Batteries on a plane

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions
kaholt
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Batteries on a plane
Oct 28, 2012

Does anyone know if there would be a problem taking a handful of D800 batteries in my carry-on luggage?  I have to fly tomorrow and it just occured to me that I've never taken extra batteries before that werent in a checked bag.  I dont see why they should care.  The energy stored in them is a lot less than for example in a laptop battery.  However they are loose and not in the camera, and knowing TSA there is no way to predict how they would react, irrespective of what any official policy might be.  They arent cheap so leaving them behind is not an option and I'd hate to miss my flight over it.

Keith

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 11,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Batteries on a plane
In reply to kaholt, Oct 28, 2012

kaholt wrote:

Does anyone know if there would be a problem taking a handful of D800 batteries in my carry-on luggage? I have to fly tomorrow and it just occured to me that I've never taken extra batteries before that werent in a checked bag. I dont see why they should care. The energy stored in them is a lot less than for example in a laptop battery. However they are loose and not in the camera, and knowing TSA there is no way to predict how they would react, irrespective of what any official policy might be. They arent cheap so leaving them behind is not an option and I'd hate to miss my flight over it.

Keith

I've had no problems including with international flights.

If a TSA officer had a concern with a spare battery I'd offer to put the spare inside the camera and turn the camera on. This will show him for a fact that it's a real battery.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kaholt
Like?
In reply to TOF guy, Oct 28, 2012

The problem is I'm taking more batteries than will fit in the camera.  Hopefully if I do them one at a time as you are suggesting to show they are real that will be enough to convince them.  They used to make me turn on my laptop to show that it boots and actually years ago they did make me turn on my camera once and take a photograph.  I havent had to do either in a long time though.

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,106
Like?

I travel somewhat extensively over the summers and (so far) haven't had any issues with carrying a D800E (with battery inside) plus 2 spare batteries - in the original packaging and most importantly - with the plastic cap over the terminals. I think if you just had loose batteries without the plastic cap you'd run into trouble. There are some regulations concerning Lithium batteries and you absolutely need to protect the terminals - hence the original packaging and caps. I don't know if there are limitations carrying more than 2 spares - haven't needed it so I don't bother with it (a charger goes with me as well of course)

-m

Judy Stone
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?

kaholt wrote:

Does anyone know if there would be a problem taking a handful of D800 batteries in my carry-on luggage? I have to fly tomorrow and it just occured to me that I've never taken extra batteries before that werent in a checked bag. I dont see why they should care. The energy stored in them is a lot less than for example in a laptop battery. However they are loose and not in the camera, and knowing TSA there is no way to predict how they would react, irrespective of what any official policy might be. They arent cheap so leaving them behind is not an option and I'd hate to miss my flight over it.

Keith

As long as you cover each battery with its plastic cap there shouldn't be any problem. But then I have these concerns: what about the liquid cleaners (sensor kits, etc), they are flammable, should that be a problem in the carry on? And tripods?

Judy Stone's gear list:Judy Stone's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?
In reply to Judy Stone, Oct 28, 2012

You are allowed to carry batteries in your carry on luggage. You can't check them. I assume it's because the lithium batteries store a LOT of energy, and any potential problems in the carry-on would be handled by you or the crew, while something starting in the luggage compartment could go out of control too quickly before any action could be taken.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,294
Like?

As others have mentioned, the issue is one of safety — not security. Lithium cells, if shorted, can cause fires. Therefore you can't check them with your luggage, but must take them carry on. There is a limitation, the aggregate amount being no more than 25grams — but i have yet to hear a case of it being enforced.

Read this link for more info: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/01/02/understanding-the-ne.html

-- hide signature --

design guy

JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,404
Like?

I've travelled quite a lot in recent years around the USA and Europe with spare batteries along with all my camera gear as carry-on luggage - never had any issues with that.

Just make sure the battery terminals are properly covered.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
Apple & Eve website and blog : apple-and-eve.com

kaholt
Like?
In reply to JacquesC, Oct 28, 2012

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  Onto the plane I shall go with original caps on all battery terminals....

Keith

OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?

You should be fine.  I investigated 3 fires caused by cell phone batteries, but that was 15 years ago.  A paper clip in a brief case did short out a battery once, 40k damage.  Poor guy was an immigrant lawyer and took 20k in cash for a house transaction, left his office for lunch.  The last thing was to put his briefcase under the desk.

Contrary to popular opinion, stuff inside drawers where there is a modern fire department to respond almost always remains undamaged.  The cash was fine, but had a smoked plastic flavour.  One very happy guy when a cop and I handed him that cash.

I had to have an electrician do an Ohms law calculation for the fire report.  Scared me for sure.  I'm now cautious about that battery issue.  Purses, pockets, and bags.  Take care.

-- hide signature --

Retired forensic photographer.
London, Ontario, Canada.

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads