Ditching your DSLR?

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,920
Like?
Ditching your DSLR?
Oct 27, 2012

I think a lot of people are sick of lugging heavy bodies and lenses around but, is it time to ditch the DSLR yet?

If you bought an X Pro1 or EX1 did you ditch your DSLR, if so what do you miss if anything?

Looks like the mirror-less cameras fit the bill up to 800 ISO but they do lack telephoto etc

Or did you keep both, it would be good to hear of your experiences

Ian

Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Ditching your DSLR?
In reply to ianbrown, Oct 27, 2012

ianbrown wrote:

I think a lot of people are sick of lugging heavy bodies and lenses around but, is it time to ditch the DSLR yet?

If you bought an X Pro1 or EX1 did you ditch your DSLR, if so what do you miss if anything?

Looks like the mirror-less cameras fit the bill up to 800 ISO but they do lack telephoto etc

Or did you keep both, it would be good to hear of your experiences

Ian

No, I havent reached the point where carrying 1 kg is too much for me.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixor
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?

I ditched my Canon 40D + some good Canon glass.

The autofocus on the Canon was faster, but not enough to matter (I don't shoot much sport).

I have saved a lot of weight. I now have a lighter tripod to go with it. This is important to me, along with smaller size and bag required. It may not matter to others.

-- hide signature --

Mike

simon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351
Like?

I sold all (nearly all) of my Nikon DSLR Bodies and about 10 lenses about a month ago.  As you say, it was all getting way too heavy, some of it not being used and just a bit out of date for the type of work I do these days.

I'm not doing paid event work anymore and am seeking lighter, more portable and a fresher view to my image making.

The only gear I did keep was a Fuji S3 body and the Nikkor 35mm prime.

I have the X-E1 on order together with the 18-55mm zoom as a kit. I have also brought the 35 f/1.4

Do I miss my old gear - not a bit.  Having sold it, I have a pile of notes, spent some of it and have now changed direction and getting into the X Series.

I'll be picture taking for fun now.

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

Gaffman
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?

Im now on day 2 of my mirrorless makeover.  Sold my 5Dmk2 for just enough to get the X-E1+35mm.  I was ver apprehensive about doing this.  It wasn't the weight of my old gear that got to me but the overall size and style.  I've hung on to my nice glass for now and have an adapter on order.

But so far I love the Fuji, really impressed by how it performs in a much smaller package.  Im confident with a bit of practise I'll  be able to get results every bit as good as the Canon but the main aim is to encourage myself to take a camera with me more and shoot more.  The big canon always felt like a chore to use.  I will say the EVF is taking some getting used to, I don't think I'll ever get comfortable with seeing menus in a viewfinder

-- hide signature --

'Focus Neo...'

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Quite the opposite for me. I did start off with a t3 but got caught up in the allure of a smaller mirrorless camera. after quick romance with the panasonic g3 and Nex 7 I settled in with the xpro. While I do love the image quality I'm afraid AF just doesn't cut it for me. A big use for my camera, photographing my moving kids in low light, proves to much for it even after update and I miss so many shots while it hunts and gives me the dreaded red box. I've learned to work around it but I'm looking for one system to satisfy all my needs and since the xpro just isn't cutting it for me there I've ventured to full frame with an original 5d. People complain of its AF too but compared to the xpro and moving subjects it is waaaaay faster in my experience. Can't imagine what a mkIII would be like. I've also learned that I love the 135mm focal legnth and the x series doesn't offer anything in that range right now.

So I currently am shooting both but the true test will be my sister's wedding next weekend after which I will decide which system to truly invest into. I'm leaning towards the Canon, mainly because of available lens options, especially used market, and of course my personal need for quicker AF. I've found that it has been almost impossible to get anything for the x series cameras locally so the secondhand market is pretty much non existent here. There are two local camera shops and one doesn't own anything fujifilm at all.

Its been a very expensive "experiment" but no amount of research can compare to actually putting each system to use for a substantial amount of time IMO. If I can't get good value out of the x pro I will likely keep it. It's is amazing and the available lenses are a bargain IMO. I thought it was chunky and heavy after using the Nex but wow, after handling a 5d with a zoom and picking it up it feels like a hollow toy in comparison. It's amazing what can come of of this (relatively) little camera

Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
In reply to newone757, Oct 27, 2012

newone757 wrote:

So I currently am shooting both but the true test will be my sister's wedding next weekend after which I will decide which system to truly invest into. I'm leaning towards the Canon, mainly because of available lens options, especially used market, and of course my personal need for quicker AF. I've found that it has been almost impossible to get anything for the x series cameras locally so the secondhand market is pretty much non existent here. There are two local camera shops and one doesn't own anything fujifilm at all.

I think having both these systems is ideal for wedding photogs. The XP1 is great for when you need to be inconspicuous (although the silent X100 is even better for inside churches). The Canon system is good for everything else.

I'm selling my f2.8 zooms and DX body but keeping my D700 and primes, which I'll use with an adapter on XP1 along with the XF 35mm f1.4 and 18-55 zoom.

Vic

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small, that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
montera2
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?

I did let the S5 go with all the heavy lenses. I kept the S2 but use it at home only, and then on a tripod. I had no other options, well yes to stop the whole photography, but that was no real option. I do not just rely on the Xpro1, I have other cameras that are in size and weight suitable for the current situation. But carrying a heavy camera bag is history for me. I'm really pleased with the Xpro1 + the 35mm lens.

songeun7
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vic Chapman, Oct 27, 2012

I am thinking of ditching my DSLR too. But I love my 85mm F1.4G lens. If I get the adapter for X-E1, would AF work? How about aperture?

songeun7's gear list:songeun7's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +3 more
JimMc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,863Gear list
Like?

Using both systems. They both have their values.

JimMc's gear list:JimMc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

Seems like someone here is persistently marking down the "I ditched the DSLR and I'm happy' posts.

Why the disapproving voice/s? This is a Fuji thread right ... the company that is leading the way in quality 'mirrorless' gear - gear with DSLR beating performance.

I haven't actually ditched my Canon DSLR (or my Nikon/Contax SLRS) but they do not get much use either nowadays ...

Mainly travel photography, so weight and 'friendly' character of X100, XPro1 etc. are their biggest plusses. Everyone tends to scowl at DSLRs - far too synonymous with press photographer. I don't 'chimp' much either ... I swear other (DSLR toting) users think I'm using old film rangefinders - as do many of the subjects I point it at.

Go ahead - thumbs-down this post ....

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,909
Like?
Not ditching my DSLR and probably won't anytime soon

The weight of my DSLR kit is never really a concern but the bulk is sometimes more than I want for vacation and events not dedicated to photography and the X-Pro 1 is a perfect fit in those situations. Not only for the size but the ease of use and the X-Pro 1 is just fun to use.

My DSLR is my main camera for landscapes and occasional action and sports. Primarily for the AF performance and the lens selection but also due to quite a few features that aren't available on the X-Pro 1. I don't see giving up my DSLR system for a while. If Fuji adds some key features in the X-Pro 2 (or whatever the next model is called) then I might consider it.

M4cr0s
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?
In reply to songeun7, Oct 27, 2012

While the Nikon 85 1.4G is an exceptional lens, one of my absolute favorites, it is not really that good manual focusing (relatively short focus throw), which is what you'll have to do when it's adapted to for instance X-mount. No AF! There are two types of adapters, an "Ai" one and a "G" one, the latter feature a ring that allow rudimentary aperture adjustment, but no marked click stops. Ai lenses can be used with the "G" type adapters. All things considered the "G"-type lenses are not that practical adapted to the X-series. Optically however, they do great, at least normals and tele lenses.

There are plenty relatively cheap 75-85mm F/1.4-2.8 lenses available for various mounts. The most interesting mount for adaption is M39, due to its short flange focal distance resulting in a slightly more compact package with a narrower adapter and "tiny" rangefinder lenses. "M" mount (Leica) is also an option, but with more expensive lenses.

Mac

songeun7
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
In reply to M4cr0s, Oct 27, 2012

Thank you so much for such a detail explanation. I just hate to get rid of this Nikon 85mm f1.4g.

songeun7's gear list:songeun7's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +3 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,952Gear list
Like?

For the moment, I keep my canon 5D2 plus 5 lenses, for wildlife essentially and landscape, architecture, due to missing zooms WA and tele (coming next year)

So the cross road will be in 2013 with all the new XF lenses

OTOH, Canon might wake up and propose something else than old wine in new bottle and at a reasonable price

If not I'll probably sell all the Canon gear

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
drv320
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

I haven't ditched the DSLR...yet.  It still has its uses (e.g. shooting my son's sporting events).

I do carry it a great deal less though.  With usable ISO up to 3200, I find my X-Pro1 to perfect for most stuff I want to shoot.  The AF is up to the task for me & my shooting style.  The IQ?  Wow.

-- hide signature --

Most people would rather die than think; many do.
~Bertrand Russel

Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?

I probably will not sell my 5D II and lenses but since getting the X Pro 1 when it was first released in Canada I took out the 5 D only twice. I went to a flower photography workshop in Georgia last easter and apart from the first day used the X Pro 1 exclusively.

My son in 2nd year creative photography took the X Pro 1 as well as the 5D II to Europe but he also used the X Pro 1 exclusively (and got some wonderful shots).

I love the Canon. The 100mm macro is wonderful. I also love the 50mm F1.2. I spent a small fortune on prime lenses but it gathers dust. I won't ditch it because I am kind of possessive but I must say I think I can get along just fine with the X Pro 1 (and X100 as well). It is not just the weight for me. I am constantly amazed at the sharpness and colour fidelity. If Adobe finally gets the RAW algorithm right as was recently reported it will only get better.

M4cr0s
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?

songeun7 wrote:

Thank you so much for such a detail explanation. I just hate to get rid of this Nikon 85mm f1.4g.

Although I just sold off my last Nikon diigtal body, I can't stomach getting rid of the lenses, particularly not the 85 1.4G At least a lens like that don't depricate noticeably anymore, a safe long-term keeper. Also, I am using it a little bit on the X-Pro1 and I will get a Nikon body again in the future when the funds allow, but right now I'm not doing any professional work.

Mac

Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?

songeun7 wrote:

I am thinking of ditching my DSLR too. But I love my 85mm F1.4G lens. If I get the adapter for X-E1, would AF work? How about aperture?

Make sure you get an adapter made to work with G lenses.

I did read one review which said the lens made the setup very front heavy but I daresay you can adapt to that. Many old Nikon AIS (manual focus) lenses and "D" lenses (which are AF/manual but have an aperture ring) can be purchased cheaply as used items. They are often excellent quality so it is well worthwhile checking (say) eBay for fast old manual lenses.

Regardless of focus type they must be manually focused when used with an adapter. Metering is stop-down and you have to set the camera to either aperture priority or full manual. This will allow the camera to set a shutter speed to suit. Auto ISO and + - ev are still available.

If you are only used to full automation you may be in for a shock. However, if you are of a generation that used the first SLRs (1960s) you will remember the old stop-down lenses and the method of composing then metering a dim scene with closed aperture. If using mainly wide apertures if won't be a problem.

You also need to set the camera to "shoot without lens" since the camera will not recognise the adapter.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?

Ditching? Well that's sorta harsh.

Me, I've 'mothballed' my Canon gear since I got the X-pro1.

-Framus

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads