, if I load my photos from my XS, is the 27" screen going to blow the images out of proportion since they're only 10mp images? Would the 21.5" be better suited for my camera hardware? Does it not make a difference?

Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Mouser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?
Re: Questions about purchasing a new iMac
In reply to johnwt44137, Oct 29, 2012

Your decision seems to be primarily around the screen size... so why not go to your local Apple store and compare them?  For me personally the larger screen was just too big (but I know many will disagree!).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dr Chandra
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
In reply to Mouser, Oct 29, 2012

The new 27 inch iMac has a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels (3.6 megapixels according to Wolfram Alpha), which is quite a bit smaller than the resolution of your Rebel XS's photos, so there's no need to worry about ugly upscaling problems.

johnwt44137
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to Dr Chandra, Oct 30, 2012

Thank you both for the answers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads