Flash for olympus omd-e5

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Questions
vronv Regular Member • Posts: 229
Flash for olympus omd-e5

Hi

I am looking for a flash instead of what had been supplied with the camera.

Not big but stronger than the supplied (FL-LM2).

Thanks

Ron

vronv's gear list:vronv's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
rboate New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Flash for olympus omd-e5

I've had my EM5 for a week so I am by no means qn expert.  When I purchased it I got a FL600 as well. It seems to be a capable flash but no where near as powerful as my canon 580exII. The RC mode works well but requires line of sight between the camera and the front of the flash. If I need more power then I will move the flash off the camera and use my Chinese triggers and a vivitar 285hv.

rboate's gear list:rboate's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
OP vronv Regular Member • Posts: 229

Hi

Is Olympus FL36R compatible with olympus omd-e5 ?

Ron

Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,839

yes, the 36R is compatible

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more

Thank you

Ron

ayewing Contributing Member • Posts: 707

The FL300R is quite a handy little flash. It is more powerful than the tiny bundled flash and can be used on-camera (it tilts) or remotely controlled by the bundled flash. It is supplied with a useful little stand for freestanding use or can be mounted using the screw thread on the bottom. It is small enough to be carried in a pocket.

Of course if you need a powerful flash you need something much larger.

ayewing's gear list:ayewing's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Leica CL Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +6 more

Hi

Is FL-300R connection  to the omd-e5 is  throw the  camer's hot shoe?

Ron

Entropius Veteran Member • Posts: 4,373

You can either put it on the hotshoe or put the little included flash in the hotshoe and use it as a wireless trigger -- it'll signal metering and trigger information to the off-camera flash.

Entropius's gear list:Entropius's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
El Chubasco
El Chubasco Contributing Member • Posts: 760

I got the FL600-R. It's kind of big (someone mentioned that it was funny to see that the flash was larger than the camera) but is a very good performer. I am very happy with it. I bought Nissin before purchasing the 600 and did not like it. I would say, go for the 600-R, it was designed to work with the EM-5.

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm XP120 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 +11 more
G Sciorio Regular Member • Posts: 360

vronv wrote:

Hi

I am looking for a flash instead of what had been supplied with the camera.

Not big but stronger than the supplied (FL-LM2).

Thanks

Ron

Hey Ron,

I shoot professionally with the OM-D and use two FL600rs for my jobs although most of the time I'll use just one wirelessly. I got a ton of info on my blog and my youtube page.

Excellent and small units.

G

SmallCameraBigPicture.com

papillon_65
papillon_65 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,030
FL 36R works very well with the OMD...

I carry this flash around with me all the time and it works perfectly on the OMD. It's powerful enough for most uses and if you put decent batteries in it the recycle time is a couple of seconds (on full power). It also has zoom capability which many 3rd party flashes don't have.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
Albert Ang Regular Member • Posts: 254

G Sciorio wrote:

Hey Ron,

I shoot professionally with the OM-D and use two FL600rs for my jobs although most of the time I'll use just one wirelessly. I got a ton of info on my blog and my youtube page.

G

I'm pretty surprised you just joined dpreview Giulio. I love your blog btw.

How do you usually shoot using speedlights Giulio?

Coming from Nikon, I previously always shoot with Manual to make sure the background is properly exposed + FEC (Flash exposure)-lock on the subject's face, then shoot. Unfortunately, m43 doesn't offer FEC lock. How do you get around it esp when the subject face is off-centered (most likely this is the case if you're shooting portrait)

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC
G Sciorio Regular Member • Posts: 360

Albert Ang wrote:

G Sciorio wrote:

Hey Ron,

G

I'm pretty surprised you just joined dpreview Giulio. I love your blog btw.

How do you usually shoot using speedlights Giulio?

Coming from Nikon, I previously always shoot with Manual to make sure the background is properly exposed + FEC (Flash exposure)-lock on the subject's face, then shoot. Unfortunately, m43 doesn't offer FEC lock. How do you get around it esp when the subject face is off-centered (most likely this is the case if you're shooting portrait)

Hey Albert,

actually I've been on DPreview since early on when Phil Askey started it. I did something which ticked him off and have been banned up until now. Sooo now that I'm out of jail I can be a part of the conversation again! lol

I usually use the FL600rs wirelessly to work with the ambiant light rather then overpower it. So if I'm shooting indoors I'll put one 600 on a light stand and trigger it with the clip-on flash that came with my OMD or I'll use another 600 as the trigger.

On occasion I'll add a CTO (orange) to the light to either warm or to work with tungsten lights. I have velcro strips on my flashes and have some CTO cut to size.

For light mods I keep this pretty simple too and use a 40" or 25" shoot through umbrella. Umbrellas are very easy to work with and light to carry.

I never shoot TTL. I prefer shooting manual exposure and set flash power manually via the OMD touch screen.

I just put a video up that talks a bit about shooting outdoors with the FL600rs and coming end of November I'm going to have a TON of stuff to show.

Happy to hear you dig the blog. It's a ton of fun to do and a ton of time, but I love inspiring others to shoot and share.

G

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads