Pentax K-30 review posted

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,817Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K-30 review posted
In reply to Lars Rehm, Oct 30, 2012

Lars Rehm wrote:

Looking at the 78% of the K-30 makes one think the camera is lacking, whereas one could easily argue that it is over-specced for its class.

Thanks for your suggestions. Our scoring system has been discussed to death here, so I won't get into that again but I'd like to say that the 78% score is actually very good for a camera in this class. I f you look into our database you'll see that this is higher than the Nikon D5100 (76%) and Canon EOS 650D (77%), and the same as the Sony SLT-A65.

Did the Sony get appropriately marked down for not having a mirror?, As by  your own marking rules its lacking, every other dslr in its class has it so it is the "standard"

Seriously though what is the difference re video and mirror missing ? both are a con to anyone wanting them ?

I think to avoid confusion you need to define some basic requirement for a camera at each price point and measure against them, mention additions/deletions but don't score against them until the're in the basic requirement.

-- hide signature --

Lars Rehm, dpreview.com

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dezzza
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Oct 30, 2012

Ironic?

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dezzza, Oct 30, 2012

Dezzza wrote:

Ironic?

Yep, it seems I forgot a smiley

Go to Conclusions, and add some Canikon cameras in the compare score widget. You can see interesting things:

- the K-30, 650D, 1100D, D5100, D3200 (and most likely others) appears to have the same "build quality". Even the K-5 is "no better" than some 1100D... oh, really?

- from the above cameras, all they have the same "ergonomics" except for the 650D (which is better) and D5100 (worst, even compared with the D3200).

and so on.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
GabrielFF
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
Re: AF question
In reply to gebco, Oct 30, 2012

The expanded area AF is effective, but the D7000's 3D tracking should be much better.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Oct 30, 2012

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Dezzza wrote:

Ironic?

Yep, it seems I forgot a smiley

Go to Conclusions, and add some Canikon cameras in the compare score widget. You can see interesting things:

- the K-30, 650D, 1100D, D5100, D3200 (and most likely others) appears to have the same "build quality". Even the K-5 is "no better" than some 1100D... oh, really?

Alex

OK, after investigating a bit it appears there's a bug in the compare score widget: add one or more cameras, and go over them with the mouse cursor; the lines will be updated accordingly except the first one, Build quality.

Now, how can I fill a bug report?

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Class A
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

Hi Lars,

maybe my question got lost:

Why are the two dials are not mentioned as a "Pro" point for the K-30? Why are they not once mentioned in the Conclusions, even thought this is a rather unique feature in this class?

Surely you must have either forgotten it or have had your reasons.
I'd be delighted if you could provide us an insight.
Thank you in advance.

Class A's gear list:Class A's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
Daz80
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Class A, Oct 30, 2012

Thanks for the thorough review. Im seriously considering buying the K-30 body and spending the extra money on some quality lenses instead of getting the K5II. Im glad i didnt buy the 2yr old K5 now, despite its cheap price given image quality from the K-30 is equal if not better.

Couple questions regarding the review:

a) Why was the assessment of focus peaking overlooked? It is a huge draw card for this camera, given a major advantage of Pentax is the access to a large variety of legacy lenses. I was keen to see how FP performs with the K30.

b) Also, like others mentioned, its odd not to see the dual dials or focus peaking listed as a Pro, given few cameras in this class have them.

I am actually quite impressed with the video of the K30. The samples you included are very crisp and smooth and the sound is decent. Given this is a stills camera, i think the video quality is great if you want to use it (eg filming family events etc). Professional videographers are not using a DSLR for their video anyway.

Anyway, thanks again for the review! 

ChazSelf
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Oct 30, 2012

It's not just you, Dean. I have no intention of shooting video, but if I do, I'll borrow, or even--gasp!--buy a video camera. I'd far rather have top results in still shots from my DSLR.

This one was a go, until I realized it missed the one deal breaker: an articulated rear LCD. As I age, it is harder and harder to shoot low, with problems with knees and neck bone spurs. My next camera may still be a year or two away, but in that period, the articulated LCD becomes even more of an imperative. Knees will be replaced--one already has and the next is going to happen 1/22/13--but some things don't improve with age, bone spurs being one.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,650
Like?
In reply to ChazSelf, Oct 30, 2012

I must be the only Pentax shooter on here that wants video on their camera? And no, I don't want to buy and lug another piece of equipment with me when it's possible, as shown by most other brands, to put the latest video technology on the camera. And no, it's not a choice of video vs. good still image quality. You can have both.

The reality is Pentax is playing catch-up, yet I feel their attitude is "hey, we gave you WR, stop asking for anything more". They didn't even change one video spec in two years on the K-511. That probably aligns with most on this board, but I can't believe this board represents most dslr shooters.

I think we all want Pentax to be successful, yet Pentax knows not having the latest and greatest in video is going to give them negatives in reviews and can ultimately hurt their sales. And yes, they have video, but they can do much more with it, and they know it. It can only help Pentax as a company.

math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
why does the score matter?

Class A wrote:

Looking at the 78% of the K-30 makes one think the camera is lacking, whereas one could easily argue that it is over-specced for its class.

I understand what you're saying, but it seems to me that some folks are overly concerned about that score. Anybody looking for a camera should know what features they want. If, after reading the review, they determine that the camera measures up well in the areas they want, why should they care about the overall score? Especially given the fact that the reviewer himself pointed out in the conclusion that most of the cons were related to video and that if video wasn't a concern then this is a very good camera. I really wouldn't expect a reasoning person to conclude, "Gee, this camera does everything I want it to do, but I just can't buy a camera that only scored 78%."

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +4 more
bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
There are $8 K-30 battery packs on ebay..

..made in China, probably not the same quality as original but having 1 or 2 extra batteries for this price doesn't break the bank I guess.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
Daedbird
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?

I really think some of you guys are getting into a semantics debate and losing a great review in the weeds of where the video is ranked.

Look, when reading a real DPRewiew review, I like almost any fanboy, go to the conclusion page, read the pros, cons, and conclusion, then look at the numbers and whether or not it received an award, then go back to read the portions I want to know. I saw the review and thought they really liked this camera.

Look, video is good on this camera, just not as good as some other offerings...Does this make it bad? No. I think the K-30's video capabilities work great, but would not get the camera because I feel the need to have an external mic for the video I would shoot normally. Currently I am using a K-01 for this, and with the new firmware it is great (and eventhough it does have a dedicated video button, I still find myself switching to video mode).

The problem is not the review, but how most people go about buying cameras. The fact is, people look at cameras today and want both still and video - the dedicated video camera is getting pushed up-market, and most consumers are relying on their smartphones and cameras to handle video. For a number of reasons - could be because of reliance on screw-drive lower lenses on the lower end, or utilizing sensor stabilization instead of lens stabilization, or something else - Pentax does not have continuous focus, but has the ability to update at a push of a button. For many shooters, MF is the only way they would roll anyways for focusing.

Unfortunately, weathersealing is not something that is thought about by most photographers. I do agree, however, that the dual scroll wheels should be a huge pro not matter what.

but in the end this review confirms all we know about Pentax - the top camera for photos, pretty good at video, and built like a tank.

Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661Gear list
Like?
Only negative I have with the K30 is why did they bother trying to fit a Li-ion into it?

Because Li-Ion batteries have more capacity per weight and they don't self-discharge as much as cheaper NiMH batteries?

Both AA Eneloops & Eveready lithiums would give 2x & 4x the life, they would have saved the cost of a battery & charger and it would have been the perfect Adventure DSLR.

This claim doesn't really hold water.

The K30's Li-Ion battery is rated at 1050 mAh and 7.4 V, so total energy is 1.05 Ah * 7.7 V = 7.8 Wh.

The highest rated NiMH Eneloops I know of are rated at 2000 mAh and 1.2 V. So using four of those in the Pentax would give you 4 * 2.00 Ah * 1.2 V = 9.6 Wh, which is a slightly more than with LiIon, but nowhere near double or four times.

There are of course non-pre-charged NiMH AA cells that are rated to upto 2800 mAh, perhaps even higher. But their self-discharge rates are so high (4% per day) that I would never use them in a device that isn't used daily: unless fresh from the charger, they are always empty.

Anyway, I am not a Pentax shooter, but I have a habit of reading all DPreview's reviews. And it looks like you in Pentax-land have a really nice camera with the K-30.

Kind regards,

- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +6 more
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,516Gear list
Like?

Class A wrote:

...BTW, good writing style would suggest that it is "it is easy to recommend the Pentax K-30." instead of "it is very hard to not recommend the Pentax K-30."

An awkward statement that the reviewer made, I agree, ... perhaps the reviewer felt un-comfortable recommending a lowly Pentax camera. This is kind of a "who would have thought" statement with a negative co-notation. Like he had no choice but to recommend it... and that's painful... ough !

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Samsung TL500 Pentax Optio 33WR Pentax K-01 Pentax K10D +18 more
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,912Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron Zamir, Oct 30, 2012

Ron Zamir wrote:

Lars Rehm wrote:

Hi all, we just posted the review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-30/

Enjoy

-- hide signature --

Lars Rehm, dpreview.com

Great camera but Pentax lenses are too expensive!

In that case, any major brand AF lens will be too expensive for you.

Regards

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
History would be something if only it was true. Leo Tolstoy
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... K. Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984

Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,067
Like?
Re: AF question
In reply to GabrielFF, Oct 30, 2012

GabrielFF wrote:

The expanded area AF is effective, but the D7000's 3D tracking should be much better.

And yet the D7000 AF isn't that quick if you look at the Imaging Resource results.  The K-30 is twice as quick using the centre AF point on stationary subjects, so it's swings and roundabouts for AF.

Class A
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: why does the score matter?
In reply to math guy, Oct 31, 2012

math guy wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but it seems to me that some folks are overly concerned about that score.

You and I, and probably most people that shoot Pentax go and actually read the review, ignore the overall score, deciding for themselves what is important and what is not.

The majority of buyers, however, will fast-forward to the summary page or just look at a ranked list of models. Dealers will point to scores to make their lives easier and customers trust scores.

That's partially why I take issue with the Conclusions page not discussing the "two-dials" feature at all. I've been polite about it, but to be honest I think it is a major flaw of the review and I am very surprised that Lars has not responded to my respective question yet.
It is not like the review is cast in stone. Other corrections have been made already. If it were my motivation to inform potential customers as thoroughly as possible, I'd make sure they know about the two dials in both "Pros" and Conclusions discussion.
If they don't like two dials or video is important to them, fine. But you've got to present unique features for what they are.

Class A's gear list:Class A's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Class A, Oct 31, 2012

Class A wrote:

BTW, good writing style would suggest that it is "it is easy to recommend the Pentax K-30." instead of "it is very hard to not recommend the Pentax K-30."

Agree on both points.

On the first, the K-30 has superior specs to anything approaching its price simply by being weathersealed with a stainless steel chassis, and should be rewarded for same in the scoring. This puts it in a class close to the Nikon D7000 but at a price closer to the D5100.

On the second, I agree the wording should be changed from damning with faint praise to true praise for a job well done.

I'm not a Pentax user yet both these points leap out at me in an otherwise very well written review.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Marriott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616Gear list
Like?
In reply to sderdiarian, Oct 31, 2012

Good, fair review, Lars. Thank you for your efforts. I agree, though, that the "backhanded compliment" style makes it seem a bit like a luke-warm endorsement. Also, was the firmware update included in considering the live view focusing speed? It was already pretty good, but now it is better. Not massively better, but noticeably better, and that's what counts. Thank you Pentax for that.

-- hide signature --
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: why does the score matter?
In reply to Class A, Oct 31, 2012

Class A wrote:

math guy wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but it seems to me that some folks are overly concerned about that score.

You and I, and probably most people that shoot Pentax go and actually read the review, ignore the overall score, deciding for themselves what is important and what is not.

The majority of buyers, however, will fast-forward to the summary page or just look at a ranked list of models. Dealers will point to scores to make their lives easier and customers trust scores.

That's partially why I take issue with the Conclusions page not discussing the "two-dials" feature at all. I've been polite about it, but to be honest I think it is a major flaw of the review and I am very surprised that Lars has not responded to my respective question yet.
It is not like the review is cast in stone. Other corrections have been made already. If it were my motivation to inform potential customers as thoroughly as possible, I'd make sure they know about the two dials in both "Pros" and Conclusions discussion.
If they don't like two dials or video is important to them, fine. But you've got to present unique features for what they are.

Good points. When you put it that way, it makes sense.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads