Which Size UV Filter (protection) For the SX50

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
Which Size UV Filter (protection) For the SX50
Oct 28, 2012

I haven't looked into accessories yet for the SX50 but the first thing I want is a UV filter for lens protection.  I think I remember seeing two different sizes I could use??  Don't understand that.  Can someone explain the benefits of each size (provided I actually read that).  And you can't use a lens hood with a filter??

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Ken1
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Size UV Filter (protection) For the SX50
In reply to Monicakm, Oct 28, 2012

There are two different adapters for filters for the camera that I am aware of.  Amazon carries both.  One, the 67mm adapter is plastic, and the other, 58mm, is metal.  Of course the 58mm adapter requires a 58mm filter unless you adapt another size through a step up or step down ring.  I did try using a 52mm filter on the 58 mm adapter and it vignettes at the wide open setting of the lens.  The 58mm filter does not vignette (dark corners).  You can use a lens hood with either adapter, and a filter on top of the lens hood, but if I was going to do that, probably the 67mm way would be better, with less chance of vignetting.

The 58mm adapter on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F3OYQ4/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

The 67mm adapter on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Bower-FA-DC67A-Adapter-PowerShot-Digital/dp/B0057G2TH4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351459733&sr=1-1&keywords=67mm+adapter+sx40

A good cheap 67mm lens hood.  It has 67mm threads on the front of the hood.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029LH3TE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Ken1's gear list:Ken1's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken1
Like?

I just checked and with the 67mm lens hood attached and a 67mm UV filter on the outside, no vignetting is visible with the lens hood retracted.  Once the hood is extended, vignetting occurs around the lens.  With a small amount of zoom, the vignetting is not there.  If the camera zoom is set to digital 1,5X zoom, there is no vignetting at wide open with the lens hood on and extended with the UV filter on.

Monicakm
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Oct 28, 2012

Ohhhh, so those are just the adapter rings and then you have to buy the UV filter.

Does this  lens hood offer more protection from the sun than the ones shaped like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-LH-DC60-PowerShot-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00494QFBG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351461645&sr=1-2&keywords=Canon+lens+hood+SX50

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Ken1
Like?

I personally like the rubber ones better because once extended they offer a lot of shade, and when not needed they can be folded back, and they are much easier to carry.  They don't take up nearly as much space in the camera bag.    Some of the hard ones do not have a thread on the front either.

Monicakm
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Oct 28, 2012

Ken1 wrote:

If the camera zoom is set to digital 1,5X zoom, there is no vignetting at wide open with the lens hood on and extended with the UV filter on.

OK, bear with me please   If the camera zoom is actually at 1.5x zoom or just set to 1.5x

So let's say I'm on the Talimena Byway next weekend (Oklahoma mountains), taking wide angle pictures of the fall foliage and shooting into the sun.  I'll have vignetting with this hood at full wide angle?  I just can't have any (more) surprises next weekend.  I'm already taking a new camera on a road trip (which I'll probably regret).   Do they make these with larger flares?  That's very inexpensive.   While I like to save money as well as the next person, if spending more on a better made/quality hood and have no vignetting, I'd spend the extra money.

Thanks for your help.  I've never looked at lens hoods before and my last camera purchase (over 6 years ago) had threads so adding a filter was straight forward.

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Ken1
Like?

First, if the camera is set at 1.5X zoom, then all the zoom settings for the camera are at 1.5X.  An example is setting the camera wide open.  Normally this would be 24mm but with 1.5X on, the wide open zoom is actually 36mm.  You have to take that into consideration when setting the camera to 1.5X zoom or 2X Zoom.  At full zoom the camera is actually zooming to 1800mm (1200mm X 1.5), and the same goes for 2X zoom.

That is why  I would rather set the camera in Standard Zoom and watch the zoom indicator in the LCD or in the viewfinder.  In Standard it goes to 50X zoom and stops.  Pull the zoom lever again and it goes to 100X zoom in white and stops.  Pull the zoom lever again and it goes to 200X zoom in blue.

There is nothing wrong with the rubber lens hood.  Don't let the price fool you.  It works perfectly and is nice in that it will collapse when you don't need or want it.  The hard ones are too big and stick out too far to easily fit into a camera bag.

With the camera in Standard zoom, at 24mm the lens hood will show on the screen when the lens hood is extended.  When the lens hood is retracted it does not show on the LCD.  When it is extended to get rid of the vignetting the lens must be zoomed out a little.  No much, just a tad.  You are going to find this happening on any lens hood you put on the camera.   At wide open, the camera lens can see the lens hood.  They stick out too far for that not to happen.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,723
Like?

I would use the lens hood instead.  I'm surprised it's not included, but looking at the specs that is the case unfortunately.  Unless you're shooting in poor conditions (in which case the rest of the camera is at risk as well) you don't need a protection filter.  A proper lens hood will prevent flare as well as flying debris.

This is the Canon lens hood:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_253309

No need to spend $25, there should be much cheaper but just as effective versions on ebay.

Mark

Ken1
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Oct 28, 2012

The regular lens hood is ok, but will not work if you are using any kind of filters.  It takes the same space as the aftermarket adapters and you can't use both.

Monicakm
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Oct 29, 2012

Mark B. wrote:

I would use the lens hood instead. I'm surprised it's not included, but looking at the specs that is the case unfortunately. Unless you're shooting in poor conditions (in which case the rest of the camera is at risk as well) you don't need a protection filter. A proper lens hood will prevent flare as well as flying debris.

No need to spend $25, there should be much cheaper but just as effective versions on ebay.

Mark

Mark, I doubt I'll have the lens hood on all the time.  I know it collapses.  I've never had one before so I'll figure that out when I get it, but, a couple of the reasons I use a UV fllter is to protect from dust and finger prints.  The lens hood isn't going to protect from that.

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Monicakm
Like?
In reply to Ken1, Oct 29, 2012

Ken1 wrote:

First, if the camera is set at 1.5X zoom, then all the zoom settings for the camera are at 1.5X. An example is setting the camera wide open. Normally this would be 24mm but with 1.5X on, the wide open zoom is actually 36mm. You have to take that into consideration when setting the camera to 1.5X zoom or 2X Zoom. At full zoom the camera is actually zooming to 1800mm (1200mm X 1.5), and the same goes for 2X zoom.

That is why I would rather set the camera in Standard Zoom and watch the zoom indicator in the LCD or in the viewfinder. In Standard it goes to 50X zoom and stops. Pull the zoom lever again and it goes to 100X zoom in white and stops. Pull the zoom lever again and it goes to 200X zoom in blue.

There is nothing wrong with the rubber lens hood. Don't let the price fool you. It works perfectly and is nice in that it will collapse when you don't need or want it. The hard ones are too big and stick out too far to easily fit into a camera bag.

With the camera in Standard zoom, at 24mm the lens hood will show on the screen when the lens hood is extended. When the lens hood is retracted it does not show on the LCD. When it is extended to get rid of the vignetting the lens must be zoomed out a little. No much, just a tad. You are going to find this happening on any lens hood you put on the camera. At wide open, the camera lens can see the lens hood. They stick out too far for that not to happen.

OK, I have the zoom set to Standard so I'm good there.

Now to find a website where I can get the 67mm ring, UV lens and hood here by Thursday.  I've never been so unorganized in my life and it's gonna cost me this time!

Thanks for the help.

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Ken1
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, Oct 29, 2012

The adapter and lens hood is in my first post.  Here is the UV filter I have. It is made by Hoya and I am a firm believer in their filters.  If you have Amazon Prime is is 2 day shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TQABY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Monicakm
Like?

Ken1 wrote:

The adapter and lens hood is in my first post. Here is the UV filter I have. It is made by Hoya and I am a firm believer in their filters. If you have Amazon Prime is is 2 day shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TQABY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I think I got everything.  Had to go back and find the items eligible for Amazon Prime so they'd get here on time.  Thanks for all your help.  This is the first time I've gone with lesser known brands.  Hope it all works out.  I'm one of those that think if it costs more it must be better (g)  And I've found that usually you get what you pay for.  And I agree about the Hoya.  That's what I have on the S3 as well.  Here is what I ordered...

Bower FA-DC67A Ring Adapter Tube,Zeikos ZE-CPL67 67mm Multi-Coated Circular Polarizer Filter, Canon E67U 67mm Snap On Lens Cap, Zeikos ZE-LH67 67mm Soft Rubber Lens Hood, Hoya HMC UV(N) Filter - UV - 67 mm.

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,723
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, Oct 29, 2012

Monicakm wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

I would use the lens hood instead. I'm surprised it's not included, but looking at the specs that is the case unfortunately. Unless you're shooting in poor conditions (in which case the rest of the camera is at risk as well) you don't need a protection filter. A proper lens hood will prevent flare as well as flying debris.

No need to spend $25, there should be much cheaper but just as effective versions on ebay.

Mark

Mark, I doubt I'll have the lens hood on all the time. I know it collapses. I've never had one before so I'll figure that out when I get it, but, a couple of the reasons I use a UV fllter is to protect from dust and finger prints. The lens hood isn't going to protect from that.

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Pretty much all I use on my DSLR lenses is a lens hood, and I never worry about fingerprints - I don't touch my lens   It doesn't harm the lens element at all to clean fingerprints.  Dust isn't even on my radar.  A decent blower takes care of dust.

The filter won't do anything for lens flare, and a cheap one will make it worse.

Mark

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,500
Like?
Beware metal adapters.

Ken1 wrote:

There are two different adapters for filters for the camera that I am aware of. Amazon carries both. One, the 67mm adapter is plastic, and the other, 58mm, is metal.

I would not recommend a metal adapter on a plastic lens mount as if there is any size mismatch the adapter will cut the lens mount to fit which could work out expensive. The Lensmate adapter is the best.

cednicek
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Oct 29, 2012

Yes, I agree. UV filter or hood is better than nothing. But what I now want to find out is this problem as LensMate described. A tight fit of original Canon filter adapter. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.lensmateonline.com/articles/products/canonsx50_new_lens_size

I am getting original Canon filter lens with Canon SX50HS for Xmas, so I would like to know what to expect. Any possibility to harm the lens mechanism when applying the filter with force?

Thank you

Ken1
Like?
Re: Beware metal adapters.
In reply to Greynerd, Oct 29, 2012

I am using the metal mount and never take it off.  It has a nice tight fit and the filters are much easier to thread on.  With the plastic mount I always had a problem putting the filters on as they cross thread so easy.  To each his own.  I have both plastic and metal and like the metal one much more.

Shrub
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to cednicek, Oct 29, 2012

Hello,

I bought an SX50 yesterday and have attached a 67mm filter adapter (Polaroid version, bought from Amazon UK) and a Hoya UV filter to protect the lens. It is a tight fit but it will go on ok and so I can understand why Canon have not changed the part. After a couple of failed attempts I seem to have got it on without damaging anything. I first clipped it on, extended the lens and twisted one way with the filter whilst providing some force in the opposite direction from the lens to prevent it from twisting.

I don't know about the smaller adapters. I went with 67mm because it is the size that Canon recommend.

I am hoping for some good weather to go picture taking.......

All the best,

Jason

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,500
Like?

Ken1 wrote:

I am using the metal mount and never take it off. It has a nice tight fit and the filters are much easier to thread on. With the plastic mount I always had a problem putting the filters on as they cross thread so easy. To each his own. I have both plastic and metal and like the metal one much more.

It depends on how well the mount is made. It is possible a metal adapter is a good fit as it will machine the adapter to its own shape. I just think it is better in principle if the $300 item is stronger than the $20 item. If you can manage it have a seperate adapter for each filter as then it becomes a very quick change system. It will of course become a bit expensive if you use a lot of filters. I have a UV as a lens protector in a 58mm Lensmate and a Linear polariser in the Canon 67mm adapter. To remove the filter from the Canon one you have to hold it flat betweem palms as any side pressure locks the thread.

A well made metal adapter is probably OK but I would avoid them. Each to their own.

Ken1
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Oct 29, 2012

I ordered one of the Lensmate adapters.  I will see if it is better or worse.  Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads