E-PM2/E-PL5 firmware update: screen size increased ;-)

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228Gear list
Like?
E-PM2/E-PL5 firmware update: screen size increased ;-)
Oct 27, 2012

In a remarkable turn of events, Olympus has not only listened to user feedback on the small usable area in native 4:3's (2.3") of their 16:9 aspect ratio 3" LCD on the E-PM2/E-PL5 models, but found a revolutionary new way to rectify the issue via firmware.

In an  associated press release,Akira Watenabe, manager of  Olympus Imaging, noted "This is part of our continuing effort to listen closely to feedback from our loyal consumers.  We were startled to learn how many purchasers of these cameras actually use them to take still images.  We had originally targeted the ever-growing market of  people shooting videos of their kittens playing."

The update requires the user to wear special glasses which "magnify" the image and to use a new setting added to their art filters collection called "normal view". The firmware update is free, the glasses are available for $400 (frames extra), and a stylish case is also available for a mere additional $90.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ron Joiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PM2/E-PL5 firmware update: screen size increased ;-)
In reply to sderdiarian, Oct 27, 2012

I need those glasses NOW!

-- hide signature --

E-30, E-510 (with 51r), E-330, ZD 11-22, ZD14-54, ZD40-150 Mk II, FL-36, ZD50 f2, Sigma 135-400, Manfrotto tripod and head http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/ http://joiner.shutterchance.com/

Ron Joiner's gear list:Ron Joiner's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,088Gear list
Like?
In reply to sderdiarian, Oct 27, 2012

sderdiarian wrote:

The update requires the user to wear special glasses which "magnify" the image and to use a new setting added to their art filters collection called "normal view". The firmware update is free, the glasses are available for $400 (frames extra), and a stylish case is also available for a mere additional $90.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

However, the aftermarket has once again come to the rescue...On Ebay or in your local drugstore can be found the low budget "Magnavision" version of the Oly glasses....or you may be able to pick them up in your local dollar store if you want the really cheap knockoff version....but those will probably not match the finish of the camera that well.

-J

sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Oct 28, 2012

jalywol wrote:

sderdiarian wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

However, the aftermarket has once again come to the rescue...On Ebay or in your local drugstore can be found the low budget "Magnavision" version of the Oly glasses....or you may be able to pick them up in your local dollar store if you want the really cheap knockoff version....but those will probably not match the finish of the camera that well.

-J

It's funny, the tiny usable screen size in mFT native format was the one thing that kept me from buying an E-PM1 immediately upon its release, and ironically saved me a bunch of $ when I did buy it a few months later at reduced cost.  It has also been an otherwise fun camera's Achilles heel, requiring me to put on and take off glasses when shooting.

Same could happen with the E-PM2.  Right now I'm too disappointed they didn't remedy such an obvious (and discussed-to-death) flaw, but may yet pick one up for its sensor quality alone once the price drops to $400-450.

And with the new 16MP sensor, when I'm shooting in 3:2 aspect ratio to have a usable image size on the LCD, my actual resolution due to the cropping will only fall to about 12MP (guessing here), not all that bad.

Hey, you can only buy what they offer for sale.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads